Other Games - 2020/2021

jamesfp1

17 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Currently Koeman 1-1 Pochettino in the battle of the exes ;) 

Both, only within the last 7 years too and to now be managing Barca and PSG.

Shows the sort of calibre we attracted and ambition we had back then, in comparison to present times.

Saw that as well Lord D, and Prutton got a 10 match ban for an equivalent offence of making intentional contact with an official, Di Canio’s was nine IIRC? Yet PGMOL still try to defend the indefensible. Been charged by FA but bet it’s 3 games suspension or something pathetic. 

Train up a generation of lower league pros without contracts after COVID and get them ready for fast track and keep the cream of the non ex pros eg Michael Oliver. Experienced ex senior refs without baggage in respect of certain teams eg Marriner when he finishes. Have no confidence whatsoever in PGMOL after recent experiences and ineptitude with Dean, Mason and Scott. They can take up a new profession - traffic wardens - after the pandemic. 

23 hours ago, trousers said:

< MLG Mode >

Wasn't Pochettino of a similar calibre to Hassenhuttl at the time we attracted him...?

I agree that’s probably correct.

I really like Hassenhuttl, I think he is doing a tremendous job - he certainly has not had the backing that Pochettino had the luxury of back in 2013/14 and could quite well imagine that Hassenhuttl would be equally as successful with us as Mauricio was, if the same sort of ambition was still in motion now.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, GDog07 said:

I agree that’s probably correct.

I really like Hassenhuttl, I think he is doing a tremendous job - he certainly has not had the backing that Pochettino had the luxury of back in 2013/14 and could quite well imagine that Hassenhuttl would be equally as successful with us as Mauricio was, if the same sort of ambition was still in motion now.

Depends on how you measure success. How “successful” was Pochetino? Early exists in both cups and 8th placed finished. Puel was more successful if that’s your measurement. Hassenhuttl has finished 11th and there is a good chance of a top 10 finish and at least an FA Cup semi final this season, after taking over a team that looked doomed 2 years ago. Koeman finished 6th so more successful. Hughes kept up an awful team and got us to a FA cup cup semi final, only 4 managers have done that in 80+ years. Does that make him more of a success than Pochetino? Adkins got back to back promotions and we were heading in the right direction when he was sacked, possibly he was more successful than Pochetino. Pardew won a trophy. There is a very strong case to say only Pellegrino has been less successful than Pochetino of all our managers since relegation to league one. 

Edited by Turkish

7 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Depends on how you measure success. How “successful” was Pochetino? Early exists in both cups and 8th placed finished. Puel was more successful if that’s your measurement. Hassenhuttl has finished 11th and there is a good chance of a top 10 finish and at least an FA Cup semi final, after taking over a team that looked doomed 2 years ago. Koeman finished 6th so more successful. Hughes kept up an awful team and got us to a FA cup cup semi final, only 4 managers have done that in 80+ years. There is a very strong case to say only Pellegrino has been less successful than Pochetino of our last 5 managers. 

That all sounds like good logic, but the in the context of this season Ralph’s record is starting to look somewhat tarnished. He’s presided over a couple of embarrassing adverse records including another 9-0 drubbing and an inability to break down and win against a team of 9 men. And this in a season where the ‘top’ clubs have seen mixed results and we’ve actually topped the table for a short while as a result. Yes, he’s had to contend with significant injuries, but then so have other clubs. I don’t think there are many better Managers for us out there (Eddie?) and don’t particularly want Ralph to go, but this season can hardly be classed as a success. Well, not unless somehow we manage to fluke our way to the FA Cup final and finish higher than 17 of course.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

That all sounds like good logic, but the in the context of this season Ralph’s record is starting to look somewhat tarnished. He’s presided over a couple of embarrassing adverse records including another 9-0 drubbing and an inability to break down and win against a team of 9 men. And this in a season where the ‘top’ clubs have seen mixed results and we’ve actually topped the table for a short while as a result. Yes, he’s had to contend with significant injuries, but then so have other clubs. I don’t think there are many better Managers for us out there (Eddie?) and don’t particularly want Ralph to go, but this season can hardly be classed as a success. Well, not unless somehow we manage to fluke our way to the FA Cup final and finish higher than 17 of course.

Which is why i said it depends on how you measure success. Everyone seems to hark back to the golden era of Pochetino, yet if you measure things on end result alone Puel was better, but most dont have a good word to say about him or his time here. I seem to remember under Pochetino we had a terrible run around christmas time where we had a lot of injuries, also lots of complaints then he had no plan b and couldn't break teams down that parked the bus, fans were fuming when we lost to Sunderland in the FA Cup after he played a weakened team, it wasn't all amazing.

Im really not sure how you can claim we will fluke our way to the FA Cup final, we've beaten two decent premier league sides and now got a tough away draw against a decent championship side, but with a great chance of a semi final, then who knows what could happen. The success of the season will be judged at the end of May. The way our form seems to roller coast we could end up with a trophy or equally likely for a record breaking cup final defeat. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Which is why i said it depends on how you measure success. Everyone seems to hark back to the golden era of Pochetino, yet if you measure things on end result alone Puel was better, but most dont have a good word to say about him or his time here. I seem to remember under Pochetino we had a terrible run around christmas time where we had a lot of injuries, also lots of complaints then he had no plan be and couldn't break teams down that parked the bus, fans were fuming when we lost to Sunderland in the FA Cup after he played a weakened team, it wasn't all amazing.

Im really not sure how you can claim we will fluke our way to the FA Cup final, we've beaten two decent premier league sides and now got a tough away draw against a decent championship side, but with a great chance of a semi final, then who knows what could happen. The success of the season will be judged at the end of May. The way our form seems to roller coast we could end up with a trophy or equally likely for a record breaking cup final defeat. 

Quite.

All these people who have decided that there is a chance we are going to get relegated and relentless winning machine Fulham are going to stay up instead are effectively saying that Ralph is significantly weaker manager than Puel was.

Puel got us solid mid table on 46 points.

The "I'm not ruling out relegation" nutcases on here are saying that they don't think Ralph can even scrape 36 points in a season, ten less than our Claude. 

Puel's achievements and reputation grow with every passing year.

Edited by CB Fry

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Quite.

All these people who have decided that there is a chance we are going to get relegated and relentless winning machine Fulham are going to stay up instead are effectively saying that Ralph is significantly weaker manager than Puel was.

The "I'm not ruling out relegation" nutcases on here are saying that they don't think Ralph can even scrape 36 points in a season, ten less than our Claude. 

We will be fine this season it’s next is the concern! Newcastle should be very very concerned at the moment .. I think Fulham will catch them.

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Quite.

To be fair, Puel had a lot more to work with than Ralph. Put Fonte, VvD, tadic, Gabbidini (in the form he arrived that season) into out current crop, which ings aside isn’t much different (we’ve just basically lost the best players and haven’t replaced them) and we’d be challenging Everton, West Ham etc. This season... in my opinion, of course. 

But I agree with what you and Turkish are saying and Given the shit show he took over, it’s ridiculous to compare anyone pre Puel, to Ralph. I think anyone with a slight bit of common sense will not judge Ralph on this run of form (I seem to remember Koeman went through a similar run as well) as we have a squad pretty pathetic in terms of depth and a horrific run of injuries. 

I’m probably one of the more pessimistic (I like to say realistic) ones on here, but there is absolutely no way we will be getting anywhere close to relegation. 

pound for pound, I think Ralph, by consolidating us as a mid table team, with our current crop has been one of our more successful managers. 

weird to think Eddie Howe (an absolute myth of a manager) would do any better when he hardly achieved what we have this, and last season, with significantly more resource at his disposal. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

We will be fine this season it’s next is the concern! Newcastle should be very very concerned at the moment .. I think Fulham will catch them.

Palace also in free-fall. Mate thinks Roy is off and the players know this. Plus pretty poor without Zaha

16 hours ago, Turkish said:

Which is why i said it depends on how you measure success. Everyone seems to hark back to the golden era of Pochetino, yet if you measure things on end result alone Puel was better, but most dont have a good word to say about him or his time here. I seem to remember under Pochetino we had a terrible run around christmas time where we had a lot of injuries, also lots of complaints then he had no plan b and couldn't break teams down that parked the bus, fans were fuming when we lost to Sunderland in the FA Cup after he played a weakened team, it wasn't all amazing.

Not disagreeing with you actually. The issue with Puel in many fans eyes was not the results, but the method he used to get there. It was simply boring to watch...and so we’re his interviews. It was turning ugly on the terraces too with an increasing number of supporters voicing their disappointment and disapproval. And that was with an arguably better squad of players. And it happened to him at Leicester too...and it’s true to say they’re not doing too badly without him.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Not disagreeing with you actually. The issue with Puel in many fans eyes was not the results, but the method he used to get there. It was simply boring to watch...and so we’re his interviews. It was turning ugly on the terraces too with an increasing number of supporters voicing their disappointment and disapproval. And that was with an arguably better squad of players. And it happened to him at Leicester too...and it’s true to say they’re not doing too badly without him.

I'll definitely argue against that.

43 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Long scores for Bmuff 🤣

Fucking hell, even he couldn’t miss that. It was about 3cm out.

According to that plank Clinton Morrison, he missed a sitter as well. Well,  I think that’s what he said, I don’t speak Saff London chav myself, but I think that’s what he said. 

37 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Fucking hell, even he couldn’t miss that. It was about 3cm out.

According to that plank Clinton Morrison, he missed a sitter as well. Well,  I think that’s what he said, I don’t speak Saff London chav myself, but I think that’s what he said. 

Not like the old lady in Airplane who could speak “jive” then 🤣