Saints v Newcastle (Maybe) — Build-up

SuperSAINT

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Fuck me surely the PL can do something about this. Or are they worried about ending up in bits?

I don't think they are doing anything wrong there. The PL wanted to ensure all clubs get their 2 weeks off hence why no postponed fixtures were arranged for the midweek of 26/27 January.

What Newcastle do in that break is completely up to them.

I still think the PL made a mockery of the rules to allow some suspect postponements in the first place, I blame them but yes there is no doubt there was a lack of integrity from Newcastle, but at the same time I can't blame them for trying in this cut-throat business.

34 minutes ago, nta786 said:

I don't think they are doing anything wrong there. The PL wanted to ensure all clubs get their 2 weeks off hence why no postponed fixtures were arranged for the midweek of 26/27 January.

What Newcastle do in that break is completely up to them.

I still think the PL made a mockery of the rules to allow some suspect postponements in the first place, I blame them but yes there is no doubt there was a lack of integrity from Newcastle, but at the same time I can't blame them for trying in this cut-throat business.

Not the best choice of words, nta.  Still, I imagine if the Newcastle players don't perform well in the next few games they'll be off to a training camp in Saudi.  They'll first have to collect their visas from the embassy...

• Haha 3

The PL want to ensure clubs get two weeks off? Most have had it with these postponed games.

That Newcastle game will be rescheduled for the Tuesday after we play Coventry in the cup, the bar codes have a free weekend so it will suit them and that’s all that seems to matter.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Fuck me surely the PL can do something about this. Or are they worried about ending up in bits?

Yeah, bet none of them will miss this through covid or a sprained left ear lobe. Maybe we should push to get our game with them rearranged for Wed 26 January to piss them off 🙂

Edited by Teddeer

Why hasn't this match been re-arranged for this week? Both clubs are free and a lot of other 'catch up' matches are taking place.

May be Saints don't want to play 4 matches in 10/11 days or 5 in 2 weeks, if they had been trying to get it arranged but Newcastle were being uncooperative then I think we would be hearing some moaning from the Saints side.

Edited by M271

I will never forgive Howe for leaking stories to the press that we had him lined up to replace Ralph, turning up at games to further fuel the stories.

he’s on Celtic fans shitlist as well for applying to be manager, stringing it out for a couple of weeks before dropping them without an apology to the board. f**k him. 

17 hours ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Beh’eddie Howe says its for football reasons, so all good!

Yeah I'm sure training in that heat will be great preparation for a freezing February night in Newcastle fixture 🙄

Never liked him at Bournemouth, hate the fucker now, smirking, arrogant little twat.......and i know from my experience in my job thats true.

• Haha 1

Even this winter break crept in slyly. It used to be half the teams played one weekend, giving the other half a break and then the other half played the following weekend, giving those who played the previous week a break. That was okay, as there was still football played. Now, it's everyone's off for a mini-break, jet around the world and play money friendlies. Taking away the key element of a "break".

What's noticeable is that the Football League doesn't stop playing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

has anyone put together what their expected starting XI would have been had we played them when scheduled (Jan 2nd)?

I  know Callum Wilson and Saint-Maximin left that ManU game due to injury. Callum is still out.

Would be interesting to compare that XI with the XI they ultimately play with when they play Saints - whenever.

We have make up games for Newtent and Everton, both being lauded over by the press. I think we will be jammed by the 12th man again 😭 I see bias already creeping into the favorite clubs for the top half. The dream of "we are a top 6" dugout team, has a new darling manager, that the press will cheer for success. Newtent for all the monies they will spend to create the next super team, the PL will lap that shit up, money,  money, money 💰 .

I hope we beat them both, despite the best efforts of the refs to hand them the points.

Wait and see, watch and see, my gut says we will not see a game fairly reffed from our point of view.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

We have make up games for Newtent and Everton, both being lauded over by the press. I think we will be jammed by the 12th man again 😭 I see bias already creeping into the favorite clubs for the top half. The dream of "we are a top 6" dugout team, has a new darling manager, that the press will cheer for success. Newtent for all the monies they will spend to create the next super team, the PL will lap that shit up, money,  money, money 💰 .

I hope we beat them both, despite the best efforts of the refs to hand them the points.

Wait and see, watch and see, my gut says we will not see a game fairly reffed from our point of view.

Move over Liverpool, there's a new victim in town.

7 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

They'll have a far stronger side than before, but it's still a really average side managed by Eddie Howe. We need to be winning that game regardless. 

Guimaraes is great, but I'm surprised by how average the rest of the signings are. Wonder how far down the lists they were. 

I just wish there could be a football article or tweet etc without endless defensive Newcastle fans. Why does everyone hate us now?! So jealous etc. Yes we all want our club to disappear and be replaced by Saudi money being greenwashed. They know we're allowed to just go and support city if that's what football means to us right? You get a far better version of the soulless bullshit. 

In fact why doesn't each regime destroying a club just loan man city's team for a billion. Pay to change the rules, I'm sure it'll be fine. Newcastle fans can cheer on man city wearing a different shirt for a season and get their title. 

Trippier isn't an average signing. Gets in almost every PL side bar the top 3. By far the best player on the pitch against Leeds. 

Saints need have no concerns at all about playing the Toon whenever and whichever XI players are fielded against them. Even if they have some super talents in their line up as a result of the transfer window it won't mean these players will be match fit and fully integrated into a system of play. Remember even Howe is new there and has by no means sorted out his best XI and got them playing in a fixed and successful way.

In that sense we are light-year ahead of them. As we are seeing in the AFCON semi's the noble art of fast, direct short and close passing at which we excel can be woefully absent from teams of top players cobbled together a few days or weeks ahead of a match. It takes months or seasons to perfect systems of play.

We' ll beat the Toon, no doubt about that.

I hope that when it is rearranged that the game schedule is the same for both i.e. They don't have a weekend off before but we are still in the cup and play a few days beforehand, possibly compromising our team picks.

12 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Looks like Newcastle might be making a top appointment: 

Huge loss for Brighton. Very good appointment by Newcastle. 

Potter could well follow him up there at some point next season. 

Just now, Baird of the land said:

Curious as to why this game hasn't been re-arranged yet? See a bunch of other re-arranged games are being played on Wed 23rd

Newcastle don't have to play until want to. They'll let the FA know when the fixture isn't too scary.

• Like 2