Saints 5-3 Huddersfield - Match Thread

goodymatt

Straight back to the league and looking for 25 games undefeated. Huddersfield won their last game 4-0 with all 4 goals coming in a crazy 12 minute spell. We should have too much for Huddersfield, 3-0 is my prediction. 

It’s great being a Saints fan right now, really enjoying this run, our style and the promotion race. Keep it going Saints!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Harry_SFC said:

Only change I could see is Brooks coming in for Che, but do we need to change it? Despite Che's poor first half tonight he ended up with a goal and two assists. 

Isn't he cup tied?

• Haha 11
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I think we go back to the league 11, but there are a few from tonight who will feel a little hard done by! We have a strong squad though and this is exactly how it needs to be, not just squad fillers, but genuine first 11 players throughout the 20 or so.

I won't be complacent about this one as it's another potential banana skin for us, let's see what happens!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

I think we go back to the league 11, but there are a few from tonight who will feel a little hard done by! We have a strong squad though and this is exactly how it needs to be, not just squad fillers, but genuine first 11 players throughout the 20 or so.

I won't be complacent about this one as it's another potential banana skin for us, let's see what happens!

The front 3 of Fraser Adams and Arma are playing on merit for now.. it's upto Edozie, Mara and Brooks to really push them hard in training and perform on the pitch when their chance arrives. I think training during this run must be soo good to be a part of, Every single player wants to play.

Even Dibling and SAA will most likely ask the gaffer questions in training and during the FA cup match whether they deserve a start.

• Like 2

I'm slightly conflicted...

Heart says: unchanged starting 11 from previous league game

Head says: we have to find a starting berth for Brooks given he's obviously a cut above most of our squad, as good as they are at the moment. 

I think I'm leaning towards the head rather than the heart though... So I'd bring in Brooks for Adams...

Either way, it's another 3 goals and 3 points for the mighty Saints! COYR!

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Straight back to the league and looking for 25 games undefeated.

Would've thought you were fucking nuts if you told me back in September that this is how the February match threads would begin :lol:

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, trousers said:

Head says: we have to find a starting berth for Brooks given he's obviously a cut above most of our squad, as good as they are at the moment. 

I think I'm leaning towards the head rather than the heart though... So I'd bring in Brooks for Adams...

I think your head has got this one wrong. Dropping Adams for Brooks means Arma through the middle, where he hasn’t been playing much. The work Adams does through the middle is huge for Fraser and Arma getting the space they need in those wider positions. 

We all know he’ll miss some sitters but still deserves to start for what he contributes IMO. Agree Brooks looks decent but he’ll have to fight for that place over a few weeks as Fraser did. With all these games coming up it won’t be long 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, trousers said:

Let Brooks fight his way in off the bench like Fraser did. The person who has earned a start over Adams, if anyone, is Mara. 

• Like 8

This will be another team of Northern wankers put to the sword.  Routine 5-0, fuck knows who gets the goals, fuck knows who starts with everyone fit and in form.

Those Ee-Bah-Gum shitcunts will wish they stayed home looking after their whippets.  Fuck off back to your desolate shitholes.

• Haha 26

8 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

This will be another team of Northern wankers put to the sword.  Routine 5-0, fuck knows who gets the goals, fuck knows who starts with everyone fit and in form.

Those Ee-Bah-Gum shitcunts will wish they stayed home looking after their whippets.  Fuck off back to your desolate shitholes.

Harsh.. 

• Haha 6

9 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

Only change I could see is Brooks coming in for Che, but do we need to change it? Despite Che's poor first half tonight he ended up with a goal and two assists. 

I’m sure the assist for Mara’s first goal was a misplaced pass. 🤔

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

You need to get in touch with the club to write the matchday programme notes.  I'd pay an extra 50p for 'Introducing Today's Opponents' with Wade...

• Like 4
  • Haha 11

Was disappointing to draw up at their place with lots of missed chances, need to put that right. 

Huddersfield currently have a caretaker manager, always them a bit more unpredictable I think.  

Ipswich play at 12.30 so could find ourselves back down to 3rd by kick off. 

3 hours ago, kwsaint said:

Seems to be pretty close to another sell out apart from several hundred in block 43.

They should be able to release more in block 44 if needed , Huddersfield hardly bringing any down so room to move segregation along a bit further. 

2 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Eloquently put as always 🙂

10 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Are we sure Fraser is OK. Looks like he was about the only first teamer missing from the squad last night (other than Brooks), was anything said about his absence as he would normally be a shoe in for the bench due to his ability to change a game.

This should be another comfortable victory. The level of our football is proving simply too much for most teams in the Championship. Our lads must feel ten feet tall and full of confidence every time they cross the white line to go into battle. We've been through some rough times when we couldn't buy a win so I'm relishing it all the more. 

Goal difference is going to be a key factor going into the latter half of the season. We are still 3 goals worse than Leeds. Home games like this we need to be going for the throat. 

Not to sound arrogant at all!

4 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Is this meant to be funny?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Interesting game this one. Huddersfield will likely not want to do Leeds any favours by beating us, but they are a threat make no mistake and will be scrapping to stay out of the relegation zone. For that reason consistency but mostly experience will be of paramount importance in team selection. I’m confident now that Martin knows what team he needs to pick to win, however I do think this could be a big slippery banana skin.

2-2

Would love for us to be in a position whereby they can give Dibling 35 mins. He looked a real threat last night and the more game time he gets the better.

Same can be said of Meghoma, looked like a proper left back last night but don't think you can just discard Manning at this present time. 

Need to have a really positive first 45 and make sure we create and take our chances. That way, we should be able to give some key players a short afternoon and a rest before the next game!

Huddersfield had a confidence boosting win last time out but it was against Wednesday who are shite. My only change from our last league game would perhaps be Brooks for Che - Brooks wants first team football before the Euros which is why he joined us so perhaps that was a condition of us getting him. This is a game we need to win to get auto promotion and I can’t see why the unbeaten run can’t go on yet. 3-1 Saints.

7 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Wow, someone has a bee in their bonnet about Northerners.

Don't hold back now Wade, tell it like it is.

A bit like Rotherham, if we get a goal fairly early they'll crumble otherwise they'll park the bus, build a concrete wall behind it, top the wall with barbed wire and erect machine gun posts all along. 

I think we'll win though.

They are a very limited team and, just like in our home game against Rotherham, we should have been out of sight in the game at their place in November before they scored a freak goal out of nothing late on. We've improved a lot since then, and have become much more ruthless at home.

I still go into every game thinking this could be the one that trips us up and ends our run, but every time they just go and do the biz and surprise me. The recent games against Blackburn, Swansea and Wednesday were all potential banana skins in my eyes, but we blew them all away and won those games by an aggregate score of 13-0.

Despite that, I still can't quite bring myself to predict another convincing home win, because I've been supporting Saints for over 35 years and old habits die hard I guess.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Huddersfield had a confidence boosting win last time out but it was against Wednesday who are shite. My only change from our last league game would perhaps be Brooks for Che - Brooks wants first team football before the Euros which is why he joined us so perhaps that was a condition of us getting him. This is a game we need to win to get auto promotion and I can’t see why the unbeaten run can’t go on yet. 3-1 Saints.

Bit harsh to drop someone who just had a goal and 2 assists in the last match. 

2/3 goals up at HT after a blistering 1st half.. 2nd half game management and some rotation. 
FT:..Saints 4-1 Huddersfield 

Bristol city and West Brom away then Hull at home are the 3 key games that will define the rest of the season..

come through those games without losing and I can’t see us looking back.

Ipswich lose to West Brom Saturday and Leeds beat Rotherham comfortably.

2 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

Bit harsh to drop someone who just had a goal and 2 assists in the last match. 

True, and I don't think Russ will against Huddersfield and the line up will remain the same as the last League game, but my guess is Brooks probably needs to play, I suspect it may be a condition of the loan with the Euros coming up (just a guess but otherwise he could have remained at Bournemouth) and I don't think you can drop AA and Fraser right now, so unless he slots into one of the midfielder positions like Stu's or Will's I can't see anyone else but Che dropping out. Maybe not against Huddersfield but soon. Just speculation but still...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Yeah, let's stuff these know-it-all, ferret fiddlers.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CSA96 said:

Would've thought you were fucking nuts if you told me back in September that this is how the February match threads would begin :lol:

I just read this post to my wife, who knows very little about football.  She said “what! How are you not top if you’re 24 games unbeaten”

she makes a very good point and shows the ridiculously competitive season it is turning out to be

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 5-3 Huddersfield - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic