What future for A Armstrong?

stevy777_x

1 hour ago, stevy777_x said:

Loan?

What would be the point in a loan?

The Championship isn't a challenge for him, so where does he go to improve at 25 years old? It would leave us needing another striker for 2022/23 and then a bloated squad when Armstrong returns.

Some may point to Elyounoussi's loan to Celtic and whilst he has been better in his second spell at Saints, he really isn't the level we need to progress.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Doesn't seem to have the touch/close control to make space for a shot at this level. Could be confidence could be lack of ability, never saw him play for Blackburn so I don't know.  If it's lack of confidence then he should have been starting the last 8 games, the fact he hasn't been makes me think it's ability. Sell for loss  and reinvest.

Edited by Golac's Iron Gonads

Keep. As it stands, it's him, Adams and Nlundulu for next season. He offers something different to the other 2.

8 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Keep and get better inside forwards (redmond/armstrong/moi) to create chances on the transition - then judge.

He is our only forward who wants to shoot a lot.

And because of this.

That said, if the club uncover a treasure chest, can replace Broja, then our 10s and elsewhere, and still have pennies for an obvious upgrade, by cashing in, then go for it.

I reckon he's got it in him to be a first-rate groundskeeper, and still fairly young too. Get him training up and maybe he'll be able to spike the turf at half time by the end of next season.

1 hour ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Keep. As it stands, it's him, Adams and Nlundulu for next season. He offers something different to the other 2.

Fuck me, that sounds so devoid of any quality it's untrue. Surely Nlundulu isn't going to play any part next season? Him and a few of the other fringe lads really do need to be allowed to move on in the summer, if only for the good of their own career's.

• Like 2

Keep but we need two good strikers to come in, a perm and a loan I reckon. We are losing Broja, probably Walcott and Long so won't have much else besides Adams and AA.

Plus Bale of course, with his fortnightly training session and once a month performance.

Edit: unless we can recoup most of what we paid for AA, in which case sell and replace.

Edited by SNSUN
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Fuck me, that sounds so devoid of any quality it's untrue. Surely Nlundulu isn't going to play any part next season? Him and a few of the other fringe lads really do need to be allowed to move on in the summer, if only for the good of their own career's.

Yups. It's certainly worrying, wondering where the goals are coming from.

4 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Yups. It's certainly worrying, wondering where the goals are coming from.

A.Armstrong ................just give him a run of games and take care of some decent backroom staff to help in the teams development and tactics. Chey doesn't exactly set the front line alight and for whatever reason seems only capable of hitting static well beaten goalkeepers a number of times a season. Keep the faith Ralph bought him  deal with it.

• Like 1

I think I'd keep him/give him a chance again.

I don't think he is good enough to play up front on his own as a lone striker.

I don't know why, but I feel like he could be an okay LW if we ever wanted to play a 433 or something.

I'd like to see what a person with different ideas can do to reinvigorate him because I'm not sure he will flourish under Ralph.

7-10 goals has to be his aim next season.

9 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

What would be the point in a loan?

Depending on the deal we manage to strike with the loaning club, it would save us about £2.5m in wages next year that could be spent elsewhere. Whether he'd want to go is a different matter.

I'm hopeful the can come back next season with new found confidence and become the player we need him to be. Not confident, but hopeful.

• 2 months later...

It was a good cameo from him, he used his pace and the space behind their sleepy full backs to great effect.

I don't think he'll ever be a capable centre forward in this league, basically due to his physicality, but in a 3 playing wider of a main man could be an option to have around the squad.

• Like 1

We don’t play to his strengths, as a striker. 

To get the best from him, we need to be playing more balls in behind. 

As a striker with his back to goal, he’s total crap. 

Wouldn’t mind seeing him on the left in a 433

Good to see AA show some form. Hopefully he can build some momentum and show his talents.  Always thought he was a tidy player, good in tight spaces, quick feet, thinks quickly and has pace. He is a good striker not only based on his CL scoring, but on Broja comments, that he was the best finisher at the club, in training at least 😉 

• Like 2

The performance this weekend reminded me a bit of Long's second season here, when he played wider with Pelle the focal point. Using his pace to run in the channels rather than through the middle, and press. I think there could be a useful player in there for us this season, if we can figure out how to get him, Aribo and Armstrong into the team without wasting one of them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

The performance this weekend reminded me a bit of Long's second season here, when he played wider with Pelle the focal point. Using his pace to run in the channels rather than through the middle, and press. I think there could be a useful player in there for us this season, if we can figure out how to get him, Aribo and Armstrong into the team without wasting one of them.

Can we play a 4-2-3-1 system? 

I don’t mind the idea of that. I just wish we had used some of pre season to try some of this.

problem with a 4-2-3-1 is that until Perraud is due does Djenepo need to play LB

2 minutes ago, MAY-Z said:

Can we play a 4-2-3-1 system? 

I don’t mind the idea of that. I just wish we had used some of pre season to try some of this.

problem with a 4-2-3-1 is that until Perraud is due does Djenepo need to play LB

No he doesn’t. You can play a RB on the right, one who all here have overlooked, and KWP on the left. Not ideal, but I give you….Valery! 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Gingeletiss said:

No he doesn’t. You can play a RB on the right, one who all here have overlooked, and KWP on the left. Not ideal, but I give you….Valery! 

I thought of that and moved on! 

But maybe if it means we have a more balanced formation it could be worth trying?

4 hours ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Yep good point. Watched a lot of Aribo now more than ever it’s a squad game. I laughed when a few kicked off because Joe wasn’t in the starting line up. 
it would have been insane to start him. It’s his only fault he doesn’t know when to pace himself. 
Adama looks a rejuvenated player , after that team huddle at a very handy drinks break he was straight back on the pitch to his new position with great effect.

1 hour ago, Gingeletiss said:

If you were at the game on Saturday getting a full view of the pitch JWP was quietly. sliding in to right back while KWP was given more freedom to run the right wing. 

• 2 months later...

I think it's time to face the facts - Adam is not up to it at PL level. He just looks lost. Despite a good team performance today he made no good contributions. Never knows when to make a run, and doesn't have the quality to make chances for himself. When he did get the ball in a good position on the edge of the Arsenal box, he had no idea what to do and just mis-kicked it straight to a defender.

Sorry to say it, because I like his effort, but if he was ever likely to be a success here we would surely have seen at least some sign of it by now. 

Edited by Sheaf Saint
  • Like 3

Don't see this he looks lost at all.

Sure he's not the deadly Ings replacement we were hoping for but he's definitely deserving of being around the starting xi of this squad currently. Personally i'd like to see us bring back Tella and have him challenge for that spot but right now Armstrong is ahead of Walcott/Djenepo/Mara/Edozie as a starter.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Don't see this he looks lost at all.

Sure he's not the deadly Ings replacement we were hoping for but he's definitely deserving of being around the starting xi of this squad currently. Personally i'd like to see us bring back Tella and have him challenge for that spot but right now Armstrong is ahead of Walcott/Djenepo/Mara/Edozie as a starter.

I'd prefer Edozie to Adam Armstrong but maybe he's not quite ready for the full 90 minutes yet. In the short time he was on the pitch, he was our best attacking player.

On one occasion in the 2nd half, Adam Armstrong found himself through on goal and you knew it was 100% certain he wouldn't make anything of it. He scuffed the ball to a defender and seemed almost relieved that he didn't have to shoot. His nerves are shot.  It's cruel leaving him out there. 

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Like 4

Wasn't it AA who was the decoy runner for the goal?

He got into some good areas throughout the game. He has no confidence, and the entire team struggled to complete a pass until into the second half, and he was no different to them.

He does a fair bit of running to close down the opponents, stretches the play when we have it, gets as much service as the other attackers (not much). Had a one on one and fluffed it.

Edozie looked fearless and attack minded when he came on. Leaving aside me thinking he takes on too many, it's good to see. I don't think Ralph's looking for that when he puts his team out. He might see Edozie losing that ball, as offering our opponents room to attack and catch us out. AA is a safer bet, with an Edozie or a Djenepo to come on later, when their energy can pin teams back.

Not to say this couldn't change as Edozie gets a bit more experience. But I think AA gives Ralph most of what's expected of him (some goals would be nice)

• Like 2

Whilst I wouldn’t argue that AA is good enough, or even a better option than Edozie, there is something to be said for the timing of when we use them. Today Arteta made two changes on 70 minutes. We immediately responded by bringing on Walcott and Adams, followed by Sam, five minutes later. Regardless of who’s better, it worked. Those subs at those times nullified Arsenal trying to change the direction of the game and we basically kept the momentum throughout the second half and five minutes of injury time. At no point after we equalised did it ever look like we were backs to the wall.

• Like 1

Sorry, but I think he's an awful player, he just can't see the picture.   When he gets the chance he can get us up the pitch, but he plays with his head down and runs up blind alleys.  When he plays instinctively (goal against Leed?) he's not bad,  but when he has time to think about it, he'll mess it up, just like he did today.  He's just not going to cut it at this level.  Get rid. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

He's just not good enough at this level. End of. 

This. Obvious for anyone to see.

The fact he has started so many games this season just highlights our lack of credible forward options.

That moment today where he got onto the misplaced pass should be what he thrives on, one vs one with a retreating CB in a central area and he did what everyone expected...didnt even get a shot away.

Works hard but that should be expected. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

It's like watching a shit Shane Long.

Yep. Shane would probably have scored more than AA in the same number of games too in fairness.

It’s a shame, because I really want him to do well for us and for himself, but he just isn’t a Premier League quality player. You can get away with being a small striker in this league if you have the speed, awareness and skillset as history of smaller forwards has shown us. Using the example of our other Championship striker purchase, Che has grown into this league both physically and mentally, and despite his average goal return he looks a Prem player, AA just doesn’t. 

If we kept the receipt maybe we can take him back to Blackburn and give Brereton-Diaz a go instead 😂

On 14/08/2022 at 08:51, SNSUN said:

Didn't he play wider for Blackburn? Maybe that's his best position. He has pace so maybe we should class him more as an AM than a striker.

😎

He's played better on the left this season than he did last season but I agree that despite being fairly quick and working hard, he doesn't have much to give in the Premier League. If we had signed a better striker in the summer then we'd hardly have seen AA this season. I don't mind him, Ralph obviously likes his work ethic but he cannot lead the line - and that is why he's replaceable. I would be extremely surprised if we didn't bring in a striker in January - then we'll see what becomes of him.