Leeds 3-0 Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

1 minute ago, trousers said:

Think the whistle was just after JWP struck the ball. Split second though 

If it’s a split second then him clearly saying ‘I wasn’t ready’ is rubbish as he was moving the whistle to his mouth show the exact opposite. IF that’s his justification for blowing again and disallowing then it’s a shocking decision. To me, Leeds looked set up and ready so can’t understand why play wasn’t allowed to continue.

Anyone who tells me that there isn't an agenda against us needs to look at the some total of decisions that have gone our way and those that have gone against us. Since that iffy penalty against Brighton I swear we haven't had one borderline decision go for us.

If there was no cheating at least one would go our way... 

Edited by StrangelyBrown
Typo
  • Confused 1

Frustrating not to be in the lead after being the better team, yet but for Romeu wonder tackle we'd be behind

As for the penalty, i don't see how that was a clear and obvious error even if it was soft.

Freekick, does seem clear cut that ref hadn't blown. not sure why he hadn't though.

Hopefully take off the struggling redmond for Ings soon.

Edited by Baird of the land

Just now, davefizzy14 said:

Marriner definitely blew his whistle before we took the free kick, what a joke.

I thought Prowse kicked it marginally before Mariner blew to be honest so Mariner wanted it brought back.  Like to see a replay though...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChrisPY said:

If it’s a split second then him clearly saying ‘I wasn’t ready’ is rubbish as he was moving the whistle to his mouth show the exact opposite. IF that’s his justification for blowing again and disallowing then it’s a shocking decision. To me, Leeds looked set up and ready so can’t understand why play wasn’t allowed to continue.

“The referee gives a signal”

It doesn’t have to be a whistle unless the referee has given explicit instructions. Some refs allow quick free kicks without a whistle.

1 minute ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Anyone who tells me that there isn't an agenda against us needs to look at the some total of decisions that have gone our way and those that have gone against us. Since that iffy penalty against Brighton I swear we haven't had one borderline decision go for us.

If there was no cheating at least one would go our way... 

Grow up, there isn’t an agenda against us. 

• Like 2

Some good moments. Two gilt edge chances in the first 8 minutes and we couldn't take either. It was never a penalty and Tella gets more respect if he attempts to beat the player and stay on his feet rather than hanging out a leg. Need to stop piling everyone forward for free kicks and keep enough back because Romeu's brilliance got us out of an embarrassing hole there. Not sure Redmond knows we're in the red and white shirts but the rest have been reasonable. Could go either way.

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

“The referee gives a signal”

It doesn’t have to be a whistle unless the referee has given explicit instructions. Some refs allow quick free kicks without a whistle.

There’s only one thing that matters. Did the ref say wait for my whistle. If he did, he’s right to disallow it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I've never really understood this 'wait for the whistle' thing. If JWP had taken the FK quickly as soon as the ref gave it, there would be no issue. At what point does that right end and the imperative to wait for the whistle comes into play?

This!? I've never got it either - taking a quick free kick is just a standard part of the game but then in other instances you have to wait for the whistle. What dictates what is acceptable in each situation?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stknowle said:

This!? I've never got it either - taking a quick free kick is just a standard part of the game but then in other instances you have to wait for the whistle. What dictates what is acceptable in each situation?

I would also like this clarified. Unless quick free-kicks are being eradicated?

2 minutes ago, SaintSteve said:

No he didn’t..Which it’s exactly why it’s disallowed. Unfortunately the Tella incident wasn’t a penalty either

BBC site take on it:

"The incident was really bizarre. Andre Mariner was looking at James Ward-Prowse standing on the free-kick.

Mariner turned away then put his whistle to his lips and seemed to blow just as Ward-Prowse played the ball through to Che Adams.

Leeds were static, were not ready for the kick to be taken but for some reason Mariner decided that he had actually NOT blown the whistle and asks Southampton to retake it". 

6 minutes ago, trousers said:

I'm more than happy to have a pop at the officials a when there's obvious ineptitude but I think they've made the right decisions so far (albeit marginal)

Completely agree. JWP kicked the ball before the whistle (no matter how marginal it was before the whistle) and Tells stuck his leg out looking for the pen.

If that was given against us we'd be going crazy.....ref got it right.

Just now, Manuel said:

I thought Prowse kicked it marginally before Mariner blew to be honest so Mariner wanted it brought back.  Like to see a replay though...

I think this as well sadly. 

Tella showing Redmond how to play football this half. It's embarrassing that Redmond is still in the first XI. I'm not even convinced he works that hard. There was a moment around the 25th minute where the ball bobbled in their box and he lightly jogged towards it. Two minutes later in the middle of the pitch he gentled dropped back again and Vestegaard ended up getting booked. Compare that to Tella who is racing back to help, or Djenepo on Saturday doing everything for the team. Redmond is more likely to throw his hands up in frustation.

I posted this before, and you can add an assist and a few more minutes, but Redmonds output for us has been gash> If ain't even as working as hard as others then what on earth is he doing out there.

Redmond- 11,515 EPL minutes for us- 19 goals, 12 assists

Armstrong-4,627 EPL minutes for us-11 goals, 7 assists

Shane Long- 9,339 EPL minutes for us - 27 goals, 20 assists

Tadic- 9, 617 EPL minutes- 21 goals, 30 assists

Djenepo - 1, 735' EPL minutes-3 goals, 2 assists

Che Adams - 2, 827' - EPL minutes - 8 goals, 7 assists.

Boufal - 3, 072'  EPL minutes - 3 goals 2 assists

On Romeu, that is one of the biggest dick tackles I have seen. 

• Like 1

Talk about a victim complex: Tella dived and Prowse took the free kick before the whistle. Sucks for us, but the rules were applied properly.

Decent first 20 minutes from us, but our lack of quality in the forward positions is painful. We got sloppy after that and Leeds were the more dangerous team overall. The amazing Romeu tackle glosses over how truly inept our defensive set up was from our own bloody free kick.

Assume we've run our race now and Leeds will eventually cash in on one of our myriad mistakes.

If we get through this match on a fucking ice rink without any injuries that'll be a result.

8 minutes ago, trousers said:

I'm more than happy to have a pop at the officials a when there's obvious ineptitude but I think they've made the right decisions so far (albeit marginal)

Agreed. Both decisions were right, we may not like them but it doesn’t mean they aren’t correct 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Leeds 3-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic