Other Games 21/22

whelk

Lampard at Everton reminds me of Hughes with us - grinding out results to keep their respective teams in the League while playing terrible football. I only hope that, like we did with Hughes, they keep faith in Lampard because, right now, I think he's overrated.

• Like 1

Everton fans will now be hoping for a City League/Real CL double now for a really good summer.

Burnley draw. It's in their hands but Leeds could get something at Brentford and Newcastle will be out to ruin Burnley's day.

4 minutes ago, nta786 said:

@Sheaf Saint this is why I always felt Everton were too good to go down! 

They have enough quality regardless of who is in charge, you can’t spend £500m like that and go down 

Yeah fair enough. They left it a bit late in the season to start showing it though. That run they went on from October was worse than anything we have managed in recent years.

But let's be honest, even in the games they have won recently they have looked mostly terrible and ridden their luck a bit, like beating Utd with their only shot on goal that took a wicked deflection.

They've got a big transfer window coming up now. They are very limited in what they can spend due to FFP, and Richarlison (who has probably kept them up single-handedly) will be off this summer guaranteed, as will DCL most likely as well. They will need to spend whatever they get for those two very wisely.

At HT Everton were staring down the barrel, but Palace absolutely dropped their balls in that second half. Their fans must be fuming for that second half effort, they were horrific.

I think Burnley's result is a good one for them, being above the line ahead of the final day is always a phycological boost. They're at home too, whilst Leeds are away.

Odds are against Leeds, you'd have to say. I never thought I'd say that at the start of the season.

Edited by S-Clarke

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

There should be a rule; if any supporters enter the pitch before the away players have left, their teams gets disqualified. It’s happening again at Port Vale.

It is getting a bit daft.

Did you just see the Viera incident? An everton fan approached him on the pitch, and Viera pretty much floored him. Not sure that ends well for either.

54 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Yeah fair enough. They left it a bit late in the season to start showing it though. That run they went on from October was worse than anything we have managed in recent years.

But let's be honest, even in the games they have won recently they have looked mostly terrible and ridden their luck a bit, like beating Utd with their only shot on goal that took a wicked deflection.

They've got a big transfer window coming up now. They are very limited in what they can spend due to FFP, and Richarlison (who has probably kept them up single-handedly) will be off this summer guaranteed, as will DCL most likely as well. They will need to spend whatever they get for those two very wisely.

Be interesting for sure. I don’t see them progressing much under lampard and if rumours are true Calvert Lewin is off and Richarlison wants out it’s going to be another relegation battle for them. Obviously they’ll get three points at home to us though 

12 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

There should be a rule; if any supporters enter the pitch before the away players have left, their teams gets disqualified. It’s happening again at Port Vale.

It is getting way out of hand.

14 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Bring back the fences!

30 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

It is getting way out of hand.

Cloughy gave a few pitch invaders a clump round the canniseter in the late 80s and was a hero for teaching them a lesson, he even got an apology off a couple of them. Shows how pathetic we are a society that Viera gives some little mug, who was breaking ground regulations, a boot and the soppy sky mugs are saying “oh we don’t want to see that” bollocks to that, we do want to see it, and fair play to viera for doing ir. 

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Cloughy gave a few pitch invaders a clump round the canniseter in the late 80s and was a hero for teaching them a lesson, he even got an apology off a couple of them. Shows how pathetic we are a society that Viera gives some little mug, who was breaking ground regulations, a boot and the soppy sky mugs are saying “oh we don’t want to see that” bollocks to that, we do want to see it, and fair play to viera for doing ir. 

I'm probably wrong, but I remember it being the other way around, didn't Clough have to apologise to the scrote and they appeared together, all smiles, on football focus or something? 

Anyway, good for Viera, why should he endanger himself by being passive?? And to the twat that wanted a piece of Viera, really? Unfortunately he's going to pay for it.

Fair play to Everton for fighting themselves out of it. We don't have that sort of mentality.

Lucky for them though that in the space of seven games they got Chelsea, Leicester, Spurs and Palace to basically down tools for them.

Very fortunate.

7 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

At least another team in palace have a weak mentality

But still came back to beat us the other week 😅

Everton are still fcuked next season unless they sell players for big money, they still having FFP issues.

7 hours ago, Turkish said:

I think BC had to actually apologise on some devised tv stunt that had him kissing the offender. I guess it was that to avoid further action. Im sure the great man only agreed because he had no choice really. 

What a shame Palace couldn't muster the same fight as their boss in the second half. 

An abject, disinterested 45 minutes let Everton off the hook. 

Oh well. Feels like the season ended weeks ago anyway. 

At least its a world cup year so we don't have to wait too long.............Oh

2 hours ago, Noodles34 said:

I think BC had to actually apologise on some devised tv stunt that had him kissing the offender. I guess it was that to avoid further action. Im sure the great man only agreed because he had no choice really. 

Maybe he did then, i definitely rememeber a couple of forest fans apologising to him, perhaps it was a bit of both, long time ago.

58 minutes ago, Dman said:

We’re actually going to finish below Everton, aren’t we. Which is Incredible when you think about it.

They don't win away so I find it unlikely they will in away to Arsenal anyway, but not really seeing how it would be 'incredible', they have spent like £600 million over the last 5 years, they should be nowhere near us. 

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

They don't win away so I find it unlikely they will in away to Arsenal anyway, but not really seeing how it would be 'incredible', they have spent like £600 million over the last 5 years, they should be nowhere near us. 

They could easily get a draw against Arsenal, who have been rubbish for the last 2 games, which would put them ahead of us. 

It’s incredible when you consider form and league table 10 or so games ago. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dman said:

They could easily get a draw against Arsenal, who have been rubbish for the last 2 games, which would put them ahead of us. 

Lot can change in more than a quarter of the season.

8 minutes ago, Dman said:

It's also incredible that they've won more games than us this season. 9 wins in 38 games is bloody awful when you think about it.

After finishing bottom of our race for 9th mini league we could cap a terrible finish to the season by somehow managing to finish one place below that league, overtaken by a team who looked nailed on for relegation 4 weeks ago.

Edited by Turkish

I'd rather Burnley go down I think, they are a harder team to play than Leeds and sadly I'm hoping for all the weakest teams to be in the PL next season to help us in the inevitable relegation fight. I was rooting for Luton to come up but alas.

10 minutes ago, igsey said:

I'd rather Burnley go down I think, they are a harder team to play than Leeds and sadly I'm hoping for all the weakest teams to be in the PL next season to help us in the inevitable relegation fight. I was rooting for Luton to come up but alas.

Can someone remind me when we faced our last relegation battle?

38 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Can someone remind me when we faced our last relegation battle?

Those last eight games of 2017-18, when Hughes really didn't do much better after he replaced Pellegrino. Those were some turgid displays. 

St Johnstone are comfortably beating Inverness Cale Thistle in the play off to get into the Scottish Premiership. Having won a Cup  double not that long ago, I can only guess it's been a poor season for St Johnstone in the league, rather than a massive gulf between the two divisions. Maybe a bit of both though.

2 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

The Price of Football podcast said that Everton had claimed massively more losses than other clubs due to covid. That can be interpreted as a way of trying to dodge some of the profit and sustainability rules.

Yeh it's the question of losses written off due to Covid, they have written of something like 3 times the amount Villa and other similar sized clubs have, and pre-covid accounts only had around £14 million in match day revenue for a season, so not having fans can't have impacted them that much. 

Something dodgy going on, Athletic reckon it'll be the biggest PL legal issue since the Tevez/Mascherano affair with West Ham where I think West Ham ended up paying £20 million to Sheff Utd. 

40 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Yeh it's the question of losses written off due to Covid, they have written of something like 3 times the amount Villa and other similar sized clubs have, and pre-covid accounts only had around £14 million in match day revenue for a season, so not having fans can't have impacted them that much. 

Something dodgy going on, Athletic reckon it'll be the biggest PL legal issue since the Tevez/Mascherano affair with West Ham where I think West Ham ended up paying £20 million to Sheff Utd. 

Yet another sad day for sporting integrity, if there ever was such a thing.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dman said:

I have it on very good authority the entire squad was out getting smashed at a club in Manchester til the early hours after the game on Thursday.

I seriously doubt they will be getting any change out of Arsenal who still need a win to have any chance of securing a CL spot.