Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

I must admit that the thought of Broja returning doesn't fill me with a huge level of excitement. He's obviously a class player, but he was very average for a long period with us. There are a hundred reasons why that might have been the case, and there's every reason to hope that whatever caused the downturn wouldn't repeat itself if he returned. But it might. I personally find the idea of a fresh prospect like Delap a bit more juicy.

As far KWP, I can't help but think that there's no smoke without fire at this stage. There's so much noise on this one that I sadly think we may well lose him. But at least £30-40m is a good sum to get a decent replacement IF we reinvest the money into that position.

6 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Ah didn't think about locality. Though he is a Winchester lad so.... 🤞 Plus we have Paultons Park. Massive draw for a lad his age. 😜

'Post of the Year' winner right here 😂

• Like 1

Genuine question as I don't know the answer. Maybe someone on here knows. Can Tottenham enforce a buy back clause for KWP at any time during his contract with Saints, or would they have to wait for the end of that contract. Presumably if all parties were in agreement and the price was right. it could be at any stage, but if Saints were unwilling to sell at the moment, surely that contract is binding. However if it were to be run down, he could go on "a free anyway" which I guess wouldn't suit us. As I say, just asking...

4 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

Genuine question as I don't know the answer. Maybe someone on here knows. Can Tottenham enforce a buy back clause for KWP at any time during his contract with Saints, or would they have to wait for the end of that contract. Presumably if all parties were in agreement and the price was right. it could be at any stage, but if Saints were unwilling to sell at the moment, surely that contract is binding. However if it were to be run down, he could go on "a free anyway" which I guess wouldn't suit us. As I say, just asking...

If he has a buy back clause then they just pay the amount and we have to sell at that price. Would just then depend on him agreeing a contract with them. 

It's just basically a release clause to one club. 

Whether he has one is a different matter, we have been agreeing them recently but I don't remember seeing one mentioned when he signed, whereas the ones with Tino or Lavia for example it's been widely reported. 

4 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

Doubtful there was a buy back clause? Cannot recall one being featured at the time. Pretty sure he is ours to keep.

Didn't Mourinho insult the lad pretty badly before he left, shouldn't think he'd want to go near that place again

8 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Doubtful there was a buy back clause? Cannot recall one being featured at the time. Pretty sure he is ours to keep.

Didn't Mourinho insult the lad pretty badly before he left, shouldn't think he'd want to go near that place again

But Mourinho is long gone.

I can see him wanting to go back as it’s champions league football and a chance to staple that England place.

Not going to get it with us is he?

• Like 4

The club don’t reveal everything as we saw in Stephens new contract signing so it wouldn’t surprise me to see a buy back clause in KWP’s contract. Unfortunately, as a previous poster has intimated, Ralph’s tinkering positions may well have unsettled him. I haven’t changed my opinion on Ralph just because the owners have stuck by him. I just don’t think he has what it takes in the PL and too many players have regressed under him. I hope I am wrong. Too many have already forgotten our abysmal last 3 months of 21-22. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

3 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

The club don’t reveal everything as we saw in Stephens new contract signing so it wouldn’t surprise me to see a buy back clause in KWP’s contract. Unfortunately, as a previous poster has intimated, Ralph’s tinkering positions may well have unsettled him. I haven’t changed my opinion on Ralph just because the owners have stuck by him. I just don’t think he has what it takes in the PL and too many players have regressed under him. I hope I am wrong. Too many have already forgotten our abysmal last 3 months of 21-22. 

So he has kept us for multiple seasons with zero Investment and you say he doesn’t have what it takes. 🤔 

• Like 12

KWP versatility is what stands him out against many other full backs and will be a part of what gets him a big move, so I think the idea that Ralph has unsettled him is laughable. He’s literally settled him into the PL, improved him, added strings to his bow and let him flourish. But yeah, KWP probably walks around cursing him for the few weeks he didn’t play him at the start of last season and then making him play left back to get him back in the team. Dear god. 

If/when he leaves it could just be that it’s part of the business mode and a good move for all concerned. You’re all going to have to get used to that at some stage btw. Better start trying now. 

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 8

12 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

The club or any other wouldn't reveal a buy-back clause anyway. The selling club may choose to but rarely will the buying club ever announce a buy-back clause.

37 minutes ago, DT said:

Losing KWP would be a massive blow. Ralph was an idiot for playing him out of position for so long. Really hope this isn’t true. We really need to keep him

Perhaps he likes playing left back. It's people on here who have the issue with it, and assume that KWP does. He'd never nail down an England squad place as a right back, but his versatility may just make it happen for him. Ralph may have done him a massive favour, and KWP may be grateful for that. 

• Like 4

I cannot imagine Spurs not mentioning the buy back clause when they sold him to us, particularly with Levy at the helm.  It gets the fans of the selling club excited that they can easily get the player back if he does well.

Still I think it was the athletic who mentioned it first and they aren't usually wrong about these things.  I think it may be academic anyway ATM as I think Spuds will want to invest elsewhere - or maybe I just hope that's the case!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Surely letting hoijberg go for 15m and getting Kwp for 12m was it ? 
Levy thought he’d done us again but we inherited one of the best rb in the prem.

we were loving life offloading hoijberg and watching Kwp blossom !

so for levy to have inserted a buy back for Kyle is got to be the the shrewdest touch of business he’s had with us !

If it materialises, il be fuming with saints,

my gut says he’s going, my heart 🙏🏻 prays he stays .

2 hours ago, DT said:

Losing KWP would be a massive blow. Ralph was an idiot for playing him out of position for so long. Really hope this isn’t true. We really need to keep him

Well what was the alternative?? Not playing him?

I don't fully understand where this idea of KWP being disgruntled at playing LB has come from?

Didn't he say at one point that he actually liked it? Also imagine he ahs a better chance of getting into the England squad if he shows that he's an option on the left, as well as the right. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Neef said:

I don't fully understand where this idea of KWP being disgruntled at playing LB has come from?

Didn't he say at one point that he actually liked it? Also imagine he ahs a better chance of getting into the England squad if he shows that he's an option on the left, as well as the right. 

It's completely made up forum bullshit. A few people said it, it got repeated a few times and before we know it it's become forum fact. No where has KWP ever even intimated that he's unhappy there, in fact he said he's happy to play anywhere. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

lol he got into the England team at left back, having played at left back (and played well). He also IIRC has come out said publicly he's enjoyed it. 

As for the last 3 months, I don't think anyone has forgotten it, they just have more sense to not judge a whole season, a manager and a team on a third of a season. 

All teams have periods of poor form, even the best, but especially a team like ours that has had very little investment in the last 3-4 years and in reality lacks quality all over the pitch. As said above, Ralph has got them over performing when you consider our spend and budget, pretty much every team that finished just above us or below us has had significantly more investment than we have and that is pretty much been the case every season he's been here. Wolves, Newcastle, Palace, Brighton, Villa, Everton, these sort of clubs have been spending way more (whilst also not been hamstrung by poor signings giving us 'useless' wages on the wage bill) and but have been in around us for most of the season. I think that pretty much conclusively proves Ralph 'has what is takes' in the PL. 

Also it's pretty consistent for teams with not much to play for but unlikely to go down to coast till the end of the season, Charlton in the Prem did it pretty much every year, didn't make Curbishley suddenly a bad manager.  Some players have natural drive, others need something to motivate them and I'd imagine most don't care about an extra £2-3 million for the club for finishing 10th instead of 14th or whatever.  If we can keep improving the squad then hopefully we can push ourselves to be involved in the Euro places battle going into the home stretch next year and then hopefully we won't see the drop off. 

The comment about players regressing is just baffling. Our best player for example, is our best player because he's developed under Ralph. Loads of our players have improved, we are literally talking about one in KWP who was a Spurs barely squad player when he came here, or just look at Danny Ings, how his form has dropped off at Villa. 

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 7
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Barsiem said:

I cannot imagine Spurs not mentioning the buy back clause when they sold him to us, particularly with Levy at the helm.  It gets the fans of the selling club excited that they can easily get the player back if he does well.

Except at the time we signed KWP the Spurs fans seemed happy for him to go as they didn't particularly rate him, so I don't think there was any real benefit for either club to make a big deal out of any buy back clause.

Obviously he has developed into a quality player with us and it would be a shame to lose him for what feels like a relatively low fee. But it would still represent a good profit and this is our stated model so people should be used to it by now.

If there is no buy back clause then I expect him to be sold next summer when he would have two years left on his contract, hopefully for a bigger fee than £30m.

6 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

lol he got into the England team at left back, having played at left back (and played well). He also IIRC has come out said publicly he's enjoyed it. 

As for the last 3 months, I don't think anyone has forgotten it, they just have more sense to not judge a whole season, a manager and a team on a third of a season. 

All teams have periods of poor form, even the best, but especially a team like ours that has had very little investment in the last 3-4 years and in reality lacks quality all over the pitch. As said above, Ralph has got them over performing when you consider our spend and budget, pretty much every team that finished just above us or below us has had significantly more investment than we have and that is pretty much been the case every season he's been here. Wolves, Newcastle, Palace, Brighton, Villa, Everton, these sort of clubs have been spending way more (whilst also not been hamstrung by poor signings giving us 'useless' wages on the wage bill) and but have been in around us for most of the season. I think that pretty much conclusively proves Ralph 'has what is takes' in the PL. 

Also it's pretty consistent for teams with not much to play for but unlikely to go down to coast till the end of the season, Charlton in the Prem did it pretty much every year, didn't make Curbishley suddenly a bad manager.  Some players have natural drive, others need something to motivate them and I'd imagine most don't care about an extra £2-3 million for the club for finishing 10th instead of 14th or whatever.  If we can keep improving the squad then hopefully we can push ourselves to be involved in the Euro places battle going into the home stretch next year and then hopefully we won't see the drop off. 

The comment about players regressing is just baffling. Our best player for example, is our best player because he's developed under Ralph. Loads of our players have improved, we are literally talking about one in KWP who was a Spurs barely squad player when he came here, or just look at Danny Ings, how his form has dropped off at Villa. 

He's hated Ralph ever since he let Sam Gallagher go. I get it and understand why, but rather than make up a load of shite why not just be honest about it? I'm sure he'll now respond with a rant calling me all sorts of names like he usually does but thats the truth. 

Edited by Turkish

4 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I'd be very surprised if we agreed a buy back with Spurs. Am hoping Spurs were too arrogant to think that KWP would ever get to that level for them to be interested in getting him back. Also we tend not to like doing business with them so hopefully Semmens had the balls to refuse to add the clause. 

In the event that we sold him to Spurs, i could see there being a convenient "buy back clause" for whatever amount was agreed - saints look like we had no choice, Levy looks shrewd.

Personally i wouldn't sell him for £35-40m ish. He's a great player for us and i really like him, but our model relies on sales and I can't see that we'd ever get significantly more than that for him; plus it gives us enough to invest in a good replacement, and to strengthen our attack.

Edited by Saint86

2 hours ago, egg said:

Perhaps he likes playing left back. It's people on here who have the issue with it, and assume that KWP does. He'd never nail down an England squad place as a right back, but his versatility may just make it happen for him. Ralph may have done him a massive favour, and KWP may be grateful for that. 

I’m sure I have seen direct quotes on here from KWP that he had no issue with playing LB.

35 minutes ago, Turkish said:

He's hated Ralph ever since he let Sam Gallagher go. I get it and understand why, but rather than make up a load of shite why not just be honest about it? I'm sure he'll now respond with a rant calling me all sorts of names like he usually does but thats the truth. 

This and one of the reasons FF has gone down in my estimation. Bitter and twisted come to mind.

• Like 1

Glad Bednarek may be on the way out - a few years ago, when we signed Virgil to Liverpool, I - purely out of bitterness - started a debate with a Liverpool supporting mate that Bednarek was better than Virgil, anyway. My ego would not let me concede and, as such, I have been engaged in this debate for years now and it is not easy - especially knowing how wrong I am...  this would bring me great relief. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 14

10 hours ago, The Juice said:

Glad Bednarek may be on the way out - a few years ago, when we signed Virgil to Liverpool, I - purely out of bitterness - started a debate with a Liverpool supporting mate that Bednarek was better than Virgil, anyway. My ego would not let me concede and, as such, I have been engaged in this debate for years now and it is not easy - especially knowing how wrong I am...  this would bring me great relief. 

Vindication that a move to Leicester means he's clearly a very good player who now has a chance of winning silverware? 😉

Edited by Sunglasses Ron
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

This and one of the reasons FF has gone down in my estimation. Bitter and twisted come to mind.

The thing is, Ralph and the club are also completely vindicated with selling Gallagher, as he's turned into a decent Championship player and no more. It's hard to make a case that he would have done anything of note in the Prem had we kept him. 

17 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

I’m sure I have seen direct quotes on here from KWP that he had no issue with playing LB.

Yes there are, plenty, like this one when he got his England call up, plenty of others. But stll lets believe a few helmets on a football forum who've said something enough it becomes FACT

“I feel just as comfortable in either position,” Walker-Peters says. “It was a bit of a surprise to people when I started playing left-back this season but I’ve been doing it for a long time, throughout the England youth ranks – including at the Under-20 World Cup.”

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saint Mikey said:

The thing is, Ralph and the club are also completely vindicated with selling Gallagher, as he's turned into a decent Championship player and no more. It's hard to make a case that he would have done anything of note in the Prem had we kept him. 

Exactly. Time has proven Ralph was right. However Gallagher is 27 in a couple of months seems like a decent lad and has gone on to have a good championship career, he's a better footballer and probably richer financially than 99% of the world. But some people are very bitter about it.

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Exactly. Time has proven Ralph was right. However Gallagher is 27 in a couple of months seems like a decent lad and has gone on to have a good championship career, he's a better footballer and probably richer financially than 99% of the world. But some people are very bitter about it.

He’s a big boy now so no need to have someone fight his battles for him (I doubt he ever did mind).

2 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

I wouldn't blame him for everything but he was completely clueless last 3rd of the season

Lets see how he does with a new coaching team rather than 3 goalkeepers to turn to.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

Levy thought he’d done us again but we inherited one of the best rb in the prem.

so for levy to have inserted a buy back for Kyle is got to be the the shrewdest touch of business he’s had with us !

Maybe we insisted on a buy back clause for Hojberg 😱😱😱

7 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Lets see how he does with a new coaching team rather than 3 goalkeepers to turn to.

I mean, this is a fair point, and yes we should. But I hope he ups his game management/tactics too during games, not just before them aided by what seems to be a pretty good set up now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

Why would you be fuming? We've signed a talented player for a good price, given him two season to develop them sold him for a large profit.

IF that makes you fuming then you're going to be very angry for a long time as that is what we're going to be doing.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Vindication that a move to Leicester means he's clearly a very good player who now have a chance of winning silverware? 😉

Absolutely. Fantastic defender, and worth every penny of the £30M fee. In fact that's a bargain. Gutted when he goes; honest. But delighted if he signs from Brendan, particularlly after the supportive comments he made about us in his previous job.

Truely: our defence will not be the same with Bednarek in it.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Absolutely. Fantastic defender, and worth every penny of the £30M fee. In fact that's a bargain. Gutted when he goes; honest. But delighted if he signs from Brendan, particularlly after the supportive comments he made about us in his previous job.

Truely: our defence will not be the same with Bednarek in it.

and quite ironic that they will have bought 3 of the players who played in the 0-9 against them 🙂

Edit: don't think vest played in that did he?

Edited by Golac's Cunning Stunts

16 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

and quite ironic that they will have bought 3 of the players who played in the 0-9 against them 🙂

Edit: don't think vest played in that did he?

I don't really think it's fair to include Bertrand either. It was still 0-0 when he got sent off wasn't it?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I don't really think it's fair to include Bertrand either. It was still 0-0 when he got sent off wasn't it?

On the contrary, I think getting yourself sent off after 10 minutes make you more guilty than anyone else.

35 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Why would you be fuming? We've signed a talented player for a good price, given him two season to develop them sold him for a large profit.

IF that makes you fuming then you're going to be very angry for a long time as that is what we're going to be doing.

I’m not angry Turkish .. Fuming is a chuck away comment we old school used to say .. sorry i will re phrase for you new school saint support.. I’d be a tad miffed then how’s that for you nipper ? ❄️

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

On the contrary, I think getting yourself sent off after 10 minutes make you more guilty than anyone else.

True, but wasn't it also a really harsh decision that didn't take the pitch conditions into account? I was out at a gig that night and have never brought myself to watch the replays, so I can only go by what I've read.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

I must admit that the thought of Broja returning doesn't fill me with a huge level of excitement. He's obviously a class player, but he was very average for a long period with us. There are a hundred reasons why that might have been the case, and there's every reason to hope that whatever caused the downturn wouldn't repeat itself if he returned. But it might. I personally find the idea of a fresh prospect like Delap a bit more juicy.

As far KWP, I can't help but think that there's no smoke without fire at this stage. There's so much noise on this one that I sadly think we may well lose him. But at least £30-40m is a good sum to get a decent replacement IF we reinvest the money into that position.

'Post of the Year' winner right here 😂

Its called inconsistency that you see with young players

• Like 4