Leeds 3-0 Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

2 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Bednarek was pish at RB on saturday. That being said I still prefer him ahead of Stephens

I've seen a few mentions of Bednarek at right back. But he didn't play right back.

He was part of a 3, and he was the right sided centre back offering support to Moussa who was the Right wing back.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I've seen a few mentions of Bednarek at right back. But he didn't play right back.

He was part of a 3, and he was the right sided centre back offering support to Moussa who was the Right wing back.

No he wasn't, he played right back. In the very early part of the game it was three centre backs but after those opening minutes it was the normal 4222 formation. 

41 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think we fluctuated between a 4222 and 343 similarly to how Pep fluctuates between a back 3 and back 4 with an asymmetric deeper fullback and advanced fullback. In defense we were mainly a back three with wingbacks, going forward Djenepo was a lot lot more advanced than Bertrand and Bednarek pushed high about level to Bertrand making us look a lot more like a back four. This is why formations are pretty useless in modern football, most modern teams fluctuate between multiple formations depending on game state.

As for Bednarek's performance, he did great defensively and no one did well in attack as we had <30% possession. More than happy to see Bednarek at RB and Ings to keep playing as we were fine defensively and the lack of offense wasn't either of their faults, it was because we couldn't keep the ball in the middle which is mainly on JWP, Romeu and Minimino who were very sloppy with their passing.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/football-news/jan-bednarek-southampton-kyle-walker-5028892

"Moussa did not play at right-back, he played as a number ten" Hasenhuttl confirmed, amid suggestions that he would play the Mali star at wing-back against Chelsea.

"We kept the shape (4-2-2-2) with Jan Bednarek at right-back and I think this was good game management.

On Bednarek's right-back performance, he said: "It was good, I didn't see too many chances going down his side. He was good but his timing was not always perfect," he admitted.

"We had a few issues at the beginning but overall, after one week of training, to play such a game, it was more than I expected, to be honest."

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, trousers said:

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/football-news/jan-bednarek-southampton-kyle-walker-5028892

"Moussa did not play at right-back, he played as a number ten" Hasenhuttl confirmed, amid suggestions that he would play the Mali star at wing-back against Chelsea.

"We kept the shape (4-2-2-2) with Jan Bednarek at right-back and I think this was good game management.

On Bednarek's right-back performance, he said: "It was good, I didn't see too many chances going down his side. He was good but his timing was not always perfect," he admitted.

"We had a few issues at the beginning but overall, after one week of training, to play such a game, it was more than I expected, to be honest."

Regardless of what Ralph might say, we did not play a straightforward 4-2-2-2 or 3 at the back. We actually played very smartly a fluid back line with Bertrand slopping back into the back line as needed, and when he did the 3 CBs shifted across. Occasionally the opposite happened and Djenepo slipped into a RB role, and the others shifted across. We may have even had 5 at the back a little. It's diffIcult to say JB played traditional RB, but he certainly did at times. Was quite impressed with how the back line operated, very fluid and covering each other well. Beds was the one finding it most difficult, there were times he clearly wasn't sure who to mark but he didn't do much wrong. Djenepo was awful for the first 15-20 minutes but he really grew into the role and put in a massive performance. I'm guessing he is struggling to walk today, some of the treatment meeted out to him, would have made Brian O'Neil or John McGrath proud. 

52 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

No he wasn't, he played right back. In the very early part of the game it was three centre backs but after those opening minutes it was the normal 4222 formation. 

• Like 2

Hate trying to predict against Leeds...still scarred from many years ago. It will be a close game, but I think we will edge it if we’re able to get through the 2nd half unscathed. Would leave Ings in place purely because he will at least draw defenders away from other players. Heart says 2-1 Saints.

4 hours ago, StrangelyBrown said:

IMO he needs a break - he'll either continue to perform poorly or will break down completely. I'm not saying don't play him at all - just bring him on fresh against tiring legs and manage him through the next couple of weeks.

I agree. Make sure he's fresh and raring to go for the Cup match(es).

8 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Regardless of what Ralph might say, we did not play a straightforward 4-2-2-2 or 3 at the back. We actually played very smartly a fluid back line with Bertrand slopping back into the back line as needed, and when he did the 3 CBs shifted across. Occasionally the opposite happened and Djenepo slipped into a RB role, and the others shifted across. We may have even had 5 at the back a little. It's diffIcult to say JB played traditional RB, but he certainly did at times. Was quite impressed with how the back line operated, very fluid and covering each other well. Beds was the one finding it most difficult, there were times he clearly wasn't sure who to mark but he didn't do much wrong. Djenepo was awful for the first 15-20 minutes but he really grew into the role and put in a massive performance. I'm guessing he is struggling to walk today, some of the treatment meeted out to him, would have made Brian O'Neil or John McGrath proud. 

Yep, pretty much as I saw it. For the first 20 mins or so I had no idea where Djenepo was playing, and I don't think he was too sure either. He didn't play as one of our normal 10's would play, but he wasn't a wing back either.

Once we settled, Bednarek mostly covered the RB position, but stayed back and went central when needed. He got help at RB from Djenepo who carried the ball forward from that side and tried to be an outlet for balls out from the back. 

Whatever it was, or it worked. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, igsey said:

I think this will be a tough game, Leeds press like nobody else and all I can think of is that Man United game where they came out first half pressing hard and we really struggled. High scoring game I reckon.

If they press us hard do what Spurs did to us - keep a front two wide on either side of the pitch and bang balls up to them. Both Jan and Salisu are capable of hitting accurate long passes. Get Leeds defenders turned round and make hay 😀

• Like 1

Hopefully Phillips is out again, I don't think they have won a PL match without him this season.

They push lots of people forward so hopefully we are a lot better with the ball than vs Chelsea as can cause them some problems.

Will badly miss KWP composure bringing the ball out of defence.

I was only yesterday thinking of the days of Brian O'Niell and John Mc' Graph  (spelling?) and their tackling, when Lo and Behold a post appears on this thread, about them.

I remember cards in cereal packets written by the ex arsenal goalie  about various players attributes and one said O' Neill was the hardest tackler in the league.

Poor Fisher got a broken lag clashing with the same goalie.His broken bit of leg went at right angles  to the rest of his leg.           

21 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

I was only yesterday thinking of the days of Brian O'Niell and John Mc' Graph  (spelling?) and their tackling, when Lo and Behold a post appears on this thread, about them.

I remember cards in cereal packets written by the ex arsenal goalie  about various players attributes and one said O' Neill was the hardest tackler in the league.

Poor Fisher got a broken lag clashing with the same goalie.His broken bit of leg went at right angles  to the rest of his leg.           

Heroes all of them from the Alehouse Days. McGrath was a favourite player of mine.

Fisher wasn't the same after his broken leg though. 

31 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

Bielsa is the greatest manager ever to sit on a blue bucket and not bother learning a foreign language after 3 years in the country, how can we possibly beat them??

"Southampton can't afford to live in the same street as Leeds United and our supporters have to get used to it " - Ian Branfoot c 1991.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

LOL!!! Ralph lied about his system 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cloggy saint said:

Bielsa is the greatest manager ever to sit on a blue bucket and not bother learning a foreign language after 3 years in the country, how can we possibly beat them??

But he speaks fluent Esperanto and nobody over here understands it.😉

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Heroes all of them from the Alehouse Days. McGrath was a favourite player of mine.

Fisher wasn't the same after his broken leg though. 

Didy ou see how how John roughed up Steve Kindon of Burnley. I also remember a him having a  running battle with a Wolves forward and later  Colin Bell. Do you remember who else was in the team those days besides  Gabriele, Paine and Sydenham. Was Channon from that era?

44 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

Didy ou see how how John roughed up Steve Kindon of Burnley. I also remember a him having a  running battle with a Wolves forward and later  Colin Bell. Do you remember who else was in the team those days besides  Gabriele, Paine and Sydenham. Was Channon from that era?

My first couple of seasons following them I remember:

GK - Gurr/Martin FB: Kirkup and Hollywood (never particularly impressed with either),c1972/3 Steve Mills CB: John McGrath, Jimmy Gabriel (did a good cameo up front a couple of times), David Walker (Jim Steele from 1973 I think) MF: Fisher, O'Neill, Wing: Paine, Sydenham, then Jenkins   Forwards: Channon, Ron, occasional run outs for Frank Saul, Micky Judd Channon was breaking through when I started watching (69/70) by the end of the season he was a regular.

Of the GK - Gurr was meant to have great potential, Martin was the perfect'alehouse' keeper, always coming off his line to catch a high ball whilst showing the oncoming striker his studs.

Don't remember Kindon, but I do remember the header with Alun Evans that lead to Shankley's famous 'alehouse' comment. Also remember various players having a toe to toe with Mike Summerbee.

Probably some I've forgotten.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Totton Saint said:

My  , repetitive ! , memory of John Mc Garth was him fouling George Best at the Dell so many times GB picked the ball up and presented it Big John saying “ If you want it so much have it “  or words to that effect !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dorchester Saint said:

LOL!!! Ralph lied about his system 🤣

He didn't lie about his system. Surely you don't take every word he says as gospel do you? He's not MLG. No one who watched the match and has  even a modicum of understanding of systems and formations can possibly believe that we played 4-2-2-2 throughout that game.

2 hours ago, Badger said:

My first couple of seasons following them I remember:

GK - Gurr/Martin FB: Kirkup and Hollywood (never particularly impressed with either),c1972/3 Steve Mills CB: John McGrath, Jimmy Gabriel (did a good cameo up front a couple of times), David Walker (Jim Steele from 1973 I think) MF: Fisher, O'Neill, Wing: Paine, Sydenham, then Jenkins   Forwards: Channon, Ron, occasional run outs for Frank Saul, Micky Judd Channon was breaking through when I started watching (69/70) by the end of the season he was a regular.

Of the GK - Gurr was meant to have great potential, Martin was the perfect'alehouse' keeper, always coming off his line to catch a high ball whilst showing the oncoming striker his studs.

Don't remember Kindon, but I do remember the header with Alun Evans that lead to Shankley's famous 'alehouse' comment. Also remember various players having a toe to toe with Mike Summerbee.

Probably some I've forgotten.

Channon was 18 when he came into the team after we sold Chivers to Spurs. Saul came to us fromSpurs as a makeweight as part of the deal.. Yes Ron played up front with him . Kindon played  s center forward for Burnley against us. We got a penalty awarded to us in that game

19 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I was standing right behind that under the western stand. I knew it was going in all the way. 

So did I, but I'm pretty certain I was under the East Stand..

My memory of John McGrath, apart from his ability to clear the ball over the stands was wondering whether he modeled himself on Desperate Dan, or vice versa..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

So did I, but I'm pretty certain I was under the East Stand..

My memory of John McGrath, apart from his ability to clear the ball over the stands was wondering whether he modeled himself on Desperate Dan, or vice versa..

The sleeves were amazing. I have never seen anyway role them up so tightly and so far up the biceps. The opposition centre forward knew this guy meant business before a ball was kicked.

I remember the fonts of all knowledge and football experts on here passionately and eloquently stating that Salisu and Vestergaard won’t be played together by Ralph because they are both left footed and that couldn’t ever happen on a game of football played on the green stuff...

lol.

1 hour ago, Avenue_Saint said:

I remember the fonts of all knowledge and football experts on here passionately and eloquently stating that Salisu and Vestergaard won’t be played together by Ralph because they are both left footed and that couldn’t ever happen on a game of football played on the green stuff...

Vestergaard isn't left footed. He is good with his left foot, but he is right footed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

I am so confident that we have turned a corner I have invested in a Sky Sports Monthly pass. There are at least 5 games on Sky in the next month so seems like good value. All we need now Ralph is for your lads to deliver the bacon starting tonight!

Me too, but I make it only 4 games, what have I missed?

• Lighthouse changed the title to Leeds 3-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic