New Manager Thread v3

Dman

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

Soon find out if Rasmus no 1 choice Carrick will come to Saints.

Got the playoffs semi finals on Weds.

PS Rasmus has more power in the next manager choice over Wilcox, just saying!!

This can't be true - just yesterday we were told Rasmus is taking a back seat

2 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Soon find out if Rasmus no 1 choice Carrick will come to Saints.

Got the playoffs semi finals on Weds.

PS Rasmus has more power in the next manager choice over Wilcox, just saying!!

This from the same ITK camp as when Selles was definitely being replaced ?

Rasmus was always going to have a large say in the next manager, as we’ve said over and over, he’s basically, like it or not, basically the only one left

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

This from the same ITK camp as when Selles was definitely being replaced ?

Rasmus was always going to have a large say in the next manager, as we’ve said over and over, he’s basically, like it or not, basically the only one left

To be fair to Pilchards he told us of our interest in Jones way back in Summer 2022, so he was clearly on the list long before November. (they actually had time to deliberate over that, and still came to the conclusion he was the right fit to replace Ralph)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

To be fair to Pilchards he told us of our interest in Jones way back in Summer 2022, so he was clearly on the list long before November. (they actually had time to deliberate over that, and still came to the conclusion he was the right fit to replace Ralph)

We’ll see (Im not sure Carrick is the No.1 target, but I’m not sure Ive heard anyone particularly inspiring in any whispers yet)

Not even sure what to make of Carrick, he looks like he is potentially an impressive young coach.. but I just think, with the amount of disruption we’re seeing and will see around the club this summer, we need an intelligent, experienced (sorry Fabrice) coach that is confident and can help shape the club moving forward because there isn’t a lot of experience left at St Marys outside of Rasmus and Wilcox, and lets be frank… we’ve experienced Rasmus already

• Like 1

Just now, Smirking_Saint said:

We’ll see (Im not sure Carrick is the No.1 target, but I’m not sure Ive heard anyone particularly inspiring in any whispers yet)

Not even sure what to make of Carrick, he looks like he is potentially an impressive young coach.. but I just think, with the amount of disruption we’re seeing and will see around the club this summer, we need an intelligent, experienced (sorry Fabrice) coach that is confident and can help shape the club moving forward because there isn’t a lot of experience left at St Marys outside of Rasmus and Wilcox, and lets be frank… we’ve experienced Rasmus already

Yeah I agree, I'd be much more comfortable with someone like Koeman (not saying Koeman, just with that sort of gravitas). We had a lot of change in the team in 2014 and he handled it and was strong enough to manage it, that's what we need this year I think.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah I agree, I'd be much more comfortable with someone like Koeman (not saying Koeman, just with that sort of gravitas). We had a lot of change in the team in 2014 and he handled it and was strong enough to manage it, that's what we need this year I think.

My fear is we’ll probably end up with a manager bereft of much of a say, more a head coach then a manager for instance… and the club will be ‘transformed’ around them into whatever vision both Wilcox and Rasmus have… part of me wouldn’t necessarily mind that, Im a fan of aligned thinking, but we’re in a position where basically its a complete revolution and I feel an experienced manager could give valued insights there

There is a lot to do, it’s actually quite worrying but effectively we need to recruit the heads of basically every major department

Its a mess

• Like 2

Nathan Jones to Cardiff? That looks like  two inevitable Saints defeats in the league next year already. 

And why are his interviews now sounding relatively normal? Was he permanently on drugs when he was with us? 

I've put Carrick top of my list before, but have no idea whether he's a serious proposition. Obviously won't be if Boro go up. 

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

im not sure it is. IMO promotion will be a bonus. The club is a mess. We'll be left with a handful of half decent players then a load of kids or ones that are crap. No manager, everyone behind the scenes leaving, a scouting system that needs ripping up and starting again, a losing mentality where players and fans expect us to lose every week now. Whoever comes in has got to turn all that around first before evening thinking about promotion. As things stand we are more likely to do a Stoke than a Burnley, there is a huge overhaul needed from top to bottom, then we might be able to start planning for promotion.

Most / all clubs that are relegated from the Premier League are in a mess, with loads of restructuring to be done on and off the pitch. 

Prioritise promotion. Recruit a manager and players to do it. If the money and willing is still there from SR then I don’t think they will fuck about with a 2 year plan for promotion. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Most / all clubs that are relegated from the Premier League are in a mess, with loads of restructuring to be done on and off the pitch. 

Prioritise promotion. Recruit a manager and players to do it. If the money and willing is still there from SR then I don’t think they will fuck about with a 2 year plan for promotion. 

few will have experienced the mess we will be in, bar those on the edge of financial ruin.

31 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

In fairness I think its worse than what you’d expect a club to go through, resignations and removals… its a revolution 

Would we even be able to attract Carrick? Middlesbrough are about the same ‘size’ as us as a club, they’re clearly doing enough financially to compete in that league, he hasn’t been there long and he’s from the area isn’t he?

Not sure, perhaps we’d be more attractive as a newly relegated club with parachute payments and could offer more Benjamins. 

9 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

In fairness I think its worse than what you’d expect a club to go through, resignations and removals… its a revolution 

I think you mean transformation not revolution.
Very achievable in the short term to return to the Premier League. All focus should be on returning at the first attempt.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

Would we even be able to attract Carrick? Middlesbrough are about the same ‘size’ as us as a club, they’re clearly doing enough financially to compete in that league, he hasn’t been there long and he’s from the area isn’t he?

Not sure, perhaps we’d be more attractive as a newly relegated club with parachute payments and could offer more Benjamins. 

He may think we offer a more realistic chance of reaching the Premier League again before Boro. Assuming they balls up the play off matches though.

6 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

From that area is like saying you’re from Portsmouth. No offence if you are. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, notnowcato said:

I think you’re underestimating what a mess we are in. Although I’m no fan of Semmens and some of the current lot we are losing or have lost pretty much everyone in a leadership role in the club. The scouting team are useless and needs a complete overhaul, we will have a huge turnover of players and we need to bring in a manager capable of rebuilding the team who have been used to losing every week. 

No club goes into a season hoping not to be promoted I’m sure it is a priority but there is a huge amount of work to be done this summer therefore promotion next season is going to be a huge bonus rather than an expectation, I’m seeing next season as a rebuild before making a big push the year after

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

I think you mean transformation not revolution.
Very achievable in the short term to return to the Premier League. All focus should be on returning at the first attempt.

Transformation or revolution, however you want to frame it its significant

We effectively have an entirely new board, without many heads of departments and even beyond that have lost a significant number of senior staff of significance within the club too

I too want us to bounce straight back and the whispers around Staplewood is that is the expectation BUT Im concerned that there is so much to get done in 90 days

• Like 1

Can't see why we would be so confident Carrick would come here. He'd have to start from scratch and a complete rebuild job here when he has a years progress at Boro, without the having to deal with our mess in a short pre season. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I think you’re underestimating what a mess we are in. Although I’m no fan of Semmens and some of the current lot we are losing or have lost pretty much everyone in a leadership role in the club. The scouting team are useless and needs a complete overhaul, we will have a huge turnover of players and we need to bring in a manager capable of rebuilding the team who have been used to losing every week. 

No club goes into a season hoping not to be promoted I’m sure it is a priority but there is a huge amount of work to be done this summer therefore promotion next season is going to be a huge bonus rather than an expectation, I’m seeing next season as a rebuild before making a big push the year after

Yep. The club is in crisis. All sorts have key people have left. Wilcox is not yet here. We need to sort out the manager role, coaches, various heads of departments and their teams, and that's before we've got near the players. This summer and next season is very much a reset and rebuild from the ground up. 

