Other Games 21/22

whelk

40 minutes ago, rooney said:

Looks entirely dodgy but the PL will not have the b**ls to do anything about it.

No chance they'll do much except issue a relatively small fine. Leeds and Burnley obviously looking for points deducted but don't think that has ever happened? The league will be too scared in case they get follow up legal action that rumbles on.. 

Edited by BotleySaint

55 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

That leaves them wide open to expensive legal challenges!

So does actually applying the rules. Do you honestly think the Dugout Pioneers will be sanctioned, as at face value they have blatantly exceeded their permitted losses; how does ticket revenue of £14m per season equate to a Covid related write-off of £150m ?

• Like 1

From what I’ve read, it was auditors that signed off on Everton declaring that amount of losses due to covid, NOT the premier league.

I still doubt anything will happen points wise, but it’s not quite as cut and dried as it seems.

If Everton really have been cooking the books egregiously, I can see them being in the precarious position of being big enough for the premier league to use them to make a statement, and distant enough from the regular top six race that they’re not too big to fail.

Was in central London last night and there were Sunderland fans everywhere.  More so this morning.

Weirdly, chatted randomly to Grant Leadbitter (ex sunderland player) on the tube this morning.  Didn't even know who he was but he asked if I could take a picture at Baker Street station of him and his daughter, as we chatted a few mins about the amount of fans around.  Was only after loads of Sunderland fans were chanting his name as he walked off I recognised the name.

• Like 1

Interesting piece in The Athletic talking about how little things change on the final day, across the league title, the CL spots and the relegation places.

For the last ten seasons in a row absolutely nothing significant has changed on the final day. If you're in the relegation places in the morning of the last day you're down, ditto top four, ditto title. Going back further its incredibly rare for anything meaningful to happen.

Article picks out our relegation in 2004-5 as a rare day when things moved around on the day and changed for Norwich/WBA/Us.

($ubscribers only)

https://theathletic.com/3324649/2022/05/22/premier-league-table-final-day?source=user-shared-article

Edited by CB Fry

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Interesting piece in The Athletic talking about how little things change on the final day, across the league title, the CL spots and the relegation places.

For the last ten seasons in a row absolutely nothing significant has changed on the final day. If you're in the relegation places in the morning of the last day you're down, ditto top four, ditto title. Going back further its incredibly rare for anything meaningful to happen.

Article picks out our relegation in 2004-5 as a rare day when things moved around on the day and changed for Norwich/WBA/Us.

($ubscribers only)

https://theathletic.com/3324649/2022/05/22/premier-league-table-final-day?source=user-shared-article

Im expecting exciting day of rollercoaster changes as the fight for 15th draws to a close!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

15th out of 92 league clubs isn't bad

For perspective... Pompey finished 54th out of 92 clubs!

Now you put it that way, I’d really like us to aim at finishing in the top 20 of 92 next season as reckon it’ll be enough to still finish above Pompey.

• Haha 1

Excellent last day, if you didn't watch the Saints game (I switched over to City/Villa at 3-1).

Good job Leeds, glad to see them survive with Burnley going down, and Arsenal did us a favour to help us finish 15th and make our season look slightly less shit than it was.

City well deserved, Gerrard slip up costs Liverpool the title again etc.

I think Burnley are in serious trouble, their buyout was done by loading the club with debt and now they're going to be without PL money and must be struggling financially after Covid anyway. If they don't come straight back up I can see them copying our friends down the road and adding a subtle "Community" into their name.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Did the Great West Run in Exeter today and bugger me did I lose count of all the Liverpool shirts I saw.

Come on Man City!

We were in Weston-super-Mare today and bloody Liverpool shirts were everywhere. More shirts than tattoos. 

• Haha 1

After getting rogdered by Brendon, I just watched the F1 and then went to bed. Catching up on the relegation fight this morning, and that was actually quite a good last day battle. Stupid penalty to give away. Stupid red card. The nearest of misses by Waghourst, and then to cap it all little Matty Targett save from a certain goal. 

I felt a little sorry for Burnley at the end. But what a good run in the prem they have had. Hopefully the new owners are not as bad as the rumours. 

I remember how people who had never seen us play thought we were nuts for sacking Puel when in his last few months he was emptying the ground with negative tactics and setting up to try and scrape through every home game 0-0.

Other supporters just looked at the table and decided he must be a genius.

Now we have the band of social media experts who are saying Burnley should never have sacked Dyche.

He was taking them down, no doubt, set in stone - their points per game improvement since his sacking puts them 10th - the mistake they made was not sacking him earlier - while off the field their new owners are all over the show they were probably correct to change the dressing room.

Leeds too - fans were horrified when Bielsa went, but he was dragging them down with mad suicidal football that made us look tight at the back - he had no balance between entertaining and staying up, he had to go.

It's not always easy to comment on other sides if you don't see all of their games, but those two sackings appear justified, and the appointment of Lampard still looks like a huge gamble, so there could be some comedy left in the Everton is a Huge Club saga.

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

It could have been different. Thankfully, the on-field ref, along with VAR, were incompetent enough to not give this as handball (and a penalty)

5C7B6A0D-CA72-4193-8C0D-4FD4E0586F39.jpeg

Have the scousers started whinging about it yet? 

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

It could have been different. Thankfully, the on-field ref, along with VAR, were incompetent enough to not give this as handball (and a penalty)

5C7B6A0D-CA72-4193-8C0D-4FD4E0586F39.jpeg

I watched that game and I can see why it wasn't given. The ball span a bit as it bounced up off a bobble and changed the trajectory of it at the last moment. There was no deliberate movement of the arm towards the ball so that's why they said no penalty. 

It's not like it was going in and he stopped a certain goal though, and there's no guarantee Everton would have scored the penalty or City wouldn't have scored again if they did. And although I can't bring any to mind immediately, I'm sure there were numerous occasions when Liverpool benefited from some suspect refereeing decisions (probably involving Salah going down far too easily).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Brilliant. Watch the ticker at the bottom after 6 seconds.

BBC have been forced to apologise to Man Utd 🤣

BBC: "We apologise to Manchester United for our ticker saying they are rubbish. We of course meant to say Southampton."

On 23/05/2022 at 10:02, Whitey Grandad said:

They were whinging before it happened. 

Are they still whinging about Milner staying on pitch against City? They would have been hammered and no where near their lucky 2-2 at Anfield had the ref even been mildly competent

Edited by whelk
  • Like 1

What's everyone's take on the game then. Want Real to win, as its Liverpool, but don't really as no one likes Madrid? Liverpool favourites, but injury to Sala and slowish return takes the edge off them a little? Lots of goals, or anther 0-0?

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

What's everyone's take on the game then. Want Real to win, as its Liverpool, but don't really as no one likes Madrid? Liverpool favourites, but injury to Sala and slowish return takes the edge off them a little? Lots of goals, or anther 0-0?

I support Saints and anyone who is playing the scousers

A cheeky early season BBQ in the sun, as build up to the big game. Which I'm watching purely as an impartial, independent football fan.

Must say: chorizo goes great on a BBQ and the Estrella is perfectly chilled.

Honest. I just want a quality game, and no matter what happens: football is the winner.

Now where did I put my Sangria jug?