Other Games 21/22

whelk

French news today having a big review of the problems at the Stade de France.

The French police say 30,000 fans without tickets or with forgeries trying to get in. The panelists blamed the police for their reaction.  

Liverpool fans had paper tickets, where as the Madrid fans had electronic tickets, so no forgeries.

I am amazed at how bad the organisation from Uefa was. I was a volunteer for the Euros in 2016, and the preparation was immense.  I can't understand why the stewardship was so inadequate this time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Kraken said:

A bit?! That an understatement!

What a basket case of a club. You love to see it. Glory glory indeed….

David Moyes must have a quiet smile to himself everytime the Old Trafford managers door goes through a revolution 51 games is all they gave him.
Fergie didn’t get much wrong maybe they should have not been so hasty. That said Moyes should have stuck with Mike Phelan it would have made thinks easier for him. 

9 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Rangnick now not taking on consultancy role

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61625695

Perhaps his less than stellar run after Ole went, has resulted in a change of heart. Or perhaps Ten Hag wasn't keen.

Whatever the reason, a bit of a shambles.

Sounds like that horrible clique of player-power morons have got rid of yet another 'voice'. Rangnick said it how it was, so rather than play up for the manger they down tools for him and then ensure the club ditch him in any capacity for next season.

Ten Haag has a very toxic job there. The players will probably get him gone in 6 months tops.

2 hours ago, redkeith said:

French news today having a big review of the problems at the Stade de France.

The French police say 30,000 fans without tickets or with forgeries trying to get in. The panelists blamed the police for their reaction.  

Liverpool fans had paper tickets, where as the Madrid fans had electronic tickets, so no forgeries.

I am amazed at how bad the organisation from Uefa was. I was a volunteer for the Euros in 2016, and the preparation was immense.  I can't understand why the stewardship was so inadequate this time.

Funny how they've not retrieved any fake tickets 

11 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Who are ‘they’?

What makes you say this?

If you are trying to make a point, what is it?

Presumably the French authorities and/or uefa. If this really was a fake ticket issue surely they'd be in possession of some fakes and be quick to show them?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, egg said:

Presumably the French authorities and/or uefa. If this really was a fake ticket issue surely they'd be in possession of some fakes and be quick to show them?

The fans say at pre stadium check points only a visual check was done before they were allowed to progress to the turnstiles. It was only at the turnstile that the tickets were put under the scanner and rejected , could be forgery or could be scanner not reading the code . Either way the truth won’t come out until blame has been apportioned months down the line .

It has been said that the local boys had been mugging pool fans for their tickets etc as well as climbing over the perimeter fences to get in .

Edited by East Kent Saint

Just now, RedArmy said:

They have. 

One ticket. They've treated a huge number of fans as if they were all holding fakes. I'm no fan of Liverpool or their fans, but as a football fan, the treatment of those people was a disgrace. There'll be fake tickets at almost every event or match, but I'm struggling to accept it was on this scale, and that the treatment of the fans was necessary. 

2 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

The fans say at pre stadium check points only a visual check was done before they were allowed to progress to the turnstiles. It was only at the turnstile that the tickets were put under the scanner and rejected , could be forgery or could be scanner not reading the code . Either way the truth won’t come out until blame has been apportioned months down the line .

Andy Robertson's mate springs to my mind. Gifted a pukka ticket. Was told it was a fake. The only explanations are some technical issue or that he sold a proper ticket and bought a fake. Only one of those explanations makes sense to me.

2 minutes ago, egg said:

Andy Robertson's mate springs to my mind. Gifted a pukka ticket. Was told it was a fake. The only explanations are some technical issue or that he sold a proper ticket and bought a fake. Only one of those explanations makes sense to me.

I assume it’s possible for a legit ticket to have been reprinted/copied/screenshotted and sent around or resold to multiple people. Obviously the barcode readers won’t let you in if your ticket has already been scanned in, which will just lead to angry arguments with the stewards.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, egg said:

One ticket. They've treated a huge number of fans as if they were all holding fakes. I'm no fan of Liverpool or their fans, but as a football fan, the treatment of those people was a disgrace. There'll be fake tickets at almost every event or match, but I'm struggling to accept it was on this scale, and that the treatment of the fans was necessary. 

Sometimes your reputation precedes you. 

I saw quite a few tweets in the week advertising blag tickets, the authorities would have seen them too and the more and more fake tickets that were getting rejected they had to do something about it. The scousers would have got more agitated and then it escalated. 

You can’t be a set of fans with a reputation for turning up as late as possible en mass to try and jib in hoping they relax ticket checks to get everyone in on time and then cry foul when someone actually tries to stop you for once. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I assume it’s possible for a legit ticket to have been reprinted/copied/screenshotted and sent around or resold to multiple people. Obviously the barcode readers won’t let you in if your ticket has already been scanned in, which will just lead to angry arguments with the stewards.

Fair point. 

37 minutes ago, egg said:

There will be an investigation in due course after which those responsible will be exonerated one way or another, maybe even because they did nothing wrong. There’s no rush.

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Not forgetting the hologram on genuine tickets as per banknotes .

2 hours ago, egg said:

It is such a sign of the times that people switch off to any empirical evidence as well as ignoring multiple credible journalists’ accounts as cos ‘they like hate Liverpool and scousers’. I also heard many scousers were pissing on disabled people in order to get them to leave their seats.  “The Truth”

Armchair morons who don’t get out much

• Like 1

The first time we played Arsenal at the new stadium I was refused entry with a legitimate ticket, so it can happen.  A combination of being with my 12 year old, being able to speak the same language and showing them an email confirming payment & my saints account on my phone meant I got in ok. I imagine it would have been a bit tougher trying to reason with riot police in French, when there were thousands pushing, rushing to get in. Add to that the fact that Le Plod probably had preconceived views on English supporters and you’re basically fucked. It can’t be beyond the wit and wisdom of man to have a safe ticketing system and set up rings around the stadium. 

• Like 2

Seems to me that there were a lot of fans who travelled without tickets. I was listening to a podcast today and apparently at a final before, the gates were opened to let all in.

By doing this it just encouraged people in the future to turn up.

I dislike Liverpool as much as anybody but they general fan was well behaved and treated appallingly. Anyone who had been at Hillsborough will have had terrible flashbacks

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

Seems to me that there were a lot of fans who travelled without tickets. I was listening to a podcast today and apparently at a final before, the gates were opened to let all in.

By doing this it just encouraged people in the future to turn up.

I dislike Liverpool as much as anybody but they general fan was well behaved and treated appallingly. Anyone who had been at Hillsborough will have had terrible flashbacks

I read in The Times today that Real Madrid had exercised the option to use digital tickets but Liverpool FC declined.

"Meanwhile, it has emerged Liverpool turned down the option of using digital tickets for the final in the belief that it would be open to abuse.

Liverpool thought that the QR codes on offer would add another layer of complexity so requested paper tickets for their fans. Real Madrid chose to take up the digital option."

And...

"Real Madrid supporters have recalled similar stories to Liverpool fans over the treatment they received at the Champions League final on Saturday, dismissing the notion the issues were solely caused by fans of the Premier League club.

Real fans have spoken of similar bottleneck problems when entering the Stade de France and corroborated tales that those jumping security barriers were young locals rather than ticket-holders from either club.

Supporters also spoke of their horror after the game when some fans were targeted by thieves as they made their way out of the stadium.

The French sports minister Amélie Oudéa-Castéra blamed the chaotic scenes on what she said were 40,000 Liverpool fans without tickets or with fake tickets. She doubled down on her argument on Monday.

“The fact that the Real Madrid club has supervised the coming of its supporters to Paris to such an extent, by scheduling buses from the airport and organising everything from start to finish — which contrasted sharply with what the Liverpool club did, letting its supporters out in the wild — made a huge difference,” she said.

43 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I read in The Times today that Real Madrid had exercised the option to use digital tickets but Liverpool FC declined.

"Meanwhile, it has emerged Liverpool turned down the option of using digital tickets for the final in the belief that it would be open to abuse.

Liverpool thought that the QR codes on offer would add another layer of complexity so requested paper tickets for their fans. Real Madrid chose to take up the digital option."

And...

"Real Madrid supporters have recalled similar stories to Liverpool fans over the treatment they received at the Champions League final on Saturday, dismissing the notion the issues were solely caused by fans of the Premier League club.

Real fans have spoken of similar bottleneck problems when entering the Stade de France and corroborated tales that those jumping security barriers were young locals rather than ticket-holders from either club.

Supporters also spoke of their horror after the game when some fans were targeted by thieves as they made their way out of the stadium.

The French sports minister Amélie Oudéa-Castéra blamed the chaotic scenes on what she said were 40,000 Liverpool fans without tickets or with fake tickets. She doubled down on her argument on Monday.

“The fact that the Real Madrid club has supervised the coming of its supporters to Paris to such an extent, by scheduling buses from the airport and organising everything from start to finish — which contrasted sharply with what the Liverpool club did, letting its supporters out in the wild — made a huge difference,” she said.

Amazing, I would think having a hologram would have been the best option. Granty posted that probably once the QR code was used once, it would stop any others of that code, so if someone holding the counter fit arrived before the genuine ticket , it would make the genuine one null and void (I hope that is how he put it)

I wish I'd put a bet on the CL final the other day, I said to my mate it'd be nil nil at half time and Courtois would get MOTM. 😒

Anyway I'll be keeping an eye on Scotland tomorrow. I'm not Scottish but the world would want Ukraine to win this (bar Russia) and I'd like to see Scotland fight it out with Wales for a place in the WC.

Edited by SNSUN

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

I wish I'd put a bet on the CL final the other day, I said to my mate it'd be nil nil at half time and Courtois would get MOTM. 😒

Anyway I'll be keeping an eye on Scotland tomorrow. I'm not Scottish but the world would want Ukraine to win this (bar Russia) and I'd like to see Scotland fight it out with Wales for a place in the WC.

One of those games where don’t mind who wins. Could anyone begrudge Ukrainians getting little bit of joy?

4 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Love how he hand picked her out from Facebook rather than going through the Government scheme.

No question that he was putting the groundwork in online long before she turned up on their doorstep.

11 hours ago, whelk said:

One of those games where don’t mind who wins. Could anyone begrudge Ukrainians getting little bit of joy?

I do, England get the winner of this game + the play off. I.e Wales, Scotland or Ukraine… 

I’m not one for the sympathy vote, so easiest game possible for England please (Scotland or Wales).

5 hours ago, Dman said:

I do, England get the winner of this game + the play off. I.e Wales, Scotland or Ukraine… 

I’m not one for the sympathy vote, so easiest game possible for England please (Scotland or Wales).

I'm not sure how you work that out. Last summer in the Euros we won 4 nil in Ukraine but limped to a miserable 0 -0 with Scotland.

Add in the traditional Scottish / Welsh hostility to England and I would prefer Ukraine any day.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Always liked that Yaremchuk, would like to see him at Saints.

I said as much last summer when he was still at Gent, had a cracking Euros for them. Sadly that ship has now sailed with him being at Benfica.

Just now, Lighthouse said:

I said as much last summer when he was still at Gent, had a cracking Euros for them. Sadly that ship has now sailed with him being at Benfica.

Yeah must have been the Euros I saw him as I wouldn't have seen any of him at Gent or Benfica.