Other Games - 2020/2021

jamesfp1

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Fulham's unstoppable surge to the Champions League has been halted I see.

Dreadful result for them given that their next 3 are Spurs, Liverpool and Man City.

One could assume they’re two points ahead of us in the league and their remaining games are

Home - Spurs, Man City, Leeds, Wolves

Away - Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Villa

3 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Interesting to watch the Villa v Leeds & Newcastle v Wolves games last night, all between teams that have beaten us comfortably recently. Two good games to watch and all four sides playing fast open football. Once again we saw how modern defences are so well organised as to give little away and how much harder it is for all teams to score. So much of the play was in the middle third of the pitch.

What was highlighted was how poor our defensive tactics are and how our gung-ho pressing style leaves the back line hopelessly exposed and over stretched. We need to watch these teams playing defensively and learn from them even if it means we are less gung-ho in our pressing. We are not scoring anyway but at least we might pick up a few points rather than lose out every time.

Even Matt Targett looked competent at times although I didn't like the cynical (dirty, cheating) play that has crept into his game. I was surprised Bamford didn't floor him last night, must have been sorely tempted.

I do realise you are just an anti-Saints wum, but I'll bite anyway:

The only one of those who 'beat us comfortably' was Leeds, and that was only due a very poor 2nd half. We more than matched them in the first 45, and would have 1-0 up but for yet another shit bit of refereeing)

Villa - should have been a draw at least and would have been if not for dodgy ref/var decisions (penalty claim; Ings arm-band being offside)

Wolves - again, a draw would have been a fair result - which it would have been had both handballs, or either, been given (again, dodgy ref)

Newcastle - we battered them for most of the game and only lost due to a howler by McCarthy and a very unfortunate OG by Bednarek

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Minsk said:

The only one of those who 'beat us comfortably' was Leeds, and that was only due a very poor 2nd half. We more than matched them in the first 45, and would have 1-0 up but for yet another shit bit of refereeing)

Villa - should have been a draw at least and would have been if not for dodgy ref/var decisions (penalty claim; Ings arm-band being offside)

Wolves - again, a draw would have been a fair result - which it would have been had both handballs, or either, been given (again, dodgy ref)

Newcastle - we battered them for most of the game and only lost due to a howler by McCarthy and a very unfortunate OG by Bednare

Well said, some idiots just want to rewrite history

Edited by Chapel End
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chapel End said:
4 minutes ago, Minsk said:

Newcastle - we battered them for most of the game and only lost due to a howler by McCarthy and a very unfortunate OG by Bednarek

Battered them by not having a shot while they had nine men, granted we made mistakes but Ralph got the tactics and subs wrong similar to other games this season 

8 minutes ago, Minsk said:

What a load of crap.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Minsk said:

I disagree with this one- we didn’t quite batter them- we were quite toothless when they went to 9 men.

Also I think Shelvey had a glorious chance to make it 4-1, I think we got what we deserved that game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

How in the blue frig is that NOT a penalty but Bertrand’s against Wolves is?!

Exactly. If ever there was a case of hand to ball and not hit at speed from close distance.

Edited by M271

4 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Luke Shaw claiming that the handball was advised as a penalty by VAR, and that the Ref told Maguire that people would be talking about it after the game if he gave it...

Bloody hell refereeing is **** here at the moment.

Two things here, VAR advised to give that as a penalty but in our Wolves game in a very similar incident The VAR said it wasn’t big enough an error to pull it back. Total inconsistency 

now the ref didn’t give It because people would talk about it? Joke

4 hours ago, Minsk said:

It wasn't the main point of my post. You should have read it all before making a facetious comment.

I get that you think we only lose because of bad luck or lousy refereeing. By all means carry on deluding yourself if it makes you feel happier.

32 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Luke Shaw claiming that the handball was advised as a penalty by VAR, and that the Ref told Maguire that people would be talking about it after the game if he gave it...

Bloody hell refereeing is **** here at the moment.

Shaw is talking pony. The var doesn’t advise whether it’s a pen or not, just advise the ref to look at it. The ultimate decision is with the ref and fair play to him, he stuck to his guns. Do you really believe the ref told Maguire that, because I don’t. 

21 minutes ago, DT said:

Could we please buy Aaron Ramsdale when Sheffield Utd go down please?

Our weak mentality and having a team of 'losers' as some have said on here wont be helped by a keeper who has suffered back to back relegations. Has bright moments like most keepers, but is still bang average

Ramsdale is young and has some good attributes but would probably be best in the Championship at the moment which is obviously where he will be next season. 

Pope is the keeper that everyone will be going for at the end season so that rules us out. Sam Johnston is probably the best bet if we're looking at other crap Premier League teams. 

34 minutes ago, DT said:

Could we please buy Aaron Ramsdale when Sheffield Utd go down please?

Why? He's had a truly dreadful season. A very poor goal keeper. Worse than our average ones.

One 'decent' game, of which he's still conceded twice, doesn't change my view on him. He's dross.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Has anyone ever seen a worse centre forward in recent years than 'Ole McBurnie' ?

He cost them £20m! He can't shoot, control, pass, score, hold it up. He's looked equally shocking for Scotland. Bizarre player.

Expect a hat trick on Saturday now.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Expect a hat trick on Saturday now.

Was going to say the same 🤦🏽‍♂️ or a Billy Sharp winner.

If we lose to Sheff Utd next week then I will definitely begin to worry.

They are completely devoid of confidence, struggle to score goals, have an injury crisis at the back with the likes of Egan, O'Connell and Basham all injured. They have Jagielka playing for god sake. Sander Berge is a loss for them too. They also play Wednesday night and then again against us on Saturday. We will have a few days extra rest/preparation.

In fact let me change that. If we dont win against Sheff Utd then I will begin to worry for us.

Ramsdale has been pretty average I think and the fact he is facing so many shots every game means he’ll make the odd decent save or so.

Reminds be a little but similar to David Marshall for Cardiff around 7 years ago.

Sheffield Utd spent around £40m on Brewster and Ramsdale combined- what a waste of money 

14 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

It wasn't the main point of my post. You should have read it all before making a facetious comment.

I get that you think we only lose because of bad luck or lousy refereeing. By all means carry on deluding yourself if it makes you feel happier.

If you want people to read all of your posts don't open them factually incorrect statements. As I stated, we were not 'comfortably beaten' by those 4 teams. Moreover, if you practised what you preach and read my post you would have seen that I admitted we lost 2 of those matches through our ineptness - Leeds because we were shit in the 2nd half; Newcastle due to severe defensive cock-ups.

We have also certainly lost many other games due to defensive frailties. We may well do so tonight. It certainly doesn't help when our our only RB, who is instrumental to how we play overall not just defensively, has been out injured for so many matches.

So no, I don't think we only lose due to bad luck or lousy refereeing - but those two things have certainly played a big part recently; not least in the Villa and Wolves matches.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

Given the choice of the 2 I'm with you - Ramsdale just seems a bit "err I'd better dive in that general direction in the hope i get lucky".

Bow to your wisdom. I just thought he looked very good yesterday, and didn't do those 'invisible' dives McC is getting quite good at

2 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Down to 10, Jagielka off. He’s about 48 but they’re struggling for bodies back there, so good news if he’s missing sat 

Think they may appeal. Looked harsh - all about whether there was a covering player