Ings - What’s he Worth?

Dan Johnson

Interesting hypothetical conversation with mates and be interested to hear a wider opinion.

How much is Ings worth in the current market? 

21 premier league goals, 28 years old (next week) 

does his previous injury record impact his value? Is there a price we’d consider selling when you weigh up that injury record and the prospect of future injuries?

personally feel there’s also only a small number of suitors from the top six wish reduces the risk of losing him.

I think City/Liverpool would want a higher profile name. Utd already have enough strikers. Chelsea already signed Werner.

i could only see Tottenham/Arsenal being suitably interested and only if they sold Kane/aubameyang.

with him being a saints fan and with our current form would Leicester/Everton/Newcastle be a big enough step up?

id place him at a realistic price of £55m and at that price there’s no way I’d sell.

Edited by Dan Johnson
Spelling

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Without his goals, as of today, we'd be sat on 32 points.

Says it all really.

Doesn't really work, because we wouldn't have played with 10 men in all those games if Ings hadn't been playing. Ok Long, Adams & Obafemi are very unlikely to have scored as many as him but they'd still have scored some in that extra gametime they'd have had. 😉

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

Doesn't really work, because we wouldn't have played with 10 men in all those games if Ings hadn't been playing. Ok Long, Adams & Obafemi are very unlikely to have scored as many as him but they'd still have scored some in that extra gametime they'd have had. 😉

Take his goals out of those games, likelihood of anyone else scoring is low. So, yes, we'd be almost relegated without his goals.

1 minute ago, djharvey said:

He's worth far more to us than we would get in any sale (which would prob be no more than 50 million).

This. I get why people are going for figures north of £75m but I think his historic injury record would still put doubt in the minds of potential suitors and thus subdue his valuation somewhat. 

Just now, trousers said:

This. I get why people are going for figures north of £75m but I think his historic injury record would still put doubt in the minds of potential suitors and thus subdue his valuation somewhat. 

If they've got doubts and won't pay the upwards of £75m, then they're welcome to go and shop elsewhere!

• Like 1

Just now, S-Clarke said:

If they've got doubts and won't pay the upwards of £75m, then they're welcome to go and shop elsewhere!

Indeed. I think that's my point... After all, someone is only worth what someone is prepared to pay.

Well I’ll join in with the hypothetical game and say that based on this season, £55m.

If he replicates this form again next season, then I’d say £85m.

Although this hasn’t taken coronavirus into account, and I think his injury record might consider others to look elsewhere.

How much would Harry Kane be worth right now? I think if someone offered Spurs £105m they would take it?

Before MLG comes in and gives different examples/transfer fees to suit his agenda, this is all speculative

Edited by nta786

1 hour ago, simo said:

How much would relegation cost us? , that's how much he was worth this season !

Exactly this.

imagine selling him for 60m, what team will let us have a top striker without bumping the price up?

Honestly Ings will put the fear of god into teams next season and with another firing striker we could have a good season.

3 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

If Sebastien Haller is worth £45m then Ings is worth a billion easily. Okay, maybe not but at least £75m for a proven English goalscorer.

Don't forget Joelinton was £40 million as well. 

Ok both younger, but it shows what PL clubs were paying for goalscorers outside the PL, one proven in the league who also offers so much work for the team as well, and is English, you'd have to say in the £65-75 million bracket.

2 hours ago, nta786 said:

I think if someone offered Spurs £105m they would take it?

I doubt it. 

Kane is like a once in a generation talent for a club like Spurs, I mean Spurs have had a shit season, he's had a stop start season with injuries, he's now in a negative Mourinho team and he's still scored 17 goals in the league and 23 overall.  He's just that good, his finishes today were world class and he can do that with both feet, and he played an absurd reverse pass to Son in the second half that if Son had scored from it people would be calling it assist of the season and would be purring over it if someone like De Bruyne had done it. I swear as well now he has got fit again he's gained a yard of pace all of sudden. He's the complete striker, he scores headers, long shots, finishes with both feet, can hold up the ball, run in behind, and drop deep and play as like a no 10.

Plus he's 26. 

They'd probably be like a mid table team without him as it's very hard to just go out and find a 1 in 2 striker but he's done it like for the last 5 years. 

They'd be silly to sell him for anything less than silly money. 

I said £80million and a few mates laughed and said we'd never get that much. I said well he isn't leaving then is he. 

Also saw this;

League goals excluding penalties this season:

Danny Ings - 21
Romelu Lukaku - 20
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang - 19
Jamie Vardy - 19
Lionel Messi - 18
Ciro Immobile - 18
Kylian Mbappe - 18
Wissam Ben Yedder - 18
Cristiano Ronaldo - 17
Mohamed Salah - 16

13 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I said £80million and a few mates laughed and said we'd never get that much. I said well he isn't leaving then is he. 

Also saw this;

League goals excluding penalties this season:

Danny Ings - 21
Romelu Lukaku - 20
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang - 19
Jamie Vardy - 19
Lionel Messi - 18
Ciro Immobile - 18
Kylian Mbappe - 18
Wissam Ben Yedder - 18
Cristiano Ronaldo - 17
Mohamed Salah - 16

Judging on today's penalty, that table would be the same if he was our normal penalty taker!

27 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Absolutely. I think Ings in that position where he's worth far more than any sensible club would pay for him.

We'd want £60m levels of stupid money, no club with any sense would pay that and then be lumbered with the kind of wages and contract you'd have to give to a player that expensive.

Meaning the only clubs that would buy him would have far more money than sense = as I've said before, for example a Newcastle United drunk with Saudi billions.

Hopefully today's abomination of a penalty has put them all off now anyway.

7 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Absolutely. I think Ings in that position where he's worth far more than any sensible club would pay for him.

We'd want £60m levels of stupid money, no club with any sense would pay that and then be lumbered with the kind of wages and contract you'd have to give to a player that expensive.

Meaning the only clubs that would buy him would have far more money than sense = as I've said before, for example a Newcastle United drunk with Saudi billions.

Hopefully today's abomination of a penalty has put them all off now anyway.

Though you’re forgetting the fact that whatever another club offers, if the player gets turned, we have a problem. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

Though you’re forgetting the fact that whatever another club offers, if the player gets turned, we have a problem. 

Yes, maybe. It could be a failure of imagination on my part but I am not seeing any of the clubs that would genuinely turn his head - Arse, Man U, Citeh, Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea - being interested considering the likely fee.

Ings actively agitating for a move to Newcastle, Leicester or Everton i would hope is not a likely scenario. 

That said, if we aren't putting down a contract extension and pay rise this summer, we are playing with fire.

I can't see us keeping hold of him if he replicates this form next season but that's a huge huge if!!! Hopefully he's happy here I can't see it going so well at another "bigger" club here he has the chance to shine and be that star player he knows he will always be first on the team sheet if fit, but then money talks 

So many different and contestable factors to consider: age, injury record, contract remaining, whether he wants to stay or go, impact of the pandemic on finances of possible buyers, how desperate Saints are for cash, presence of other goal scoring strikers in the squad who could go some way to filling his boots (eg. if Adams & Obafemi had both scored 8-10 goals, you might be a little more relaxed about selling).

I’d say most of these factors tend towards a very high asking price. £70m+ plus. I’m hopeful he’ll stay as I don’t think the teams who might want to buy him can afford the sort of price we’d accept. 

If he has another stellar season, it might be harder to keep him - especially if we are mid-table again rather than, say, top 6 or 7 and qualifying for Europa.

Edited by SaintBobby

Just now, Saint Garrett said:

If it was any other club it'd be north of £80m, but we have history of under selling our assets. I'd like to think the player is happy with where he is too given he's already been to Liverpool, and we get him tied down to a longer contract.

What history do we have of underselling our assets?

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

What history do we have of underselling our assets?

Mane and VVD for starters.  Tadic, Pelle and Wanyama too.  Mane was massively undersold given how good he was, and where the market was that summer.

Probably not worth getting into on this thread though.

Edited by Saint Garrett

7 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Mane and VVD for starters.  Tadic, Pelle and Wanyama too.  Mane was massively undersold given how good he was, and where the market was that summer.

We undersold Virgil Van Dijk. Jesus wept.

20 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Best centre back in the world with pretty much every top team wanting him. 

I'd say yes slightly. What would he go for now? £200m?

His value now would be ever so slightly influenced by his performance at the highest level. Like, you know, winning the Champions League and the League title.

4 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

His value now would be ever so slightly influenced by his performance at the highest level. Like, you know, winning the Champions League and the League title.

I'm not saying we should have sold him for £200M, I'm saying that's what he is probabaly worth now. Harry Maguire went for £80m and he's terrible.

37 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Mané had 2 years left on his contract, wasn’t going to sign a new one and was only really that great for the last 2 months of his time here.

Virgil was the most expensive defender in history so I don’t know what you’re on about there

Tadic wanted to go to Ajax and that’s all they were able to afford. He would have underperformed had he stayed and needed a fresh start.

Pelle was over 30 and we got a pretty decent price considered he wasn’t even a guaranteed starter here.

Wanyama only had a year left in his contract and held all the aces when it came to his transfer.

27 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Best centre back in the world with pretty much every top team wanting him. 

I'd say yes slightly. What would he go for now? £200m?

Smaller clubs are capped as to the maximum they can get for their best players. 

Off topic but we received a world record fee for a centre back at the time- I think the fee was fair.
His value has only gone up to that £200m (or £150m+) because hes won the Premier League, Champions League etc and proven himself at the highest level. 

25 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I'm not saying we should have sold him for £200M, I'm saying that's what he is probabaly worth now. Harry Maguire went for £80m and he's terrible.

Harry Maguire was 18 months later, English etc etc. I imagine whatever amount we got for Van Dijk you'd be moaning. Just a hunch.