Other Games - 2020/2021

jamesfp1

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

Having rewound the video, he definitely blew the whistle a second time a fraction of a second before it crossed the line. They should disallow this.

Correct decision from VAR, however, bizarre for Mason to blow his whistle for the second time. Absolute mess.

Just now, jawillwill said:

That's the biggest VAR mess to date. Beyond being embarrassingly bad by the refs...

The mess was purely down to Mason, he should never have given the goal. All VAR did was stop a goal from being given after he blew for a second time, which would have been an absolute farce.

10 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

The mess was purely down to Mason, he should never have given the goal. All VAR did was stop a goal from being given after he blew for a second time, which would have been an absolute farce.

No, he should never have blown his whistle if he wasn’t ready for the free kick to be taken, and then when he did, he should have allowed the goal (I.e not blown again). The bloke is the definition of incompetent. 

Add Brighton to the list of us and Wolves who don’t want him to ref us again. 

• Like 2

Now you can see why football has slipped massively down the pecking order for me as a sport - mix of Gao, Les Reed, Kat’s greed and these bungling buffoons on the whistles. 

The referees said that if we professionalised them things would gat better but they have got worse. No more Mason, Dean or Wiley, beg Durkin and Webb out of retirement to run PGMOL and VAR, and embark on a huge recruitment drive to convert retiring lower league players with the right temperaments skills and understanding of the game into refs.

Look at how rugby and cricket have professionalised their refereeing and how it is respected worldwide. 

16 minutes ago, SKD said:

No, he should never have blown his whistle if he wasn’t ready for the free kick to be taken, and then when he did, he should have allowed the goal (I.e not blown again). The bloke is the definition of incompetent. 

This, absolutely. There may have been doubt over the timing of ours last week, but this was clear. He blew the whistle before the ball was kicked. The idea that he could unblow it by blowing again is ridiculous.

Having seen Dortmund’s last 2 goals, Haaland must be top of every big team’s shopping list.

Haven’t seen a massive amount of him but has a ridiculous goal scoring record and from what Dortmund’s latest goals have shown me:

1- Doesn’t take pens

2- If another player is in a better position will pass and not go for his own glory

Could come close to Messi/Ronaldo figures without being selfish and the numbers being boosted by pens!

43 minutes ago, SKD said:

Add Brighton to the list of us and Wolves who don’t want him to ref us again. 

I’ve haven’t said anything otherwise but having blow the whistle a second time, he stopped play - before the goal crossed the line. That is what VAR correctly rectified, even in-spite of Mason’s poor refereeing. Therefore not a ‘VAR shambles’ of any sort.

Jeez, now the ‘taters don’t know why a free kick was given after the pen. Saying it may have been offside. 🙄

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ChrisPY said:

Having seen Dortmund’s last 2 goals, Haaland must be top of every big team’s shopping list.

Haven’t seen a massive amount of him but has a ridiculous goal scoring record and from what Dortmund’s latest goals have shown me:

1- Doesn’t take pens

2- If another player is in a better position will pass and not go for his own glory

Could come close to Messi/Ronaldo figures without being selfish and the numbers being boosted by pens!

He's insanely good. If Man City bought him the rest of the teams in the Premier League may as well not bother anymore because they'd win every game about 7-0. 

3 minutes ago, The Cat said:

He's insanely good. If Man City bought him the rest of the teams in the Premier League may as well not bother anymore because they'd win every game about 7-0. 

I actually want to see it. Just having the boot on the other foot and the big teams moaning about City outspending them.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, The Cat said:

It's a shame he chose to play for Norway over England. We may have had a chance of winning something if he had.

2 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

It's a shame he chose to play for Norway over England. We may have had a chance of winning something if he had.

Another decent looking player chose Germany over England last week...plays for Bayern..can't remember the name off the top of my head.

Watching the Newcastle game and some genuine burst of speed from Almiron, I just think why do all our players look so slow in comparison?

I remember Ralph saying his game really emphasises pace but I feel like all our players go backwards on that front? Do we need better coaching/fitness methods?

If we got someone like Almiron they’d get slower over time. Perhaps I’m only bringing this up because we are on such a poor run, and yes I am totally aware that speed doesn’t necessarily translate into a good footballer, but it sure does bloody help. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

Wolves equalised against Newcastle.  1-1.

Wolves defender just made a fairly amazing off-the-line clearance to keep it level.

That was a pretty fair result in the end, the action at the end of that game (last 5 mins) didn't paint a fair reflection of the game. Wolves could have nicked it tbf, but prob wouldn't have been fair.

Newcastle lost Saint-Maximan and Almiron to what look like notably-long injuries as well. Just in time for what is their most crucial run of the season...

Edited by S-Clarke

Interesting to watch the Villa v Leeds & Newcastle v Wolves games last night, all between teams that have beaten us comfortably recently. Two good games to watch and all four sides playing fast open football. Once again we saw how modern defences are so well organised as to give little away and how much harder it is for all teams to score. So much of the play was in the middle third of the pitch.

What was highlighted was how poor our defensive tactics are and how our gung-ho pressing style leaves the back line hopelessly exposed and over stretched. We need to watch these teams playing defensively and learn from them even if it means we are less gung-ho in our pressing. We are not scoring anyway but at least we might pick up a few points rather than lose out every time.

Even Matt Targett looked competent at times although I didn't like the cynical (dirty, cheating) play that has crept into his game. I was surprised Bamford didn't floor him last night, must have been sorely tempted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Really, did we let him go?

Chelsea snared him, as they were doing with all young players at that time. Stockpiling.

The attacking midfielder spent four months with Southampton before being spotted by Chelsea – just one year after arriving in the country – and signed to a scholarship. His progress was swift, and Musiala made his league debut for Chelsea's U18 team aged just 15 years, two months and 13 days.

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Chelsea snared him, as they were doing with all young players at that time. Stockpiling.

The attacking midfielder spent four months with Southampton before being spotted by Chelsea – just one year after arriving in the country – and signed to a scholarship. His progress was swift, and Musiala made his league debut for Chelsea's U18 team aged just 15 years, two months and 13 days.

Thanks,That's a shame, also that we didnt get him to pen a contract