Saints 0-1 Stoke - Match Thread

Lighthouse

Those who gave up their time and paid to watch that crap must be thoroughly pissed off. RM could have tried some of the youngsters but probably figured if any of them played out of their skins he'd look pretty stupid for not giving them a go before.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JRM said:

Remember losing last game of the season 1-0 against them, Peter Crouch header, think it will be a similar game and result (different goal scorer obviously) 

Depressingly predictable rubbish , Martin should be packing his bags tonight 

• Like 5

What has happened to our form since mid second half against Cardiff when we should have been out of sight in that game? It reminds me of us a few seasons ago when we went into Aston Villa away on good form after beating West Ham in the cup, we lost 4 0 and our performances were terrible after that. 

• Like 3

Just now, Turkish said:

Don’t worry lads we’ll get a reaction at Leeds 

I'm hoping that we get an allergic one to Russ ball right fucking now! 

Some boos noticeable there at the end.

That was really just a lesson that we don;t have the squad to play RussBall.

To compound this, Martin made sure to drop the few players who are key to when it does work from the side. No engine of Downes, work rate of AA, presence of Adams. Oh, and he also shoehorned in Stephens resulting in THB having a poorer game than usual.

As usual, Martin got his possession stat. The base of everything he wants.
But we were never on top of either domination of play or chances.

A midfield that offered no physical presence, no disruption ot opponents play, no drive and no creativity. Supported by Mara, who doesn't offer the support Martin needs to have.

Fraser and Edozie had some bright moments, with Fraser's first half chance being our best effort. But that was Edozie beating his man, without anyone being there to get on the end of anything. Fraser cut in centrally to some success, but these were mostly scraps.

With all that mess in front of him, McCarthy is shown not to be able to pass anywhere near as well as Baz. On the other hand, he did have to make a number of stops today. Nothing spectacular, but you always wonder if Baz would have just managed to get "close" to one of them, but not close enough.

Martin has worked his way through the squad, and found he doens;t have the players who can do the things he needs. He has tried a number of things, and line up changes. But not for long.

You sense the players are impacted by the chopping and changign. All the work that's gone into Martin's system falls apart when the players put out weren't the best at it, or haven;t played as aunit regularly together.

There's that losing mentality around again.

No minutes for the youngsters. Martin is trying to find senior personnel to make something click. But we've pretty much gone through hsi options, so it would be nice to see them get some game time. We may be depending on them a lot next season, if we don;t go up.

Players takign families round the pitch. A shame there's nowhere near that feel good factor around, that flickered for a while earleir in the season.

Still, it's not over yet. Leeds fell apart the other night and WBA wil be disapointed they didn't kick on in the seocond half of the season.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, saintant said:

Those who gave up their time and paid to watch that crap must be thoroughly pissed off. RM could have tried some of the youngsters but probably figured if any of them played out of their skins he'd look pretty stupid for not giving them a go before.

Saw this coming so stayed at home. Best decision all season. Infuriatingly, 100% perfect stream today so every grindingly boring minute was clear to see

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, M271 said:

What has happened to our form since mid second half against Cardiff when we should have been out of sight in that game? It reminds me of us a few seasons ago when we went into Aston Villa away on good form after beating West Ham in the cup, we lost 4 0 and our performances were terrible after that. 

To me it just looks like Martin has completely lost the dressing room , they all know his days are numbered 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SonicBoom said:

Looking forward to brave Jack facing the media saying we weren't good enough and it's unacceptable. Then people saying he's a great captain and how much he loves the club ffs.

If you want to have a scapegoat for defeat today at least don't be so lazy to blame a centre back who wasn't at fault for their goal. 

Our midfield was non-existent for most of the game. 

Tactics all wrong

No balance in that side at all. Poorly organised. Few outlets for defenders to pass to. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, JRM said:

If you want to have a scapegoat for defeat today at least don't be so lazy to blame a centre back who wasn't at fault for their goal. 

Tactics all wrong

No balance in that side at all. Poorly organised. Few outlets for defenders to pass to. 

Our only tactic is to try to bore the opposition to death. RM doesn’t bother watching or trying to suss out the opposition 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Some boos noticeable there at the end.

That was really just a lesson that we don;t have the squad to play RussBall.

To compound this, Martin made sure to drop the few players who are key to when it does work from the side. No engine of Downes, work rate of AA, presence of Adams. Oh, and he also shoehorned in Stephens resulting in THB having a poorer game than usual.

As usual, Martin got his possession stat. The base of everything he wants.
But we were never on top of either domination of play or chances.

A midfield that offered no physical presence, no disruption ot opponents play, no drive and no creativity. Supported by Mara, who doesn't offer the support Martin needs to have.

Fraser and Edozie had some bright moments, with Fraser's first half chance being our best effort. But that was Edozie beating his man, without anyone being there to get on the end of anything. Fraser cut in centrally to some success, but these were mostly scraps.

With all that mess in front of him, McCarthy is shown not to be able to pass anywhere near as well as Baz. On the other hand, he did have to make a number of stops today. Nothing spectacular, but you always wonder if Baz would have just managed to get "close" to one of them, but not close enough.

Martin has worked his way through the squad, and found he doens;t have the players who can do the things he needs. He has tried a number of things, and line up changes. But not for long.

You sense the players are impacted by the chopping and changign. All the work that's gone into Martin's system falls apart when the players put out weren't the best at it, or haven;t played as aunit regularly together.

There's that losing mentality around again.

No minutes for the youngsters. Martin is trying to find senior personnel to make something click. But we've pretty much gone through hsi options, so it would be nice to see them get some game time. We may be depending on them a lot next season, if we don;t go up.

Players takign families round the pitch. A shame there's nowhere near that feel good factor around, that flickered for a while earleir in the season.

Still, it's not over yet. Leeds fell apart the other night and WBA wil be disapointed they didn't kick on in the seocond half of the season.

Martin will never manage a better squad in his career. Russball doesn't work. We need to build a squad for a system that does work next season under a competent manager.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JRM said:

To me it just looks like Martin has completely lost the dressing room , they all know his days are numbered 

He looked properly twitchy in the pre game presser - if he can't hide it there then unfortunately its bound to rub off on the players.

I actually feel quite sorry for the guy - it must be awful to know you are out of your depth and be under enormous pressure to turn things around without a clue as to how to do so.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JRM said:

Tactics all wrong

Not scapegoating him. Its just the annoying narrative that just because he comes out and admits we're crap, somehow he's a great captain. 

• Like 3

Played with no purpose.  Men Vs boys mentality.  We played as though we had glass ankles and didn't want to get hurt.  With that being the mentality, why play? Play the younger players who want to show they are the future and have something to prove.  

• Like 2

Fuck off Martin, tactics are absolute shite.  Would have lost by more if it wasn’t for McCarthy.

Fuck off Mara as well.  Total lack of effort.  The cunt should be embarrassed picking up his wages this week.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, JRM said:

Depressingly predictable rubbish , Martin should be packing his bags tonight 

Not sure I'd disagree with the sentiment, but who'd manage us in the play offs? That is a serious question. The decision on his future is post not pre the end of season 'fun'.

H&W quote above was excellent. Personally I'm spitting chips. The penultimate game of the regular season and tinkerman messes it up again. He might be a possession obsessive but he doesn't still know his best team, worse the slow own half possession is mind numbing. Brooks and Smallbone are strollers, Mara has no idea, Edozie is a one trick pony and usually the move ends with his possession. Anybody who thinks that playing this way we are going to win the playoffs including the manager is deluded. 

• Like 7

Given they just dished out the fans' and players' Player of the Year trophies on the pitch, one assumes there's no end of season awards presentation evening this year? Anyone know why?

Screenshot_20240427-173753.png

Edited by trousers

Just now, trousers said:

Given they just dished out the fans' and players' Player of the Year trophies on the pitch, one assumes there's no end of season awards presentation evening this year? Anyone know why?

Penny pinching is underway or no senior staff left to present them

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, trousers said:

The rehersal ended up with with the squad passing around the awards for 90mins, with none of them able to get it to a winner?

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson
  • Haha 4

Can only hope we do what we did after the shit run in early season when we suddenly got our act together against Leeds at SMS

Go back to as close to the lineup in the unbeaten run as possible 

McCarthy

KWP THB Bednarek Manning

smallbone Downes Aribo

Armstrong Adams Fraser 

It’s torture watching this “style” of football when we don’t pass forward and run 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, trousers said:

IMG_20240427_171422151.jpg

It's fitting they did a lap of appreciation in front of an empty stadium, perhaps it will sink in how the fanbase feel 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Why did they bother doing a lap of appreciation when everyone knows that it isn't the last home game of the season?

Perhaps they know the fans won’t be as appreciative when they lose in the playoffs.

A load of absolute dog shit. We played exactly like what we'll become once we start lingering in this league, a load of huff and puff mid-table also-ran bollocks. 

This season will always have been our best chance to get promoted, no other way to put it. I thought the very least we'd achieve would be Top 80's or low 90's points wise, and beating our 2011/2012 total - but we're not even going to manage that, which just adds weight to how underwhelming and frankly frustrating this entire season has been. Only we can go 26 games unbeaten and not achieve anything. Only we can keep the ball for an average of 70% and not achieve anything. Way to go everyone.

The first half was as bad as we've played this season, so slow, so predictable. I think we saw pretty clearly why the likes of Mara should be given away for free in the summer, in fact I'd pay someone to take that waste of space. Brooks, very, very disappointing - I like him as a player, always have done, but he plays as an individual and you can tell as clear as day that he's passing through - he has no interest or affiliation with us, we were just a convenient option for him when he wanted to play games. He'll waddle off back to Bournemouth in the summer after a completely forgettable loan spell.

THB is another one really, I think he knows the outcome is that he'll go back to City as we won't be buying him - so his commitment levels are through the floor. In many ways this is what happens when you fill your squad with loan players, commitment drops when they realise it's not ending as they thought - so they're planning their futures back at their parent clubs in the summer.

What that will leave us with is not worth thinking about at this stage, we'd be lucky to compete for top half. I'm not going to talk about the managers deficiencies as that's been done to death, but it genuinely feels to me that we have wasted an entire season on nothing - we won't even have sales to show for it, as our best players are loan players.

At this stage I'm struggling to get myself up for the playoffs, we'll enter it in the worst way possible on the back of 4 straight defeats - and I have no confidence that we'd even avoid defeat against any of the current Top 6. It feels like there is a certain inevitability about how it's going to end, so why waste our time - give our place to Hull and let us sort our shit out for what will be one hell of a summer of more change. 

• Like 9

I find it astounding that anyone truly believes this is the way football should be played. After all, it is supposed to be entertainment and yet there has been precious little of that under this ownership. Even when we were winning, a lot of the games were pretty dull. I know they are desperate to copy the Man. City model but City are the richest team in the world with some of the best players in the world, coached by the best coach in the world. We are a club with no money, second and third rate players, a fifth rate no-name coach and 10th rate owners. There literally are no similarities. 

Today was, again, a predictable result. The players have had all dynanacism they may have had earlier in the season coached out of them in the vain approach of retaining possession at all cost. A pointless strategy from a pointless coach and pointless owners. More of the same to come.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Do we fans needs to pick ourselves up and actually celebrate getting into the playoffs with the hope we build some energy.

Play offs were a minimum  expectation I think, so we've achieved that but really given our squad fallen short and fans rightfully feel very let down. I suspect the fan base will be up for the play off semi, so no, not really.

Edited by Winnersaint

18 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Why did they bother doing a lap of appreciation when everyone knows that it isn't the last home game of the season?

Because they know damn well the Chapel will boo slightly louder after an inevitable play off fuck up 

28 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

I don't want to go all MLT on everyone, but I am convinced there is something dodgy with the deals we've done with Man City.

It doesn't pass the smell test at all.

Spend 30m with them at a guess for 4 players and sell 1 player for 50m and also got compensation for their ex adamey director we got for free.

34 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

I don't want to go all MLT on everyone, but I am convinced there is something dodgy with the deals we've done with Man City.

It doesn't pass the smell test at all.

Yep. Bit fishy we bought up all the shite (Lavia aside) that City didn't want and then the 2 involved Shields and Wilcox (both former City) both jump ship at the earliest convenience.

Total scam!

Edited by OttawaSaint

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 0-1 Stoke - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic