Newcastle 3-2 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

We played with fire by letting Vokins and Valery go out on loan. One of them yeah, probably fine but not both when you aren’t bringing in any cover.

That decision was always going to leave us on a knife edge with one more injury or suspension at the back whilst clinging to the hope we could muddle through until one or more of KWP/Vestergaard/Salisu were fit. 

Well before Valery even unpacked his bags in Birmingham it’s happened, and looks like it will spill over to Newcastle.

Its not about how good or bad either Valery or Vokins are, it’s about giving yourself more choice as to what to do. But those options have gone and we are left with what? Two kids who will be shell shocked after last night with no experience between them. Just great 😌 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Wonder might we go 3-4-3 with Djenepo and redmond as wingbacks if Bednarek remains out.

I thought this. 

McCarthy

Ramsey Stephens Bertrand

Redmond JWP Armstrong Djenepo

Minamino Ings Adams

Or something like that.

• Like 2

Time to start spreading a covid story and get this shit postponed.

Anyone else been out for some much needed fresh air today and ran into all the local big six fans you haven't seen for weeks, who just desperately want to chat about all things football? Yeah, me too. 

And as for Mike Dean, your time is running out, he'll piss off a bigger club than us soon and it will signal the end of one of the worst refs the game has ever seen. I want to add some profanity to this post, but instead I'll say, don't dwell on last night, focus on something else today, there's enough bad stuff out there eating at us at the moment to allow this to worsen your day. 

Up The Saints. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Backs to the wall job on Saturday. You can envisage the team talk:

" No one at the FA likes us. Crooked refs.  Our luck is out. Life currently unfair. Lets stick together lads and stick it to the Geordies."

Dont think we will lose but it may be a draw.

5 hours ago, Toussaint said:

Velery / Ramsey v Saint Maxamin😭 Rookie cb v Carol 😭 it’s just too cruel 

Valery isn’t with us. Saint Max is a Covid crock and Carol is an even slower cart horse.

Newcastle are shit and Wilson would be the one to fear not Carol 

If Bednarek is suspended i'd go for:

McCarthy; Ramsay, Stephens, Bertrand; Djenepo, Armstrong, JWP, Minamino, Redmond; Adams, Ings.

3-5-2. I doubt Ralph will change formation but I think it's the best option with the players we have available. JWP sitting in front of the back 3 with Stu and Minamino infront of him. I think Redmond could do a decent job at wing back considering he seems to love going backwards! 

Edited by Harry_SFC

12 minutes ago, whelk said:

Valery isn’t with us. Saint Max is a Covid crock and Carol is an even slower cart horse.

Newcastle are shit and Wilson would be the one to fear not Carol 

It was in response to a comment to recall Valery. Saint Maxamin ain’t crocked, and Carol is still a handful. Newcastle are improving, we are going the other way.

• Like 1

Unless we get a few of the injured back we are going to get smashed again. Luckily Newcastle are desperate for a win so will probably be more concerned with holding on than getting 4, 5 or more.

Our first-teamers that are fit look like they need a rest, the schedule has been relentless and Ralph’s style it taking its toll on a very thin squad.

Very hard to figure out how to set up for this, assuming Bednarek can't play. I doubt we will win the appeal because they can find a way to justify the decision the way the law is written and I don't think they will be reviewing whether it was a foul or not. But, will the appeal be concluded in time? If not, presumably he can play at the weekend and we might be able to time the suspension alongside Vestergaard returning?

Anyways, without Diallo, Romeu and Jankewitz, JWP has to play in midfield so that means Ramsey must play. I don't think it's fair to throw Tchaepchat in - he didn't look ready the other night and if we play too many youngsters again we might get stuffed which would be pretty embarrassing considering Newcastle are one of the dourest attacking teams in the league.

I quite fancy switching to a back 3 as others have suggested. Ramsay, Stephens and Bertrand.  It does mean playing two of Redmond, Armstrong or Djenepo as wing backs but at least they are senior players and not youngsters being rushed through. It also means we would be vulnerable to long diagonals towards a target man but there's not a lot we can do about that.

I'd go with the following, on the basis that Djenepo is a bit of a defensive liability when starting and should be kept as far up the pitch as possible - he can't tackle or press without constantly giving fouls away.

-----------------McCarthy------------------

-----Ramsay----Stephens------Bertrand---

Armstrong--------JWP------------Redmond

------------Djenepo----Minamoto---------

-----------Adams--------Ings-------------

If we can keep the ball there's plenty in that XI to cause some damage. Important not to give away cheap free kicks because we look pretty weak in the air.

Edited by benjii
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

We played with fire by letting Vokins and Valery go out on loan. One of them yeah, probably fine but not both when you aren’t bringing in any cover.

That decision was always going to leave us on a knife edge with one more injury or suspension at the back whilst clinging to the hope we could muddle through until one or more of KWP/Vestergaard/Salisu were fit. 

Well before Valery even unpacked his bags in Birmingham it’s happened, and looks like it will spill over to Newcastle.

Its not about how good or bad either Valery or Vokins are, it’s about giving yourself more choice as to what to do. But those options have gone and we are left with what? Two kids who will be shell shocked after last night with no experience between them. Just great 😌 

What difference would Vokins or Valery have made? Would they have stopped Weird Al being sent off? Would they have made Mike Dean less of a c*** ?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

What difference would Vokins or Valery have made? Would they have stopped Weird Al being sent off? Would they have made Mike Dean less of a c*** ?

You’ve missed the point, it’s not that they would have made any difference in the sendings off it’s that it would have made a difference in choice of bodies/positions at Newcastle.....actually it would probably have made a difference in starting line up at Old Trafford 

PS this is in the Newcastle thread cos I’m referring to the options for the Newcastle game 🙂

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Saint_Jonny said:

We are a complete laughing stock and we need to do something to claw some semblance of credibility. Imagine losing by a record score line in two consecutive seasons - it's all we'll be remembered for from now on. 

Don't be silly. We'll also be remembered for losing the largest number of points from a winning position since Ralph took over. We are reminded of it every game, even the ones where we haven't taken the lead.

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

As an aside, how highly do we rate Ramsey?  Quite the opportunity opening up for him.

I thought he looked pretty good. Difficult circumstances, but didn't disgrace himself by any means

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Saint_Jonny said:

We are a complete laughing stock and we need to do something to claw some semblance of credibility. Imagine losing by a record score line in two consecutive seasons - it's all we'll be remembered for from now on. 

I genuinely don't think others think we are a complete laughing stock, in my own experience we seem too have earned a good amount of respect among supporters of other clubs and neutrals due to our good run last year. I for one haven't been taken the piss out of as much as last time😀.

38 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

Fingers crossed it snows like b*ggery in the North East and the game is cancelled to allow another week to aid players recovery.

If not can see another thrashing in prospect!!

weather forecast is seemingly on the same side as VAR operatives, sadly

Think we have short memories.  Even with the two 9-0s the current situation is preferable to the dire football served up by Puel's last few games, Pellegrino and Hughes.  Get some of the injured back and things will start to look brighter.  It's just going to be tough for the next few weeks

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Uncle Albert said:

I genuinely don't think others think we are a complete laughing stock, in my own experience we seem too have earned a good amount of respect among supporters of other clubs and neutrals due to our good run last year. I for one haven't been taken the piss out of as much as last time😀.

The table doesn’t lie. 

29 minutes ago, kwsaint said:

Think we have short memories.  Even with the two 9-0s the current situation is preferable to the dire football served up by Puel's last few games, Pellegrino and Hughes.  Get some of the injured back and things will start to look brighter.  It's just going to be tough for the next few weeks

Yeah finishing 8th and playing in Europe and at Wembley was shit....

Huge sprinkling of sarcasm before everyone attacks!!

1 hour ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

As an aside, how highly do we rate Ramsey?  Quite the opportunity opening up for him.

You'll never see or hear from him again after this season.

He only got five games out on loan at bloody Shrewsbury. Too slow to be a full back, not big enough to be a centre back.

Put it this way, Hasenhuttl would rather play Walker-Peters, Valery, Ward-Prowse or Djenepo at right back before he'd pick Ramsey. Fifth choice! Doesn't suggest a player with a huge future.

Good luck to the kid - I hope he storms it in the next few games. But our academy doesn't produce players of any consequence anymore, and Ramsey's not even among the most promising of a barely mediocre batch.

2 hours ago, Saint_Jonny said:

I have had nothing but grief this week by phone, text and that laughing bloody avatar with tears running down its bloody face. Thanks Hasenhüttl for bringing such joy to my life. Whoever you pick this week please spare me another week of embarrassment and humiliation. 

1 hour ago, qwertyell said:

You'll never see or hear from him again after this season.

He only got five games out on loan at bloody Shrewsbury. Too slow to be a full back, not big enough to be a centre back.

For context:

He joined them on 31 January 2020 on a 6 month loan. The season was suspended on 13th March and eventually cancelled. So he hardly had much time and you can't really draw many conclusions from that I think.

Edited by BotleySaint
  • Like 1

Ralph mentioned Will Ferry could cover full back, though I thought he was more attack minded?

So we may see him on the left with Bertrand pushed into the centre alongside Stephens with Ramsay on the right. Unless Bednarek's card is overturned.

Ralph is pretty stubborn on formation and will probably want to slot people into his favourite formation.

52 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

I have had nothing but grief this week by phone, text and that laughing bloody avatar with tears running down its bloody face. Thanks Hasenhüttl for bringing such joy to my life. Whoever you pick this week please spare me another week of embarrassment and humiliation. 

In fairness my phone has been fairly quiet, and my work colleagues have allowed me to grieve in private. Perhaps an advantage of working from home in the lockdown, or maybe it’s just pity.

Worse was the Tranmere debacle under Hoddle when I received texts from people I didn’t realise I knew or had lost contact with. 

As for Newcastle I don’t think they’ve won in their last five home games. Bet they can’t believe their luck in the fixtures playing us next.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

For context:

He joined them on 31 January 2020 on a 6 month loan. The season was suspended on 13th March and eventually cancelled. So he hardly had much time and you can't really draw many conclusions from that I think.

You're right - the pandemic has disrupted so much and for so long, you start to blank out all the ways. My bad.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Newcastle 3-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic