Leeds 3-0 Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

Just now, vectraman said:

Completely agree. JWP kicked the ball before the whistle (no matter how marginal it was before the whistle) and Tells stuck his leg out looking for the pen.

If that was given against us we'd be going crazy.....ref got it right.

As long as its treated consistently. You know there will be a similar soft one given in another game and they'll justify by saying its not a clear and obvious error.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sydney_saint said:

I think this as well sadly. 

Tella showing Redmond how to play football this half. It's embarrassing that Redmond is still in the first XI. I'm not even convinced he works that hard. There was a moment around the 25th minute where the ball bobbled in their box and he lightly jogged towards it. Two minutes later in the middle of the pitch he gentled dropped back again and Vestegaard ended up getting booked. Compare that to Tella who is racing back to help, or Djenepo on Saturday doing everything for the team. Redmond is more likely to throw his hands up in frustation.

I posted this before, and you can add an assist and a few more minutes, but Redmonds output for us has been gash> If ain't even as working as hard as others then what on earth is he doing out there.

Redmond- 11,515 EPL minutes for us- 19 goals, 12 assists

Armstrong-4,627 EPL minutes for us-11 goals, 7 assists

Shane Long- 9,339 EPL minutes for us - 27 goals, 20 assists

Tadic- 9, 617 EPL minutes- 21 goals, 30 assists

Djenepo - 1, 735' EPL minutes-3 goals, 2 assists

Che Adams - 2, 827' - EPL minutes - 8 goals, 7 assists.

Boufal - 3, 072'  EPL minutes - 3 goals 2 assists

On Romeu, that is one of the biggest dick tackles I have seen. 

He doesn’t work hard and never has. Always jogs instead of sprints, always slows game down, very rarely makes any decent runs. It’s like playing with 10 men every game he plays 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, qwertyell said:

Talk about a victim complex: Tella dived and Prowse took the free kick before the whistle. Sucks for us, but the rules were applied properly.

Decent first 20 minutes from us, but our lack of quality in the forward positions is painful. We got sloppy after that and Leeds were the more dangerous team overall. The amazing Romeu tackle glosses over how truly inept our defensive set up was from our own bloody free kick.

Assume we've run our race now and Leeds will eventually cash in on one of our myriad mistakes.

If we get through this match on a fucking ice rink without any injuries that'll be a result.

Could you run through the saves McCarthy has made.

Everything seems to be conspiring against us lately it seems. Bad luck is with us at the moment. But we are playing ok and need just one bit of luck for it to change. The penalty decision was right but still... bad luck as in other games it could be given.

Wow Romeu... who knew he had that pace! Sheer determination and a fantastic tackle. 

Raphina looks dangerous but if we are to win this game, we need to break Leeds's defence, which looks fairly well organised currently. Tella looks ok so far. Definitely look weak in attack on our right without KWP.

At least our bench looks OK if we need to change things up. I'd take a point here again, that result would be no disgrace.

UTS

4 minutes ago, egg said:

BBC site take on it:

"The incident was really bizarre. Andre Mariner was looking at James Ward-Prowse standing on the free-kick.

Mariner turned away then put his whistle to his lips and seemed to blow just as Ward-Prowse played the ball through to Che Adams.

Leeds were static, were not ready for the kick to be taken but for some reason Mariner decided that he had actually NOT blown the whistle and asks Southampton to retake it". 

It was weird but when they showed the reply it was half a second before the whistle went, unlucky but the right call unfortunately 

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Agreed. Both decisions were right, we may not like them but it doesn’t mean they aren’t correct 

If the referee thinks that way then they are correct but there’s nothing about having to be a whistle. It was poor refereeing. He seems to be saying that he wasn’t ready but he ought to have been. You will se European referees waving the whistle under the attacker’s nose to make things clear.

6 minutes ago, egg said:

BBC site take on it:

"The incident was really bizarre. Andre Mariner was looking at James Ward-Prowse standing on the free-kick.

Mariner turned away then put his whistle to his lips and seemed to blow just as Ward-Prowse played the ball through to Che Adams.

Leeds were static, were not ready for the kick to be taken but for some reason Mariner decided that he had actually NOT blown the whistle and asks Southampton to retake it". 

He hadn't blown but it was fractional. He was just about to and - if he had - I don't things would have turned out any different. Fucking annoying. 

I think if we take both decisions in isolation (the free kick goal and the penalty), then yeah for sure they are the right decisions.

I think it is terrible refereeing from Marriner though, had no control of the situation for the free kick.

But with the way the last few weeks have gone referees just leave a bitter taste in my mouth- seems like we can’t buy a decision these days. 

It’s not always the decisions that lead to goals either that have been frustrating- Chelsea were getting underserved corners last week etc etc

• Lighthouse changed the title to Leeds 3-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic