Other Games - 2020/2021

jamesfp1

Brighton are playing like they hate Newcastle. That's what I'd like to see from us just once or twice a season........even if its just against the Toon!

Ruthless. Hungary. Interested. 

I really hope today kick starts something new for us. We don't have to win the cup to have a good end of the season, but it'd be nice. 

1 hour ago, sydney_saint said:

Has there ever been this big a gap in resources in the English top flight though? Man City 25 player squad cost them 810m (+eye watering wages). United are second with a squad that cost significantly less at 630m. Who in turn have spent nearly 50m than third place which is Chelsea. Most of the teams in the EPL squad have cost less than 250m. I dunno, for me that is not a good thing, and certainly not something I think the media should salivate over. Yes, there will also be a gap, but for me the size of the gap is disgusting. 

The difference is that City never seem to sign duds, or when they do, they sell/swap them and get most of their money back.

Chelsea spent crazy amounts of money in the summer and I think most of their big signings could reasonably be called flops (Werner, Ziyech, Havertz, Chilwell; Kepa in the recent past) with Mount dragging them up the table almost single-handedly.

United have spent big money on van de Beek, Telles, Dan James, Ighalo, and Dalot in recent years - not to mention Alexis Sanchez. Millions and millions wasted.

City's biggest transfer failure in recent years was probably Danilo, and they swapped him for Cancelo who has been outstanding. 

Brighton won't go down, competent side and now adding more goals. Also have finally got Lallana and Welbeck fit and that will see them get another couple of wins at least.

Burnley also too canny, so Fulham or Newcastle surely?

Just now, S-Clarke said:

That was a disgrace from Newcastle. They didn't even try. Didn't even run. Didn't put in any tackles.

They just didn't want to be out there.

Looks to be between Newcastle and Fulham to me.

Both have tricky run ins and then a potential loser goes down match on the last day!

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

That was a disgrace from Newcastle. They didn't even try. Didn't even run. Didn't put in any tackles.

They just didn't want to be out there.

Looks to be between Newcastle and Fulham to me.

Newcastle have some tricky fixtures to come & have to try and stay in it -- Their last 2 matches are Sheff Utd & Fulham

1 minute ago, SuperSAINT said:

Newcastle have some tricky fixtures to come & have to try and stay in it -- Their last 2 matches are Sheff Utd & Fulham

They've won 2 in 19 or something, if they carry on like that they'll be lucky to be within 3 points of Fulham before that game. 

Brighton impress me and I think Potter has got them playing some great fooball and now they are taking their chances and winning games.  Lallana is having a huge influence though not sure how long they can keep him fit - he certainly makes them tick. I like the way they play between the lines which is something we seem to have forgotten how to to do.

I followed that Brighton match with interest. This is because my duvet and mattress are still a little damp - although they have been drying out measurably over the last couple of days.

That last match of the season - Fulham v Newcastle - is probably the decider for the last relegation slot.

As an aside, with this new thing of PL matches being spread over a whole weekend, I wonder if they might end the last games of the season being played simultaneously?

Obviously, all matches with implications on other matches need to be simultaneously played. But if, say, Fulham v Newcastle only impacts on who finishes 17th and 18th then maybe televise that at a different time?

18 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

As an aside, with this new thing of PL matches being spread over a whole weekend, I wonder if they might end the last games of the season being played simultaneously?

Obviously, all matches with implications on other matches need to be simultaneously played. But if, say, Fulham v Newcastle only impacts on who finishes 17th and 18th then maybe televise that at a different time?

I very much doubt it. A lot of games will have prize money riding on them.

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

I very much doubt it. A lot of games will have prize money riding on them.

Errr...that is irrelevant. If the match between the two teams only impacts the finishing position of those two teams, hold it separately. If it impacts the finishing position of other teams then, as I say, it can't be held separately.

10 hours ago, Dusic said:

Brighton won't go down, competent side and now adding more goals. Also have finally got Lallana and Welbeck fit and that will see them get another couple of wins at least.

Burnley also too canny, so Fulham or Newcastle surely?

Not forgeting Saints turned them round from goalless wonders to free scoring form team ha ha !

10 hours ago, igsey said:

The difference is that City never seem to sign duds, or when they do, they sell/swap them and get most of their money back.

Chelsea spent crazy amounts of money in the summer and I think most of their big signings could reasonably be called flops (Werner, Ziyech, Havertz, Chilwell; Kepa in the recent past) with Mount dragging them up the table almost single-handedly.

United have spent big money on van de Beek, Telles, Dan James, Ighalo, and Dalot in recent years - not to mention Alexis Sanchez. Millions and millions wasted.

City's biggest transfer failure in recent years was probably Danilo, and they swapped him for Cancelo who has been outstanding. 

Also if they have duff goalkeepers they replace them Hart , Gunn etc

Just had a sneak on the Geordies fans forum and they are up in arms over last nights result  as expected ..but wot had me in fits was the references they use for the chairman and the manager .. fatty the gambler esq.. and mrs doubtfire... Steve Bruce aka ... I’m dead 😂😂😂😂

8 hours ago, SaintBobby said:

I followed that Brighton match with interest. This is because my duvet and mattress are still a little damp - although they have been drying out measurably over the last couple of days.

That last match of the season - Fulham v Newcastle - is probably the decider for the last relegation slot.

Surely that title goes to the Saints v Fulham game? ;)

1 hour ago, Chris cooper said:

Just had a sneak on the Geordies fans forum and they are up in arms over last nights result  as expected ..but wot had me in fits was the references they use for the chairman and the manager .. fatty the gambler esq.. and mrs doubtfire... Steve Bruce aka ... I’m dead 😂😂😂😂

haha

Just had a look and found a thread call "players worse than Joelinton" 😁  All seems  very familiar

https://www.toontastic.net/board/topic/41831-players-who-are-worse-than-joelinton/page/8/#comments

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

haha

Just had a look and found a thread call "players worse than Joelinton" 😁  All seems  very familiar

https://www.toontastic.net/board/topic/41831-players-who-are-worse-than-joelinton/page/8/#comments

Lol.

Now that's an example of piss poor scouting! 40m pissed up in the air on him. He doesn't even move or look like a footballer. They've been done on that one, and the £27m they spent on Almiron is equally shit. (at least he moves, but he's pretty shit - apart from when he faces us).

I know the Georgies complain about a lack of funds, but they've had shit loads more to spend than we've had over the last few years. £25m spent on Wilson alone last summer, and they didn't even have to sell anyone to fund it.

I'm watching the Sheffield United game and Mcburnie is absolutely bloody horrific.

He's one of the biggest transfer signings for a Scottish player and he's Sheffield United's record signing aswell.

£20m quid. He's awful. He really is fucking dire.

What difference a year makes. Last year West Ham were staring relegation in the face after some poor recruitment. Now they're flying after some shrewd signings. The likes of Soucek (£14m), Coufal (£5m), Lingard (Loan) and Dawson (free) would have hardly excited the fans but have all made that team better and for buttons in todays market. In fact their marquee signing Benrahma hasnt really worked out so far. All with a manager who most of the fanbase didnt want to see back.

Just shows what a transfer window or two can do for a club. Our recruitment the last few windows has been decent and lets hope that continues in the summer. Theres quality out there which doesnt involve busting the bank, which is likely the position we'll find ourselves given our current finances and Ralphs desire to add depth to the squad

4 hours ago, JustinSFC said:

I'm watching the Sheffield United game and Mcburnie is absolutely bloody horrific.

He's one of the biggest transfer signings for a Scottish player and he's Sheffield United's record signing aswell.

£20m quid. He's awful. He really is fucking dire.

They are not the only ones to waste £20m quid on a donkey. 🙁

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

I wonder if the BBC get first or second choice of the semis.

I think BBC get the first choice.

We’ve won on BT Sport for the 3rd round, and the 4th round and also the 5th round. 
Yesterday, we also won on BT Sport.

I’d suspect that BBC will go for City vs Chelsea, meaning we might just be on BT Sport again. 
It’s our year ;)