Kyle Walker-Peters

Saint-Armstrong

11 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Would struggle to disagree more. He is superb at holding the ball up rather than losing it, he'll look for quick 1-2s, and run off the shoulder of players, and his dribbling skills make him a great threat when he gets into the box in tight spaces. He also makes great runs carrying the ball to move us up the pitch and to make space for others, which allows players like jwp to drift in behind or overlap to support attacks and put crosses in etc. He's the best attacking full back / wing back I can recall at saints. And he ain't bad defensively either. 

I'll be stunned if we get a better player than him as a replacement, and it we'll lose the balance he brings us (good defence / attack) down that side. When he finally goes it will be a loss, but for the sake of his career (and England chances - and he should already be in that mix when fit) he probably should be looking to move up to the right big club now - unless saints can really pick up and return to our top 8 finishes... Doubtful right now let's be honest. 

I honestly don’t think it will be as much of a problem when he leaves as you think, if tino is fit. he’s a better defender imo and can be direct going forwards. KWP is a very good player on the ball and can help attacking, it’s just a personal preference to get infuriated by drag backs in a position where maybe you could shoot and win a corner or have a go at times. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

I honestly don’t think it will be as much of a problem when he leaves as you think, if tino is fit. he’s a better defender imo and can be direct going forwards. KWP is a very good player on the ball and can help attacking, it’s just a personal preference to get infuriated by drag backs in a position where maybe you could shoot and win a corner or have a go at times. 

I get its personal oppinion, and it's always interesting how fans see the game so differently to each other 😊

But in that vein I would also say Tino is not as good a defender as kwp (currently - Tino is young) 😅. I always remember him being caught out of position, or needing to be better defensively vs wingers / wide forwards last year. I am not knocking Tino by any means, but he'll develop with play time and experience - I would always have put kwp above him if picking purely for quality though. 

Also the sad reality is that we don't know what level Tino will be in when he comes back. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

On 11/01/2023 at 12:22, Nemi said:

Call me crazy, as I know he's pretty highly rated here, but I wouldn't be that bothered if we lost him. Good player, but no end product and holds the ball too long like too many on our books - can't even remember the last time he put a cross in honestly, let alone getting an assist. Plenty out there who may be a bit less flashy, but are just as, if not more productive than KWP.

You're crazy (being as you asked)! Really hoping he's not snapped up in this window. A player that can operate on both flanks...can add so much going forward and speedy enough to get back ---were you watching last night?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

The problem will be like a lot of things in our recent history, not if he leaves but who replaces him. We have been bloody horrendous at doing this effectively. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the club are thinking Lyanco could be the solution if Walker-Peters goes

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

I honestly don’t think it will be as much of a problem when he leaves as you think, if tino is fit. he’s a better defender imo and can be direct going forwards.

If Livramento gets fully fit again, he's probably gone in the summer back to Chelsea when their buy back clause kicks in.

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

The problem will be like a lot of things in our recent history, not if he leaves but who replaces him. We have been bloody horrendous at doing this effectively. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the club are thinking Lyanco could be the solution if Walker-Peters goes

To be fair Lyanco's best performances for us have come when he's been playing right back. I don't think it's a viable long term solution if KWP goes, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if he had to play there short term. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

If Livramento gets fully fit again, he's probably gone in the summer back to Chelsea when their buy back clause kicks in.

I dont know about that, he's good but isn't the buy back 40 million? I know it's chelsea but for a player who's played about 7/8 months of football and been out for a year, I cant see them activiating the clause yet at that price.

1 hour ago, VectisSaint said:

Looked very happy with being at Saints last night, interaction with JWP and NJ). There will always be speculation about our best players but there does not seem to be much evidence that KWP wants out.

Sidney posted he didn’t like Jones, what more evidence do you need? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, qwertyell said:

The least of our problems is Chelsea swooping in and utilising the buy back clause. 

On 12/01/2023 at 08:55, Chez said:

Could not agree more.

Love your username by the way. I used to think I was FFs biggest fan.😏 I spent hours on the saints forum arguing his case.

Very kind, it is a touch tongue in cheek because he was clearly limited, but his goal against Everton at home will stay with me as a great Saints moment for a very long time

1 hour ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Very kind, it is a touch tongue in cheek because he was clearly limited, but his goal against Everton at home will stay with me as a great Saints moment for a very long time

Limited? I won't hear such blasphemy. Bloody brilliant goal.  Funny that since he retired crop circles no longer seem to be a thing.

Just to return to KWP.  I thought he has another bloody great game at left back. Forget the mazy dibbles, the pace and ability to know when to tackle and when to jockey, which he has, it's that quality touch and technical ability that earns him and others a little time.

When in a tight spot, he is always willing and able to get out of it himself.  Rather than offload quickly, or just smash it down the channel to relieve pressure, he has that confidence and ability to drop his shoulder, to create space and time, which allows more forward players to find space to receive the ball. Without it, our players are always under pressure and possession is quickly handed over. It's these small situations, perhaps two or three times in a game that all add up in the end. This is the difference between a fullback like Perraud and a genuine premiership quality player like KWP. He has been tremendous to watch since he got here. I won't begrudge him leaving, should that happen in the summer, but I will miss watching him. Finding a replacement that can lace his boots won't be easy. Just look at our struggle to find a left back... 

• Like 6

On 13/01/2023 at 09:57, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

I remember "almost" jumping out of my seat when he scored that worldy from the right wing at Old Trafford. Cutting in from the touchline and curling a beauty into the far top corner.

I was sat in with all the Irish in the home stand right in front of it. Watched it all the way in.

Of course I had to politely applaud their two goals in reply as we inevitably lost the game.

Edited by jasonb
spelling

50 minutes ago, jasonb said:

I remember "almost" jumping out of my seat when he scored that worldy from the right wing at Old Trafford. Cutting in from the touchline and curling a beauty into the far top corner.

I was sat in with all the Irish in the home stand right in front of it. Watched it all the way in.

Of course I had to politely applaud their two goals in reply as we inevitably lost the game.

Brilliant goal. Was a great game too, until bloody Forlan pulled a worldie out of nowhere. 

That FF goal is what we have been missing from our midfielders until Djenpo's goal this week. We need the likes of Eli, and now Orsic and Carlos to score a few of those every now and then.

3 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Liverpool in for Kwp 42.5m several reports 

Check the sources of these "several reports", use some of your own judgement and revisit this post. 

FFS.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Dusic said:

Check the sources of these "several reports", use some of your own judgement and revisit this post. 

FFS.

It’s a fucking forum you prick it’s all over twitter and several lesser tiers I’m just bringing here wot someone will say in a day or two. have some fucking respect .. 

fucking rude !!

• Haha 3
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

It’s a fucking forum you prick it’s all over twitter and several lesser tiers I’m just bringing here wot someone will say in a day or two. have some fucking respect .. 

fucking rude !!

Oh the irony. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Sold.

Bring in Spence or Juranovic.

But Liverpool ain't spending that, they got the worlds best right back as it is. (Sarcasm mode off).

An interesting and clearly hypothetical / unrealistic question, but would you swap KWP for Trent if offered? 

FWIW I absolutely wouldn't. 

Trent would get torn a new one at a club like ours where he’d have to defend for 90% of the game. There are only probably a handful of clubs in which he’d actually do well tbh.

He’d suit city down to the ground, given the way they play with full backs tucking in to make extra CM’s. 

3 hours ago, Greenridge said:

I keep seeing Spence's name bought up. Doesn't he have an issue with his attitude?

Warnock said "he could either be at a top club or non league", perhaps suggesting his attitude wasn't right. Seeing as Warnock sent him out on loan, only for him to tear up the division, doesn't really endorse his management skills much if you ask me. But I guess his attitude could still be poor, even if he played well. Who knows. Can't get a game at Spurs, but they do have quite a few options.

4 hours ago, Dman said:

An interesting and clearly hypothetical / unrealistic question, but would you swap KWP for Trent if offered? 

FWIW I absolutely wouldn't. 

Trent would get torn a new one at a club like ours where he’d have to defend for 90% of the game. There are only probably a handful of clubs in which he’d actually do well tbh.

He’d suit city down to the ground, given the way they play with full backs tucking in to make extra CM’s. 

He’s got tremendous ability but Klopp ain’t great for him. He needed drilling over and over, he needed coaching as a full back, ironing out his weaknesses. If he couldn’t be taught he then needed turning into a midfielder, coached and encouraged in that role. It’s called management & coaching, as opposed to accepting his weakness to concentrate on his strengths. It’s probably too late now because he’s behaviours are imbedded. I’d bet my life if the Jose of a decade ago got hold of him, he’d be able to defend ok. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Saint_Jonny said:

Club have put a strong statement on this and rightly so. I'm not sure what you can do when 95% of their fanbase isn't match going or even based in the UK where they can be prosecuted;

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2023-03-13/southampton-football-club-statement-13-march-2023

Exactly, you see loads of comments on social media like "ban them for life" when it's almost certainly a troll looking for attention thousands of miles away 

• Like 1

What baffles me is Utd has multiple black and mixed raced players. I mean FFS was Rashford not racially abused after the pen miss in the Euros final? Are these 'fans' just waiting for one slip up by a Utd player to racially abuse them or does their racism get trumped by club loyalties, all very odd. Hating on someone because of their skin colour just baffles me full stop, I can get disliking someone because of their actions, I mean Fernandes must be one of the most hated footballers in the country right now, and a lot of that comes down to how he behaves on a pitch and presents himself, but going straight to the racism against a guy just because of one tackle, when your club has multiple black players in it just makes no sense. 

If the people doing it can be found and are from the Uk then hopefully they get banned from social media and all football grounds. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JRM said:

Exactly, you see loads of comments on social media like "ban them for life" when it's almost certainly a troll looking for attention thousands of miles away 

The reason this will never go away is that racist posts on social media are a three way symbiotic (symtriotic?) relationship. People with sad lives who don’t get much attention get infamy, in many cases on the national news. Media outlets get a shocking and outrageous story they can overhype. People on the internet get to be offended and tell everyone else how shocked and disgusted they are. So everyone’s a winner and is getting what they want, except people like KWP obviously, but none of the other three actually cares about his feelings.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

The reason this will never go away is that racist posts on social media are a three way symbiotic (symtriotic?) relationship. People with sad lives who don’t get much attention get infamy, in many cases on the national news. Media outlets get a shocking and outrageous story they can overhype. People on the internet get to be offended and tell everyone else how shocked and disgusted they are. So everyone’s a winner and is getting what they want, except people like KWP obviously, but none of the other three actually cares about his feelings.

Remove the person that originally posted for infamy reasons? The rest just doesn’t happen. Racists have no place in a modern society.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Remove the person that originally posted for infamy reasons? The rest just doesn’t happen. Racists have no place in a modern society.

By person you mean the free, anonymous, easy to set up social media account. You can delete as many of them as you like, people will just set them up in less than a minute.

Not only do racists have a place in modern society, they’re in huge demand, whether you like it or not. To say something which is front page news has no place in society is quite clearly a massive contradiction.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

By person you mean the free, anonymous, easy to set up social media account. You can delete as many of them as you like, people will just set them up in less than a minute.

Not only do racists have a place in modern society, they’re in huge demand, whether you like it or not. To say something which is front page news has no place in society is quite clearly a massive contradiction.

I have the unpopular opinion that if you want to access a major social media platform and shout your mouth off to billions of others, you should have to provide ID in the same way you do for a bank account. No hiding then.

Will never happen, mind.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

You obviously have some kind of affinity to them. I choose to stand against racism where as you make excuses for them.  I reiterate they have no place in modern society front page news or not.

4 minutes ago, Saint_Jonny said:

I have the unpopular opinion that if you want to access a major social media platform and shout your mouth off to billions of others, you should have to provide ID in the same way you do for a bank account. No hiding then.

Will never happen, mind.

Some of the abuse online is not from this country and legal at the point of origin...

It cannot be stopped, sadly

Edited by AlexLaw76

23 minutes ago, Mr Nimbus said:

Just a comment on his performance yesterday. I thought he was absolutely fantastic. He transforms our attack when played at RB. I hope to see him played there for the rest of the season.

Smart move by Selles to bring him back to the right back position (despite him seemingly happy with AMN at RB) to try and nullify Rashford. 

1 hour ago, Saint_Jonny said:

Will never happen, mind.

Totally agree.  I have the even more unpopular view that you should also have to pay for the pleasure to use these sm platforms.  I also think that there should be much more stringent monitoring of these platforms as well.  I'm all for free speech, but let's be honest, much of what is posted would never ever be said face to face.  Its time to stand up to the trolls. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Micky said:

Totally agree.  I have the even more unpopular view that you should also have to pay for the pleasure to use these sm platforms.  I also think that there should be much more stringent monitoring of these platforms as well.  I'm all for free speech, but let's be honest, much of what is posted would never ever be said face to face.  Its time to stand up to the trolls. 

How do you police it if what is being said is legal from the country of origin?

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

How do you police it if what is being said is legal from the country of origin?

It's very difficult. You'd end up banning entire nations based on how their local laws don't align with the laws and culture of the country who plays host to the social media companies. 

Again, never going to happen. Even if it did you'd just end up with an Indian (or other) specific twitter (Twindian?) which would just be an echo chamber for homophobia and racism, even more so than today. It seems like any action is just kicking the can down the road.

1 hour ago, Micky said:

Simply ban pseudonym's and publish people's real names. It means some work by the SM companies to validate entries but insisting on names and actual addresses as opposed to email addresses would help stop this evil practice.

With free speech comes a responsibility to not abuse the privilege.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Toadhall Saint said:

You obviously have some kind of affinity to them. I choose to stand against racism where as you make excuses for them.  I reiterate they have no place in modern society front page news or not.

I don't see that view as someone having an affinity to them, I don't even think half of the people who post stuff like this know what race is - they just know what will get clicks and attention, they don't even understand half of what they post. 

I don't think anyone should excuse this, but I just don't see how you stop the vile content on social media. It's not just race, the same people play the fat shaming game, homophobic game, you name it they will fire shit at people - it seems to give them a kick for some reason. Sadly social media has given these warped individuals the platform to fulfil their incredibly deranged needs and sadly I don't think there is much you can do about it.

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Simply ban pseudonym's and publish people's real names. It means some work by the SM companies to validate entries but insisting on names and actual addresses as opposed to email addresses would help stop this evil practice.

With free speech comes a responsibility to not abuse the privilege.

Says “Charlie Wayman” 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't see that view as someone having an affinity to them, I don't even think half of the people who post stuff like this know what race is - they just know what will get clicks and attention, they don't even understand half of what they post. 

I don't think anyone should excuse this, but I just don't see how you stop the vile content on social media. It's not just race, the same people play the fat shaming game, homophobic game, you name it they will fire shit at people - it seems to give them a kick for some reason. Sadly social media has given these warped individuals the platform to fulfil their incredibly deranged needs and sadly I don't think there is much you can do about it.

This sums it up pretty well in my opinion. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Kyle Walker-Peters