Ruben Selles

Dusic

After creating a one man shortlist which consisted of Jesse Marsch and nobody else, we've somehow managed to employ someone worse than Nathan Jones and title them as manager. At least Jones gave us the City win and never played that team again. Our two wins under Selles were scrappy and can't remember us putting in a good performance under him. Managing us to a loss against League Two Grimsby being the particular highlight. There were already alarm bells regarding him following the draw against League One Sheffield Wednesday in his one game in November.

He's the players best mate, which you can tell in his interviews when he refuses to give any truths and just gives wishy washy answers saying we're going to keep fighting when we've been down and out of fight for months. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

How one man can be so completely and utterly blind not too mention negative and absolutely clueless is beyond me .. the teams he picks do exactly what any sane person knows they are gonna do .. every week he picks the absolutely most negative possible and every week we create fuck all

for the people that think jones was worse was he fuck! Are you really that short sighted to let a couple of extra points blind you away from selles team sheets making absolutely no sense whatsoever .. jones was starting to play 433 with edozie starting most games, the line up he started in his last game would be what we are would be seeing now and it’s a thousand times better then selles..

we are also letting this absolute bellend waste every signing we made in the January window bar Alcaraz 

of all the bad moves we have made this year giving this guy the job in a relegation battle is the worst of the lot 

In fairness it hasn't really mattered who he picked as a starting XI, nothing has worked simply because we have the worst group ever of players on our hands.

That's not an excuse for Selles, he's had a fair crack of the whip and his limitations have been self evident. His tenure has achieved nothing. He must go.

• Like 1

This pitiful wimp of a manager makes Claude Puel look like a balls-out, gung-ho, kamikaze tactical maestro.

I hate losing but I absolutely despise the kind of abject surrender we've seen under this asshole. The only reason he'd ever look himself in the mirror is to make sure there's no dandruff showing. Sickening.

• Like 11

27 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

How one man can be so completely and utterly blind not too mention negative and absolutely clueless is beyond me .. the teams he picks do exactly what any sane person knows they are gonna do .. every week he picks the absolutely most negative possible and every week we create fuck all

for the people that think jones was worse was he fuck! Are you really that short sighted to let a couple of extra points blind you away from selles team sheets making absolutely no sense whatsoever .. jones was starting to play 433 with edozie starting most games, the line up he started in his last game would be what we are would be seeing now and it’s a thousand times better then selles..

we are also letting this absolute bellend waste every signing we made in the January window bar Alcaraz 

of all the bad moves we have made this year giving this guy the job in a relegation battle is the worst of the lot 

Bloody well said.All our transferes this season under Selles simply dont get on.Aribo(mostly shit),Diallo(mostly shit),Edozie(theres something),Tall Paul(mostly shit and why in the first place?),Lyanco(thug at best ),Bazunu(promise but a hell of a lot to be done),Mara(why), Stu(is he out of favour?) ELY(wtf is there to say about this cunt)hes got his own thread and yet gets picked by all 3 of our managers this season alone.It seems Suttons commentary points made were spot on and he aired them to us ,wheres the urgency and desire to make things happen?...........................................................Fuck.........................

6 minutes ago, Badger said:

A bit like Nathan Jones he’s been promoted to a post he’s not experienced enough or ready for. 

That’s two careers that Rasmus has helped to car crash in a season. 

Anyone else think this ends with Rasmus stepping up to the managers role to "show us how it should be done"?

Stranger things have happened

• Haha 1

Just now, Saint NL said:

Anyone else think this ends with Rasmus stepping up to the managers role to "show us how it should be done"?

Stranger things have happened

I think a chairman at Crystal Palace, Ron Noades, once took on the managers role. He was an egotistical bastard at the time. 

He later did the same at Brentford. 

Just now, Andrew Watson said:

Please leave our club you clueless individual, you and Nathan Jones have helped send our club into freefall, which will be very hard to redress. 

Common denominator here is Mr Ankersen. He’s the one who has steered us into the freefall. 

• Like 4

Unpopular opinion but I sort of feel bad for him. He’s not a manager, let’s make that clear. He is an assistant coach/conditioning coach/analyst who is way out of his depth. I’d let him go altogether because he cannot work with these players clearly but the onus should fall on Sport Republic for putting a 39 year old with zero prior managerial experience at the senior level in charge of a relegation battle. 

• Like 8

10 hours ago, ecurnew02 said:

Unpopular opinion but I sort of feel bad for him. He’s not a manager, let’s make that clear. He is an assistant coach/conditioning coach/analyst who is way out of his depth. I’d let him go altogether because he cannot work with these players clearly but the onus should fall on Sport Republic for putting a 39 year old with zero prior managerial experience at the senior level in charge of a relegation battle. 

100% agree and the same can be said about some of the players (Adam Armstrong step forward) who clearly just aren't good enough to play in the Premier League.

The blame lies predominantly with Ankerson.

Edited by Sunglasses Ron

The warning signs were there when talk of Selles being well liked by our pathetic squad surfaced. Yes you don't want a manager that is hated (Jones to a degree) but these fraudsters don't deserve a say on who they do or don't like/want. Wouldn't be surprised if Ankersen lapped it all up.

• Like 1

Selles is totally clueless but he also seems to recognise that the season is ending soon and there are only a finite number of points available. 

We will keep on fighting! No thanks, if this is what your brand of fighting looks like. 

We've gone from a manager in Jones who showed too much emotion to a manager who seems to have all the passion for the game of a cardboard box. 

I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt when he started but am now desperate for him to go. When he does get his marching orders he probably won't care and will just give a shrug of the shoulders. 

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Another Selles beauty...

Mara is as good as any other striker in the air.

I mean, what planet is this fraudster on? He is literally the Ali Dia of football management 

Why didn't he play him then? Clown

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ecurnew02 said:

i agree totally, he was always going to want and take the job but he's never managed before so to throw him into a team fighting relegation desperately needing a lift and leadership was a mistake. The Chelsea win fooled us into thinking he could do the job but it's been a disaster since then. Really dont understand what he is trying to do.

Rasmus seem to be King Midus in reverse at the moment. Everything he touches turns to shit.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

TalkSport reporting he's definitely going at the end of the sesson. Nice bloke but it's obvious he's a big part of the problem. 

Will book end Rasmus' first year quite nicely really. One of SR's first actions was to dismantle the existing coaching team and replace with their own hires.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Another Selles beauty...

Mara is as good as any other striker in the air.

I mean, what planet is this fraudster on? He is literally the Ali Dia of football management 

Is that why he leaves him on the bench?

It's very confusing. We adopt a long ball approach with Theo, Adam Armstrong and Ely as the attackers. Don't make any use of Onuachu at all or Mara. 

I feel a bit sorry for Onuachu - I know he's been called out as a Carillo etc, but I honestly don't think he's been given a chance. The attacking tombola changes are doing my head in, never a chance to build any relationships.

• Like 10

47 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I had a whatsapp earlier and misread it, I thought he'd been sacked, now having read it properly he hasn't. My relief was short lived. 

Would it make any difference?

Fully accept that this step could  be seen as ‘the rebuild starts now’. But realistically seems unlikely we’ll secure a manager for next season this soon, as they’ll probably be waiting on other vacancies before dropping into the Championship.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Badger said:

Would it make any difference?

Fully accept that this step could  be seen as ‘the rebuild starts now’. But realistically seems unlikely we’ll secure a manager for next season this soon, as they’ll probably be waiting on other vacancies before dropping into the Championship.

I'd like it to happen, even if the chance of survival has passed a positive managerial change would probably improve the morale around the club and us defeated fans. We don't want to go into next season, in whichever league, on this sharp downward trajectory, IMO.

It'd only really make sense if it was bedding somebody in before starting next year, but I can't see why any manager would just take a relegation on their CV like that.

Selles should never have been put in this situation, similar to Bazunu (to varying levels). They should've waited until the Leeds game to make a permanent decision.

I don't want to hold too much against the guy but the team selections are nothing short of baffling. I know we don't see what goes on at the training ground but we see what happens on the pitch each week. It's inexcusable what he's doing with the squad. I don't for a second think things would be miles better if he put our best players on the pitch, but I'm pretty sure it'd leave us with a better chance than these recent performances against Palace & Bournemouth have.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

Will book end Rasmus' first year quite nicely really. One of SR's first actions was to dismantle the existing coaching team and replace with their own hires.

Could it be that the only reason Selles got the job was that he was willing to stick to Rasmus' playbook come what may? Is he really sitting on the touchline watching the continual shitshow while really knowing it's just turgid and totally ineffectual but can't go against RA's whacky theory on the game? He just seems to be talking too much crap after yet another defeat, surely he can't really believe what he's saying.

To change with the approach we're now taking would also take Rasmus to accept he's fucked up and got everything wrong, unfortunately I can't imagine him doing that.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

It'd only really make sense if it was bedding somebody in before starting next year, but I can't see why any manager would just take a relegation on their CV like that.

Selles should never have been put in this situation, similar to Bazunu (to varying levels). They should've waited until the Leeds game to make a permanent decision.

I don't want to hold too much against the guy but the team selections are nothing short of baffling. I know we don't see what goes on at the training ground but we see what happens on the pitch each week. It's inexcusable what he's doing with the squad. I don't for a second think things would be miles better if he put our best players on the pitch, but I'm pretty sure it'd leave us with a better chance than these recent performances against Palace & Bournemouth have.

As i pointed out before, on the training ground it's Saints defenders playing against Saints attackers. What could go wrong?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, 100%Red&White said:

Could it be that the only reason Selles got the job was that he was willing to stick to Rasmus' playbook come what may? Is he really sitting on the touchline watching the continual shitshow while really knowing it's just turgid and totally ineffectual but can't go against RA's whacky theory on the game? He just seems to be talking too much crap after yet another defeat, surely he can't really believe what he's saying.

To change with the approach we're now taking would also take Rasmus to accept he's fucked up and got everything wrong, unfortunately I can't imagine him doing that.

I've always held that belief.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BotleySaint said:

There is actually no point continuing with him. Might as well sack him now. 

I would agree. Do we have to pay compo? I think it's too late, we should have fired him 3 weeks ago. Right now, drawing names out of a hat to play in the next game is preferable. This guy might be a nice fella, but he is clueless and shouldn't be in charge of even a kids team. No idea of tactics or game management. Please leave now.

Beg Potter to start early.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 100%Red&White said:

It's Ralph's playbook he's sticking too. Ralph and Crocker. Rasmus attempted to get away from playbooks by appointing Jones and that went terribly so they went back to what they knew before and got a manager who has insisted from day one that the way Ralph played is the best way forward. Even if he was sacked for doing so.

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 1

As with Jones, I feel for him a bit. Clearly out of his depth/totally inept and could well have ruined his managerial career before it’s even started. Didn’t set out to make us a losing side, and we were all but screwed before he took over.

Expect he’ll go back to being a coach somewhere, and hope he can revive his career.

20 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

It's Ralph's playbook he's sticking too. Ralph and Crocker. Rasmus attempted to get away from playbooks by appointing Jones and that went terribly so they went back to what they knew before and got a manager who has insisted from day one that the way Ralph played is the best way forward. Even if he was sacked for doing so.

This is a shadow of Ralph's teams.

Selles has had a press conference reported in the Echo. They are going to devise a plan to win at Newcastle. He is more than just deluded. How does he think Elyounoussi and Adam Armstrong are going to give him an edge. He could pick a team to give Newcastle a game but not if he follows his usual template.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Literally no point sacking him now. Who in their right mind would want to take over and have a relegation on their CV?? Just ask Potter now to take over at the end of the season.

I think plenty  of managers  would take over. Taking over a basket case like us isn’t going to reflect badly on anyone, as there is zero expectation of survival now. A nice little earner, a chance to raise their profile should the slow the decline and god forbid be competitive in games.

Get him out now, stuff his feelings or whether or not he is a “nice bloke”. He’s an absolute disaster.   I wouldn’t worry about the compensation either, it’s chicken shit in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by Toussaint
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I think plenty  of managers  would take over. Taking over a basket case like us isn’t going to reflect badly on anyone, as there is zero expectation of survival now. A nice little earner, a chance to raise their profile should the slow the decline and god forbid be competitive in games.

Get him out now, stuff his feelings or whether or not he is a “nice bloke”. He’s an absolute disaster.   I wouldn’t worry about the compensation either, it’s chicken shit in the grand scheme of things.

No one decent is going to want to take over just to experience relegation.

48 minutes ago, derry said:

Selles has had a press conference reported in the Echo. They are going to devise a plan to win at Newcastle. He is more than just deluded. How does he think Elyounoussi and Adam Armstrong are going to give him an edge. He could pick a team to give Newcastle a game but not if he follows his usual template.

1 hour ago, Fabrice29 said:

Ralph actually tried mixing things around and using different tactics though. We started the season trying to make a back five work and when it didn’t reverted to a four. Selles isn’t playing the Ralph way, this is just pointless ‘please don’t get hammered’ football. I honestly think Selles will be quite happy to lose the remainder of our games one or two nil, just to escape without being embarrassed. As such he will stuff the team with pointless, hard working off the ball, recyclers like Moi and AA.

19 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

What, to have a relegation on their CV?

Why not, relegation is a certainty. There is bound to be someone who feels they have been forgotten about, or fancies a challenge, there is potentially a long term gig if they do ok. And let’s not forget the phenomenal money they would earn, a small fortune by most of our standards in very short time.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Cascadia Saint said:

I find it hard to believe we would be in this situation if we’d have made the Marsch deal happen. He would have caused various other issues no doubt but we’d still be actually going for it each game.

This just feels like slow euthanasia under Selles.

I don’t buy the idea that Marsch would’ve saved us. Leeds were going entirely in the wrong direction under him, he might have given us a boost, who knows, but I don’t see it as a great missed opportunity. Our fate was sealed with the disaster that was Nathan Jones, 3 points from 8 games (3 from 7 if we’re generous and discount the Liverpool game), and completely disrupted the whole squad.  Selles (9 points from 11) actually has quite a similar points per game as Hassenhuttl from the start of the season (12 from 14); both records that over the course of a season would see us in trouble but still in with a decent chance of survival. Selles has been disappointing, don’t get me wrong, but he’s only been as poor as a Ralph was from the start of the season. And I still see plenty of people say we should’ve kept hold of Ralph, even though his and Selles’ record is so similar.

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 6

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ruben Selles