Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

10 minutes ago, Crouchie's Lawyer said:

Forgot you can edit wiki!

Why didn't we collectively think of this at the start of summer and edit Mara and Tall Paul's Wiki to have them scoring a tonne of goals for us last year? Perhaps tricked a few other teams into thinking they were half decent.

I got you, homie. 

image.thumb.png.6e18ea9b10f503d13c33dc28861f6a02.png

Edited by The Juice
  • Like 1
  • Haha 30

Watched an obligatory youtube video on Paintsil, he seem comfortably to good for the level he was playing at - which made it hard to tell how good he actually is. What was apparent is that he is fast, relatively short, but built like an ox compared to players like Edozie - i.e. seems to be very strong and able to either run or muscle his way past players. His touch/control was decent enough - we won't be seeing tricks like edozie, but he seems to have a tidy touch and good balance - which paired with his speed and strength is a potent enough mix. His highlight reel implies he's a very direct player - looking to run at players and into the box - to get a shot or a pass off, or equally to make runs through behind. He also seemed to have good composure in and around the box, able to stop - turn - look up etc. and place a pass / shot. Who knows what his defensive work rate is like, or his fitness. 

Summary, probably a decent enough addition, and defacto will offer more than Onuachu - even if we just bring him on for the final 20-30min and tell him to get at teams etc. I can't see that he'd be far of championship level even as a worst case.

The negative - reckon there must have been about 7pens in that highlights reel from one season - so he wasn't scoring many from open play.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

So, with the clock ticking, what are thinking? For me, dreamland would be something like:

IN
(CB) Harwood Bellis
(CB) Wood
(AM) O'Riley
(CF) Stewart
Could not give less of a fuck about Paintsil.

LEAVE
(CF) Tall Paul

STAY
(CB) ABK
(RB) KWP
(WF) Sulemana
(CF) Che

However, in reality I reckon it'll probably pan out something like this:

IN
(CB) Harwood Bellis
(CF) Stewart

LEAVE
(CB) ABK
(WF) Sulemana
(CF) Che

STAY
(RB) KWP
(CF) Tall Paul

Which wouldn't be the end of the world. Folk on here would never, ever stop posting about RM saying Fraser was not a Tella replacement, which would be massively tedious. But KWP would be a right result. Our defence has been shit for years so I'd love a surplus of good options there. And who knows, maybe Tall Paul will turn it around? Stewart's recovery goes a bit slower than hoped and RM is forced to play Tall Paul, he gets a shock hat-trick. Starts the next game and gets another hat-trick. Fuck it, make a double hat-trick. By Christmas he's on 82 goals and counting. Next summer we sell him to Liverpool for £130m. Could happen?

• Like 1

Not sure if there is anything in this, but BBC reporting as follows....if it happens you may well hear me laughing my socks off....

Al-Ittihad are preparing a £118m bid for Mohamed Salah, despite Liverpool insisting their 31-year-old Egypt forward is not for sale. (Mail)

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp would be "furious" if the Reds are tempted to accept Saudi side Al-Ittihad's offer for Salah with the transfer deadline on Friday. (Star)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Saint Keef said:

Not sure if there is anything in this, but BBC reporting as follows....if it happens you may well hear me laughing my socks off....

Al-Ittihad are preparing a £118m bid for Mohamed Salah, despite Liverpool insisting their 31-year-old Egypt forward is not for sale. (Mail)

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp would be "furious" if the Reds are tempted to accept Saudi side Al-Ittihad's offer for Salah with the transfer deadline on Friday. (Star)

It is silly money for a 31 year old. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Saint Keef said:

🤣

Great fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em,
And little fleas have lesser fleas, and so ad infinitum.

Augustus De Morgan

Edited by CanadaSaint
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

Isn’t the best thing that they bid after the European deadline as think Saudi deadline is a couple of weeks after

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, CanadaSaint said:

🤣

Great fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em,
And little fleas have lesser fleas, and so ad infinitum.

Augustus De Morgan

Yes indeed. Very profound CanadaSaint.

Merely an observation as I see it: just as the so called "big clubs" (not just the Premier League but possibly across Europe as well) unsettle players at mid-size and smaller clubs by tempting them with bigger wages and "The Promised Land" of Premier League football, it does appear that these big clubs are starting to get a taste of their own medicine, by their biggest assets being tempted to go to the Saudi league for even more money, which will surely ultimately end in poorer quality within the top English and European leagues, but then I guess this will then filter down through the lower leagues as those big clubs snap up whoever is left. Not saying it will happen over night, but in this particular transfer window, there definitely appears to have been a trend starting. How long before the likes of Sky ditch the premier league and swap it for the Saudi leagues? 

Of course, if Salah does go.......they can have Che for $60m if they are desperate.....as long as they give us time to replace him 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

Twitter says it has collapsed again lol for Paintsil

According to any person posting in particular?

Would you like to say who on Twitter/X ?

Edit.... Found (the below account is followed by @Ghanablackstars)

Edited by Nolan

2 hours ago, Nolan said:

Weird how a journo with only 7500 followers can be so well connected with so many clubs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, InvictaSaint said:

Weird how a journo with only 7500 followers can be so well connected with so many clubs.

Sannie Daara is former Communications manager of the Ghana FA. Being followed by GhanaBlackstars (who only follow 150 accounts) is why it looks authentic.

8 minutes ago, InvictaSaint said:

Well, obviously he is only speaking to the Paintsil end of things. No one thinks he has the inside track with Saints and Burnley and Leeds. He won't be reporting on whether we sign a centre back today because he doesn't give a shit.

6 hours ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

So, with the clock ticking, what are thinking? For me, dreamland would be something like:

IN
(CB) Harwood Bellis
(CB) Wood
(AM) O'Riley
(CF) Stewart
Could not give less of a fuck about Paintsil.

LEAVE
(CF) Tall Paul

STAY
(CB) ABK
(RB) KWP
(WF) Sulemana
(CF) Che

However, in reality I reckon it'll probably pan out something like this:

IN
(CB) Harwood Bellis
(CF) Stewart

LEAVE
(CB) ABK
(WF) Sulemana
(CF) Che

STAY
(RB) KWP
(CF) Tall Paul

Which wouldn't be the end of the world. Folk on here would never, ever stop posting about RM saying Fraser was not a Tella replacement, which would be massively tedious. But KWP would be a right result. Our defence has been shit for years so I'd love a surplus of good options there. And who knows, maybe Tall Paul will turn it around? Stewart's recovery goes a bit slower than hoped and RM is forced to play Tall Paul, he gets a shock hat-trick. Starts the next game and gets another hat-trick. Fuck it, make a double hat-trick. By Christmas he's on 82 goals and counting. Next summer we sell him to Liverpool for £130m. Could happen?

I think we'll get Harwood-Bellis and Stewart. Che will go. KWP will stay. ABK will stay because the deal doesn't happen in time. Sulemana will get loaned out because he's not committed. Genk will take the £9m Burnley will give them for Paintsill and give it to us for Onuachu

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Well, obviously he is only speaking to the Paintsil end of things. No one thinks he has the inside track with Saints and Burnley and Leeds. He won't be reporting on whether we sign a centre back today because he doesn't give a shit.

No, I get that of course. It just seems such a random, relatively obscure account to be providing such a level of inside info. But as Nolan says, if he’s the former Ghanaian national FA comms man he will know their players well I imagine. 

2 hours ago, Nolan said:

Genk and/or Paintsil sound like a complete bunch of time wasters.

So the deal was agreed between clubs before, but it fell down because of a loyalty bonus disagreement between player and Genk, but now it’s collapsed because our terms don’t suit Genk? Smells like rubbish to me.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Just wasting time on Pantsil just move on clearly not going to happen if it breaks down at Leeds it will here .

Loan out Onauchu get him out and get in Duk or Miovski loan option to buy will be cheaper wages etc surely.

Why would Aberdeen loan them out?

In other news, Beto showed in 10 minutes last night he is 20 times the player Che will ever be. Everton made the right choice. 
Here’s hoping we can get all our players over the line today, but like last time, a striker who can actually score goals is perhaps the most important. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Genk and/or Paintsil sound like a complete bunch of time wasters.

So the deal was agreed between clubs before, but it fell down because of a loyalty bonus disagreement between player and Genk, but now it’s collapsed because our terms don’t suit Genk? Smells like rubbish to me.

I don't think there ever has been a problem with Genk, the player clearly isn't keen. The latest update seems like BS to me. 

3 hours ago, Nolan said:

Why have we wasted our time on this fella? Have we not learned from last summer? Its been clearly for nearly 2 weeks he doesn't want to come here. His agent is messing a few clubs around by the look of things. 

At this point, I can't believe many fans will even want him here. Move on.. ASAP. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, DT said:

In other news, Beto showed in 10 minutes last night he is 20 times the player Che will ever be. Everton made the right choice. 
Here’s hoping we can get all our players over the line today, but like last time, a striker who can actually score goals is perhaps the most important. 

Against Doncaster......🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, DT said:

Are you really comparing £30m Beto with £15m Adams?

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Raging Bull said:

I have to admit that on the face of it, I don’t want this Pantshill guy at the club. He and his agents look a right pain in the arse!

Edozie is doing well, too. And I wouldn’t want him pushed out of the starting lineup as things stand. 

Is he not a tella replacement, left footed right winger? Fraser is the competition for edozie surely.

• Like 3

Hope everyone is “braced” for the next two days. I’m feeling a bit more optimistic about keeping Che & KWP - simply because every hour that passes without them moving is an hour closer to deadline.

We should play hardball with Sully and if he stays (even if he sulks for a while), we don’t need Paintsil.

ABK and Tall Paul leaving, Che and KWP staying and Stewart and THB joining would be a great window. But it probably won’t be that smooth…

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

I don't think there ever has been a problem with Genk, the player clearly isn't keen. The latest update seems like BS to me. 

I'm not sure you can trust these stories about Paintsil. I imagine it's just the normal contract negotiations, but these twitter posts are making things seem like the end of the world has just happened.

• Like 2

Seems like a very similar saga to Quincy Promes.  He is now he isn't now he is......

That ended well.  Some Russian club and then fell foul of the law.  Did he even end up in prison?

I'm not even sure we're in for this Genk guy, probably just his agent using us and Leeds being the obvious candidates.  RM did say some rumours were well wide of the mark.

If we are it's just a route to get rid of Tall Paul.

1 hour ago, DT said:

It's going to take a while for Everton to drag him down to their level. I imagine it takes a while living on Merseyside before the scouse seeps into the pores of your body.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chez said:

I'm not sure you can trust these stories about Paintsil. I imagine it's just the normal contract negotiations, but these twitter posts are making things seem like the end of the world has just happened.

exactly this. everyone hanging off twitter posts as if they are even remotely accurate. sounds like games by club and agent to get a better deal. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

But no one is using Che against Gillingham as an example of his greatness.

He came on and absolutely changed the game. 

Pace, power looks like he can finish and is brilliant in the air. He'll do very well in the PL. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Looks like Sunderland want 10m - worth it given the injury?

I think so, yes. We need to sign someone else as well though. 

The way I see it, he shouldn't be the Che replacement, so if Che goes, we should bring in someone else as well. The Macedonian lad from Aberdeen probably my choice at this stage. 

4 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

exactly this. everyone hanging off twitter posts as if they are even remotely accurate. sounds like games by club and agent to get a better deal. 

So why did the Leeds deal fall through? Leeds got Piroe done and Spence against other clubs so not Mickey Mouse at getting deals done. 

Edited by Give it to Ron