Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 201 to 250 of 259

Thread: Forster - Loaned to Celtic: Official

  1. #201

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Was NI now Shropshire..!
    Posts
    8,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsland Red View Post
    Credit where it's due. He is doing well at Celtic. Against Lazio and today he looked useful on TV.
    Glad his luck has changed , that's football.
    I don't think it's his luck that has changed, more the level of teams that he now plays against.

    Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

  2. #202

    Default

    I'm happy he's doing well up there. Hopefully they buy him. His wages are ****ing ridiculous because Les gave him a new contract less than a year after he'd just signed a new contract. We need him off the books and let's be honest, he really isn't that good!

  3. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    I don't think it's his luck that has changed, more the level of teams that he now plays against.

    Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk
    On that theme you could argue the defenders in front of him are not so good.
    His job is primarily to prevent goals and somehow his luck / coaching / confidence were all at a low point at our club.


    ...and Lazio were quite good !!!

  4. #204

    Default

    Just seen the highlights, I know the SPL is a far cry from the EPL, but it doesn't take away from how good a game he had today.

    Numerous point blank saves, another flying into top bag that he managed to tip around the post and a superb penalty save.

    It's hard to say how he compares to our GK's currently, the pressures on Saints and our players are entirely different to those faced in Celtic's season.

  5. #205

    Default

    I suggest a trade with Celtic. We give them FF, Dave "nice hair" Watson and Kelvin, and we get whoever their GK coach is.

  6. #206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Munster View Post
    I suggest a trade with Celtic. We give them FF, Dave "nice hair" Watson and Kelvin, and we get whoever their GK coach is.
    It’s Tommy Forecast!!

  7. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    I don't think it's his luck that has changed, more the level of teams that he now plays against.

    Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk
    I am not sure that I see the logic in this when it comes to keepers. A great save is a great save at any level of football.

  8. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    I don't think it's his luck that has changed, more the level of teams that he now plays against.

    Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk
    I am not sure that I see the logic in this when it comes to keepers. A great save is a great save at any level of football.

  9. #209

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Was NI now Shropshire..!
    Posts
    8,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by St_Tel49 View Post
    I am not sure that I see the logic in this when it comes to keepers. A great save is a great save at any level of football.
    I'm not denying that he may have had a good game and made good saves during that game. The point being that he won't be the 1st average player to do well in a league that is obviously of a lower standard to the one he left. How many of you would've had Fraser or Mo down to win trohpies while they were in the Premier League, slightly easier to win things now and be at the fore of that league I would suggest.

  10. Default

    Best outcome ? Forster continues to have good games for Celtic and a deal is done .

    Knock on is Saints use free up of wage bill / transfer fee to get 2 proven defenders in , plenty of top clubs use 30 year old proven defenders such as J Evans etc.

  11. #211

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    CHELSEA
    Posts
    1,496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by St_Tel49 View Post
    I am not sure that I see the logic in this when it comes to keepers. A great save is a great save at any level of football.
    I agree, and at the end of the day the team he was playing against yesterday are quite good. Probably lower EPL level......

  12. #212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by East Kent Saint View Post
    Best outcome ? Forster continues to have good games for Celtic and a deal is done .

    Knock on is Saints use free up of wage bill / transfer fee to get 2 proven defenders in , plenty of top clubs use 30 year old proven defenders such as J Evans etc.
    Celtic aren't able to pay him anything close to what he's on here. I would've thought it unlikely that we will be prepared to do a severance deal with a guy who is playing out of his skin. Conversely, with the history (the total loss of form) I think it unlikely someone else will offer a deal that works for him financially considering what he would be giving up.

  13. Default

    It was said in the Scottish press that FF was prepared to take a pay cut to get a deal in his old happy home !

  14. #214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ludgershallsaint View Post
    Celtic aren't able to pay him anything close to what he's on here. I would've thought it unlikely that we will be prepared to do a severance deal with a guy who is playing out of his skin. Conversely, with the history (the total loss of form) I think it unlikely someone else will offer a deal that works for him financially considering what he would be giving up.
    Clearly, FF from his last interview is more than delighted at Celtic. Despite our keeper issue, he is unlikely to become the starting keeper at Saints, so best option is FF takes a bit of a pay cut, and we agree to sell him for around £5M - not ideal but a fair compromise by all sides. Only hope we use funds to buy a decent CM in return.

  15. #215

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Leslie Tiller was f**king murdered!
    Posts
    12,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    Clearly, FF from his last interview is more than delighted at Celtic. Despite our keeper issue, he is unlikely to become the starting keeper at Saints, so best option is FF takes a bit of a pay cut, and we agree to sell him for around £5M - not ideal but a fair compromise by all sides. Only hope we use funds to buy a decent CM in return.
    More likely we'd terminate the contract mutually for free and Celtic offer him a big signing on fee to cover his drop in wages. I can't see us getting him off the wage bill AND getting a fee.

  16. #216

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Marchwood
    Posts
    366

    Default

    Give them Forster and Elyounoussi in return for Kristoffer Ajer and Jeremie Frimpong?

  17. #217

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Searching for the voice of reason
    Posts
    3,953
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    More likely we'd terminate the contract mutually for free and Celtic offer him a big signing on fee to cover his drop in wages. I can't see us getting him off the wage bill AND getting a fee.
    Unless some other team comes in for him as he is showing what he can do now (ok, far fetched I know)!

  18. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GDog07 View Post
    Just seen the highlights, I know the SPL is a far cry from the EPL, but it doesn't take away from how good a game he had today.

    Numerous point blank saves, another flying into top bag that he managed to tip around the post and a superb penalty save.

    It's hard to say how he compares to our GK's currently, the pressures on Saints and our players are entirely different to those faced in Celtic's season.

    I also watched extended highlights and I'm really pleased for Fraser, i really am. But look again at the performance and it's lucky save after lucky save, at no point does Fraser look in control. It was a terrible penalty that he saved, plus he was well off his line when it was taken, so in the Premier League with VAR it would have been retaken. It was just a series of punches and last ditch kicks that looked more at home in League 2. I won't even mention the unclaimed crosses.
    But anyway, good luck to him. Seems like a really top bloke and good to see him as a winner north of the border, and i wish him further success with Celtic . He woukd be a fool to return here, even if that was an option

  19. #219

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Romsey
    Posts
    860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davefoggy View Post
    I also watched extended highlights and I'm really pleased for Fraser, i really am. But look again at the performance and it's lucky save after lucky save, at no point does Fraser look in control. It was a terrible penalty that he saved, plus he was well off his line when it was taken, so in the Premier League with VAR it would have been retaken. It was just a series of punches and last ditch kicks that looked more at home in League 2. I won't even mention the unclaimed crosses.
    But anyway, good luck to him. Seems like a really top bloke and good to see him as a winner north of the border, and i wish him further success with Celtic . He woukd be a fool to return here, even if that was an option
    Have you see any Europa league games? He has been at that level every time. Maybe it’s less pressure for him up there, apparently his mental state was not good at Saints. I don’t think he would favour a return.

  20. #220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchards View Post
    Itís Tommy Forecast!!
    You almost had me there.

    http://www.celticfc.net/news/14113

  21. #221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crab Lungs View Post
    And being legitimately cr4p, which is also another problem
    People on the radio saying he should get an England call up at this rate.

  22. #222

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    22,836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    People on the radio saying he should get an England call up at this rate.
    Does help that no english keeper is that great at the moment.

    Forster is doing well. And the league isn't the main thing. Not long ago he'd have panicked at any shot on target. And doing it in european games and cup finals is as big or bigger pressure than he faced here.

    He's a limited keeper but he's found form. And I've no doubt at all that Forster on form is better than Gunn or McCarthy on form. All three off form are pathetic.

    Bet Forster would instantly regress again if he came back here.

  23. #223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davefoggy View Post
    I also watched extended highlights and I'm really pleased for Fraser, i really am. But look again at the performance and it's lucky save after lucky save, at no point does Fraser look in control. It was a terrible penalty that he saved, plus he was well off his line when it was taken, so in the Premier League with VAR it would have been retaken. It was just a series of punches and last ditch kicks that looked more at home in League 2. I won't even mention the unclaimed crosses.
    But anyway, good luck to him. Seems like a really top bloke and good to see him as a winner north of the border, and i wish him further success with Celtic . He woukd be a fool to return here, even if that was an option
    But thatís Forster as a keeper. It depends on your view but itís likely that if youíve played in goal before then you will see being in the position the ball is hit and stopping it houngbin off any old body part as a good save. Looks a bit rough but the 0 at the end of the word Rangers in the shoreline is all that matters.

    Itís the type if keeping that he did well at with us, he fills the goal and blocks.

    He had a dodgy moment early on that worked out fine and sometimes itís those tiny moments that make it break players. Iím glad itís going well for him, he will never look that pretty in goal but can be a good keeper on one level. If his confidence had state high and he commanded his area heíd be excellent. Hope he continued story go well up there for nothing more than his own sake. Easy to knock his style but when mom in a 1-0 cup win you deserve nothing but praise

  24. #224

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Was NI now Shropshire..!
    Posts
    8,538

  25. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Troy View Post
    But that’s Forster as a keeper. It depends on your view but it’s likely that if you’ve played in goal before then you will see being in the position the ball is hit and stopping it houngbin off any old body part as a good save. Looks a bit rough but the 0 at the end of the word Rangers in the shoreline is all that matters.

    It’s the type if keeping that he did well at with us, he fills the goal and blocks.

    He had a dodgy moment early on that worked out fine and sometimes it’s those tiny moments that make it break players. I’m glad it’s going well for him, he will never look that pretty in goal but can be a good keeper on one level. If his confidence had state high and he commanded his area he’d be excellent. Hope he continued story go well up there for nothing more than his own sake. Easy to knock his style but when mom in a 1-0 cup win you deserve nothing but praise
    Yeah good points there, well made. I wish him all the best

  26. #226

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Posts
    685

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shandy_Top_89 View Post
    Give them Forster and Elyounoussi in return for Kristoffer Ajer and Jeremie Frimpong?
    Frimpong looks a talent. I know its hard to judge players in the Scottish League (except VVD who was just strolling around) but Jullien doing well it seems. A play we were linked with before signing Vestergaard

  27. Default

    Watched the highlights, he looked like old Forster again, throwing that massive frame in front of anything, he was never the most elegant keeper or the most technically accomplished I don't think, but at his best he's this huge, brave, commanding presence with very good reflexes that was able to pull off some absurd saves.

    His confidence clearly went, weren't their rumours of mental health issues? He wasn't commanding his area, wasn't being brave, coming out forcefully for us, wasn't coming at the ball, and that is where the mistakes came.

    Good to see him doing well, always seemed like an honest pro and a decent guy.

    Hopefully we can raise some funds from him to buy needed replacements elsewhere, I don't think him coming back is good idea, looks like the change of scene has done the trick and you wouldn't want to risk him coming back and falling into the same funk again. Plus long term I think Gunn will be a much better keeper.

  28. #228

    Default

    It all seemed to start at and after his injury. Maybe there was a lurking moment's hesitation before committing himself? Then loss of confidence and a downward spiral

  29. #229

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Plymouth
    Posts
    5,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brmbrm View Post
    It all seemed to start at and after his injury. Maybe there was a lurking moment's hesitation before committing himself? Then loss of confidence and a downward spiral
    He wasn't very good before that. He had a brilliant defence in front of him yet still struggled to save anything lower than his waist, couldn't get across to save anything that wasn't straight at him, had no command of his penalty area and his kicking is atrocious.

    I've never met Forster but I've read a few accounts of people that have and from what I can gather, he's a really nice guy so I'm pleased things are working out for him back at Celtic but sadly he's never been very good for us (excluding games played against Arsenal where he always seemed to be world class for some reason).

  30. Default

    It seems the only winner so far has been FF himself. If he was paid £80k a week for 2 years inactivity, that's £8M we have given him.
    If he puts £5M of that on the table, and Celtic match it, I'm sure we'd take the £10M.
    I'm not trying to minimise his mental anguish previously, but he is fine now (presumably) and I don't see why we shouldn't get a return on our investment.

  31. #231

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Leslie Tiller was f**king murdered!
    Posts
    12,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the saint in winchester View Post
    It seems the only winner so far has been FF himself. If he was paid £80k a week for 2 years inactivity, that's £8M we have given him.
    If he puts £5M of that on the table, and Celtic match it, I'm sure we'd take the £10M.
    I'm not trying to minimise his mental anguish previously, but he is fine now (presumably) and I don't see why we shouldn't get a return on our investment.
    Sorry, have I got this right... you’d like Forster to pay £5m from his own money to pay for a transfer fee to a club where he’ll be paid a lot less?

    We would take £0 for Forster, if it got him off the wage bill.

  32. #232

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    2,002

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Sorry, have I got this right... you’d like Forster to pay £5m from his own money to pay for a transfer fee to a club where he’ll be paid a lot less?

    We would take £0 for Forster, if it got him off the wage bill.
    I think we'd want a fee for him now.

  33. #233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brmbrm View Post
    It all seemed to start at and after his injury. Maybe there was a lurking moment's hesitation before committing himself? Then loss of confidence and a downward spiral
    All of the goalkeepers coached by Dave Watson got worse, not just Forster. Now that Watson has been replaced, hopefully things will improve. Unfortunately though, he is now coaching our outfield players.

  34. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danbert View Post
    I think we'd want a fee for him now.
    Yeah, I saw a report that we had named the price for Forster as £20M. So we need to find a compromise agreement. Someone mentioned getting Celtic players in exchange, which may be a good option.

  35. #235

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sunny Dubai
    Posts
    10,525
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the saint in winchester View Post
    Yeah, I saw a report that we had named the price for Forster as £20M. So we need to find a compromise agreement. Someone mentioned getting Celtic players in exchange, which may be a good option.
    Ha Ha ..... in our dreams. Scottish Football is not awash with momey. Even Celtic have only paid 2 fees above 6 million ever, 9m for Edouard and 7m this summer for Jullien.

    Nothing else above 6 million ......... we'd be lucky to get 8 million for a Forster and Elyounoussi package deal.

  36. #236

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Leslie Tiller was f**king murdered!
    Posts
    12,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danbert View Post
    I think we'd want a fee for him now.
    No doubt. We won’t be getting it though.

  37. Default Celtic hope to snap up Fraser Forster in permanent deal this summer


  38. Default

    I love (as in 'balk at') all this talk of "the club will do everything in their power to turn the loan into a permanent deal". Everything except pay the fee that we are asking in order to facilitate that wish of theirs.

  39. #239

    Default

    "if Frazer can do a deal with Southampton" They buy him cheap and we pay a lump of his contract so they can cut price him. We should bring him back and only if he can't win his place, on present form he could, we should sell him to the highest bidder.

  40. #240

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Fine City of Southampton
    Posts
    3,357

    Default

    He’s in the kind of form, if not better, that Celtic deemed worthy of a £10m fee for when we bought him. They should start the bidding at least at that, it’s up to them to convince Forster to take a pay cut.

  41. #241

    Default

    I'll be glad to get his reported 100k a week salary off our wage bill.

    c£5m a year saved immediately.

    Take 2-3m fee if you can get it, but don't gamble and end up being stuck with him.

  42. #242

    Default

    Hopefully he gets in the next England squad , that would make me chuckle.

  43. #243

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Forest
    Posts
    5,828

    Default

    Fraser Forster's continuing success at Celtic is heart-warming stuff for all who like romantic Roy of the Rovers come-back stories. I was sad for the lad and all his troubles before making the temporary move back north of the border. He has dug in deep and found something inside himself that has rekindled the spark of greatness that once seemed to burn so bright.

    Will be intriguing to see how the club handle him this summer with none of our retained keepers showing much above adequate performance levels since the Big Man left.

    Cynics will say no doubt, grab the dosh and get rid but those who understand football a bit more may counsel for the coaching staff to take a second look at him as they did with Boufal.

  44. Default

    Imagine having a Merc in the garage but commuting to work in an eco car because it gives better fuel consumption. Then your neighbour says "come on mate, let me have the Merc off you for free as you're not driving it".
    You'd be prepared to accept market value for it, maybe, but give it to him for free? I think not.
    This seems to be the line Celtic are adopting. "You're not playing him, so he's worthless to you. Give him to us for free" (Some even saying give the player some money as well.)

    I agree with above. If Celtic don't want to pay market value, then bring him and back to sell to highest bidder (if offer acceptable) or retain. Can't see why we should give him away.

  45. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the saint in winchester View Post
    Imagine having a Merc in the garage but commuting to work in an eco car because it gives better fuel consumption. Then your neighbour says "come on mate, let me have the Merc off you for free as you're not driving it".
    You'd be prepared to accept market value for it, maybe, but give it to him for free? I think not.
    This seems to be the line Celtic are adopting. "You're not playing him, so he's worthless to you. Give him to us for free" (Some even saying give the player some money as well.)

    I agree with above. If Celtic don't want to pay market value, then bring him and back to sell to highest bidder (if offer acceptable) or retain. Can't see why we should give him away.
    The Merc in the garage wouldn't be costing you £3.6million a year to sit there and do **** all. That's why we should get Forster off the wage bill for whatever we can get.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  46. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Wayman View Post
    Fraser Forster's continuing success at Celtic is heart-warming stuff for all who like romantic Roy of the Rovers come-back stories. I was sad for the lad and all his troubles before making the temporary move back north of the border. He has dug in deep and found something inside himself that has rekindled the spark of greatness that once seemed to burn so bright.

    Will be intriguing to see how the club handle him this summer with none of our retained keepers showing much above adequate performance levels since the Big Man left.

    Cynics will say no doubt, grab the dosh and get rid but those who understand football a bit more may counsel for the coaching staff to take a second look at him as they did with Boufal.
    What a load of pony.

    ďSpark of greatnessĒ lol

    Heís been barely adequate himself, extremely average keeper. Just because he looks half decent in a pub league doesnít change that.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  47. #247

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In the doghouse...again
    Posts
    3,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint_clark View Post
    The Merc in the garage wouldn't be costing you £3.6million a year to sit there and do **** all. That's why we should get Forster off the wage bill for whatever we can get.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    I'm pretty sure that he costs us more than that, but whatever it is, I agree with your approach.

  48. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint_clark View Post
    The Merc in the garage wouldn't be costing you £3.6million a year to sit there and do **** all. That's why we should get Forster off the wage bill for whatever we can get.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    That figure suggests Celtic are paying nothing toward his wages, and we are paying the lot, the whole £70k/wk. Is that the case?
    I don't believe we would have done that deal. We're a compassionate employer having funded his sick leave, but I can't imagine we would still be paying the full wage while he is at Celtic. Pure hypothesis - maybe Celtic pay £20k, we pay £50k?
    The "whatever we can get" needs to be a significant clawback on our costs in the last 2 years.

  49. #249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the saint in winchester View Post
    That figure suggests Celtic are paying nothing toward his wages, and we are paying the lot, the whole £70k/wk. Is that the case?
    I don't believe we would have done that deal. We're a compassionate employer having funded his sick leave, but I can't imagine we would still be paying the full wage while he is at Celtic. Pure hypothesis - maybe Celtic pay £20k, we pay £50k?
    The "whatever we can get" needs to be a significant clawback on our costs in the last 2 years.
    https://www.scotsman.com/sport/footb...star-1-5088785

    Not sure how accurate this site is but suggest Celtic are paying £40K per week - 50%?

  50. #250

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    https://www.scotsman.com/sport/footb...star-1-5088785

    Not sure how accurate this site is but suggest Celtic are paying £40K per week - 50%?
    I’ve seen reports saying 70k and others up to 100k pw

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •