New contract for Romeu please.....

washsaint

Sort of player we need around even if not first choice. A good player, a good character and a proper professional who appears to be glad to be with us. Absolutely should be offered a new deal even if long term Diallo is going to be first choice in his role. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Sort of player we need around even if not first choice. A good player, a good character and a proper professional who appears to be glad to be with us. Absolutely should be offered a new deal even if long term Diallo is going to be first choice in his role. 

He is clearly a first choice. Some of us have never doubted his ability he just needed to be given decent run in the side. He'll be hard to dislodge now. Diallo can replace Armstrong and Walcott for Redmond.

Incredibly underrated. Normally needs a couple of games to get going when he hasn’t played in a while, but once he’s up to speed he rarely lets us down. Been one of the stars post-lockdown, and MOTM in 3 of the 6 games so far this season imo. One of the best £5mil we have ever spent. 

16 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Why would that be then? 
Actually why would anyone be replacing Armstrong?

Especially someone that doesn’t even play in the same position

obviously long term Diallio has been signed as first choice defensive midfielder. 

55 minutes ago, igsey said:

He's been an absolute cut above Hojbjerg. The partnership he's developed with JWP is fantastic... dare I say he is the Wanyama to JWP's Schneiderlin?

I think its very close. Romeu for me has been top class - since the restart after lockdown, and now after the first few games of this season when getting up to full fitness again. I knew when we signed him from Chelsea in the summer of 2015 for a bargain £5m I knew we had bought a quality player. He has to be given a new contract now! :) Prowsey has been immense too. 

Looks to have stepped up his fitness /sharpness since the lockdown break. Thought his days here looked numbered halfway through last season, just looked like his legs were done. Whatever the change, be it Ralphs influence or something else, its great to see

1 hour ago, igsey said:

He's been an absolute cut above Hojbjerg. The partnership he's developed with JWP is fantastic... dare I say he is the Wanyama to JWP's Schneiderlin?

Remember the game 3 or so seasons back when a fit and in-form Wanyama (playing for Spurs) and Romeu battled it out and Romeu clearly outpointed VW.   There has been a lot of unjustified writing off of Romeu...."too slow, legs are gone".   He is a very accomplished DM and his eye for an attacking pass has often been under appreciated.    

He's not mobile enough, moves the ball too slowly, and is a red card waiting to happen.

That was our forum wisdom over a long period. But WTF do we know?!

Class player, in superb form, and according to Ralph the most professional he's ever worked with. 

Love that he's with us: give him another contact!

Alongside the young players looking to use us as a stepping stone he's exactly the type of player we should be looking to sign. Kwp, Bertrand, romeu, Theo and ings have all had a taste of bigger clubs and it didn't work out for one reason or another (maybe not the same with Theo but you get the point). All have come and proven their worth here and have probably all stayed longer at a club where there's less expectation and maybe a bit less pressure and more support. 

4 minutes ago, egg said:

I'm not sure there's another Premier league central midfield player in better form than him at the moment. He absolutely bossed the midfield yesterday. 

Was about to say Allan is playing better in CM so far but then realised that point would be a bit lost as Romeu and JWP just dominated the midfield playing against him, Doucoure and Sigurdsson. Other than the shot that hit the bar, those three had no impact on the game at all.

Credit to him he has massively stepped up his game, not only replacing Hojberg but really improving on him. 

I personally thought he was coming to the end of his time with us, didn't seem mobile enough but have to say he has proved me wrong. 

Really good case to give Romeu a new 3 year contract. He’s been excellent this season and we are hardly overloaded in the central midfield department - if he doesn’t stay we will surely need to sign someone else.

Bertrand has been great for us too, but with him being older it gets a bit trickier. He will be 33 at the end of the season? I’m guessing we might offer him one more year but he’d probably be tempted elsewhere if he was offered 2 or 3 years by another club.

I’ve never got the Romeu bashing. He’s very good at what he does - and has been a mainstay in any decent period we have had since he joined. Great passer, strong, intelligent (never been sent off despite his style), big club and plenty of Prem League experience, and a real team player (if he gets dropped he tends to come back stronger)

Yes he isn’t the quickest, but if he was he’d be top 6 material. I’d give him a 2 year contract now - if he signs for another club in Jan as he is entitled we’d have made a big mistake. 

I will hold my hands up and say I was really worried about him being a starter last season, as I didn't think he could do the high energy game required, but have been totally proved wrong. He's had good periods playing for us before, but Ralph really seems to have brought out the best in him. Sign him up for a new deal, please.

He's an absolute rock, opposition attacking midfields must be worried when they face him with the ball at their feet which can only be a good thing. His tackling has really improved recently too, not so many clumsy tackles, he was taking the ball straight off the foot of players yesterday which was great to see. New contract now please!

Once he gets going he settles our midfield down massively. Forged a good partnership with JWP in the sense that they both know where each other are.

He's good on the ball, good in tight spaces, just not too quick recovery wise - but that's what Diallo can add to us. I think we've got a good mix in CM now.

11 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Once he gets going he settles our midfield down massively. Forged a good partnership with JWP in the sense that they both know where each other are.

He's good on the ball, good in tight spaces, just not too quick recovery wise - but that's what Diallo can add to us. I think we've got a good mix in CM now.

Les will be glad to hear that!

Relax - it's happening. Him, Berty and Ings - just a bit of final horse trading to get out of the way. It's a no brainer for all sides, so can't see it not happening  but you never know until the weight challenged female has exercised her vocal cords 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Funny how things can change. At the start of the year there were people on here saying that he should never be seen in a Saints shirt again.

Good to see that he's proving his doubters wrong.

At least when people write off players / managers prematurely its good to look back and have a bit of a chuckle at their over-reaction.... ;)

image.thumb.png.ef9f8d3c20f54ed6ea478cc511203411.png

15 hours ago, The Cat said:

Maybe Les Reed was right all along about our midfield?

McCarthy, Bertrand, Vestergaard, Bednarek, Romeu, Redmond, Armstrong, Ings. Not to mention Ward Prowse developed under his eye. 9 of our starting 11 are thanks to Les. Time for a statue?

13 hours ago, Turkish said:

McCarthy, Bertrand, Vestergaard, Bednarek, Romeu, Redmond, Armstrong, Ings. Not to mention Ward Prowse developed under his eye. 9 of our starting 11 are thanks to Les. Time for a statue?

THe statue would have more charisma than the man himself.