Aston Villa 1-0 Saints - Match Thread

whelk

9 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

That 11 has a plenty enough to beat a struggling villa .

yep agree mate .. think Amn and the skipper will form a good partnership in there .. 

saints - 1-2 

Aribo and Adams 

I've not watched much of Villa this season but did see them battle to a 1-1 draw against Man City and thought they looked quite good at times. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, egg said:

Yep. I have a feeling AMN will do well for us. 

I don't think he's the kind of player some people seem to think he is.

As a replacement for Lavia, he doesn't have the ball winning ability. He'd just be a like for like swap with Diallo - a good athlete who is pretty average on the ball but a willing runner.

After letting Romeu go, we have noone else in the squad who can play the holding role aside from Lavia.

Wouldn't surprise me if - out of desperation - we see Lyanco have a go at it at some point. 

Villa won't find our lightweight midfield much of an obstacle to get past, IMHO.

Edited by qwertyell
  • Like 1

When we do well we always seem to do well against Villa and if Ralph can sort himself out on team selection, there is no reason why we cannot do well once more.

Our defence has improved but is by no means perfect, that elusive clean sheet is more often than not denied by silly errors or lapses of concentration. Even in a system using full backs as wingers surely defending must take priority because if you don't concede you can't lose. I expect those messages are being learned slowly but doubt that all the leaks have been fixed yet. 

The loss of Romeu has been a bigger blow than we have realised, even more so with the now untimely loss of Lavia. Oriol had a brilliant partnership with JWP at times and they could dominate midfield but the skipper has so far not linked up well with either Lavia or Diallo. We don't know yet if Larios is ready for a run out in the first team but his inclusion or more likely that of AMN or Ćaleta-Car will further upset the dynamic and need time to gel. We will struggle for control.

Aribo and Elyonoussi are enigmas when it comes to creativity and do not inspire confidence (in me) but seem to be the automatic picks for AMF positions. Armstrong and Djenepo are options off the bench but arguably no better while Edozie surely cannot be ready to take up such an important role. 

Up front our less than dynamic duo persist in using lots of brawn with little brain but in fairness do find the back of the net from time to time and not always sitter's. Mara we are told is extravagantly gifted but so far judged not good enough to start (Boufal?) and then there is Theo...

All in all this is likely to be a classic bore draw 0-0 or 1-1. Our improving defence will keep us in the game but midfield mayhem and continuing up front woes will limit our scoring opportunities.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, qwertyell said:

As a replacement for Lavia, he doesn't have the ball winning ability. He'd just be a like for like swap with Diallo - a good athlete who is pretty average on the ball but a willing runner.

After letting Romeu go, we have noone else in the squad who can play the holding role aside from Lavia.

Wouldn't surprise me if - out of desperation - we see Lyanco have a go at it at some point. 

Villa won't find our lightweight midfield much of an obstacle to get past, IMHO.

I disagree. I believe he will add a bit of power to the midfield. I dn't know that much about him, having only taken notice after he was linked with us before joining West Brom, but I liked a lot of what I saw.

I like much of what I see in Diallo, too, but get him further forward.

Don't even consider Lyanco in midfield.

Just my opinion.

• Like 4

Assuming that Villa start with 3 in the middle then we need to match up. It was Villa that first exploited our 2 in the middle last season by overrunning us and Coutinho providing the creative spark, others followed of course. We should start with 4 at the back, with JWp, AMN and Diallo in the middle, Moi, AA and Adams upfront. Second half bring on Aribo, Stu and Edozie to go for it assuming we are not already winning.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, qwertyell said:

I assumed that was what ANM was largely for? Failing that, Lyanco or even DCC could sit in  CDM role with JWP/Diallo/Armstrong in front of them. I wouldn't be too concerned. We're a different beast this year physically - ABC and MS are giants in defence, and we've got a GK who can finally kick long which means we can use Adams as a proper target man and get runners off him - equally the pace and power of our back line (and bazunu's sweeping) means we can properly push up and press teams without the same fears on the counter. We won't be easy to beat IMO, and that means we'll get more points as we can hold onto wins. Even if Villa get some of their refereeing bias, and even if Ings turns it on - i still think we will have a chance to win the game, and i still think we'll finish above villa this year regardless.

Living as I do in North Shropshire there are numerous Villains amongst us. However, I have exchanged 'opinions' with two or three and, to a man all are shit scared of our new

signings. "That lad 'Tomato Ketchup is outstanding'"  One even said 'you will hammer us. Che Adams don't like us and seeks to do the business' . Also, 'if we lose this Gerrard is gone.' My main advice for Saints Fans on Friday is 'Enjoy the win but, Don't buy the coffee. It's absolute crap. Have a Bovril instead.'

COYS

• Like 3

Can't believe people are suggesting DCC or Lyanco in midfield. They're both centre backs. Ralph will play midfielders in midfield. For those saying that AMM ain't Romeo or Romeu, of course he's not, he's AMM. He's been desperate to prove himself as a midfielder for ages and I have no doubt he signed to be play there when he can. He'll do ok, this is a big opportunity for him. 

We'll be ok on Friday. 2-1 to Saints. 

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, egg said:

Can't believe people are suggesting DCC or Lyanco in midfield. They're both centre backs. Ralph will play midfielders in midfield. For those saying that AMM ain't Romeo or Romeu, of course he's not, he's AMM. He's been desperate to prove himself as a midfielder for ages and I have no doubt he signed to be play there when he can. He'll do ok, this is a big opportunity for him. 

I don’t get it either. He’s the quite obvious choice to replace Lavia in the short term. 

27 minutes ago, egg said:

I thought he was AMN? 😉

• Like 1

I have no idea about this starting team, part of me wants to see edozie start but I'll assume he'll be a 60mins + sub for a while to run at tiring legs.

Wonder how/where DCC will fit in, I can't believe we will swap to 3 at back again just to play him given how much better we've looked.

Mara I'd like to see play a bit more as well.

5 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Now that Jack Stephens has left, it didn't take long for us on Saintsweb to start suggestions for one of our remaining defenders to convert to a midfielder did it? Has anyone informed Caleta Car or Lyanco about their new roles yet?

I think both would be very well suited to the front sweeper role...

• Like 1

Team picks itself

Bazunu

KWP        ABK     Salisu    Perraud

JWP      AMN

Aribo           S Arm        A Arm

Adams

Edozie and Mara to make an impact off the bench if its tight

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

I do find it funny the amount of fans who have berated Ralph for over complicating stuff, playing players in positions they’re not comfortable in etc etc, then some are suggesting our new CB and another CB should play in midfield, baffling. 

Yes, I've seen SO many people who call Ralph out for playing players "out of position" and then go onto suggest that KWP should be deployed as a winger.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Team picks itself

Bazunu

JWP      AMN

Adams

........ or perhaps not!

11 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Team picks itself

Bazunu

JWP      AMN

Adams

Djenepo instead of Parraud IMO

2 hours ago, SambaMaverick said:

How useless was Perraud against Wolves btw? Tub of lard looked out of puff inside about 20 minutes, let's hope he's been working on that during this break. I'd start Djenepo.

Looked like he ran himself into the ground.

• Like 2

Got a feeling we'll turn up on Friday well up for it. I'm not sure many people realise how good ABK is yet. The only shame is Lavia is out but Diallo has never had a real run of games since he's been here so that's why I've kept him in for now. Big Joe to have a stormer. I think a draw isn't a bad result but I'm actually going to go glass half full... 2-1 Saints. Their defence is getable, we just have to keep their attacking side quiet.

In the words of Gary Wackett, "let's fucking kill them!"

Cj-CdUZWgAAqPiH.jpg

On 13/09/2022 at 19:50, whelk said:

We always beat Villa on a Friday evening 

Didn't their manager get sacked after that win as well? I'm not convinced Gerrard is as close to getting the push even if we do with to be honest. 

Last year's terrible display at Villa Park was also following an event of historical significance, didn't we have a minutes silence for Ukraine with a free blue and yellow scarf in the away end, not sure if the club will hand out free merch for this one but no doubt a minutes silence again. 

10 hours ago, JRM said:

Didn't their manager get sacked after that win as well? I'm not convinced Gerrard is as close to getting the push even if we do with to be honest. 

Last year's terrible display at Villa Park was also following an event of historical significance, didn't we have a minutes silence for Ukraine with a free blue and yellow scarf in the away end, not sure if the club will hand out free merch for this one but no doubt a minutes silence again. 

Yes we did and it all created a very subdued atmosphere, that and the freezing wind, the terrible away “pub” and Saints not turning up also didn’t help. I don’t think the Queen's demise  will have the same effect. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Aston Villa 1-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic