• Ward-Prowse
    • Davis, S
    • Elia
    • Mane
    • Pelle
    • Gardos
    • Schneiderlin
    • Tadic

Deserved for sure. On top for a good 80% of that game and should have been a goal up before that, as the Mane offside (which he would have finished) wasn't offside and Fonte's shot that hit the bar was damn unlucky.

But we stuck in there, kept going, never gave up - and bam. We just had that little bit of extra quality in Mane and he made the difference all afternoon. Still incredibly tight, but we simply will not go away....

VW immense as usual while he was on, Mane looked very sharp, Elia & Tadic both showed flashes. JWP and Davis both mediocre with some very wayward long balls and the usual woeful shooting. Defence pretty solid considering the personnel changes.

As for Pelle, I suppose it's too late in the season to start thinking about breaking our reliance on playing with a target man, but I really can't remember an attack building off the back of one of his knock-downs or flicks in the last three games. For a team that prides itself on possession and passing, it's actually a little perverse to constantly look for the big man, especially when his retention must be down to about 1 in 10 at the moment. No idea whether he's good enough, but I really hope Djuricic is able to slot in at number ten, as with Mane and Elia's pace and movement, what we are crying out for is someone central who plays with his head up in the final third.

Newcastle away (excluding one FA cup tie)

Brilliant three points from not the greatest performance. Fans moaning on here today during the game and obviously we weren't exactly silky but let's not overlook the fact that our return from the last 8 league games is 19 points. If we can beat West Ham, who will have one eye on the FA Cup, we have a nice break and the chance to get a few back to full fitness.

Delighted we've got 3 points. Massive scare at the end and we got lucky there. I didn't think it was a foul on Forster, he's 6ft 7 - He should be taking that ball out of the sky with ease but he panicked.
It doesn't matter tall he is.. the had the ball in his hands and the QPR player jumped into Forster's body and jarred it out.

That is a foul every time.

Forster would have dropped it had there been no contact? I don't think so.

I don't think we were as poor as some on here do; we were a couple of inches away from taking a lead into half time when Jose hit the bar, and might have been 2 up if Mane's chip over Green hadn't drifted wide of the open net. I thought that for at least the first 60 minutes the defence and midfield were in control, we just lacked clarity of thought and coolness in application when we got to their penalty box.

On the balance of play I think we deserved the 3 points.

Hello Freya/Alan/Cork family member, glad to know you still follow Saints!

So you didn't notice Davis twice trying to hit the left winger and booming straight to the keeper second half? Or that attempt at a shot from the edge of the box? I get it, you love his sturdy frame and his staunchly protestant work ethic, but I don't think I'm the blinkered one here. Solid squad player, nothing more.

Thought Tadic was very poor, refusing to do the easy pass and trying to be too clever, resulting in giving the ball away pretty often.

Yoshida, on the other hand, was excellent. We're very lucky to have a player as good as he is who's okay with not being a first choice. Clyne is also continuing his excellent season, he's possibly our most reliable player.

good to get three points off a very stubborn qpr that had their chances to beat us! is koeman gambling that the midfield and wingers will score enough goals for the rest of the season? as pelle is very out of sorts at the moment

Thought Tadic was very poor, refusing to do the easy pass and trying to be too clever, resulting in giving the ball away pretty often.

Yoshida, on the other hand, was excellent. We're very lucky to have a player as good as he is who's okay with not being a first choice. Clyne is also continuing his excellent season, he's possibly our most reliable player.

Who knows, when Tadic's mate turns up, it might reignite the talent he has, which he does have.

Thoroughly pleased to see the best team win and the right scoreline achieved. I'm a bit gutted that I didn't put Mane on as first goal scorer, especially because it was building all game. I am delighted that it was such a sweet goal when it finally came though. Have to admit, was a teeny bit worried when they brought Vargas on; reading the excellent Fans Network post-mortem of Redknapp's departure, seemed like this guy was a stat-monster that was neglected by 'Arry and would have everything to prove. Fortunately, other than perhaps contributing a new beard/hairstyle combo, the bloke didn't make a significant impact.

The antidote to the Swansea game, really. Plugged away all game, and did get the 3 points.

Everyone'll take that.

A super late goal from (a rather impressive) Mane and a equally good save from Forster resulted in us nicking a win from a game that might well have been a draw. I'm sure everyone reading this will join me in hoping that Matt Targett's injury is not too serious.

Great to see Schneiderlin and Big Vic back, but Pelle is a worry because he really is struggling to make much of a impact at the moment and we need him.

Is it not possible that Pelle had a different role today? One that involved him winning the ball and laying it off or playing in to the 2 speedsters getting behind a slow Rangers defence.

Great win, happy to lose 12 quid the goal went in just as I stuck 15 on us not to beat West Ham. Hope to lose that,too. If it costs me 200 quid to see us get into the champions league I'll consider it money well flushed.

Very happy with the win, very happy.

That being said thought we looked average today, good at the back and in the middle but our forward play just looks woeful at times. Pelle looks a shade of the player he was earlier this season, and Tadic continues to offer nothing. Still not convinced JWP offers much to the team either, his dead balls and crosses rarely offer anything. Baffled why we gave up on buying a striker so easily.

So you didn't notice Davis twice trying to hit the left winger and booming straight to the keeper second half? Or that attempt at a shot from the edge of the box? I get it, you love his sturdy frame and his staunchly protestant work ethic, but I don't think I'm the blinkered one here. Solid squad player, nothing more.

Now that's some progress from your usual negative propaganda.

I also saw that he hit the left winger (and the right winger once) at least three times before that (including a good Mane chance), and set a good number of JWP and Clyne crosses, as well as recovering a number of loose balls in midfield and distributing it with his usual efficiency (no mistakes today in that chapter!), and took on the box-to-box role very well and provided excellent cover for Wanyama and the FBs, something I'm yet to see any other midfielder of our squad actively do but he ALWAYS does.

You're right, I do like his work ethic because it works for us, in fact very well most of the times. But hey, if I preferred a player that has now left I'd be biased too!

Happy with this. Last week we played really well and got nothing, this week it's the complete opposite.

Mane was quality all game, QPR's defence just couldn't handle him.

Just think, if we'd beaten Swansea last week and City hadn't got that last minute goal today, we'd be second! But ifs, buts and maybes I guess.

Big 3 points (aren't they all at this stage of the season). Kept on going and finally got our rewards.

14 games to go, 10 wins needed - going to be a hell of a ride over the next 3 months.

For some reason, when put like that, I don't think we will get 10 wins out of 14.

Right now, our win percentage is 58%, and 10 wins out of 14 would need us to increase that to a 71% win rate.

Was not a foul on Forster at all. We'd have been rightly ****ed off if that had gone against us. Forster caught the ball and then he brought it down on a QPR players head, dropped it, and it went in. We got lucky, for once! Wooooop!!!!!

Mane mane mane mane mane mane mane mane mane mane mane mane mane mane mane

Who cares if we were poor? Got the job done, could be a season definining goal from Mane. A draw would have raised questions and our chance for CL qualification would have been dead. The margins are so fine now, and the West Ham game is another must win. But we are still in the mix, and march on.

Was not a foul on Forster at all. We'd have been rightly ****ed off if that had gone against us. Forster caught the ball and then he brought it down on a QPR players head, dropped it, and it went in. We got lucky, for once! Wooooop!!!!!

Mane mane mane mane mane mane mane mane mane mane mane mane mane mane mane

It was disallowed for offside. That's what the ref was indicating as Forster was screaming in his face (an incident for which he was rightly booked, I have no idea why he was that angry)

Is it not possible that Pelle had a different role today? One that involved him winning the ball and laying it off or playing in to the 2 speedsters getting behind a slow Rangers defence.

Great win, happy to lose 12 quid the goal went in just as I stuck 15 on us not to beat West Ham. Hope to lose that,too. If it costs me 200 quid to see us get into the champions league I'll consider it money well flushed.

Problem with that role is that pelle needs to actually win some headers to hold possession, for the size of the bloke his ratio of winning headers is dreadful

For some reason, when put like that, I don't think we will get 10 wins out of 14.

Right now, our win percentage is 58%, and 10 wins out of 14 would need us to increase that to a 71% win rate.

Surely it's the same for the teams immediately below us - we don't need a points target, we just need to keep ahead of the pack.