Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

1 hour ago, Osvaldorama said:

Agree. 

Ultimately Tino is wayyy too good for the championship. We all know it. His advisors and family must too. Can’t begrudge him a move back up to the top division and beyond into the CL. Good luck to him.

It’s a shame the club has regressed to the point where we can’t keep hold of him for a bit longer; but that’s the reality. 

I don’t think anyone would begrudge him a move, but as with anyone being sold to Newcastle, we should be the ones pulling the pants down….massively. The current rumoured figure is completely the other way round. Recent ish ACL injury or not. 

1 hour ago, Badger said:

He would have been before his injury... but who knows how he'll recover ? For that reason I can understand him trying to secure a good contract based on his form from two seasons ago, and Saints being tempted to cash in now.

The club nursed him for 12 months and paid his ludicrous salary for a year so yes I would begrudge him a move. Good luck to him if he moves, bollocks. 

I've read some bollox on here over the years, but that's a candidate for a bollox medal. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LeBizzier69 said:

I don’t think anyone would begrudge him a move, but as with anyone being sold to Newcastle, we should be the ones pulling the pants down….massively. The current rumoured figure is completely the other way round. Recent ish ACL injury or not. 

£30m is still a very decent amount. We seem to have got our pants pulled down by Chelsea when we agreed to hand them about half of any subsequent transfer fee.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

£30m is still a very decent amount. We seem to have got our pants pulled down by Chelsea when we agreed to hand them about half of any subsequent transfer fee.

If it were £30m in our pocket that’s fine. Fair deal. The issue has to be the amount Chelsea receive from it. 
Why on earth would you get rid of such a talent for such little cash in the bank?!

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, egg said:

I've read some bollox on here over the years, but that's a candidate for a bollox medal. 

Okay, you’re obviously more gracious than me on this one. 

Accept the comment re his recovery are not on, but still rankles when a player pisses off at the first opportunity (although it is something we’re used to). 

Await my bollox medal though. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chez said:

13 minutes ago, LeBizzier69 said:

If it were £30m in our pocket that’s fine. Fair deal. The issue has to be the amount Chelsea receive from it. 
Why on earth would you get rid of such a talent for such little cash in the bank?!

They did say at the time he signed that there was a fair bit of competition for his signature and obviously offering terms like this gave us a bit of an advantage.  Have to remember we did get him for only 5M which is a steal.  Would we have felt happier paying anything up to 15M but kept more of the profit?  Probably.  At the time we were still owned by Gao and money was a bit tighter than it was last year.

I'd really hoped he would stay but nevermind.

45 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Hold on, we can medals for writing bollox on here? I need to up my game...

I reckon we should! One of the older versions of this site did have annual awards if I remember correctly. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Daily Mail reporting that if we sell Livramento we will use some of the money to try to buy Max Aarons from Norwich City.

Possibly if we sold KWP but can't see it otherwise.  Apparently West Ham want him as well.  There does seem to be a glut of decent right backs around.

1 minute ago, qwertyell said:

No we won't. Norwich were quoting £30m+ last season for Aarons.

And? He’s now in his final season before becoming a free agent… so this is their final chance to cash in. Norwich financially can’t really justify letting him walk out for free

He’s also said he’ll be leaving and won’t renew his deal: https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/23554558.norwich-city-max-aarons-ready-next-step-summer/

• Like 1

It's ironic, we need people to leave purely to reduce the squad size.

So we are currently in our depression cycle as these good players leave.

Once some start pissing off we will start getting others in who we will no doubt have high hopes for, hopefully for once 1 is a striker and another attacking midfielder/inside forward who is a mini Tadic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, david in sweden said:

3 hours ago, Badger said:

He would have been before his injury... but who knows how he'll recover ? For that reason I can understand him trying to secure a good contract based on his form from two seasons ago, and Saints being tempted to cash in now.

The club nursed him for 12 months and paid his ludicrous salary for a year so yes I would begrudge him a move. Good luck to him if he moves, bollocks. 

The club nursed him because they were obliged to do so. No other reason

3 hours ago, saint lard said:

We’ve opened talks to sign Piroe. 

Would be brilliant as we need a striker that can ACTUALLY score goals - but I'm not going to get too excited just yet as about six clubs (if not more) are interested in him. When was the last time someone chose Saints over a raft of other clubs? (Pre-Manning, I won't accept him as an answer!) We can only hope the Martin link is a strong one. He won't come cheap though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Would be brilliant as we need a striker that can ACTUALLY score goals - but I'm not going to get too excited just yet as about six clubs (if not more) are interested in him. When was the last time someone chose Saints over a raft of other clubs? (Pre-Manning, I won't accept him as an answer!) We can only hope the Martin link is a strong one. He won't come cheap though.

When Jack Cork chose us as a newly promoted side to the Championship I believed we would go up. My memory is that we weren’t favorites for automatic promotion and he was also approached by clubs expected to do better than us, but it was so long ago I could be talking nonsense.

At the end of the day, if we hadn't got relegated and he hadn't got a long term injury he could be looking at his second big season in PL and we'd be selling him next summer for 50mill or something. 

But we did and he did so we aren't. Doesn't mean the initial deal was bad.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Jose Fonte?

3 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I think I still expect Tino to leave, just seems like there is too much noise around it. I don’t begrudge the kid a move, just want him to go for a price we’re comfortable with

Seems more to me that Newcastle are feeding the press to try and unsettle the player and get the price down.  I think he'll stay until Jan at least

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I think I still expect Tino to leave, just seems like there is too much noise around it. I don’t begrudge the kid a move, just want him to go for a price we’re comfortable with

Yes I agree the most likely outcome is that he goes but if we demonstrate that we're not getting pushed around then that's a great thing. If they want him this summer with his long contract it should be 40 million plus imo. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Brilliant news from Adam. I thought the reported fee made no sense when we don't need to sell. I think he will still go but they will have to pay the proper amount. Let's hope we sell Lavia soon to remove some of the financial pressures. 

Good to hear. Given Newcastle's money and champions league status you'd expect it to still happen (unfortunately as i was very keen to see him playing in the championship for us). Part of me would like us to dig our heels in even more given how miserly(and seemingly negotiating via media) they are being in coming towards our valuation.

4 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Seems more to me that Newcastle are feeding the press to try and unsettle the player and get the price down.  I think he'll stay until Jan at least

Probably, I mean it’s unfortunately no different to how any club operates these days but I believe we aren’t that concerned about our finances yet, probably not until January or the end of the season if things don’t go our way

That said I think the Tino persuit goes late into the window, and I wonder if KWP goes then we’ll pull the plug

Ultimately I hope we don’t deal with Newcastle, who have plenty of cash but are seemingly trying to do all they can to bully us here

6 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Probably, I mean it’s unfortunately no different to how any club operates these days but I believe we aren’t that concerned about our finances yet, probably not until January or the end of the season if things don’t go our way

That said I think the Tino persuit goes late into the window, and I wonder if KWP goes then we’ll pull the plug

Ultimately I hope we don’t deal with Newcastle, who have plenty of cash but are seemingly trying to do all they can to bully us here

If it is true how it is being reported, then I'm loving the fact that they are going on our terms. Despite relegation, the way negotiations are being handled - if true - is to be applauded. We are certainly not acting like your typical championship club who seems to acquiesce and have their bellies rubbed as soon as a big club come calling. 

• Like 3

Downes doesn't want to leave West Ham this summer according to Football Insider, who MLG always said was very reliable.

Assuming we play often with the deep #6 and 2 x #8s I think only Charles will be suited to the #6 role as Smallbone too lightweight.

RM said there are some positions we have depth in and some we don't and once Lavia and JWP go, there is clearly a need for someone else who can do the #6 role and then probably a #8 type too.

Likely all four of our CMs from last season will be gone by Sept.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

If it is true how it is being reported, then I'm loving the fact that they are going on our terms. Despite relegation, the way negotiations are being handled - if true - is to be applauded. We are certainly not acting like your typical championship club who seems to acquiesce and have their bellies rubbed as soon as a big club come calling. 

I think we are in a better financial position than most relegated clubs but Tino is also a particular case - I doubt he is on huge wages, his contract has three years left to run, we'll only get a % of the fee and he doesn't seem that desperate to leave. Why would we sell on the cheap?

I thought the £30m made no sense and it turns out it's all nonsense coming from Newcastle

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

We aren’t worried about the money. When we needed to buy players in case we lost them Dragan put his hand in his pocket. I suspect we want to keep the bigger clubs guessing.