Alex McCarthy

Heisenberg

57 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Perhaps this one is for a lower salary?

Yeah if he's taking a pay cut it won't kick in till his current contract runs out. 

Honestly I'd rather just get rid. If we sign a new number one and he gets injured, suspended or out of form then we STILL have a backup keeper who isn't good enough. 

• Like 2

A lot of nasty hate talk on here about Macca. It's a shame as he certainly tries his best and is a good shot stopper, he's just not to Premier League standards unfortunately. Would make a good back up IMO but absolutely will be responsible for more of our lost points this season than any other player. Most important position for us to strengthen in January. Usually we have several areas whereas I feel we have good squad depth at the moment. With a new keeper and Stuart Armstrong coming back into the team we could have a much better second half of the season, and the first half has gone better than I had expected. COYR.

3 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Perhaps this one is for a lower salary?

Very much doubt his new contract will be for less money. Football clubs seem to forget they are businesses and waste money like confetti. At his age and skills level he should expect a fairly substantial drop in salary. Same as the poor decision to offer Walcott a contract on big money. You'd think the accountants would put their foot down and stop all this overspending with no justification.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Very much doubt his new contract will be for less money. Football clubs seem to forget they are businesses and waste money like confetti. At his age and skills level he should expect a fairly substantial drop in salary. Same as the poor decision to offer Walcott a contract on big money. You'd think the accountants would put their foot down and stop all this overspending with no justification.  

The club know they are signing a new keeper before the start of next season at the latest so it's fair to assume whatever AM is offered will be whatever is fair to pay a backup keeper.

• Like 1

Why did he have no idea? That's a worry for me. The players in our side are way too quiet, no one takes leadership of on-field issues and just sleepwalk in moments like that.

Someone should have flagged that as soon as it was known, even McCarthy himself.

Lewis it is then. Not sure we have anyone else?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Why did he have no idea? That's a worry for me. The players in our side are way too quiet, no one takes leadership of on-field issues and just sleepwalk in moments like that.

Someone should have flagged that as soon as it was known, even McCarthy himself.

Lewis it is then. Not sure we have anyone else?

Maybe it happened seconds before the goal?

2 minutes ago, Saints foreva said:

Didn't Lyanco take a goal kick for him? 

Yes, and I noticed McCarthy wincing when he did take a goal kick early in the 2nd half.

I notice Ralph has laid into Alex, saying he should have signalled to the bench instead of staying quiet

14 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

It didn't. Ralph is also scathing at the lack of communication and professionalism.

He is right to be unhappy, but we didn’t draw due to Alex not going off. 

Ralph is slightly deflecting attention from another poor second half display under his stewardship. 

It makes me wonder if Ralph is finally feeling the heat. 

Edited by Billy the Kidd
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It didn't. Ralph is also scathing at the lack of communication and professionalism.

He also admitted that he knew he was injured “that’s why we couldn’t play out from the back second half”. It beggars belief that the bench just sat there without trying to ascertain the severity of it. Lack of professionalism & communication all round. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Billy the Kidd said:

He is right to be unhappy, but we didn’t draw due to Alex not going off. 

Ralph is slightly deflecting attention from another poor second half display under his stewardship. 

It makes me wonder if Talph is finally feeling the heat. 

We largely did draw because of Alex not going off and the idiocy that it led to with JWP.

We played pretty well in the 2nd half until we panicked at the pressure of playing 10 men.

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

We largely did draw because of Alex not going off and the idiocy that it led to with JWP.

We played pretty well in the 2nd half until we panicked at the pressure of playing 10 men.

Sorry I’m not sure what you mean. How did we largely draw due to Alex?

how about the 44 minutes of relative  inactivity and lack of input from Ralph? I’d suggest that was more why we didn’t control barely any of that second half. 

sure, JWP should have cleared lines. I don’t accept the bollocks about the free kick, all 11 players should know if we have used all 3 subs, and should have alerted the manager, who also should have noticed something wasn’t right 

6 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

He also admitted that he knew he was injured “that’s why we couldn’t play out from the back second half”. It beggars belief that the bench just sat there without trying to ascertain the severity of it. Lack of professionalism & communication all round. 

Are you saying Ralph knew Alex was injured, or the players? Amateurish whatever, and I can’t accept Ralph doesn’t shoulder a large part of this. 

Ironically he's just probably played his best shot stopping games of the season today. All undone by causing a series of monumental f*** ups by not signalling to the bench to be taken off or at least going down for treatment. If a fully fit keeper is in goal, JWP doesn't drop back to the line, that prick Maupay is offside and we win the game...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Are you saying Ralph knew Alex was injured, or the players? Amateurish whatever, and I can’t accept Ralph doesn’t shoulder a large part of this. 

Ralph. He said he knew he was injured but “didn’t know how tough it was” (I presume English not being his first language, he meant he didn’t know the extent of it, or it was worse than he thought). If that’s the case, it’s pretty poor from both players and management, but sums the club up. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

Ralph. He said he knew he was injured but “didn’t know how tough it was” (I presume English not being his first language, he meant he didn’t know the extent of it). If that’s the case, it’s pretty poor from both players and management, but sums the club up. 

It fucking beggars belief, what an absolute disaster of a game. And poor management.

The worst part of it, was most of us knew how this would end. 

With how Ralph reacted at the end, I wonder if he is under more pressure. And rightly so. 

Ive always been happy to stick with Ralph, but don’t honk it is getting better and concerned it is going to get worse. I don’t but I to this bollocks of no one else being available, same ha been said for years no matter who the manager is, same was said of ‘Poch who’ when they sacked Adkins, same when Ralph took over from Hughes. For me, I’d be amazed if he saw Xmas day as Saints manager, only thing that may save him is the takeover that may be going on in the background. 

1 hour ago, Billy the Kidd said:

It fucking beggars belief, what an absolute disaster of a game. And poor management.

The worst part of it, was most of us knew how this would end. 

With how Ralph reacted at the end, I wonder if he is under more pressure. And rightly so. 

Ive always been happy to stick with Ralph, but don’t honk it is getting better and concerned it is going to get worse. I don’t but I to this bollocks of no one else being available, same ha been said for years no matter who the manager is, same was said of ‘Poch who’ when they sacked Adkins, same when Ralph took over from Hughes. For me, I’d be amazed if he saw Xmas day as Saints manager, only thing that may save him is the takeover that may be going on in the background. 

I’d be amazed if he didn’t. The club are balls deep In him and we’ve not got the cash to pay him off, the only manager we’ll get is one who is unemployed. Aside from that we aren’t failing to win games because the players have downed tools, we’re failing due to individual errors and stupidity. We all knew when the 10 minute went up we’d conceded, Leicester was mistakes so was Norwich. They’d be shite and make those mistakes whoever was manager

• Like 1

Ralph doing McCarthy's legs in public, may show that Ralph has now had enough of McCarthy's errors. This stuff is normally kept in house, putting the rights and wrongs of this incident to one side, this is only aired in public if the relationship is strained. Interesting to see how the other players react.

Edited by Fan The Flames
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

Ralph doing McCarthy's legs in public, may show that Ralph has now had enough of McCarthy's errors. This stuff is normally kept in house, putting the rights and wrongs of this incident to one side, this is only aired in public if the relationship is strained. Interesting to see how the other players react.

It's interesting, as we've seen many a time with Ralph and players...when he has a problem with you, that's pretty much game over and you're out of the squad. Maybe you're right and he has now had enough of him. I wouldn't put the blame all on McCarthy though, there's plenty of other people around to relay that message - including the on field captain who was as meek as we all come to expect.

We'll probably get an experienced goalie for a month, then go all out for Johnstone in January at which point we'll probably never see McCarthy again. (maybe sub at most once Forster leaves)

Edited by S-Clarke

17 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Maybe it happened seconds before the goal?

it happened when he made the save stopping Maupay scoring. Not quite sure how close to the end that was. 

He didn't take a goal kick or hit long not long after -  so it was obvious he had an issue. Whether management asked hi if he was OK or not I don't know. If they didn't its on them, if they did then its on McCarthy.

2 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

Maybe.   Either way I lost some respect for Ralph deciding to throw McCarthy under the bus.  It wasn't very professional of his Captain to play that bizarre pass which resulted in the free kick and equaliser but I don't hear any criticism from the Manager - and nor should I.   Ralph should address his concerns with the players and during team meetings, not hang them out to dry.    It just sounded like scapegoating.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Unless RH goes, Alex has played his last first team game at SFC. Very rare a player cops direct blame in public like that from this generation of managers. So I’m guessing Heaton as interim emergency and Johnston in January. 

Heaton. It's a while since I heard his name. Isn't he 35+? Doesn't feel like our kind of signing. Interesting shout though.

Just now, austsaint said:

Maybe.   Either way I lost some respect for Ralph deciding to throw McCarthy under the bus.  It wasn't very professional of his Captain to play that bizarre pass which resulted in the free kick and equaliser but I don't hear any criticism from the Manager - and nor should I.   Ralph should address his concerns with the players and during team meetings, not hang them out to dry.    It just sounded like scapegoating.

good point. The one thing you could say is that perhaps he was just so annoyed to miss out on the win that he lost his head. The interviews come so soon after the final whistle, he maybe hadn't composed himself. Not good though.

5 minutes ago, austsaint said:

Yeah that wasn't great from Ralph, I don't like to hear that. 

He's a very emotional manager, that's one of his markers, but he needs to keep it in check sometimes.

51 minutes ago, austsaint said:

But he's probably addressed issues privately during ream meetings. That's my point, the fact it has now gone public means they are beyond that. Where as he is far away from that point with JWP. This is not normally a good place for the player. Of course its all spectaculation, but what we do know is that McCarthy isn't good enough.

I see Tuchel has dug Mendy out as well.

Edited by Fan The Flames
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

It's interesting, as we've seen many a time with Ralph and players...when he has a problem with you, that's pretty much game over and you're out of the squad. Maybe you're right and he has now had enough of him. I wouldn't put the blame all on McCarthy though, there's plenty of other people around to relay that message - including the on field captain who was as meek as we all come to expect.

We'll probably get an experienced goalie for a month, then go all out for Johnstone in January at which point we'll probably never see McCarthy again. (maybe sub at most once Forster leaves)

Think the Johnstone ship has sailed as other teams are interested. Ralph is passing the buck to some extent. He is responsible for the players and, if not one of them including the captain thought to inform him that our keeper had suffered a bad injury that is down to Ralph I'm afraid. The players should be drilled until it is second nature. At this level you cannot make such catastrophic errors. Then we compound it by deciding it's a great idea to put one of our smallest players on the line for a free kick to help out our stricken keeper. How JWP was meant to do anything should the free kick have cleared the wall is anybody's guess - maybe he was expected to pull out a stepladder. You really couldn't make this stuff up.

1 hour ago, austsaint said:

I lost some respect for Mccarthy for refusing to step aside once he couldn't even do the basics of his job due to injury.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chocolate Box said:

JWP was clearly aware of the problem, that's why he dropped back to cover the post. As captain he should have taken responsibility, that's his job on the pitch.

As was KWP. He checked but McCarthy sent him away just before JWP decided that he ought to blockade the goal line too.

44 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I lost some respect for Mccarthy for refusing to step aside once he couldn't even do the basics of his job due to injury.

Has he been injured since we signed him?

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

By standing up as captain and ordering Mccarthy to go down and get assessed also wasting time

FFS I know people want to dig JWP out but this is ridiculous, have you ever seen another captain make that call on an injured player. This is squarely on McCarthy and the bench.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

FFS I know people want to dig JWP out but this is ridiculous, have you ever seen another captain make that call on an injured player. This is squarely on McCarthy and the bench.

Pretty sure Roy Keane and others would have. I’m not blaming JWP btw, I think Alex should have signalled himself and Ralph should have asked his players why others were taking goal kicks. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Pretty sure Roy Keane and others would have. I’m not blaming JWP btw, I think Alex should have signalled himself and Ralph should have asked his players why others were taking goal kicks

With the latest law changes it is quite common for the goalkeeper to play the ball short to a defender within the penalty area who then plays the ball further. It is then not so obvious that the keeper is carrying an injury. I must admit that I had not noticed anything unusual about McCarthy not kicking the ball downfield.

There’s an analysis of the Law change here and an explanation of the implications for teams that operate a high press.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/news-the-new-goal-kick-rule-change-a-primer

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

By standing up as captain and ordering Mccarthy to go down and get assessed also wasting time

Yep. Or gone down himself to have the opportunity to get the message over. Anything but play the other team onside.