Saints 1 v Palace 1 Match Reaction

Crab Lungs

Valery was hardly hauled off. It’s was clearly an attacking move by Ralph because we were losing.

Disagree. He was being ripped to shreds by Zaha (understandably). Yes, it was a an attacking move but the two things aren’t mutually exclusive.

Disagree. He was being ripped to shreds by Zaha (understandably). Yes, it was a an attacking move but the two things aren’t mutually exclusive.
no he wasn't he did pretty well the issue was him going forwards and delivered very little. Defensively did fine

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Think it would all be easier if people realised the objective is to just stay up and then re build in summer, as Ralph has stated so many times, but seems to go over most fans heads and not be relevant information.

This current squad is capable of finishing somewhere between 16th and 13th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree.

The only worry is - we'll probably still have to sell to buy, so we need players out on loan - Boufal, Carillo, Hoedt, Cedric - to do well and get snapped up come the summer.

And my son told me that Hoedt got sent off on his debut :(

Hodgson tactically schooled us. Made it impossible for us to attack through the middle and feed Redmond and Ings. Very happy to let Valery and Targett have the ball and they are our two weak links.

The sooner Bertrand is back in the team the better.

Overall good result as we were so poor, but hope RH has learned from that as the other teams at the botrom will setup similarly at St Mary's - we need to be better at creating against these kind of teams.

Nobody was good, but JWP less poor than others second half and kept a cool head for the goal.

Palace played 11 in their own half for the whole second half. Our game has been based on winning the ball, going forward quickly and exploiting space. When there’s no space and the other team are here for the counter attack then that’s a challenge. It’s something we’ll have to learn to manage and something that reinforcements with actual pace will help with.

Not the worst performance we’ve seen but did highlight a weakness we have with a limited squad.

Point is better than none and keeps us moving the right direction.

Palace are a decent side, they won at City beat Spurs and were unlucky at Liverpool so getting adraw is a decent result for us

Agree. And Palace are exactly the type of side that can expose the limitations of RH's system/squad.

Edited by shurlock

Valery did ok defensiveness but is shocking going forward. Targett is so slow and not really good enough.

Take a point as it was a poor game and we’d have lost under Hughes.

+1 how I saw it Targett pass for goal only positive thing he did.

To play this formation at home the wingbacks need to be better than tonight going forward.

Mind you Palace right back Bissaka? was superb

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Edited by Give it to Ron

Palace were playing a regimented defensive spoiling game, and hoping to catch us on the break.

That made it scrappy, their goal came from about 4 or 5 defensive mistakes in a row, ours from one of the few times we actually managed to put a nice move together to unlock their defence.

Ref had a game of two halves, gave us absolutely nothing the first half and was maybe evening it up the second?

Looked like Zaha could well have been sent off the first half just for diving.

Anyway, game of few chances and could have gone either way, on to the next one.

Valery was hardly hauled off. It’s was clearly an attacking move by Ralph because we were losing.

I thought Valery was one of our best players before his sub , wasn't sure why Armstrong seemed to go to Lwb and targett go further forward!? Think palace got their game plan right , Sit back and draw us onto them and then try to hit us on the break but then push up onto us when we were trying to play it out from the back .

From the Palace forum:

*taylors lovechild*[https://i]*People's Republic of Gozo*Today 9.42pm[https://i]*[https://i]

Saints were sh*t and got that result thanks to kicking the sh*t out of our players. Wilf got the crap kicked out of him as usual and the referee did f*ck all. He has a hot head and that's that, he isn't going to change. He wants to play football whereas the opponents just want to kick him. A shame we didn't push on in the second half as we looked twice the team that Saints are. Saints very, very lucky to have 11 men on the pitch and I hope they get relegated (I grew up in Portsmouth, so there is added venom in that!)

[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Out on a limb but I thought the first half was good football. Both sides playing it around well but both defending well too. Up until their gold was optimistic.

Then we went back three months into unimpressive mode and I didn't expect the equaliser. But credit to JWP for being there and finishing well.

Then we could have won, but they were very dangerous still on the break and we stopped them well. Reasonably happy with a point. I don't think it's just a question of us not playing well: they stopped us very effectively.

Not McCarthy's best game, but wouldn't criticise him unduly for the goal.

Targett was ok. CBs very strong, as they had to be. I thought Valery had a great game. Tough ask and he was up to it.

Hojbjerg and Romeu had their work cut out but weren't overrun. JWP may have struggled to find the killer forward pass - that's why Armstrong came on - but he had a solid game in two positions, and scored.

Redmond had moments, but didn't quite click. Was it his assist fir the goal? Ings was ok, but few chances.

Move on.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

From the Palace forum:

*taylors lovechild*[https://i]*People's Republic of Gozo*Today 9.42pm[https://i]*[https://i]

Saints were sh*t and got that result thanks to kicking the sh*t out of our players. Wilf got the crap kicked out of him as usual and the referee did f*ck all. He has a hot head and that's that, he isn't going to change. He wants to play football whereas the opponents just want to kick him. A shame we didn't push on in the second half as we looked twice the team that Saints are. Saints very, very lucky to have 11 men on the pitch and I hope they get relegated (I grew up in Portsmouth, so there is added venom in that!)

[emoji23]

Utterly bizarre ********.

Targett was not ok. Neither was Stephens.

Depressingly poor and we lucked out with a point tonight.

Take it when it comes, had our fair share of bad luck over the last couple of seasons.

I thought Ralph got that one wrong tactically for most of the game. The 352 was too defensive and Ings and Redmond weren't getting any service. I would have preferred 3421 with Armstrong in there. Most of our best play this season has come when Armstrong and Redmond have been on the ball.

Didn't have a great view of their goal but it looked very saveable to me.

Valery did pretty well. Targett had a bit of a mare but did well for our goal. Hopefully Bertrand is back soon.

Bednarek made yet another incredible clearance stopping a certain goal. Probably our best player.

Hojbjerg, Romeu and JWP were too flat and too strung out across the pitch. My tactical gripe.

I'd like to see us a bit more positive in the next couple of matches and hopefully we can add someone tomorrow as we are very thin at the moment.

Tonight was a wake up for some who seem to think it will just be simply up n up with RH.

Squad looks weak to me and hope we react sensibly tomorrow. Still need 1-2

Ooh a wake up call. I’ll get on the phone to my bank to see if I have enough to buy a player that will improve the team and not just for the sake of it.

Targett was not ok. Neither was Stephens.

Depressingly poor and we lucked out with a point tonight.

Can't agree totally. Targett was ok and Stephens didn't do much wrong.

We certainly were not depressingly poor. Against a well-organised defence we struggled to make chances - like Man City last night, but I don't expect you thought they were depressingly poor?

Out on a limb but I thought the first half was good football. Both sides playing it around well but both defending well too. Up until their gold was optimistic.

Then we went back three months into unimpressive mode and I didn't expect the equaliser. But credit to JWP for being there and finishing well.

Then we could have won, but they were very dangerous still on the break and we stopped them well. Reasonably happy with a point. I don't think it's just a question of us not playing well: they stopped us very effectively.

Not McCarthy's best game, but wouldn't criticise him unduly for the goal.

Targett was ok. CBs very strong, as they had to be. I thought Valery had a great game. Tough ask and he was up to it.

Hojbjerg and Romeu had their work cut out but weren't overrun. JWP may have struggled to find the killer forward pass - that's why Armstrong came on - but he had a solid game in two positions, and scored.

Redmond had moments, but didn't quite click. Was it his assist fir the goal? Ings was ok, but few chances.

Move on.

Targett with the assist. Great vision by both Targett to make the pass and JWP to bust a gut to sprint and get open for the easy finish.

Thought McC should have done better with the Zahn goal. Ings had a similar chance and Palace keeper saved it easily.

well he had 87% pass completion? so are you sure?

looked so comfortable with his touch, bringing ball out from the back and passing. to me quite pacy when he ventures also

The passes that he completed were the five yard ones to his left or to his right. Whenever he tried to play it any further he passed it to the opposition.

Can't agree totally. Targett was ok and Stephens didn't do much wrong.

We certainly were not depressingly poor. Against a well-organised defence we struggled to make chances - like Man City last night, but I don't expect you thought they were depressingly poor?

Im with Whelk. I thought both were poor too. Stephens distribution was dreadful. I expect pretty much the whole defence to be cleared out in the summer with the exception of Bednarek and the kids. Definitely a point gained tonight.

Ralph not happy with our fans patience. On Solent saying we need to get used to the players looking for a gap.

Some of our fans were muppets tonight. People booed at half time FFS. Clearly it wasn't great but it's not like we were going in 3-0 down and out of the game.

Palace were very organised and hard to break down but we kept plugging away and finally for once got in behind them and managed to score.

Thought Armstrong did well when he came on because by then there was very little room for our players to play in, so deep were Palace sitting. He was very positive and suddenly they were worried about conceding.

The goal was very well worked. Nice finish too. Zaha then made us all laugh with his unnecessary petulance. Walking halfway across the pitch before turning around to clap the ref again may get him an extra game ban, and we know how they struggle without him.

Very happy with the point after being behind until the last 15 minutes. We'll obviously get enough points to stay up which is the main objective. If we get in a few players that Ralph wants in the summer we'll be in a much stronger position in 12 months.

Im with Whelk. I thought both were poor too. Stephens distribution was dreadful. I expect pretty much the whole defence to be cleared out in the summer with the exception of Bednarek and the kids. Definitely a point gained tonight.
I respect your view, but the idea that we're clearing out the defence is ludicrous

Right oh, trundled out of Soton and now back in with drink in hand. One question....why did no one pass the ball out to JWP when he was out on the right?

Our plan was to overload down the left, pulling all the defenders across to that side of the pitch, hoping they would forget he was there and then he could run into their area completely unnoticed, due to blending in with the crowd, to score our equaliser.

Funny how we all see the same game differently. I thought Valery was good, Romeu was our best player and JWP was ok.

Stephens was shocking, Hojbjerg strangely off form, Redmond and Ings marked out of it by Palace.

Yep, a few on here saying Target was poor, Sky made him motm. Opinions.

I thought Palace did a good job of taking away the shunt space, where our back three tap it off to Romeu or PEH and leave them to move it forward. Palace sat back and forced Stephens, Bednarek and Vestergaard to pass between themselves while they shut off the pass options. If they didn't pass it early the opportunity disappeared. That often left them with the only option of hitting it long or trying to carry it forward. But let's not forget that when they tried to take it forward in the first half they committed some scary giveaways. We could easily have been three down at half time.

The key, for me, is that neither Valery nor Targett is good enough (at least yet) to provide a solid flank option. That side with Bertrand and even Cedric in it would have looked much better tonight.

We need another right wing back in a big way, and we need Bertrand back. I think Valery is going to be decent one day but he needs to develop his confidence without the heavy pressure he's facing in that team at the moment.

I respect your view, but the idea that we're clearing out the defence is ludicrous

Why ludicrous? Targett, Yoshida, Stephens, Vestergaard are all incredibly average. If we genuinely want to progess they need replacing.