Mason Greenwood would you take him?

Streaky

No. 

It does raise the question though how long you can have someone out to pasture before bringing them back, especially if genuinely reformed. Not that I think he is in any way shape or form. 

He should be able to rebuild a life in some shape or form after his actions but ughhhhh, not here please. 

There certainly has to be some serious atonement going on before he does though.

• Like 5

The moment he did what he did, he threw what potential career he had out of the window in my opinion. The case was thrown out, but he was never by any means proven innocent as far as I can tell. Just listening to that recording was enough to show up what an utter cunt he is.

Where he ends up next will be a circus and it's the sort of circus we don't need. Forest Green like to do things different all the time, so maybe he'll end up there. 

In all seriousness I think he needs to go abroad, I don't ever see him being able to recover in England. He'd be subjected to abuse in every single game he played.

• Like 3

Just now, Crab Lungs said:

Any ideas on where we think he’ll end up? 

Saudi, Cyprus, Russia?

Saudi seems the obvious bet, given the managers over there with knowledge of English football (and they'd have the money, obviously - not that I think he is in a position to be demanding silly bucks)

First, let me make it clear that I do not support Greenwood coming to the Saints.

However, in the states, there was an American football player names Michael Vick that was involved in a dog fighting ring and killing animals. I thought he would never land anywhere. But after 1 year of playing, it was as if his crimes never happened. People have a short memory, and people grow. Before you come at me, please review the first statement. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

He’ll end up in Europe on loan for a season.. score a bucket load, then will be welcomed back with open arms unfortunately 

Man Utd have released him though, so he's a freebie. I doubt he'll ever come back to England.

1 minute ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Oh… missed that sorry

Point still stands, he’ll get picked up in Europe and will almost certainly return in a year or two imo

I struggle to see him coming back to the UK. Anyone who tries to sign him will have campaigns like the scottish player has had these last couple of years.

8 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I struggle to see him coming back to the UK. Anyone who tries to sign him will have campaigns like the scottish player has had these last couple of years.

Who could forget Marlon King coming to SMS with Brum, back in 2011. The Northam had an absolute field day with that one.

2 hours ago, Streaky said:

Where do you draw the line? Does he deserve another chance and would you be ok if we signed him?

I think the question to ask is would you be comfortable with your wife, daughter or sister being in the position his girlfriend was?

I’m guessing you would want to leather him if that were the case.

The tapes and transcripts are out there in the public domain, I think it says it all.

• Like 2

Fuck no. The rhetoric that United may have been leaning towards keeping hold of him at one point would have been a massive mistake on their part. Although seeing United dragged through the mud would have been amusing to watch until they inevitably went back on the idea.

No like many others I fully expect him to end up somewhere with backward views on women like Saudi.

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Man Utd have released him though, so he's a freebie. I doubt he'll ever come back to England.

Have they actually released him?  He had another two years to run on his contract so that would have cost them a fortune as it would need to be paid in full and obviously no transfer or load fee if he goes to Saudi then.  Impressed if they have just written all that cash off.

In response to the OP no not in a million years would I want to see him in a saints shirt (or hopefully any other professional clubs) the lad has crossed a line that I hope he will ever come back from he may have dodged jail time but I don’t think he will save his career.

Edited by a1ex2001

Just now, a1ex2001 said:

Have they actually released him?  He had another two years to run on his contract so that would have cost them a fortune as it would need to be paid in full and obviously no transfer or load fee if he goes to Saudi then.  Impressed if they have just written all that cash off.

I don’t think they have released him. Their statement said they will let him go and will help him find a side. I read it as that he’s still on the books, just that they’ve green carded a move.

7 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

They haven't released him, there's no decision been made to pay up his £7m 2yr deal or send out on loan for 2yrs 

Fair enough, read that wrong in that case.

I reckon there will be a mutual decision to be made though, I can't see any club paying a transfer fee for him.

He'll be paid by united on the sly for his contract, hence why he's come out and said it's a mutual decision. Play nice and we'll pay you. He'll go abroad somewhere where violence to women is welcome and be seen as a hero. We all know where. 

Just because he's been found not guilty doesn't mean he's innocent. 

Edited by Saint_Ash

9 hours ago, Colinjb said:

This however assumes that he will never change, or has not learned from his experiences as a young man. And let's make no mistake, he is just a step or two on from childhood.

I would be inclined to give him a chance on the basis of a chance for redemption. 

No bloke caught bashing his missus once, has only bashed his missus once.

At 21 if he hasn't learnt not to bash his missus, chances are he's not inclined to learn.

• Like 1

The only chance he had was admitting his recorded behaviour was abhorrent, publicly apologising for his actions and saying he would get help.  

The fact his agent hasn’t persuaded him to do this to salvage his career speaks volumes about Greenwood’s character.  

There isn’t a team in the country that gets better with this type of character in the dressing room.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

When was he convicted of rape? 

Less than 1% of reported rapes result in a conviction. Not being convicted doesn't mean you didn't do it.

Things we do know:

- He verbally threatened his girlfriend. Verbal abuse is still a form of violence.

- His girlfriend was beaten up. No other suspects are known for this.

- He told her he didn't care if she wasn't interested in sex because he was going to have it anyway. So at the very least he made the threat of rape.

- One of the conditions of his bail was no contact with his alleged victim.

- Yet somehow she got pregnant with his child as she gave birth to in in June/July.

- While pregnant a key witness withdrew their cooperation leading to the case being dropped due to no chance of a conviction. There really only was one key witness.

- His statement shows zero contrition.

At the very least he showed contempt of court in breaching the terms of his bail and witness tampering. So should be in jail for that if nothing else.

So, technically you're right. He hasn't been convicted but what we do know is sufficiently damning to suggest he's a pretty unpleasant human being that any club should want nothing to do with.

• Like 14

22 minutes ago, coalman said:

Less than 1% of reported rapes result in a conviction. Not being convicted doesn't mean you didn't do it.

Things we do know:

- He verbally threatened his girlfriend. Verbal abuse is still a form of violence.

- His girlfriend was beaten up. No other suspects are known for this.

- He told her he didn't care if she wasn't interested in sex because he was going to have it anyway. So at the very least he made the threat of rape.

- One of the conditions of his bail was no contact with his alleged victim.

- Yet somehow she got pregnant with his child as she gave birth to in in June/July.

- While pregnant a key witness withdrew their cooperation leading to the case being dropped due to no chance of a conviction. There really only was one key witness.

- His statement shows zero contrition.

At the very least he showed contempt of court in breaching the terms of his bail and witness tampering. So should be in jail for that if nothing else.

So, technically you're right. He hasn't been convicted but what we do know is sufficiently damning to suggest he's a pretty unpleasant human being that any club should want nothing to do with.

She also chose to record him - which suggests it wasn't the first time he acted like that.

• Like 13

I thought from the various threads on women's football that being considerate of "birds" and "chicks" was woke nowadays, as is cancelling people for their behaviour?

If even they don't support this guy, then that's a sign he wouldn't be remotely welcome here.

1 minute ago, ashnats said:

I thought from the various threads on women's football that being considerate of "birds" and "chicks" was woke nowadays, as is cancelling people for their behaviour?

If even they don't support this guy, then that's a sign he wouldn't be remotely welcome here.

Bit of a big jump from being considerate and rape. 

20 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

He'll go to somewhere, where they speak a strange language, a team who are desperate for a striker, a club that doesn't have a pot to piss in and hence can pick him up as a free agent...........so Everton it is then. 

Or Pompey, this is when you need the Pompey Bandstand image where they have a dummy of a woman 

Edited by OldNick

This isn't Greenwood but were the allegations against Ronaldo widely known?  I saw this for the 1st time today and apparently it was published years ago.  I'm struggling to understand why it didn't get further media reporting as it seems damning

https://m.allfootballapp.com/news/Serie-A/Ronaldo-admitted-rape-accuser-said-no-multiple-times-and-he-apologised-after-sex/894948

3 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

This isn't Greenwood but were the allegations against Ronaldo widely known?  I saw this for the 1st time today and apparently it was published years ago.  I'm struggling to understand why it didn't get further media reporting as it seems damning

https://m.allfootballapp.com/news/Serie-A/Ronaldo-admitted-rape-accuser-said-no-multiple-times-and-he-apologised-after-sex/894948

Different times.

1 hour ago, Barsiem said:

I think he paid her off at the time but she raised it again recently so he was investigated.  They dropped the case after a while , no case to answer l think.

On 21/08/2023 at 17:19, Crab Lungs said:

No. 

It does raise the question though how long you can have someone out to pasture before bringing them back, especially if genuinely reformed. Not that I think he is in any way shape or form. 

He should be able to rebuild a life in some shape or form after his actions but ughhhhh, not here please. 

There certainly has to be some serious atonement going on before he does though.

If a literal killer in Lee Hughes can have a career again, then Greenwood should be OK.

I suspect however that he may have to go overseas, the negative PR/social media campaigns will outweight any sporting benefits for most teams.