January 2021 transfer window

mcbendy

3 minutes ago, trousers said:

Screenshot_20210201-231543.png

This just seems utterly bizarre given that KWP is injured, we also have injuries in midfield limiting our options to play the likes of JWP there and we have failed to bring in our targets in full back positions. And we let Vokins go out as well!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Antrimsaint said:

Valery and Vokins gone. Didn’t really rate them but by eck! letting defenders go in an injury crisis is baffling. So at the minute we are without kwp, salisu, vesty , Vokins, Valery and 50/50 Bertrand. Mental.

no one rates them. They basically got a game when we were on our knees. They are not pushing for a game. We don't want players that are not doing that. That said, not sure who really can play left back if Bertrand gets injured, because Stephens certainly cant

Just now, Antrimsaint said:

Did anyone see Djenepro at right-back? Flipping bambi on ice and the positioning of Stevie Wonder. That’s our replacement for kwp?

Vestergaard and Salisu are both back in the next 1 to 2 weeks. That allows Stephens to be fullback cover. Salisu could possibly cover left back.

Did anyone see Djenepro at right-back? Flipping bambi on ice and the positioning of Stevie Wonder. That’s our replacement for kwp?

he's terrible there. Was terrible as a wingback too. Just does not understand the position. JWP will play when needed IMO.

Yep echo others thoughts here- very happy about Minamino coming in but slightly concerned about depth at fullback - risky approach to go in without both Vokins and Valery- I just hope Will Ferry can step up if need be and similarly find someone in the academy for right back.

How much money are we really saving? If I make up that each player is on 20k and times that by 16 weeks- thats £640k? (And that is still an overestimate.

You’d wonder how much that makes in the grand scheme of things but I suppose it gives them the intangible benefit of valuable game time. 

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

not sure who really can play left back if Bertrand gets injured, because Stephens certainly cant

Thinking out loud here, so a likelihood that I'm talking utter nonsense, but how about deploying Redmond as a stand-in left wing back...? (No chortling at the back please!)

Edited by trousers

Just now, trousers said:

Thinking out loud here, so a likelihood that I'm talking utter nonsense, but how about deploying Redmond as a stand-in left wing back...? (No chortling as the back please!)

Well, he seems to do better going backwards, so it may work.

Just now, trousers said:

Thinking out loud here, so a likelihood that I'm talking utter nonsense, but how about deploying Redmond as a stand-in left wing back...? (No chortling as the back please!)

I think he did that a few times when he was at Norwich. 

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

he's terrible there. Was terrible as a wingback too. Just does not understand the position. JWP will play when needed IMO.

Not if Romeu and Diallo are out he won't Showed on Saturday that he is too much of a missing MF to be wasted at RB (and isn't very good there either).

8 minutes ago, Saint Pete said:

This just seems utterly bizarre given that KWP is injured, we also have injuries in midfield limiting our options to play the likes of JWP there and we have failed to bring in our targets in full back positions. And we let Vokins go out as well!

They are both inadequate. Moved on. JWP will cover at right back. 

• Like 2

Getting serious poortlivet vibes here. It’s the hope that kills. For a while it was feeling like the Poch era with schniederlin and wanyama and that feeling of control of the game and knowing what we were doing but it seems fleeting now. 

With these injuries it seems like a patch up job till we get our players back. So unfortunate really. I really hope we get our groove back soon because it was beautiful to watch for a while knowing we could really compete with anyone. 

• Like 1

Stretching credibility here but there could be an added bonus of satisfying Jankewitz to an extent. If the likes of JWP and Diallo will be required to cover FB intermittently, he will get more game time. Perhaps the coaches have decided AJ in midfield and JWP at RB is better overall than JWP in midfield and Valery at RB. It wouldn’t be an entirely stupid line of thinking.

• Like 1

Getting serious poortlivet vibes here. It’s the hope that kills. For a while it was feeling like the Poch era with schniederlin and wanyama and that feeling of control of the game and knowing what we were doing but it seems fleeting now. 

With these injuries it seems like a patch up job till we get our players back. So unfortunate really. I really hope we get our groove back soon because it was beautiful to watch for a while knowing we could really compete with anyone. 

Not sure it's quite that extreme.

We haven't had the 'long jam of strikers' line yet...!

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

I mean he is shit. He needs games. And he’s a long way down the pecking order. Depending on the situation with KWP, Salisu, Vestergaard, Diallo and Romeu, it would make sense to loan him out to get games. I worry he’d struggle to get in the Birmingham team though. 

True, but we now have absolutely zero senior fullback cover??? 

6 minutes ago, trousers said:

Thinking out loud here, so a likelihood that I'm talking utter nonsense, but how about deploying Redmond as a stand-in left wing back...? (No chortling at the back please!)

Not sure about that, but I was actually thinking earlier that Walcott might do a job at right back with his high energy pressing and direct running. Obviously not for a few weeks now with his injuries but still.

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

I don't recall him spending £35m in his summer transfer window and a couple of million loan fee on a player in January during a pandemic? 

Who said we’ve paid a couple of million to loan Minamino? Can’t see it personally. They only paid 6-7m for him didn’t they?! 

4 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Who said we’ve paid a couple of million to loan Minamino? Can’t see it personally. They only paid 6-7m for him didn’t they?! 

Loan fees for senior PL players tend to be a few million for a half season. That is how for example we got £5m for Cedric including wages.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

We do. We have Diallo JWP Stephens Salisu and Ferry who can all do a job at full back. Depends on injuries. Valery and Vokins are no better than those at full back right now. 

FFS, a few weeks ago, we were top 4. Now we're resorted to playing first choice midfielders out of position to plug gaps whilst letting both our second choice fullbacks go out on loan. Are we

a) that desperate to cut the wages bill? 

b) possessing absolutely zero ambition or intent to push on and actually maximise our potential? 

c) just giving up? 

There is absolutely no way this window can be seen in any way positive beyond Long being relocated

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Viking Saint said:

FFS, a few weeks ago, we were top 4. Now we're resorted to playing first choice midfielders out of position to plug gaps whilst letting both our second choice fullbacks go out on loan. Are we

b) possessing absolutely zero ambition or intent to push on and actually maximise our potential? 

c) just giving up? 

There is absolutely no way this window can be seen in any way positive beyond Long being relocated

It's certainly difficult to believe we have any ambition of progressing as a club when you look at the decisions that have been made.

3 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

More scary. I've just seen a 'D Wright-Phillips' has gone on loan from Man City to Stoke. Apparently he's Shaun Wright-Phillips' son. F**k. I feel old. 

Fuck me. And there was me feeling old about referring to Theo as an old head, and now that.

19 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Yep echo others thoughts here- very happy about Minamino coming in but slightly concerned about depth at fullback - risky approach to go in without both Vokins and Valery- I just hope Will Ferry can step up if need be and similarly find someone in the academy for right back.

How much money are we really saving? If I make up that each player is on 20k and times that by 16 weeks- thats £640k? (And that is still an overestimate.

You’d wonder how much that makes in the grand scheme of things but I suppose it gives them the intangible benefit of valuable game time. 

I would suspect that Valery is on more than that. He signed a new improved contract after his purple patch a couple of years ago.

Mind you , we may be subsidising his wages.

Just now, Viking Saint said:

c) just giving up? 

How about d)

Without Vokins and Valery who aren't good enough and opening the pathway up for someone else who might be.

Perhaps Ramsey is better than Valery. Perhaps Ferry is better than Vokins. Perhaps this all opens up the pathway more for Jankewitz to get more gametime.

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

How about d)

Without Vokins and Valery who aren't good enough and opening the pathway up for someone else who might be.

Perhaps Ramsey is better than Valery. Perhaps Ferry is better than Vokins. Perhaps this all opens up the pathway more for Jankewitz to get more gametime.

Doesn't really explain why those players weren't used in the last few weeks does it? 

• Like 1

Minamino is an exciting signing for me. He knows the style from Red Bull and has a lot to prove in the PL. Assuming this goes through as reported, I’m looking forward to seeing him play for us. Hoping he can show the form from his CL performances. Elyounoussi did look good against City in the CL too...

On the other hand, how can a PL team have literally no cover for either FB position? I accept the view that Valery and Vokins aren’t good enough. However, that does not excuse the mistake to not find alternative cover for either position in the last two windows. Why sign Salisu if there is a greater need elsewhere. Admittedly Vest has found his space jam and the injuries are unfortunate, just a lot of risk here.

We may find that our captain - one of our most influential players - spends too many games playing out of position and that could cost him his England place this summer. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, trousers said:

I actually thought that during the Villa game.

Trouble is more often than not he usually ends up going backwards 30yds from where he receives the ball, if he's playing LB we'll have to practice defending a hell of a lot of corners.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

All hail Takumi. If he is a success and Liverpool decide they don't want him in the summer, I guess even without an option we'd be in a good place to sign him if we can find some money down the back of the sofa.

Is Long still with us? Scratch this, just been announced he's gone to BMuff.

Shame about the full back positions though. Let's hope we can get KWP back soon and keep him and Bertrand fit and suspension free. Our first XI sans injury is definitely top ten quality.

Edited by SNSUN
Long update