• Like 1

Because he’s being talked about quite a bit I thought Id do a bit of background research… I’m not actually against Carrick, I like him (I even like him slightly more after the 30 or so mins of reading I just did)

I think he’s likely a good fit for the style we’re looking to take moving forward

I still think we need a strong character that can help shape the club moving forward though… this is a good watch for those that want a quick snapshot

7 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Because he’s being talked about quite a bit I thought Id do a bit of background research… I’m not actually against Carrick, I like him (I even like him slightly more after the 30 or so mins of reading I just did)

I think he’s likely a good fit for the style we’re looking to take moving forward

I still think we need a strong character that can help shape the club moving forward though… this is a good watch for those that want a quick snapshot

I think Carrick would be decent. Done well at Boro in a short time. Plays good football. Achieved lots as a player. 

• Like 1

Just watching Luton. Big, strong, like to get the ball out wide and are quick. I think this is what we’d have ultimately been in for with Mad Nate. Personally I think they’re a better watch than we’ve been for quite a while. Obviously we’ll never know but maybe if he’d not been a media nightmare and had been schooled in communication he could have worked.

• Like 4

On 15/04/2023 at 18:35, Miltonaggro said:

The first name on the end of season hit list for Solak has to be Ankersen, as he won’t want a manager with gravitas or football nous in charge alongside - they’d find him out within days.  Cooper or Potter provide just what we need, but we have to be able to make them a credible offer. 

Excuse ignorance but why is Cooper so popular? I know he's managing Forest in the Premier and they are in a dodgy mess, so what else has he done?

1 minute ago, Dellman said:

Excuse ignorance but why is Cooper so popular? I know he's managing Forest in the Premier and they are in a dodgy mess, so what else has he done?

Got them to the premier league, and kept them there despite his board chucking a random mix of players at him to do something with. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Dellman said:

Has done a brilliant job at Forest, and he good pedigree with young players. Also plays decent football on the whole, would be a great fit for us IMO. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bangkoksaint said:

Just watching Luton. Big, strong, like to get the ball out wide and are quick. I think this is what we’d have ultimately been in for with Mad Nate. Personally I think they’re a better watch than we’ve been for quite a while. Obviously we’ll never know but maybe if he’d not been a media nightmare and had been schooled in communication he could have worked.

with you on that.

Luton would kill us. Absolutely decimate us.

Edited by Crab Lungs
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

I still think Steven Gerrard would be a great fit for us. A big name who would instantly command the respect of the squad and would be hungry for success after his previous job.

I don’t like the bloke but think that you’re spot on. The board shouldn’t be delaying on this. Trouble is they want a certain type - someone with style but no substance - one of the trendy type managers who speak the right language and try to turn the game into a science. Don’t need a Pep wannabe in the Championship.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LegalEagle said:

I don’t like the bloke but think that you’re spot on. The board shouldn’t be delaying on this. Trouble is they want a certain type - someone with style but no substance - one of the trendy type managers who speak the right language and try to turn the game into a science. Don’t need a Pep wannabe in the Championship.

I just struggle to understand what you think Gerrard is in comparison? He lost Beale and has been absolute dross ever since. Look at what's happened to Villa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bangkoksaint said:

Obviously we’ll never know but maybe if he’d not been a media nightmare and had been schooled in communication he could have worked.

If he actually won some football games no one would give a monkeys about his irritating personality or lack of communication skills. He got sacked because he was just way out of his depth.

• Like 8

53 minutes ago, Dellman said:

He's not popular with the ladies, but as a football manager for a Championship club there isn't many better realistic options on paper. Potter left Swansea after a 10th placed finish. Cooper was his summer replacement, taking them to 6th and a play-offs defeat against Brentford in his first season in charge and then 4th and a play-off final defeat against his nemesis, Brentford in his second season in charge. He then walked out on them in the summer and the two years without him they've dropped to 15th and 10th.

He then took over Nottingham Forest in September 2021. Forest had won one of their first eight under Chris Hughton and were bottom of the league with 4 points. Those in the play-offs had a 9 point head start. But, they only lost 6 more games across the rest of the season, he took them to 4th and won through the play-offs. Did well in the FA Cup too, reaching the quarter finals after knocking out Arsenal and beating Leicester 4-1, losing 1-0 to Liverpool.

As said, it hasn't gone completely to plan for him this season, as his owners like ours and the Chelsea owners started playing Football Manager in real life without any real plan.

But, yeah, he's got a winning track record in the Championship, sorted out the mess at Forest who were recycling through managers like Watford (14 in 8 years prior to him), so he has that going for him too, hasn't just walked into good, stable clubs.

• Like 7

The Managerial Appointment Cycle

48 hours ago: (Insert name of manager) - no thanks, who the hell is that? Another manager with no experience!

24 hours ago: Most passes in the league? Lots of possession? Must have something about him!

10 hours ago: He’s odds on favourite, what an appointment this could be!

Two weeks time: We got him! What an appointment for us, time for us to walk this league.

Eight months time: Bloody 14th in the league, got to sack him. Never wanted him. Was always going to be a shit appointment.

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

I still think Steven Gerrard would be a great fit for us. A big name who would instantly command the respect of the squad and would be hungry for success after his previous job.

Main negative point to Gerard is he's not a very good manager without Michael Beale. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

48 hours ago: (Insert name of manager) - no thanks, who the hell is that? Another manager with no experience!

24 hours ago: Most passes in the league? Lots of possession? Must have something about him!

Two weeks time: We got him! What an appointment for us, time for us to walk this league.

Eight months time: Bloody 14th in the league, got to sack him. Never wanted him. Was always going to be a shit appointment.

Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Would be really funny if it wasn't true......

Sunderland reportedly trying to get Matthias Jaissle from Salzburg to replace Tony Mowbray. 

If they can pull that off - persuading a current Champions League manager to slum it in the Championship - maybe we should be setting our sights higher than lower mid table Championship fodder.

• Like 1

I have to say I completely agree with those saying we’ve got a massive mountain to climb in a relatively short period of time to get everything right so we can even compete effectively in the Championship. In fact on the face of it it’s hard not to imagine us struggling and finding ourselves in the lower half of the table by Christmas. Our performances against lower league opposition have in general not seen an improvement in fortunes - quite the opposite I would argue, with heads dropping when things are not going our way.

The managerial appointment is crucial and most important to get right first, however transformation of the squad is an imperative too. Even if we manage to appoint a decent manager, I’m not sure the majority of players are good enough to utilise the coaching provided. These guys clearly don’t react well to new ideas…they like a ‘friendly’ mate of a manager.

I think Carrick would be a good choice based on his favoured style of play, but I’m not sure we’d have the nouse or money to pull him away from Boro. Other than that, it’s going to take an experienced head to sort out the utter mess the squad is in right now. Rasmus doesn’t seem like the right guy to be making those kind of crucial decisions.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
  • Like 1

I've got no idea but I wish we would announce so we can all move onto slagging him off phase.

You have to believe they've got the manager already who is already working informally with Wilcox but won't announce until end of the season to show the correct respect to Selles and the team.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, qwertyell said:

Sunderland reportedly trying to get Matthias Jaissle from Salzburg to replace Tony Mowbray. 

If they can pull that off - persuading a current Champions League manager to slum it in the Championship - maybe we should be setting our sights higher than lower mid table Championship fodder.

Why on earth would the replace Mowbray after the season they’ve just had. Madness. 

23 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

I've got no idea but I wish we would announce so we can all move onto slagging him off phase.

You have to believe they've got the manager who is already working informally with Wilcox but won't announce until end of the season to show the correct respect to Selles and the team.

Must be Ruben Selles then.

The appointment needs to be someone who immediately commands respect, ex players like Gerrard et al tick this box, the trouble is once the ex big player feel good factor the players have when they arrive wears off, you end up with a manager with no tactically ability, possibly lacking man management skills and totally exposed as a manager who was trading on their name.

Going the other way, a manager who has the tactical ability and knows how to set up a team, may not have the kudos of an ex player walking into the club and so doesn't immediately command the respect of the players, so there's a risk that the players might never respect him, look at Jones for this.

The trick will be getting someone in the middle, a manager who can get the respect of the players, but still know how to set a team up, be tactically aware and a good man manager, not sure how likely that is in the championship though as I guess every team are looking for that