Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

3 hours ago, obelisk said:

Still find it amazing that a team with so much expensive talent managed to get relegated. Admittedly Tino didn't play until it was all over but still. 😐

Just extremely badly managed and coached by a welsh egomaniac and his clueless successor.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Atlanta Saint said:

Just extremely badly managed and coached by a welsh egomaniac and his clueless successor.

Yeah it’s ironic that, on paper, one of the best results of the season, away to Chelsea, turned out to be probably the worst 😔

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Doesn’t matter how many times,I watch that, I still can’t work out what on earth he’s trying to do.

it was the way the commentator says it was a careless challenge that makes me laugh, :lol:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Saints willing to let Sulemana join Everton on loan, Everton want to buy.

Doesn't sound good. He has the potential to be another Mane IMO. Wouldn't want to lose him now.

But if it's a one year loan so he can prove himself in the Premier league, then come back tovus after we're promoted........   

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Should absolutely not be helping them fuckers by loaning any of our players. 

Agree. 

I can’t stress enough how much I hate that club. Biggest bunch of bell ends out there aside from Pompey. 

I think we should be aiming to keep Sulemana. Him one side, with tella on the other and Edozie off the bench would be unreal 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Atlanta Saint said:

Would have stayed up if we got the managerial appointment right when we sacked Ralph, or changed in the summer and got it right then. Jones was an outright disaster - even Selles might have kept us up if he had the fixtures available to him that Jones had.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

eMjhUKB.png

Obviously it's only been one game, but there's a considerable difference between Saints and the next team.

Surely we need a "plan B" and players that suit that style too

It’s one game. Can’t really make any judgments on it especially as the team will likely look a fair bit different in September and I’m not sure we’ll face many other teams that stand off us as much as Wednesday did.

If you want to play that game though then extrapolating one game over a season means we don’t need a plan b because we’ll win every game with plan a.

1 hour ago, Master Bates said:

Saints willing to let Sulemana join Everton on loan, Everton want to buy.

Interesting. Never felt he was going to stay, as, like all players, he really wants to be in the Prem. He's full of confidence and will think he's just a season away from being at one of the big sides. 

Could a season long loan work? From a financial point of view, If he plays well, we have a £40m player. So yes. If we go up, i don't see him merging back into our side. We are a stepping stone and coming back to us may feel like a step backwards. 

6 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Why tella and not jwp? Both could wreck morale in that case. I don't think someone like jwp woukd be anything other than professional and try his absolute best for the club. 

Because of the service he has given the club - I would say he’s eared the the right to get a favourable move, just like Romeo. Tella is younger and has only played a handful of games. As I said it depends on what JWP wants and what his attitude is.

2 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Because of the service he has given the club - I would say he’s eared the the right to get a favourable move, just like Romeo. Tella is younger and has only played a handful of games. As I said it depends on what JWP wants and what his attitude is.

I don't want that to be a factor in our decision. There isn't room for sentiment now. 

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Interesting. Never felt he was going to stay, as, like all players, he really wants to be in the Prem. He's full of confidence and will think he's just a season away from being at one of the big sides. 

Could a season long loan work? From a financial point of view, If he plays well, we have a £40m player. So yes. If we go up, i don't see him merging back into our side. We are a stepping stone and coming back to us may feel like a step backwards. 

Everton are negotiating a £25m option to buy.

6 hours ago, Saint_Ash said:

That’s interesting. So Chelsea have allegedly lowered their sell on clause percentage? Why would they do that? They’re not a charity so are we about to maybe deal with them in respect of another player - doubt it relates to Awe.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Verbal said:

This one would really suck..yes we have edozie and tella who are great options .. but sulemana looks like he has it in him to be close to unplayable at his best . Hes only been here half a season so we should him for at least one full one ..

if the 25 m quoted is just an option to buy it would also give Everton a risk free option that might result in them getting a mane like beast for 25 and if he flops send him back 

52 minutes ago, Verbal said:

Feels pointless sending him out on loan then. I thought the whole point of agreeing to a loan was that hes still our player if we go back up. Can't see us agreeing t that, to be honest. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

It's different when you're dealing with a human being in person who you like and appreciate

Arguably sentiment caused our relegation. It was certainly a big factor. You say to jwp that we won't be selling you in this window but if we fail to up you can go next year with our blessing. Absolutely fair and reasonable. 

2 hours ago, Saint NL said:

eMjhUKB.png

Obviously it's only been one game, but there's a considerable difference between Saints and the next team.

Surely we need a "plan B" and players that suit that style too

Always thought at our best (i.e under Koeman), we were really fast and direct. Not long ball, but always looking to break and go forward with pace - a bit like Cov... Personally that's my preferred way, I think we'll be way too predictable this season. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Would have stayed up if we got the managerial appointment right when we sacked Ralph, or changed in the summer and got it right then. Jones was an outright disaster - even Selles might have kept us up if he had the fixtures available to him that Jones had.

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Arguably sentiment caused our relegation. It was certainly a big factor. You say to jwp that we won't be selling you in this window but if we fail to up you can go next year with our blessing. Absolutely fair and reasonable. 

We went down because we didn't sign a quality goalkeeper and striker. The rest is window dressing

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

We went down because we didn't sign a quality goalkeeper and striker. The rest is window dressing

Bollocks did we. The Jones managerial appointment is what fucked us along with losing Romeu and not bringing in some decent experienced heads alongside our youth. We would have most likely stayed up with Ralph without more signings. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Bollocks did we. The Jones managerial appointment is what fucked us along with losing Romeu and not bringing in some decent experienced heads alongside our youth. 

I’d say it was a combination of Jones, Selles and too many signings beings duds. If Aribo, Mara, Edozie, DCC, Orsic, Paul, Baz, Sully and AMN hadn’t ALL been crap we might have been okay.

• Like 3

Just now, Lighthouse said:

I’d say it was a combination of Jones, Selles and too many signings beings duds. If Aribo, Mara, Edozie, DCC, Orsic, Paul, Baz, Sully and AMN hadn’t ALL been crap we might have been okay.

Yes I could go along with that. Romeu was a huge loss for a few reasons though. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Yes I could go along with that. Romeu was a huge loss for a few reasons though. 

I do agree about Romeu in the sense that it left us badly short when Lavia got injured. My point really was despite have some excellent players in the squad, we were badly short in key positions. Any average manager would struggle to keep that team up, we needed someone who could get them playing well above their ability to have any hope, as Ralph had in the past (at times).

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bangkoksaint said:

That’s interesting. So Chelsea have allegedly lowered their sell on clause percentage? Why would they do that? They’re not a charity so are we about to maybe deal with them in respect of another player - doubt it relates to Awe.

I suspect they will be due part of any future sell on of livramento by Newcastle to compensate.  Only reason I can see as to why they'd agree 

Everton want to pay us £25M for Sulemana - we should take the money and run.   

He's just another Djneppo - the odd wonder goal, but no football brain, lots of dead ends and roads to nowhere. 

People are getting blinded by the 'wonder' goal he scored in the last of game of last season.  His actual goal scoring and assists stats aren't exactly good -  XG for players like him and Djneppo can be very misleading.  I think he is a case of Ankersen thinking he's cleverer than everyone else again.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

After tonight its extremely obvious which players just won't be successful or contribute anything meaningful this season...Lyanco, Djenepo, McCarthy, Bree - senior players behind the level of the better players in the squad. Would hope we can still shift at least half of those, in addition to the inevitable sales of some of the better players.

Also for the likes of Doyle and Ballard...no league cup games to feature in...they should surely be sent out on loan til January? Don't see either making first team squads too often and they won't learn much in the sterile U21 football. Although Doyle having less than 12 months on his contract is ominous anyway.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Dusic said:

After tonight its extremely obvious which players just won't be successful or contribute anything meaningful this season...Lyanco, Djenepo, McCarthy, Bree - senior players behind the level of the better players in the squad. Would hope we can still shift at least half of those, in addition to the inevitable sales of some of the better players.

Also for the likes of Doyle and Ballard...no league cup games to feature in...they should surely be sent out on loan til January? Don't see either making first team squads too often and they won't learn much in the sterile U21 football. Although Doyle having less than 12 months on his contract is ominous anyway.

I'd send those 4 out on loan at worst. We just need them out of the club. 

• Like 1

Ill be honest I didn’t realise how painfully thin we are in certain areas until I tried to figure out a 2nd 11 for tonight.. it’s woeful

We definitely need a CM and a CB.. even before Lavia and Lyanco/ABK move

Frankly Stu Armstrong doesn’t have the legs to cover Cm anymore and Lyanco is even more dreadful than last year

McCarthy is somehow even worse than I remember too… pitiful