Newcastle 3-2 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

But not playing with instructions from Ralph? Think he could be a game changer for us, but only if we move the ball quickly.

I think he'll be the one that helps us move the ball quicker. Liked what I saw of him at Liverpool.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Appy said:

Bruce saying we’re nearly back to full strength 😂

He's really pushing hard to get away from the story being losing to a 9-0 beaten injury ravaged team, painting the picture now that we have players back and it is in fact his side who have the injury crisis. 

I don't know enough about the players he's listed as out to know if they play regularly anyway, or what the replacements are like. Doubt they are scraping the barrel like we did at Old Trafford. 

What I do know is I've seen us suffer at the pace of Saint-Maximin, the long distance shots and shithousery or Shelvey and the brute force aerial presence of Carroll, Callum Wilson likes a goal against us as well, all of those players are available. 

We've got to be due a win up there, miss the days when we could always bank on a Le Tissier screamer every time we played the Geordies. 

Both sides on a poor run. Newcastle looked good away to Everton last weekend but haven't won at home for a while. 

30 minutes ago, waylander said:

Saint-Maximin had Covid pretty bad. Is he back to full speed?

I'm not sure he did, that's what I believed, I've since been told it was more about a falling out with the club. Him breaking protocols, going home to France at Christmas and allegedly not behaving himself generally. Not saying he didn't have it, but it apparently wasn't the reason for the long absence. He's looked pretty impressive the two times I have seen him recently.

22 minutes ago, waylander said:

Saint-Maximin had Covid pretty bad. Is he back to full speed?

IIRC he has been coming on as a sub about half way through the 2nd half for their last few matches not sure of he is ready to start a match yet though.

4 minutes ago, M271 said:

IIRC he has been coming on as a sub about half way through the 2nd half for their last few matches not sure of he is ready to start a match yet though.

They might see this as a good opportunity to start him and see how he fairs. 1 because they’ve been in a terrible run of form and Bruce needs a win 2 because he’ll likely be up against Ramsey, who isn’t up to it. 

1 hour ago, Appy said:

Bruce saying we’re nearly back to full strength 😂

To be fair, we could possibly put out what is now our first choice 11....? (Walcott for Redmond/Djenepo possibily the only exception)

McCarthy

KWP - Vestegaard - Bednarek - Bertie

JWP - Romeu

Takumi - Redmond/Djenepo 

Ings - Adams

9 minutes ago, trousers said:

To be fair, we could possibly put out what is now our first choice 11....? (Walcott for Redmond/Djenepo possibily the only exception)

McCarthy

JWP - Romeu

Takumi - Redmond/Djenepo 

Ings - Adams

Well yes, but it’s still nowhere near full strength. 

39 minutes ago, trousers said:

McCarthy

JWP - Romeu

Takumi - Redmond/Djenepo 

Ings - Adams

I'm not sure he will risk rushing everyone back, tricky one, we need slay the demon of Tuesday, but don't want to be setting anyones recovery back. I think some of the returnees will be on the bench. KWP hasn't been out for too long , bet Vesta and Romeu have.

13 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I'm not sure he will risk rushing everyone back, tricky one, we need slay the demon of Tuesday, but don't want to be setting anyones recovery back. I think some of the returnees will be on the bench. KWP hasn't been out for too long , bet Vesta and Romeu have.

I think we need Romeu and KWP and will see them. Vest maybe on the bench.

33 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Oriol only missed the last game after he came back. I get the feeling that KWP is the least likely to feature. We have to play Romeu if available, but I would not risk Vest, when we have others who are not only available but also keen to put right what happened the other night. Hopefully he won't drop Mccarthy, though he could, I'm sure Forster would like to play up there. Destroyed Gunn when he got dropped after the Leicester debacle. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JRM said:

"I don't know enough about the players he's listed as out to know if they play regularly anyway, or what the replacements are like. Doubt they are scraping the barrel like we did at Old Trafford. "

Lascelles will be the big miss miss for them, he's the pillar of their defence, good in the air and gets the Bednarek style blocks in, also scores from corners.

Lewis is the young ex-Norwich left back, good going forward but not consistent this season.

Fernandez, not a key player.

1 hour ago, Appy said:

Well yes, but it’s still nowhere near full strength. 

Huh, that’s about as good as we’re gonna get? 

limited options on the bench but that 11 is far stronger than the 11 that started Tuesday. We won’t have djenepo effectively playing RB as he has to cover Ramsey for a start. 

15 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Oriol only missed the last game after he came back. I get the feeling that KWP is the least likely to feature. We have to play Romeu if available, but I would not risk Vest,

Its an interesting conundrum. You're right that Romeu has only missed the one game, but before his return in the Villa game he was out for about 4 weeks (he last played before that on 29th December against West Ham). KWP, on the other hand, last played against Arsenal in the cup on Jan 23rd, so although he's missed 3 matches, he's only been out for 2 weeks. Of course, we have no way of assessing the extent of the injuries they suffered. I agree with you about Vestergaard. It wasn't even clear if he has returned to full training, so I'd be very surprised if he was risked, but who knows? (Ralph, I suppose!)

Dean is a disgrace. Just watched Ralph's pre-Newcastle video and they showed the clip at the end of the Man Utd match. Ralph fist pumps the officials and when he does so with Dean the twat hasn't even got the courage to look at him let alone look him in the eye. Fuming at this lack of respect.

Edited by Teddeer
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Dean is a disgrace. Just watched Ralph's pre-Newcastle video and they showed the clip at the end of the Man Utd match. Ralph fist pumps the officials and when he does so with Dean the twat hasn't even got the courage to look at him let alone look him in the eye. Fuming at this lack of respect.

I thought he was cowering, bracing himself for a verbal volley that didn't come (but which I would quite like to have seen)

Pathetic that they don't suspend him for that performance (as ref). Incompetence seems to be just tolerated when it comes to refs

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shroppie said:

I think we need Romeu and KWP and will see them. Vest maybe on the bench.

I agree that we need Romeu and KWP most (in that order) but listening to Ralph it sounded like KWP was the least likely to start.

I think it could be a back 4 of:  Stephens  - Bednarek - Vestergard - Bertrand with KWP on the bench (along with Ramsey)

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Sweepstake on how many times the taters will mention the score from Tuesday's game...

I'm going for 17.

Fine. But will they also mention the shite refereeing from theMoron in the middle.? Unlike other old 

any previous gamesI have a good feeling about this one. Saints to win by a large margin.

5 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

I wouldn't play Vestergaard for this one if he's not 100%. Wolves game on Thursday far more important IMO.

Regardless, I think we'll get a reaction and I think we'll win pretty easily, they're not a good team at all.

Sorry disagree, think this game is more important and won't be easy. If Verstergaard is available we should play him, as he adds so much to the team.

1 hour ago, Minsk said:

I agree that we need Romeu and KWP most (in that order) but listening to Ralph it sounded like KWP was the least likely to start.

I think it could be a back 4 of:  Stephens  - Bednarek - Vestergard - Bertrand with KWP on the bench (along with Ramsey)

Agreed. Think we'll definitely get one of Vestergaard/KWP, with Stephens at RB if it's Vest.

Got my fingers crossed for Romeu as well, as there really isn't any other option for that position that I can think of?

17 minutes ago, Colwinston Saints said:

KWP hasn’t travelled. 

romeu, Vestergaard, Minamino have. 

Cheers. I'll take that. Stephens RB, Vest and Bednarek in the middle is decent enough. Romeu in the middle with JWP.

We've got a chance of result tomorrow. 

4 hours ago, Teddeer said:

Move on my friend. It's becoming tedious all this endless whining about refs. It has nothing to do with tomorrow's match at St James's Park. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, egg said:

Cheers. I'll take that. Stephens RB, Vest and Bednarek in the middle is decent enough. Romeu in the middle with JWP.

We've got a chance of result tomorrow. 

Yeah agree.  Good knowing people with access to the flight list. 

Yeah I’d imagine Stephens will play right back.  Minamino and Djenpo wide. That gives us a goal threat which should be enough against them. 

5 minutes ago, Saint_Tony said:

quite nervous for this game, feels like we really need a win but would take a 0-0. 

Alex Mc 

Ramsey    Bednarek   Vest  Bertrand

Djenepo   Romeu  JWP   Minamino

Ings  Adams

I wouldn't play Ramsey over Stephens personally, and certainly wouldn't put Djenepo on the same side as him again. Two lambs to the slaughter against United and I we can't repeat that. If Djenepo is on the right I'd want the experience of Stephens at RB. 

Nervousness is understandable but I'm feeling good about this. I think we'll see a huge reaction and get something from it. 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Newcastle 3-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic