Other Games 21/22

whelk

looked like a load of dead horses being flogged in a pointless competition , roll on a ridiculous world cup held at  the wrong time of year . Time for players revolt before the game is ruined for ever. See Rugby to see where it's going , soon be franchise American style sports , 22 players constantly changing places on the pitch during a 3 hour game .

A new definition of closed doors , once the ground id 60% full close the doors .

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I still don't get the Southgate love in. You don't play 5 at the back with 2 CDM's against Hungary with the squad we've got. We clearly have an abundance of midfield quality but instead we're starting with two right backs. I don't understand the logic.

Agreed. My mind is made up on him and has been for a while. He's an awful manager tactically, and has no clue how to switch things up and when to go on the offensive etc.

England will win nothing with him and that has been more than demonstrated by the last 2 tournaments for me

🤷‍♂️

Edited by Saint86
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Saint86 said:

England will win nothing with him

Yeah, there was no way England were going to win that penalty shootout vs Italy to win the Euros with Southgate in charge... 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Not sure how we lost when we had the 2nd greatest ever player on the pitch - Alexander-Arnold.

He is only the 2nd greatest ever, after - funnily enough, another Liverpool player - Virgin van Djik

I don't rate him, he can cross a ball and play a pass, but in terms of in-game defending he is dreadful. That should be his primary job, or maybe he should just become a winger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't rate him, he can cross a ball and play a pass, but in terms of in-game defending he is dreadful. That should be his primary job, or maybe he should just become a winger.

Tino is already better at defending than TAA. 

6 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

He’s the darling of the Liverpool biased media because he’s a young scouse lad playing for them so they’re desperate to talk him up. I don’t rate him that highly either, he always gets found out against the top teams. I’ve just been away with a Liverpool fan who was going on about how great he was and he knows as he watches him every week (on the telly of course) didn’t like it when I pointed out how he looks brilliant against poor teams when Liverpool steam roller them but exposed when he’s got to defend.

• Like 1

Turned the radio on while making tea, and the first caller said Bale should play for a mid table Prem club like... Brentford.

But no reason it can't be us. Will Bale want to go up against top opposition in the run up to the world cup, in the Prem. Or would he be happier at the still competitive level of Cardiff, confident he can step up when required?

Welcome home Gareth…..

A while ago I’d have thought Tottenham would be nailed on for him. But with Kane, Son and Kulusevski they’ve already got a very good front three (assuming they keep them together). Still a good option for them and him though.

If he doesn’t go to spurs I’m struggling to see where Bale may end up, he’s imo still good enough for nearly all squads in the PL. I think it’ll need to be a bigger team in the division though, he can’t and won’t start every game, I think for spurs he came on as sub just as many times as he started. Saints would want him starting every game, which imo makes us a less attractive proposition for him. And I don’t see going to Cardiff or a team in the Championship.

Germany v England tonight and yep you guessed it, fans arrested , singing war songs, bunch of cretins , why is it always football? The whole European Cup final debacle in Paris aswell, that time more the organisation, if you can call it that, I had no probs when watching England play rugby there, it’s just football. Falling out of love with it, have been for a while. It’s sad. 

• Like 2

Just now, Lee On Solent Saint said:

How the fuck did the Germany v England game end up being on Channel 4??

I think Channel 4 won the rights to show England internationals. Not sure if it covers friendly's, but certainly all the qualifiers and competitive stuff.

As JWP watches bellingham come on ahead of him it must cross his mind he needs to move clubs. I know Phillips is at leeds who arent huge but what else can JWP do - he plays every game, he cant put himself in the window any more than he currently does at Saints - maybe needs europe to prove himself. Shame really

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saint Troy said:

As JWP watches bellingham come on ahead of him it must cross his mind he needs to move clubs. I know Phillips is at leeds who arent huge but what else can JWP do - he plays every game, he cant put himself in the window any more than he currently does at Saints - maybe needs europe to prove himself. Shame really

No real point. Phillips doesn't play in Europe, but is treated far better than JWP. Vastly over-rated in my opinion

3 minutes ago, Saint Troy said:

What kind of yard stick are you measuring Leeds by?

1 minute ago, Toadhall Saint said:

What kind of yard stick are you measuring Leeds by?

Not really overthinking it but i suppose generally in the broad context of playing for a "big club" that helps you in an international stage. 

Just think its clear where JWP is in the pecking order and not more he can do whilst at saints. Not saying it would work, more that he couldnt be blamed for wondering

Phillips is being linked to top clubs in a way JWP isnt (it seems from what ive seen in rumours) so maybe we're missing something  

5 minutes ago, Saint Troy said:

Agreed sadly. Despite having arguably the best season of any English central midfielder, he finds himself 4th choice - possibly 5th if you assume Henderson is going. Philips presumably preferred becuase Southgate only sees a big defensive lump and that's the extent of his tactical requirements. Feels verh harsh on JWP. 

Just now, Saint Troy said:

Phillips is being linked to top clubs in a way JWP isnt (it seems from what ive seen in rumours) so maybe we're missing something  

Ward-Prowse has had numerous rumours of interest in him from other clubs in recent months in the media. Having 4 years left on his contract means it would be very expensive for any buying club.

2 minutes ago, Saint Troy said:

Not really overthinking it but i suppose generally in the broad context of playing for a "big club" that helps you in an international stage. 

Just think its clear where JWP is in the pecking order and not more he can do whilst at saints. Not saying it would work, more that he couldnt be blamed for wondering

Think it's the media that always seem to big Phillips up. 

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Ward-Prowse has had numerous rumours of interest in him from other clubs in recent months in the media. Having 4 years left on his contract means it would be very expensive for any buying club.

He's had numerous rumours its true - just felt that the level of rumours seems with higher clubs with Phillips than JWP - not more than a feeling. May be right about the contract in terms of reducing interest

3 minutes ago, Saint Troy said:

He's had numerous rumours its true - just felt that the level of rumours seems with higher clubs with Phillips than JWP - not more than a feeling. May be right about the contract in terms of reducing interest

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10771451/Manchester-United-Man-City-set-75m-battle-sign-James-Ward-Prowse.html