Other Games 21/22

whelk

International football in general is quite dull. I rarely watch it outside of tournaments where you get the odd exciting game.

I have very limited interest in England. Would be different if I went to games but no way I'm spending that much cash on matches and sitting through horrendous friendlies to get enough caps for away games.

Just now, The Cat said:

International football in general is quite dull. I rarely watch it outside of tournaments where you get the odd exciting game.

I have very limited interest in England. Would be different if I went to games but no way I'm spending that much cash on matches and sitting through horrendous friendlies to get enough caps for away games.

Exactly how I feel about England. Can take it or leave it

18 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Thick players like mount do my head in. Absolutely no reason to lunge for the ball there 

He’s so over rated. He’s good for Chelsea against shit teams. I’m not a fan of Saka either, not the brightest. Foden miles ahead of both.

Mount really seems to struggle at International level, maybe it's just a step too far for him. Always seems a bit lost.

Not sure what the Saka hype is all about either, never seen much from him. Maybe it's just me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Suhari said:

The defence for that goal! 😄

Like watching Saints. 

The goal scorer, Jonas Hofmann, was part of the Borussia Mönchengladbach team that outclassed Saints 3-0 at St Mary's 4 years ago. We had a back three of Hoedt, Vestergaard and Bednarek with McCarthy in goal. No wonder they waltzed through our defence. We've seen so many great young players in those pre-season friendlies at St Mary's but our club scouts never seem to notice any of them. I remember being very impressed by a young Antoine Griezmann when he came on as a sub in one of them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

That cluster fuck of a freekick when you have JWP sat on the bench ffs.

Complete mess.  Every corner has been woeful as well, what on earth is the Trippier, Saka corner routine meant to achieve other than we have one less attacking player in the box.  We'd just as well go back to Kane taking corners...!

16 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Mount really seems to struggle at International level, maybe it's just a step too far for him. Always seems a bit lost.

Not sure what the Saka hype is all about either, never seen much from him. Maybe it's just me.

No to both of these for me. I really think it's just a case of Southgate just being tactically awful. 

It's not Mount's fault or saka's fault. We could have Messi, mbappe, and neymar up front and we'd still play 7 defensive players and 3 attackers playing in opposing 3rds of the pitch and be outnumbered in both with walking tempo passing. 

Mount and saka are both class players in an attack minded team that has some form of cohesion and keeps the ball. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

The goal scorer, Jonas Hofmann, was part of the Borussia Mönchengladbach team that outclassed Saints 3-0 at St Mary's 4 years ago. We had a back three of Hoedt, Vestergaard and Bednarek with McCarthy in goal. No wonder they waltzed through our defence. We've seen so many great young players in those pre-season friendlies at St Mary's but our club scouts never seem to notice any of them. I remember being very impressed by a young Antoine Griezmann when he came on as a sub in one of them.

Good points! I vaguely remember the game: must've blocked out the details.

That back 3 and keeper: how did we end up with that carcrash?!!

(Off topic I know, but still...)

3 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

England were transformed when Grealish replaced Mount. 

Agreed. But think it has a lot more to do with England chasing the game with 10min left and actually committing men forward with the fresh legs of bowen and grealish. As opposed to saka and mount playing in a team with 7 defensive players and no support... Depends if you blame some of the most gifted players in the prem or a championship level manager who can't use them. 

Edited by Saint86

He was offside when Grealish played the ball but then a German player diverted it to him so in my book by the current rules that’s onside as Grealish wasn’t playing it to Kane?

Edited by maysie

19 minutes ago, Matty's Caddy said:

Saka, rice, Bellingham, mount, Phillips, Stirling. 
absolutely bang average players. 
really dont see what Southgate sees in these

Bellingham and Rice are not average players,  I also don't get what formation we were playing at the end, Stones Maguire , Walker, Trippier and I think Bellingham right back, so a right back at Lb, a box to box cm playing rb, although Reese James on bench, Sterlling doing absolutely f*** all,  Southgate really is so tactically inept

9 minutes ago, maysie said:

He was offside when Grealish played the ball but then a German player diverted it to him so in my book by the current rules that’s onside as Grealish wasn’t playing it to Kane?

100% correct. I can't believe so many people missed it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, maysie said:

Did the ball deflect off the German player or did he deliberately play it? (Reference: the Fabhino / Benzema incident in the champions League final)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matty's Caddy said:

Saka, rice, Bellingham, mount, Phillips, Stirling. 
absolutely bang average players. 
really dont see what Southgate sees in these

Bellingham is class, he's already a level above anything else England have in midfield IMO, probably go for over £100 million I reckon. 

Also they are glorified friendlies in June after a long season, I wouldn't read too much into them. 

2 hours ago, trousers said:

Did the ball deflect off the German player or did he deliberately play it? (Reference: the Fabhino / Benzema incident in the champions League final)

He deliberately played it in my opinion - he was stretching for it

Edited by maysie

9 hours ago, trousers said:

Penalty, but wasn't Kane in an offside position before being fouled?

9 hours ago, Colinjb said:

Yes, don't understand how that was given.

9 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

Yes, by at least a yard, but they never noticed.

9 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

That is what I thought 

9 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

Yep, crazy, the ref even had the chance close-up at the monitor to see Kane offside...still, I'll take it.

9 hours ago, Saint86 said:

He was, we got very lucky.

9 hours ago, Killers Knee said:

Gifted a VAR penalty when the VAR Crew + Ref should have noticed Kane was offside.  England is not a pretty watch, one of the dullest squads in memory but seems to have more luck than ability.

The defender clearly played the ball in a deliberate action. Not lucky at all, 100% a penalty.