Saints 0-1 Man Utd: Post Match

Saint_clark

An entertaining game that was won by an out of the blue strike from a world class player. Having those sort of players on the payroll is the difference between a good side and a top side. Otherwise the two teams were very evenly matched and I would argue that we edged it and deserved to win. Certainly we were more cohesive and together than United which bodes well for the season and the automatism is beginning to emerge.

Let's face it this was a free hit against one of the big teams and few would have expected us to get anything from the match. Our obvious disappointment with the outcome should be tempered by the fact that we ran a big team so close. As for the penalty dispute, it really shouldn't be necessary for us to rely on free kicks for our points, we had plenty of chances from open play but we still don't know how to convert them into goals. That's what we should be grumbling about, the lack of quality in the final third..

Top marks to all the lads today, to a man they played their hearts out and deserved a better outcome. Play like this on Tuesday and we could be in for a big upset.

• Like 8

A battling performance from us today and we deserved at least a point from it. ABK just makes it look so easy, he was top drawer today :) Lavia and Aribo quality too :) how did we not get a penalty today in the 2nd half for a blatant handball! Absolute joke really. Hopefully we can take this into Tuesday nights game and get the win. Ralph has said we are confident when asked about getting a striker in, fingers crossed its Ramos.

Edited by davefizzy14

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

An entertaining game that was won by an out of the blue strike from a world class player. Having those sort of players on the payroll is the difference between a good side and a top side. Otherwise the two teams were very evenly matched and I would argue that we edged it and deserved to win. Certainly we were more cohesive and together than United which bodes well for the season and the automatism is beginning to emerge.

Let's face it this was a free hit against one of the big teams and few would have expected us to get anything from the match. Our obvious disappointment with the outcome should be tempered by the fact that we ran a big team so close. As for the penalty dispute, it really shouldn't be necessary for us to rely on free kicks for our points, we had plenty of chances from open play but we still don't know how to convert them into goals. That's what we should be grumbling about, the lack of quality in the final third..

Top marks to all the lads today, to a man they played their hearts out and deserved a better outcome. Play like this on Tuesday and we could be in for a big upset.

Excuse my curiosity, but does more than one person have login access to your account on here Charlie...? :)

#JekyllandHyde

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

the handball was just reviewed on BT Sport - all 3 pundits say it was handball but Peter Walton the "expert" ref making a case why it wasn't given - "close proximity" wtf

Walton ought to have a second career as a criminal defence barrister. He defends the indefensible week in, week out. 

• Haha 1

Didn’t think we deserved to lose we were so much better the majority of the game - looking at the players we now have on the pitch that result looks like it’s going to smart. As has been said already we just lacked a clinical edge, that could be done to the youthful age of our team, getting too excited when it came to shooting.

Few numpties calling out JWP, actually sat in the stadium watching, his game was giving Lavia his head and plugging his gaps letting him grow. Salisu and Kotchup are beginning to gel nicely. They are both nippers in that position and looked tidy. With Lavia at the tip of the triangle can only get better. Baz between the sticks is beginning to bed himself in, the consistency with which he pinged balls out to Che was impressive.

Driving to the game some Trout on Radio 5 said we were going down, “sorry”, what I have seen these past few games if we fall through the trapdoor I will be shocked………………..still 34 games left so plenty of time to be Saints.

• Like 3

I felt far better leaving the ground yesterday than I did with a point against Leeds.  As others have said, a brilliant finish from a hugely expensive player was the only difference.  If we play that way most weeks we will pick up points.  The new signings all bring something albeit we will have to be patient with some ups and downs.

The biggest plus for me, having been banging on about the need to average conceding one goal per game if we are going to get anywhere, is that we actually look capable of doing that.  For me that is the critical stat, conceding two per game will send us down.  The two centre backs look like they enjoy playing with each other.  And as a big critic of Moussa I have to say fair play to the lad, he really has worked hard to help out the team in an unfamiliar position.

• Like 2

I haven't read the other comments but just to say how Manchester United have come down in the world, having to grind out an away win based on a single breakaway goal and deliberate fouling to stop any Saints attacks developing, but not around the box within JWP range. Perhaps they can't afford decent players anymore?

OK, so tongue in cheek but a fair bit of truth in there too. As to Saints, I was pleased enough with their performance. Lavia and ABK look real assets, but nobody had a bad game. My impression is that Armstrong is playing better and more involved so perhaps he'll start to get a better return this season, perhaps more on the assist front. I predicted SA would come on for Elyounoussi but the latter was solid enough. Che was making a real nuisance of himself, but when all is said and done I think we need a new striker, even if they work in tandem.

The result was a bit deflating, the performance less so.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Did they discuss the handball on MOTD?

Briefly. They were of the belief that it was ''too close'' to give (ffs), but they spent more time debating on the one given last week (The Villa game) and how that should have also not been given, where is the consistency etc. Poor Stevie G.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

We definitely need a striker, can't be putting Lyanco up front chasing a game (although I admire the thinking behind it)

We definitely need some attacking options, yesterday we only had 2 attackers on the bench, Armstrong and Mara. How can we go on like that, a couple of injuries and we have nothing, not even Long. This is assuming Redmond and Walcott are leaving of course. Not sure loaning out Tella was the greatest idea, though he seems to have discovered how to score at Burnley.

5 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

We definitely need some attacking options, yesterday we only had 2 attackers on the bench, Armstrong and Mara. How can we go on like that, a couple of injuries and we have nothing, not even Long. This is assuming Redmond and Walcott are leaving of course. Not sure loaning out Tella was the greatest idea, though he seems to have discovered how to score at Burnley.

Agreed Vectis.  At one time we thought that Adam A. was a goalscoring striker (?)...and Djenepo was an attacking forward.

Now both have been given new roles, and seem to be looking the part, but won't get any closer to the area where they can score goals.

Having grown up watching the likes of George Kirby and Ron Davies, ...then skipping a few decades to James Beattie, Rickie Lambert

and laterly Graziano Pelle,  I really do miss seeing a big CF who can terrorise defenders and knows where the back of the net is.

Although Che Adams puts himself about a bit and takes the knocks, he's still not coming up with the numbers on a regular basis. 

YES  I know .... he's got 4 goals already, but if he's still in single figures by New Year, he really won't be DAJFU that we might have hoped for. 

Mara and Aribo are beginning to show up, but its hard to adapt to the Prem. and I'm not sure we've got that sort of time to experiment. 

• Like 1

Was weird to justify our one not being given by focusing on one that was less of a handball that was given last week. They seemed to see it as some kind of confirmation that last week was a mistake, rather than our one being the mistake. The reality is our one would not have been overturned by VAR had it been given I don’t suspect, and typically we didn’t get it.

It was only three handballs in one go. The first could be interpreted as too close even though his hand was not really in an unnatural position. The second was after it had bounced off his left arm and maybe it could be described as accidental. For the third however he swatted the ball away with his right hand and there’s no excuse for that. 

“Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action”

Ian Fleming

• Like 4

I don’t think it was 3, I think Adams handled with the third one when he was claiming for the first two. The first one was absolutely blatant though. The only good reason I could think that VAR didn’t give it was that it was outside the box, therefore not for VAR to look at. It was close but I think it was in the box, but that’s the only reasonable instance I can think of as to why the first handball in particular would not be given.

59 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I don’t think it was 3, I think Adams handled with the third one when he was claiming for the first two. The first one was absolutely blatant though. The only good reason I could think that VAR didn’t give it was that it was outside the box, therefore not for VAR to look at. It was close but I think it was in the box, but that’s the only reasonable instance I can think of as to why the first handball in particular would not be given.

With the view from the Chapel it certainly looks as though Adams handle the third time but the view from behind the goal looks different.

21 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

20 hours ago, trousers said:

Excuse my curiosity, but does more than one person have login access to your account on here Charlie...? :)

#JekyllandHyde

Thank you, Trousers! I've been thinking this for a while. A perfectly good personal appraisal by Charlie, well done. And yet, sometimes...

14 hours ago, Kingsbridge Saint said:

The game was only lost because JWP allowed Fernandes to run off him. He was marking no-one and walking when Fernandes was left free to shoot. A bit of pressure could have made a big difference. 

100% correct. JWP was looking a little off the pace … Perhaps because we now have several players who are a step up now.

Typical Man Utd fixture, with the media trying to suggest that they were totally superior to Saints, whereas United

may look back and think it was the hardest 3 points they will earn this season.  Even though he took home the points 

on every visit to So'ton, Jose Mourinho was justifiably scared sh*tless every time he came to SMS with United.

Saints " new look" young side coming together well in quite a short time with " the new crew" costing just  £60 million

together and I think we have some real bargains, both in midfield and at the back.

Unfortunately United have the wherewithal to pay a similar amount for just one player who was their match winner.

(The Liverpool result showed the real disparity between the " top end clubs" , and those with pretensions to being a Top 20 club).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

I wonder what would happen at Old Trafford if a visiting player juggled the ball with his arms, then slapped it away with his hand?

2 penalties awarded and a red card for a denial of a goal scoring opportunity I'd imagine.

• Like 3

Let us just accept that VAR is not for the likes of us. If we get decisions it will disrupt the Premier League ‘Project’. I can accept that a ref on field may not see everything but the sh*tshower at Crossley Park have no excuse. They are paid by the PL, PL wants sales to the Asian markets where the command of English is limited to ‘ManU’, ergo Crossley Park is bent. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1