Newcastle 3-2 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

Looks like they’ve got a load of injuries problems too, 5 defenders may be out, Lascelles, who I rate, Lewis, Fernandez, Dummett and maybe Ciaran Clark as well as his missus is or just about to give birth. Can see a high scoring game as they’ll cause us problems. Hopefully we can have a big reaction and get back on track.

Like a solid 3-4 to nil win would be so amazing just to put the previous result to bed quickly, but I doubt its going to happen.

We never seem to get much luck up there, battered them last year IIRC and then they scored with like their only two shots or something. 

In a words I never thought I’d say situation I’d like to see Forster start this one. Wasn’t overly impressed with Macca’s rabbit in the headlights performance the other night, can’t imagine his confidence is particularly high at the moment.

I really fear for us if Newcastle score first....and god forbid we get another red card.

This squad really need to be firing on all cylinders today, Ings needs to step up, JWP needs to lead, the defence need to be rock solid and determined not to concede. if they want to put that shambles to bed, they need to win convincingly today, absolutely smash Newcastle on their own turf. 

GET IT FUCKING DONE!!! 

Newcastle odds 2/1 to win seems generous but still don’t think they will although don’t know if we will be more fatigued than them. Woudl be good if Vest is back for set pieces if all their CBs are injured.
Shame not a crowd there to get on their back but still one of the easier PL games.

0-2

14 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

In a words I never thought I’d say situation I’d like to see Forster start this one. Wasn’t overly impressed with Macca’s rabbit in the headlights performance the other night, can’t imagine his confidence is particularly high at the moment.

Was just about to ask if I was the only one who wants to see Fraser back in goal today. Not because I don't rate McCarthy, he's done pretty well during Ralph's tenure overall and I don't think the 9-0 was his fault, but I feel FF deserves his chance after a couple clean sheets. Also, something about seeing him in goal gives me confidence. Perhaps it's just nostalgia for the Koeman days, but I think his big frame genuinely makes a psychological difference to opposition strikers. 

Having said that I remember his slow motion dives and makes me wonder if I'm being nuts asking for his recall. Has this side of his game been eradicated with regular games in Scotland?

Tella AND Salisu back on bench!

Otherwise very happy with that team so glad to have Jannik back for us :D

As long as Stephens can avoid stupid passes and leave it to Jannik to do that- no reason not to be confident- although our attacking players need to step it up a fair few have been off form. 

1 hour ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

I'd really rather not see Stephens at RB, he's looked like a fish out of water when he's played at full back previously.

Any less than Ramsey, Djenepo or Valery? JS is by in large our best back up option at RB (without having to move a CM). 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Newcastle v Saints - Match Thread
17 minutes ago, captainchris said:

Will we bother to mark Shelvey and Saint Maxim????

This is key.... 

15 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Mark them in what situations?

11 minutes ago, captainchris said:

A football match .....🤷‍♂️

6 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

When do you think  🙄

Every player bar the goalkeeper is marked at some point during the match. Some situations they are instructed to mark for and others not. It is rare to be properly 'man marked' for an entire game in modern football. In any case the style of our pressing play means players are quickly closed down.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Newcastle 3-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic