Newcastle 3-2 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

Well thank f*ck for that. Ramsey aside who will probably play right back again (and people on here seemed to think he had a good game against United which is promising) we will have 3 senior defenders. Then all we need to do is work out who partners JWP in midfield and suddenly, as long as we can keep 11 players on the pitch on Saturday, we look half decent again. 

Who in midfield though? Kegs Chauke? Or moving Armstrong inside (which IMO is the better decision after a thrashing than relying on another youngster so soon) and playing Minamino? Also do we drop McCarthy for Forster?

I reckon Armstrong could be moved inside. So the line up could be: Forster/McCarthy, Ramsey, Bednarek, Stephens, Bertrand, JWP, Armstrong, Djenepo/Redmond, Minamino, Ings, Adams. Which doesn't actually look that bad. Newcastle are a horrible team under Bruce, set up to defend most of the game and grab a goal late on - we are better than them with our first XI - and even with the team above we could well get something from the game.

Simple mission really - stop the rot. Who's the Ref? 😉

3 minutes ago, DT said:

ps where is this confirmed?

On the OS. It's official.

Now Dean and the VAR team have to be investigated. They had the same evidence but appeared to refuse to consider it properly. Smacks of collusion at best, possibly worse.

• Like 3

the club/players don't need last Tuesday's score define them.

Guess what? 8 other teams didn't get any points on Tuesday and Wednesday either  West Brom, Arsenal, Newcastle, Burnley, Fulham, Leeds, Villa and Liverpool.

point differential this season , with the points we currently have, isn't really going to be a factor.

we aren't ready for Europe and we aren't getting relegated.

Wow, we all know Mike Dean was a complete **** to follow through and send him off, but I didn't expect the FA to admit to that.

Guess the difference between ours and Luiz' was the fact the cheating **** clearly dived before Bednarek touched him for the penalty.

50 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

Table means fook all at this stage of season!    Current form is more worrying nipper !

Of course it means something. If you have 29 points at this stage of the season it is easier to get to 50+ points than it is if you only have 14 points.

Plus calling me 'nipper'! Really? 😁

37 minutes ago, Wimborne_saint said:

Ralph says Romeu, Vestergaard and Walker-Peters could all be back for Saturday!! (Romeu likely and Vest/KWP "maybe") 

Armstrong misses out though with a muscle injury....time to throw Minamino straight in?

This is really great news. Have really missed Walker-Peters' energy and drive, and Vestergaard's calm presence (and raking cross field balls). Romeu's bite, too. Thank gawd

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

"Its different than last time (to Leicester). Because we were definitely a shit team. Sorry I say this. We had no identity and were wobbling around then"

I actually thought he said 'wombling' and thought of Tobermory et al. Jeez, this guy's grasp of English culture is thorough

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, trousers said:

We lost our next 2 games after last season's 9-0, so no panic if we don't bounce straight back this time either...(although, those 2 games were both vs Man City of course)

And then lost to Everton at home, performance in that was almost as bad as the nine nil. 

40 minutes ago, trousers said:

We lost our next 2 games after last season's 9-0, so no panic if we don't bounce straight back this time either...(although, those 2 games were both vs Man City of course)

We were fearing the worst straight after that, we had Man City twice! Although we lost both, we didn't shame ourselves what so ever in either. I remember people predicting 10-11 or so nil in those games!

Think it was 2-1 in the league game after that Leicester one, and we actually took the lead! So I do expect a lot of fight and improvement on Saturday.

Good news if KWP and Rom are back. I doubt we will rush Vest straight back in now we know Bednarek is available. Shame about Armstrong but at least we have other options in wide mid.

I reckon it'll be:

McCarthy 

KWP, Stephens, Bednarek, Bertrand 

JWP, Romeu

Minamino, Redmond 

Adams, Ings 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Appy said:

And then lost to Everton at home, performance in that was almost as bad as the nine nil. 

We were awful in that game against Everton. I recall Cedric Soares' "efforts" at left back being a particular lowlight. 

Based on Ralph's press conference I'm hoping it'll be this..

McCarthy, KWP, Bednarek, Stephens, Bertrand, Romeu, JWP, Redmond, Minamino, Adams, Ings.

Subs: Forster, Ramsay, Vestergaard, Ferry, Finnigan, Chauke, Watts, Djenepo, N'Lundulu.

Shame Armstrong is out but he'd have needed a rest soon anyway. I doubt he'll put Vestergaard straight back in after 1 day of training but hopefully he'll start on Tuesday night. 

41 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Who is the ref on Saturday?

Craig Pawson. Think he last reffed us away at Bournemouth last season. We won 2-0.

Just seen he did Arsenal Wolves on Tues and sent Luiz off in similar incident to Bednarek.

Edited by Shroppie

13 hours ago, Dorchester Saint said:

I think the reaction will be a blinder and we’ll do Newcastle, the players must be absolutely dribbling to get back on the pitch and show us what a freak show the last game was...

With you Dorchester.

Think we will win this if we play with confidence and courage. 3-4-3 works for me. Only have three defenders anyway so why not!

Forgive the dumb question but can anyone tell me what injuries KWP and Vest have - both done in training.

Moderators - can we start a new 'this century' injury update thread?

4 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

Based on Ralph's press conference I'm hoping it'll be this..

McCarthy, KWP, Bednarek, Stephens, Bertrand, Romeu, JWP, Redmond, Minamino, Adams, Ings.

Subs: Forster, Ramsay, Vestergaard, Ferry, Finnigan, Chauke, Watts, Djenepo, N'Lundulu.

Shame Armstrong is out but he'd have needed a rest soon anyway. I doubt he'll put Vestergaard straight back in after 1 day of training but hopefully he'll start on Tuesday night. 

If that's the starting XI, I'm going for a 2-0 win. The only unknown there is Minamino and he's as unknown for Newcastle to defend against as he is for us.

• Like 1

According to Ralph "Romeu can be back and Jannick can be back, Kyle is maybe an option for the weekend". So sounds like Ori and JV will be straight back into the team with KWP on the bench or maybe starting.

If our defence is KWP Bednarek Vestergaard Bertrand then I'm suddenly looking forward to the game again!

Lets have this then please:

Forster, KWP, Bednarek, Vestergaard, Bertrand, Romeu, JWP, Redmond, Minamino, Ings, Adams

1 hour ago, niceandfriendly said:

According to Ralph "Romeu can be back and Jannick can be back, Kyle is maybe an option for the weekend". So sounds like Ori and JV will be straight back into the team with KWP on the bench or maybe starting.

If our defence is KWP Bednarek Vestergaard Bertrand then I'm suddenly looking forward to the game again!

Lets have this then please:

Forster, KWP, Bednarek, Vestergaard, Bertrand, Romeu, JWP, Redmond, Minamino, Ings, Adams

If Vest is back, but not KWP, then Stephens will be at RB. Just a guess.

Edited by Gingeletiss
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gingeletiss said:

If Vest is back, but not KWP, then Stephens will be at RB. Just a guess.

Yup. And that wouldn’t be so bad. Remove him from CB where he’s been poor this season, and have a bit more experience at RB than Ramsay.

Will help us massively having Romeu back too, as it should mean we’re playing much further up the pitch and have more of the ball, leaving Stephens less susceptible to 1v1s.

Slowly starting to get a bit of confidence back with these players returning. I just hope it’s not too soon. 

1 minute ago, Saint Garrett said:

Yup. And that wouldn’t be so bad. Remove him from CB where he’s been poor this season, and have a bit more experience at RB than Ramsay.

Will help us massively having Romeu back too, as it should mean we’re playing much further up the pitch and have more of the ball, leaving Stephens less susceptible to 1v1s.

Slowly starting to get a bit of confidence back with these players returning. I just hope it’s not too soon. 

I hope we don t rush any of them though, risk of injury reoccurrence by coming back too soon is what i m worried about.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Newcastle 3-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic