Wolves 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

waylander

The OCD within me thinks this thread should be called "Wolves vs SAINTS - 15th Jan 3pm" because we are away from home but I'll leave that to Lighthouse to update.

I think I'd be happy with a point too as other than the FA Cup last season we've not beaten them in the league yet since they've come up (in 3 attempts).

They've also won 3 of our last 5 encounters so just feels like they have our number and even when we put in a good performance it just seems like they eke out a result against us.

As for team, I'd revert back to the 4222, and assuming Tino still out then I'd go:

Forster, KWP, Bednarek, Salisu, Perraud, JWP, Romeu, Stu Armstrong, Redmond, Tella, Broja

Subs to use would be Diallo, Adams and Adam Armstronng... or Lyanco to see a game off if we take a lead. 

Edited by nta786
Elyounoussi out due to Covid-19

• waylander changed the title to Wolves v Saints

Same formation as last night for me. We simply must keep that midfield three of JWP, Romeu and Diallo together because they were so good against Brentford. We look tighter and able to create more and also we can conserve energy. Having two in midfield results in a lot of extra running to compensate for lack of numbers and the whole side often run out of steam. I think we are a much better balanced side with a three in the middle.

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, alehouseboys said:

Worth noting, Saints took an initial allocation of 2,730 tickets for this which sold out - if anyone missed out they put an extra 150 (or so) on sale this morning so just under 3,000 making the trip.

Good following from us, decided to go as its the last Saturday 3pm away day for a while, it's the worst away section in the league though other than Newcastle. 

We had a couple of good results there 4-1 and 6-0 but feels like that was a long time ago now. Not a very successful place to go. Wolves are also the only team to beat us at St Mary's this season so far. 

14 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Would go back to the 4-2-2-2 personally:

Forster; KWP Bednarek Salisu Perraud; Romeu JWP; Armstrong Tella Redmond Broja 

I would do this but have Adams in for Tella who looked absolutely knackered when he came off yesterday. 

Just now, Harry_SFC said:

I would do this but have Adams in for Tella who looked absolutely knackered when he came off yesterday. 

Yeah, would be a good option. Also potentially Diallo in for S Armstrong, who hasn't quite got up and running yet, and wouldbe very harsh on Diallo to drop him after last night

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Wolves v Saints - Saturday 3pm
  • Lighthouse pinned this topic
13 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Wasn't really a 3-5-2 last night, more of a hybrid between 4-2-2-2 and 3-4-3 it felt.

Formations are weird. I think it started as 352 with Tella at rwb and redmond/broja up top but at times it was definitely a 343 with JWP at rwb, especially after Tella came off.

3 hours ago, JRM said:

Good following from us, decided to go as its the last Saturday 3pm away day for a while, it's the worst away section in the league though other than Newcastle. 

We had a couple of good results there 4-1 and 6-0 but feels like that was a long time ago now. Not a very successful place to go. Wolves are also the only team to beat us at St Mary's this season so far. 

I'd be more than happy with a draw. They seem to be one of the teams we have really struggled against in the past few seasons. 

Are you on the train? We're driving but it's too cold for an A34 stop at our favorite place this time.

7 hours ago, nta786 said:

The OCD within me thinks this thread should be called "Wolves vs SAINTS - 15th Jan 3pm" because we are away from home but I'll leave that to Lighthouse to update.

I think I'd be happy with a point too as other than the FA Cup last season we've not beaten them in the league yet since they've come up (in 3 attempts).

They've also won 3 of our last 5 encounters so just feels like they have our number and even when we put in a good performance it just seems like they eke out a result against us.

As for team, I'd revert back to the 4222, and assuming Tino still out then I'd go:

Forster, KWP, Bednarek, Salisu, Perraud, JWP, Romeu, Stu Armstrong, Redmond, Tella, Broja

Subs to use would be Diallo, Adams and Adam Armstronng... or Lyanco to see a game off if we take a lead. 

We did beat them at home, I think in their first season up when Redmond scored and celebrated in front of their fans with some reference to Birmingham. 

51 minutes ago, Green said:

We did beat them at home, I think in their first season up when Redmond scored and celebrated in front of their fans with some reference to Birmingham. 

Also beat them there last season in the FA Cup, although they did have a slightly changed side

14 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Wasn't really a 3-5-2 last night, more of a hybrid between 4-2-2-2 and 3-4-3 it felt.

How was it 4-2-2-2 with Romeu Diallo and JWP in midfield?

We have looked good against Spurs, West Ham and Brentford yet some want to revert to what saw our midfield over run?

Its our 3rd game in a week 2 man midfield will get bypassed easily.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

It was kind of both. Depending on whether we had the ball or where we had the ball. Diallo pulled wider at times and Bednarek moved into more of a RB position, we seemed to switch in game. 

Yes 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 never 4-2-2-2 the sooner that formation is binned the better we don’t have the players for it and midfield getting battered sees our defence under pressure it can’t handle

• Like 2

It looked like a 352 but with players moving into zones at different times. The key for me was an extra man in midfield to help us dominate the middle of the park, get the ball and use it. That's much more effective than nunber 10's running around a lot trying to block everything and hope that something comes from it. I agree that the 4222 has had its day, and interestingly it isn't working for Man United and despite being Tuchel's preferred system he doesn't use it at Chelsea, preferring a back 3. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Yes 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 never 4-2-2-2 the sooner that formation is binned the better we don’t have the players for it and midfield getting battered sees our defence under pressure it can’t handle

Seemed to work pretty well at West Ham, and vs Spurs...and over the time Ralph has been here.

• Like 1

Although we have done well recently and relegation is very unlikely to happen the only consistent thing about SFC is their inconsistency

Hoping for a decent performance but will be unsuprised if invidual errors leads to a result which I will not like

Brentford lost because of their errors lets hope Wolves do the same

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Seemed to work pretty well at West Ham, and vs Spurs...and over the time Ralph has been here.

We didn’t play that against Spurs or West Ham though - over Ralph’s time here? What all the defeats? Up until last few games when he switched away we were deep in the shit

we played more 4-1-4-1

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, FboroSaint21 said:

I have a ticket available if anyone can take it off my hands. Only gone and tested positive for C19 this morning. First time over course of the pandemic so I’m gutted.

I caught it over Christmas. Hope you’re not feeling too bad. 

I caught mine at Farnborough (there for the week in the classroom and simulator) so guessing by your name here you’ve links to the place?!

Edited by Behind Enemy Lines

25 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Is covid now over in football? Did all the clubs get a nice rest. Funny that you couldn't escape the postponements ten days ago, and now no-one even mentions it.

It served it purpose I suppose. 

Coincidence that it happened when the top managers were whinging about their fixture list. I wonder what will come of Klopp claiming they had a load of false positive tests? Given governments website says the chances of a false positive LFT is 1 in 1000 then the odds of quite a few happening at the same time at the same club must be 1 in 100000000000000. Or it was total BS.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Is covid now over in football? Did all the clubs get a nice rest. Funny that you couldn't escape the postponements ten days ago, and now no-one even mentions it.

It served it purpose I suppose. 

Still a problem at Newcastle, apparently up there it lasts a lot longer before the infection is cleared, they reckon they will be over it by the end of the transfer window, sorry month.

I see Klopp tried to back peddle on his false positives claim, but really didn't explain it very well. 

4 hours ago, John B said:

Although we have done well recently and relegation is very unlikely to happen the only consistent thing about SFC is their inconsistency

Hoping for a decent performance but will be unsuprised if invidual errors leads to a result which I will not like

Agree about our inconsistency - it's always been the way with SFC - but got to disagree about Brentford losing because of their mistakes.  They might have been a poor side, but our first, third and fourth goals all resulted from great assists and decent build up play to either win the corner for the first, or regain possession before playing the through ball.  I am sure some might argue that on another day Brentford defenders might have been in different places to either beat Bednarek to the header, or play Che offside, but it was our good play that resulted in the goals and the win.

27 minutes ago, CAH61 said:

I had to mark the occasion with memories of this classic match...

Such a bizarre mix of players in that squad, but an absolutely brilliant result, up there in terms of Molyneux memories with Lundekvam scoring past Paul Jones!

Looking at what that squad has gone on to do is very interesting (to me at least...)

Bialkowski- made another 350 appearances in the Championship and League 1 and is still going

Ostlund- played 8 more professional games after leaving us then retired

Pele- ended up at AFC Totton

Powell- wound down his career after leaving us

Makin- retired the following season

Guthire- playing in the second division in Iceland currently

Wright- only played 3 more professional games after leaving us

Skacel- played for 9 more clubs and was an international for Czech Republic

Surman- played most of his career in the premier league

Best- played in the premier league for Newcastle but then found his level below that

Saganowski- played at Euro 2008 for Poland

BWP- NY Red Bull's highest scorer and one of the top strikers in the MLS for best part of a decade

Dyer- Won the league with Leicester and made a good career of it at Swansea

Licka- Still playing in Czech Republic, and was an international for them like Skacel.

I wonder where Saturday's team will all end up, hopefully most better than this lot.

Edited by Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan
Grammar
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, CAH61 said:

I remember that one very well!

We weren't fancied at all, I remember dreading it. Wolves were playing well themselves, we went there with a threadbare squad and lots of square pegs. Wolves attacked us all game, created so many chances, missed a penalty. We just kept hitting them on the break and we were very clinical about it.

Saganowski was in the mode of everything he hit went in as well!

1 hour ago, CAH61 said:

I remember that. Was on a skiing holiday and we kept getting score updates and nobody could believe it. From what I can remember it was one of those freak games where every shot we had went in and Wolves couldn't buy a goal.

6 hours ago, John B said:

Brentford lost because we scored 3 more goals than them.  Brentford lost because we outplayed them.  Brentford lost because we outfought them.  Brentford lost because we outthought them.  They didn't lose because of their errors.

8 hours ago, egg said:

It looked like a 352 but with players moving into zones at different times. The key for me was an extra man in midfield to help us dominate the middle of the park, get the ball and use it. That's much more effective than nunber 10's running around a lot trying to block everything and hope that something comes from it. I agree that the 4222 has had its day, and interestingly it isn't working for Man United and despite being Tuchel's preferred system he doesn't use it at Chelsea, preferring a back 3. 

It was very fluid.  I thought we were most often 532 when without the ball and 442 or 352 with the ball.  The midfield 3 were very mobile and interchangeable.  Our centre halves took many of the throw-ins.  

As for this week, I can see us playing three at the back again, KWP in for Tella or Redmond and that might be the only change.

9 minutes ago, Micky said:

Anybody know how strict the Covid 19 Pass checks will be?  Me and the boy both fully jabbed but the NHS Covid 19 pass app ain't working for us. 

Hard to say. At Palace the check was cursory, at West Ham we had no checks at all. Have you tried going online on a PC and downloading the pass as a pdf to print out? I print my pass as I don't trust my phone not to freeze when I need it.

8 hours ago, Behind Enemy Lines said:

I caught it over Christmas. Hope you’re not feeling too bad. 

I caught mine at Farnborough (there for the week in the classroom and simulator) so guessing by your name here you’ve links to the place?!

Yeah live here (for my sins). Makes getting home from matches fun!

8 hours ago, warsash saint said:

Heading up to Molyneux for the first time via car on Saturday. 

Any advice on street parking / car parks within walking distance of the ground??

Depends how far you want to walk, but there's loads of street parking to the west of the ring road. Probably 20 mins walk to the ground.

3 hours ago, The Left Back said:

It was very fluid.  I thought we were most often 532 when without the ball and 442 or 352 with the ball.  The midfield 3 were very mobile and interchangeable.  Our centre halves took many of the throw-ins. 

At some point in the past few weeks I think Ralph sat on a rock for a while and reflected. The outcome is that he has tempered the tactical obstinacy that was either extremely good or extremely bad for us - there wasn’t much middle ground.

In its place is a tactical flexibility that I feared he didn’t possess, and we (and he) discovered that we are a much better team for it.

Whether it was deliberate or accidental, I really hope he sticks with it. Playing like that, there won’t be many automatic losses or under-achieving draws between now and the end of the season.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Wolves 3-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic