Saints 2-0 Everton - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

Historically, this is typically the type of game that Saints have a bad day at the office at following a decent run of form.

But here's hoping we wipe the arse of history and tonk the dug-out champions. 

Same starting 11 three games on the trot? 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

We are never any good at Everton.

Last time I was there we had a very young Leon Best and David Mcgoldrick upfront.

At home the situation is more positive.

Despite their position Everton have some good players and their win today will give them a good deal of confidence.

Should be a good game and i really hope we can put together a good performance

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, trousers said:

Historically, this is typically the type of game that Saints have a bad day at the office at following a decent run of form.

But here's hoping we wipe the arse of history and tonk the dug-out champions. 

Same starting 11 three games on the trot? 

Will they be exhausted though? As we were told they would be before today’s game. 

As I said; it’s a myth trotted out by the big clubs when things don’t go their way. When you’re winning or getting good results, you don’t feel the fatigue. 

so yes, same team please. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dman said:

1) Will they be exhausted though? As we were told they would be before today’s game. 

2) As I said; it’s a myth trotted out by the big clubs when things don’t go their way. When you’re winning or getting good results, you don’t feel the fatigue. 

1) Big difference between Spurs to Man Utd preparation vs Man Utd to Everton preparation is it was Wednesday to Saturday for the former and now it is Saturday to Saturday.

2) It isn't a myth. Of course fatigue is an issue if you play games in quick succession.

We need a fast start and to put them under pressure because they showed against Newcastle they'll crumble. I think they are ok when things are going their way but not equipped to withstand the onslaught I'm hoping we send their way from the first minute.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Saint J 77 said:

It’s annoying Everton won so convincingly today. They will come into the game full of confidence now. It would be nice to get some pay back for the opening game of the season. It would be good to see a 3-1 reverse. 

I dunno. I'm happy for them to arrive in an easily burst bubble of complacency thinking they just have to show up to get three points.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

f**king hate them and I expect to read somewhere that Richarlison has not scored for 10 games.

Fortunately not. But at the beginning of today's match the taters said Ronaldo was in his worst drought since leaving Utd decades ago, which left me in dread. So I was pleasantly surprised we didn't end it!

• Like 2

Quite simply, if we perform as we have over our last 3 league games then we will have far too much for them.

I've watched tham an awful lot this season and they've been mostly terrible. I know they got a convincing win today but Leeds seem to be a Jekyll and Hyde team these days so I don't know which one turned up at Goodison. Lampard is not going to have magically turned a squad full of dross into world beaters overnight, but it sounds like Donny VDB was influential for them today, so we'll need to keep him quiet.

They have some occasionally good players but no consistently good ones, and that's why they are where they are in the table. Their midfield is weak and with Doucore still injured they are relying on Gomes who has 1 good game in 10. He's a very cowardly player and if teams press him hard he crumbles.

Their back 4 is a shambles, and their best defender Yerry Mina is out for another couple of months now having already had all sorts of injury problems this season. Their CB pairing will be Keane and Holgate who are both poor and won't be able to cope with the current form of Che and Broja.

Fullback is also a very weak area for them. They started the season with only one decent one and they sold him last month because he'd fallen out with Benitez, then sacked Rafa a week later. Great forward planning. Their options there are Coleman, Kenny and Mykolenko who hasn't shown any sign yet of being up to the pace of the PL.

Up front, Richarlison blows hot and cold but he won't get much/any change out of Salisu on current form. He does seem to have an annoying habit of scoring against us though.

Their spirits will have been lifted by their win today, but I am confident we will bring them back to Earth with a bump next week. We really shouldn't be fearing them at all. Go at them, get in their faces, get an early goal and press them and they will collapse like they did against Newcastle. 

Edited by Sheaf Saint
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

f**king hate them and I expect to read somewhere that Richarlison has not scored for 10 games.

He’s another one like Son who always scores against us.

He scored in the cup last weekend didn't he?

We normally do alright against them at home. One of those teams like Newcastle who we generally don't need to bother playing each season because the league could just award us 3 points each for the home wins.

4 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

Last time I was there we had a very young Leon Best and David Mcgoldrick upfront.

Despite their position Everton have some good players and their win today will give them a good deal of confidence.

We are at home though. Even though we used to have a terrible record at home, we are pretty good at home to them since we came up. Away completely naff. I was there on the opening day. First half really good and 0-1 up at half time and the 2nd half terrible. 

Saw the highlights against Sandcastle Arabia and Everton were all over the place when Sandcastle moved the ball quickly. So good tempo fingers crossed and 3 points

f**king hate Everton. Naturally keep same staring line up, nice to see Ralp coming around to the idea of KWP and Tino swapping positions and both on the right.

Moi it has to be said has improved and grown in confidence,which is nice to see,as i like many before wernt so impressed with the team contribution and whys he staring thing.He dosent seem to slow the direction or flow of our recent attacks as Redmond would have. IMO.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

Damn lucky we are playing at St. Mary's then.

Got to say, hate Everton but have a horrible feeling Lampard will get a good tune out of them and we will end up with a draw at best.

20 minutes ago, Jessinkalasin said:

Damn lucky we are playing at St. Mary's then.

Got to say, hate Everton but have a horrible feeling Lampard will get a good tune out of them and we will end up with a draw at best.

1-1 draw , Richarlison for them , frustrating game.  

We've been excellent recently but we do seem to like a draw.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Calvert Lewin likes a goal against us as well

I forgot about him, also expected Dele Ali goal based on comments writing him off on the Dele Ali thread,  not looking good for us 

13 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

Fortunately not. But at the beginning of today's match the taters said Ronaldo was in his worst drought since leaving Utd decades ago, which left me in dread. So I was pleasantly surprised we didn't end it!

They also mentioned that Sancho hadn't scored or assisted at home this season, knew what was going to happen once they said that.

Looking forward to this one, the team that played as they did for Spurs away/Utd away this week would win.

Richarlison is an annoying whiny pest, would love Stephens to do a number on him and whine him up. The one club Richarlison has scored the most against is both us and Wolves (5 goals).

Other than that, same team as this week - if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

45 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Calvert Lewin likes a goal against us as well

He’s only got 1 against us in fact, in about 9 appearances. He has scored more against others.

We are 3rd on Dele Alli’s list though, he has scored 5 against us, and 6 against Chelsea/Watford

16 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

NEVER any good? I seem to remember Saints ending Everton's unbeaten run in the 20/21 season. 

Unlike Spurs and United, Everton may match our work rate, making it a completely different game. They were relentless against Leeds. If they play the same, it will be a very hard game, Hopefully we can get the first goal. I think that will be crucial. Excited to see if we can continue this great form. Beat Everton and who knows where it will end...

The midfield battle will be key. If Ori and JWP can get the better of Van De Beek & Allan, we're half way there. They're a big side so we need to have one of our better days at defending set-pieces/balls in to the box as we're very hit and miss at that. 

They're defensively shite though so Broja and Adams should be looking to get the better of Holgate and Keane who are having a very poor season. 

They've won 1 of 11 away from home but represent a bit of a bogey team. 2-1 win if we play the same team as last two games. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nta786 said:

He’s only got 1 against us in fact, in about 9 appearances. He has scored more against others.

We are 3rd on Dele Alli’s list though, he has scored 5 against us, and 6 against Chelsea/Watford

I really fear the Dele Alli we saw at St Mary’s in December. If he plays that well again he will get a hat trick minimum.

I like the simplistic analysis they won previously so confident so will be good again. If only thinking positively made you win games.

btw they won well against Brentford and were shit in following game against Newcastle.

Having said that also think 1-1 or 3-0

13 minutes ago, Chez said:

Unlike Spurs and United, Everton may match our work rate, making it a completely different game. They were relentless against Leeds. If they play the same, it will be a very hard game, Hopefully we can get the first goal. I think that will be crucial. Excited to see if we can continue this great form. Beat Everton and who knows where it will end...

If we win against EFC then who knows? Could be an exciting end to the season.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Chez said:

Every stat I have seen suggests Conte has made Spurs the hardest working if most running is the measure.

17 hours ago, Dman said:

Will they be exhausted though? As we were told they would be before today’s game. 

As I said; it’s a myth trotted out by the big clubs when things don’t go their way. When you’re winning or getting good results, you don’t feel the fatigue. 

so yes, same team please. 

Why do you think you know better about player fatigue than all the players and managers who deal with it and complain about it?

Thought KWP looked good in front of Tino. Maybe Elyounoussi and KWP as 10s, Stu had a poor game yesterday imo and Tino is one of our best and brightest players.

Stephens in for Bednarek whether he is injured or not and aside from that unchanged.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, whelk said:

Every stat I have seen suggests Conte has made Spurs the hardest working if most running is the measure.

Well they certainly did a lot of running against us.....mainly chasing our shadows though!

I think I'm correct in saying that Lineker said on MoTD that the Spuds v Saints game was one of the games of the season. Coming from an ex-Spuds player, that's quite something.

Anyway - Everton - same team please and I think we have enough to beat them. They've got some good players, but their defence still doesn't look that great and one of Lampard's criticisms at Chelsea was they were good going forward but couldn't defend. 3-1 for me.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, TWar said:

Thought KWP looked good in front of Tino. Maybe Elyounoussi and KWP as 10s, Stu had a poor game yesterday imo and Tino is one of our best and brightest players.

Stephens in for Bednarek whether he is injured or not and aside from that unchanged.

Agree KWP looked very comfortable in the more advance role but he is currently far better than Tino at full back especially defensively. Also wouldn't take Stuart Armstrong out of the team. Ok, he missed a few decent chances yesterday but we need his driving runs when he carries the ball up the pitch and also he needs game time to get his fitness levels back to normal after missing so many matches. He's getting stronger so not the time to remove him from the starting line up in my opinion.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, TWar said:

Interesting- why do you feel SA had a poor game? I thought he had a great game despite the misses. Sounds like you would like to see him dropped?

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 2-0 Everton - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic