Other Games 21/22

whelk

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

The defender clearly played the ball in a deliberate action. Not lucky at all, 100% a penalty.

Kane is offside as the ball is played by Grealish, it comes off the defender within a second, and deflects towards Kane. No one even controls the ball before it leaving Grealish's foot and it reaching Kane - its all part of the same pass, albeit deflected. I'm not even sure there is significant contact on Kane for it to be a pen, looks like he slipped to me every time i watch it. All in all, that's a very lucky pen for England to have been given for me, and one I could easily see VAR not giving. Kane took the pen well though after a reasonable pause, so fair play for that.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Although the performance from England was poor, at least they took the knee, Kane had a rainbow colour armband - like the colours of the stadium, and Ch4’s coverage was excellently diverse.

A night to be proud of for sure.

Whether the defender's touch is deliberate is irrelevant in this case.

When the ball is played to Kane he is offside, flag should go up, free kick.

Had he had been onside when the ball is played to him, but in an offside position when the ball is deflected to him, then he is not offside.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Victor said:

Had he had been onside when the ball is played to him, but in an offside position when the ball is deflected to him, then he is not offside.

Agree he was definitely offside, not even mentioned on the commentary and ref surely saw that when looking at VAR, I must be missing something. 

32 minutes ago, Victor said:

It is not an offence to be in an offside position.

These officials know what they are doing.

35 minutes ago, Victor said:

The ball wasn’t played to Kane it was to Sterling -the defender then intercepted and it went to Kane

12 hours ago, maysie said:

The ball wasn’t played to Kane it was to Sterling -the defender then intercepted and it went to Kane

Ooops! Sorry, I missed him saying "Here you are, Raheem, this one's for you not for Harry because he's in an offside position, Okay, ref, did you get that?"

Is that right about the latest round of premier league awards?

6 Liverpool players in the team of the year. Salah wins player of the year and Klopp Manager of the year.

And some media pundits do not agree with Guardiola’s view on Liverpool bias!

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

6 Liverpool players in the team of the year. Salah wins player of the year and Klopp Manager of the year.

Insanity! I appreciate Man City rotate more so have less stand out players but there are some odd choices there. How Son doesn't get included is beyond me

• Like 2

They didn't even win anything ffs.

They certainly didn't do it on a 'budget' either. I hate the way the media paint them, the plucky underdogs going about it the right way.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

Yep, they've even included "Trent" in the team of the year FFS :facepalm:

Man City only had 3 included. Rudiger and Ronaldo the other two :facepalm:

5 minutes ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Insanity! I appreciate Man City rotate more so have less stand out players but there are some odd choices there. How Son doesn't get included is beyond me

Mane and Ronaldo included over Son, ridiculous.

This is the team. I'd go Son over Ronaldo every day, Declan Rice over Thaigo. Surely you have to go Ederson in goal and Walker right back?

There is an outside shout for Kane over Salah based on the second half of the season. Spurs kind aof went under the radar, but their form second half of the season was Top 2.

Remember this is voted for by their fellow professionals though. That includes people down in league 2 who might not even watch much premier league football. Plus if they support a team, it's far more likely to be Liverpool than City so there may be some bias there. To add to that, they vote quite early in the season (so before Salah's form dropped off). Basically it's just a team of famous players that people have heard of.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

He scored for us against Man United, Chelsea and West Ham. I'd rather see him coming on in the final 10 minutes of a game than Shane Long.

He’s a substandard player at this level, with a questionable attitude to boot. He’s found his level in the Championship, there’s no remorse from me on this.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

He’s a substandard player at this level, with a questionable attitude to boot. He’s found his level in the Championship, there’s no remorse from me on this.

If he played 30/35 Premier League games a season, how many goals do you reckon he’d score?

Got to be around 8-12 which is what you’d expect from a £20m player at current rates. Potentially the right decision to let go re attitude but definitely too cheap.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChrisPY said:

If he played 30/35 Premier League games a season, how many goals do you reckon he’d score?

Got to be around 8-12 which is what you’d expect from a £20m player at current rates. Potentially the right decision to let go re attitude but definitely too cheap.

It does seem like being released has had a positive effect on him. Whether that’s more due to also stepping down a league, time will tell. But he’s still only 21 years old so he’s doing well. As it stands now, I’d much rather him in reserve than Shane Long. But he clearly wasn’t to get game time under Ralph so, for him, he needed to leave.  It may well turn out to be the wrong decision, it may turn out that he’s a Championship level striker.

22 minutes ago, ChrisPY said:

He's only just managed 12 in the Championship, so no I don't think he's worth £20m or that he'd replicate his form if he made the step back up. It's not definitely too cheap either, Swansea incurred the risk of investing in him they might also stand to profit if he improves and they sell him. That's just football, you can't just sell every player at the maximum price of what they might be worth, otherwise Hoedt would have set us back £80m.

4 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

The racist abuse starting early I see. Shame on you.

Well I can even that up by saying how Shit I think Mason Mount is. Great against crap premier league teams, offers little against decent opposition 

• Like 1

No thrust or drive from JWP just his usual backwards and sideways safety first passes. Disappointing performance. Risk averse midfield tonight left the strikers with nothing to work on. This generation of players may have peaked last year and now look match weary and bereft of ideas. Easy night for Italy who just sat back and played for a point.

Ramsdale the best England player and looks decent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChrisPY said:

Well now, let's see based on the available evidence............... He played 32 games for us in total in the Premier League. He scored 4 goals in those games. Based on that I reckon he'd score about 4 goals a season if he played 30/35 games a season.

Think I’d be inclined to take a mega money offer for JWP based on that performance. Compared to Declan Rice he was way away from the level of quality. Didn’t play bad, but if someone is offering silly money it may be worth taking it. It would mean putting immense faith in the scouting and recruitment team though.

Just now, Dr Who? said:

Well the last 3 years have been fun. But I think we are on the decline again! We are so boring! 

Tbf England under Southgate have very often been more functional than entertaining.

We really don’t seem to have anyone close to providing competition for Kane though. Abraham is not it and there’s not many else pushing a claim.

30 minutes ago, stknowle said:

Well now, let's see based on the available evidence............... He played 32 games for us in total in the Premier League. He scored 4 goals in those games. Based on that I reckon he'd score about 4 goals a season if he played 30/35 games a season.

Somewhat false/unfair equivalence IMO. He was on the field for 857 minutes during  those 32 games, so an average of c.26 minutes per game; roughly a quarter of each game. That's equivalent to 9.5 full games. In other words, give him more minutes on the pitch in the premier League and he *might* score more goals per game / per season...

Edited by trousers

11 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Think I’d be inclined to take a mega money offer for JWP based on that performance. Compared to Declan Rice he was way away from the level of quality. Didn’t play bad, but if someone is offering silly money it may be worth taking it. It would mean putting immense faith in the scouting and recruitment team though.

Pretty much how I saw it. You could see he’s not quite top level - absolutely no shame in that (and might mean we get to keep him).