January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

19 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

He's definitely a "safe" midfielder, but if he had the passing ability of De Bruyne he wouldn't be playing for us.  Personally I think he's just fine, probably not quite at that top level and probably never will be.  But I do think he'd look better in a better side.

He’s clearly not at De Bruyne’s level, however he could be our version of Saha or to some extent even MLT. At the moment he’s neither a really competent defensive mid or a link-up attack minded mid…his set pieces are not as potent. To be honest I’m struggling to see his value at all, which is a shame because he’s definitely got the ability to be more.

33 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

PSV Eindhoven director Marcel Brands has said Leeds made an offer of £30m plus £11m in bonuses for Netherlands winger Cody Gakpo, 23, last summer. (ESPN - in Dutch)

No doubt putting it out there ahead of January window, to drum up some serious money. But shows what we were bidding against in the end.

If we're not willing to operate in that sort of market, then we will be relegated. What we're 'up against' are PL teams, if we cannot compete with other PL teams then we should pack up and travel to Millwall.

Football has moved on from the days you could pick up a Wanyama or VVD for £10m and as a club we've never quite moved with the times. Expecting to find another Mane for £10m and ending up with Remond is an example of that.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

If we're not willing to operate in that sort of market, then we will be relegated. What we're 'up against' are PL teams, if we cannot compete with other PL teams then we should pack up and travel to Millwall.

Football has moved on from the days you could pick up a Wanyama or VVD for £10m and as a club we've never quite moved with the times. Expecting to find another Mane for £10m and ending up with Remond is an example of that.

It's a fair point. I'm not over the fee for David Hirst. 🙂

On 06/11/2022 at 22:34, Turkish said:

Luis Suarez will be a free agent in January. He’s 35 now but we could do a lot worse 

Joking aside Nathan Jones is probably one of the few managers that could offer a new perspective to Suarez at 35.  Never to old to learn...

I find it hard to believe that we *won't* sign a striker. But, to sign a good one at this stage of the season will probably cost a fortune. So, we'll either spend a fortune (not likely?) or we'll get a not-very-good striker to join the collection that we already have at the club...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mcbendy said:

I find it hard to believe that we *won't* sign a striker. But, to sign a good one at this stage of the season will probably cost a fortune. So, we'll either spend a fortune (not likely?) or we'll get a not-very-good striker to join the collection that we already have at the club...

It was a huge cock up in the summer to not bring in one. Joe Shields’ fault and then he fucked off

• Like 1

January hard window for a striker, I wonder if we'll look at the championship. 

Viktor Gyorekes looks to be one of the best strikers in the division, seems Everton picked Maupay over him in the summer because Coventry wanted more money upfront than Brentford did.

17 league goals last season and 7 so far this. 6ft2, but looks like he has good movement and finishing. Has given some opposition defences the run around this season by all accounts.

Not a recommendation by myself as such, just thinking what the club will do.

19 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Ben Brereton-Diaz.  You heard it here first

I wonder if Wolves and Leeds might also be considering him.

He'd be another player I suggested we sign when he was a nipper only for us to recruit many years later. With Redmond and Aribo not exactly working out, I am wondering if we should pass on Diaz.

I think if we’re signing a striker it’s going to be in a few different brackets.

1) Playing in England with less that 18 months (probably 6) left on their contract.

2) Playing for a European club that’s gone out of European competition and they need the money

3) In someone’s academy but we think good enough to play

4) Squad filler for another club on loan

Will be very interesting to see who we end up with, because we need someone to come in and hit the ground running, but also we won’t be ripped off. I don’t doubt we’ll go back in for Gakpo, but no chance of signing him now IMO, or try get Broja back on loan for 6 months. Let’s hope we don’t have a deal close for a player then they have a storming World Cup and their value multiplies by 10. 

• Like 2

Gyorekes was excellent for Coventry in the FA Cup game against us. 

Our only chance with Gakpo is by basically saying you are going to be our main man, if we get relegated you can leave and if we get an offer at £x million we will leave let you leave. 

Although I think that ship has sailed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

I think if we’re signing a striker it’s going to be in a few different brackets.

1) Playing in England with less that 18 months (probably 6) left on their contract.

2) Playing for a European club that’s gone out of European competition and they need the money

3) In someone’s academy but we think good enough to play

4) Squad filler for another club on loan

Will be very interesting to see who we end up with, because we need someone to come in and hit the ground running, but also we won’t be ripped off. I don’t doubt we’ll go back in for Gakpo, but no chance of signing him now IMO, or try get Broja back on loan for 6 months. Let’s hope we don’t have a deal close for a player then they have a storming World Cup and their value multiplies by 10. 

#2 please 

On 04/11/2022 at 15:13, qwertyell said:

February at a minimum, I reckon. End of April he did his ACL. 9 months is normally standard. 

He was back running on the pitches like a month ago, I think he's ahead of schedule. Some players come back from ACLs in 6 months, so i think he'll be ready in the new year.

I mean to be honest he was one of our best players last season, certainly for the first half, having him, Lavia and KWP out over recent games is a massive blow to the squad and impacts performances.

Just getting those 3 back fit will improve the team massively. Our fullbacks have always been key in creative play as well.

----------------------

I think the Gakpo ship has sailed, he seems to be getting better and better, he has 18 goals and 16 assists in all competitions so far this year from just 30 games. In the league he has 21 goal contributions from just 13 games.  I think clearly you'll see a Champions League level club go for him, maybe not a Man City or Bayern level just yet but I think like a Spurs, Dortmund, Milan etc. level club. 

--------------------------

Didn't Manji say in another thread that we already have two signings lined up for Jan? 

3 hours ago, saintrich said:

January hard window for a striker, I wonder if we'll look at the championship. 

Viktor Gyorekes looks to be one of the best strikers in the division, seems Everton picked Maupay over him in the summer because Coventry wanted more money upfront than Brentford did.

17 league goals last season and 7 so far this. 6ft2, but looks like he has good movement and finishing. Has given some opposition defences the run around this season by all accounts.

Not a recommendation by myself as such, just thinking what the club will do.

Some merit to Gyorekes but he lacks pace

5 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Ben Brereton-Diaz.  You heard it here first

I watch a lot of him (for obvious reasons) and am not entirely convinced. He knows where the goal Is right enough and works hard but he is ultra greedy and hardly ever plays in another person who is better placed. Flying out to Chile every other month is knackering him. He looked shattered last week. Maybe we can let them have AA back in part exchange. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tajjuk said:

He was back running on the pitches like a month ago, I think he's ahead of schedule. Some players come back from ACLs in 6 months, so i think he'll be ready in the new year.

I mean to be honest he was one of our best players last season, certainly for the first half, having him, Lavia and KWP out over recent games is a massive blow to the squad and impacts performances.

Just getting those 3 back fit will improve the team massively. Our fullbacks have always been key in creative play as well.

Someone on here with more knowledge than me about ACL injuries pointed to the fact that running in straight lines is a very different from being fit enough to handle the rigours and movement of playing football, so he may still be a while before we see him.

He started extremely well and was fantastic going forward initially, but IMO he was pretty average to poor for a while before he got injured. KWP should have replaced long before he did. His defending is not the greatest at times. He ball watches badly. Obviously I want to see him back and pushing for a starting place, but I am not confident he will solve all our ills. Creatively certainly is one of those, so maybe I am wrong. 

23 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I watch a lot of him (for obvious reasons) and am not entirely convinced. He knows where the goal Is right enough and works hard but he is ultra greedy and hardly ever plays in another person who is better placed. Flying out to Chile every other month is knackering him. He looked shattered last week. Maybe we can let them have AA back in part exchange. 

Do you think he has the quality to play in the Prem? 

The AA idea is not crazy, but we'd have to give him a massive payoff to balance the different wage bills. Those moves never happen.

Have to say that I am not terribly fussed about how greedy a striker is. I want him to shoot on site if he is on form, not pass. Armstrong is completely selfless and that has not helped us at all. When strikers are passing rather than shooting its because they have lost confidence in themselves and are taking the easy way out. OK, yes there will be the odd occasion when a square pass rather than a shot would have meant a goal, but in general strikers shoot better than they pass - and with the game as fast as it is the passing window is often very small anyway - so just take on yourself.

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

Do you think he has the quality to play in the Prem? 

The AA idea is not crazy, but we'd have to give him a massive payoff to balance the different wage bills. Those moves never happen.

Have to say that I am not terribly fussed about how greedy a striker is. I want him to shoot on site if he is on form, not pass. Armstrong is completely selfless and that has not helped us at all. When strikers are passing rather than shooting its because they have lost confidence in themselves and are taking the easy way out. OK, yes there will be the odd occasion when a square pass rather than a shot would have meant a goal, but in general strikers shoot better than they pass - and with the game as fast as it is the passing window is often very small anyway - so just take on yourself.

He's probably worth a punt is the answer. It will be interesting to see him v Burnley on Sunday. A quality striker does bring others into play but BB hardly gets his head up.

18 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

He's probably worth a punt is the answer. It will be interesting to see him v Burnley on Sunday. A quality striker does bring others into play but BB hardly gets his head up.

We took a punt on Armstrong and he is massively not Premier League quality. We would have reached the point in January where we cannot afford to take a chance. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

We took a punt on Armstrong and he is massively not Premier League quality. We would have reached the point in January where we cannot afford to take a chance. 

We can if we get in another established striker. Personally I'm hoping for a creative midfielder, two strikers and a cm. Probably unlikely in January but you never know. 

8 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Said it numerous times 

Paul onuachu scored like 12 goals this season. 

Good record at Genk the targetman type we are crying out for 

He certainly scores a shed load of goals.

Did he pay against us when us was at Midtjylland? I don't remember him.