Other Games 21/22

whelk

I'd be tempted to give Yarmolenko a year or two on a free transfer, if he'd take a reasonable wage. This is his 40th appearance of the season, so his fitness seems to be passable at least, and he's undoubtedly a class above any of our current number tens. Wand of a left foot.

• Haha 1

Just now, Lighthouse said:

I'd be tempted to give Yarmolenko a year or two on a free transfer, if he'd take a reasonable wage. This is his 40th appearance of the season, so his fitness seems to be passable at least, and he's undoubtedly a class above any of our current number tens. Wand of a left foot.

I was thinking the same, but wasn't he on £150,000 a week at West Ham? Doubt he'd drop enough to fit in our wage structure.

56 minutes ago, Victor said:

Why all the booing throughout the game? Is it what Scottish fans do?

image.gif.1286620b747062990224c99e3099bf3d.gif

Was channel hopping on my iptv and came across some random match between Argentina and Italy being played at Wembley for some trophy I’d never heard of. Looked like a full house pretty much due to the appeal of Messi. Italy were shit, don’t know where that crap side was when we played them last summer.

3 hours ago, bpsaint said:

image.gif.1286620b747062990224c99e3099bf3d.gif

Was channel hopping on my iptv and came across some random match between Argentina and Italy being played at Wembley for some trophy I’d never heard of. Looked like a full house pretty much due to the appeal of Messi. Italy were shit, don’t know where that crap side was when we played them last summer.

Correct, I had the privilege of being able to attend at Wembley.

Honestly Messi was the star of the show just glides past players with ease.

However what hurt more is not beating that Italy team last summer, they were bang average if we just attacked them more.

6 hours ago, bpsaint said:

Another made up game with the sole purpose to make money. Look forward to the 'player burn out' whinge soon enough.

13 hours ago, nta786 said:

Correct, I had the privilege of being able to attend at Wembley.

Honestly Messi was the star of the show just glides past players with ease.

However what hurt more is not beating that Italy team last summer, they were bang average if we just attacked them more.

More of the same from Southgate this winter too .. 

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

More of the same from Southgate this winter too .. 

What, get to the final of a major tournament like no one else had done for more than 50 years?

Would be nice for more of that, yes.

• Like 2

On 01/06/2022 at 04:21, skintsaint said:

Love how he hand picked her out from Facebook rather than going through the Government scheme.

Looking at the slap Sofia will likely turn out to be Bohuslav, an unemployed panel beater from Odesa. Tony should have checked out the hands.

Not another game, but Aston Villa lost their assistant manager, who became manager of QPR this week, so they replaced him with Blackpool's manager. They're moving very fast this summer and on paper it all looks impressive.

22 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Not another game, but Aston Villa lost their assistant manager, who became manager of QPR this week, so they replaced him with Blackpool's manager. They're moving very fast this summer and on paper it all looks impressive.

Critchley and Gerrard know each other from Liverpool u18 and u23s. Still leaving a mid table championship managers job for an assistant role at a mid table PL side is hardy a step forward in his career

15 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Critchley and Gerrard know each other from Liverpool u18 and u23s. Still leaving a mid table championship managers job for an assistant role at a mid table PL side is hardy a step forward in his career

A higher wage and potentially step closer to returning to Liverpool as 1st team assistant manager.

On 02/06/2022 at 22:16, HarvSFC said:

Beale, who is now the QPR manager had a stint out in Brazil, assistant manager to Ceni at Sau Paulo in what was supposed for a couple of years worldly experience after coaching at Liverpool and Chelsea academies.  It only lasted six months.  He highly rated Lyanco when he moved to Torino in 2017!

6 minutes ago, The Cat said:

I had no idea England were playing today and only noticed there was a game on when I was scrolling through Twitter just now.

They aren't playing, so far. It's been really awful and disjointed. Too many ok the beach already.

I've just given up on it; we look totally devoid of ideas and fluidity.How KWP can't make that squad is beyond me?  The Leicester guy looked out of his depth and Trippier is on the bench despite no playing for anyone for months.

What it does show me is that if Hungary are anything to go by, Europe is stacked full of fast, technically excellent players who I've never heard of.  So when the transfer window opens I'd be quite happy to see us making signings from around the so-called lower (less competitive) leagues.

24 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Got a sky sports newsflash England players believed to be booed when taking the knee. When will the nonsense end

Ok I'll play.  By nonsense do you mean the taking the knee or the booing?

13 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

What it does show me is that if Hungary are anything to go by, Europe is stacked full of fast, technically excellent players who I've never heard of.  So when the transfer window opens I'd be quite happy to see us making signings from around the so-called lower (less competitive) leagues.

Hungary are a good team, they can more than hold their own against anyone. The guy who scored against us is a big talent, he's been moved between the RB clubs and is at Lipzig now. Probably odds on for a big money move in the next 18 months.

Will Orban I've always been a huge fan of, a no-nonsense centre back who just does his job. He was captain for Ralph in his RB team. The other centre back Szalai was someone we were linked with last year, plays in Turkey now.

I still don't get the Southgate love in. You don't play 5 at the back with 2 CDM's against Hungary with the squad we've got. We clearly have an abundance of midfield quality but instead we're starting with two right backs. I don't understand the logic.

Edited by Disco Stu

Just now, Disco Stu said:

I still don't get the Southgate love in. You don't play 5 at the back with 2 CDM's against Hungary with the squad we've got. We clearly have an abundance of midfield quality but instead we're starting with two right backs. I don't understand the logic.

It was very disjointed to be honest. The midfield two just didn't work at all. The full backs were dross, even after the subs.

Mount kept giving the ball away, Kane was isolated and wasn't holding it up. Bowen ran around a lot, a committed player but very low in quality.

We had absolutely no one to really stretch it, it was very one dimensional and one-paced.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

He is a defender by nature 

Southgate 'clearly' saving JWP, nominee for England's player of the season, for the bigger Germany game.  😄 He's come a long way since only getting starts against the crapper nations. I hope he has a good game if he does start as it'll give him confidence leading us next season as the WC approaches. Or adds £10 million to his transfer fee... 

47 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

If you can take the time to read it, this is why Southgate's defensive approach is ultimately working:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/nov/14/southgates-pragmatic-shaping-of-england-is-recipe-for-success-at-international-level

7 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Ahh the Southgate and ralph love in rumbles on and on and on and on and on .. club n country won’t win fuck all with these clowns 🤡 at the wheels !! 

It's going to absolutely blow your mind when you find out what club and country have won before those clowns were at the wheel.

• Like 1