The 2022-23 Predictions thread

Edmonton Saint

So how we feeling 2 weeks before the season starts?  I’m a pessimist and think we are going to struggle , the lack of creativity or goals as it stands is very worrying and I’m hoping the next two weeks sees much needed reinforcements 

I’m going to go all Dalek and think we will finish 17th.

• Like 1

Champions - Man City

Rest of Top 4 - Spurs, Man United, Liverpool

FA Cup - Chelsea

League Cup - Spurs

Bottom 3 - Bournemouth, Brentford, Leeds

Saints - 15th (Ralph to not last the season)

I think Lampard, Marsch amongst others will be gone early, with many managers having Pochettino looming over them

• Like 1

These threads are really hard before the season has started and the window has closed, so we can all have a laugh when we look back at our predictions in a few months!

I fancy Man City winning the league, quite comfortably this time. Liverpool to drop to 3rd or 4th. I think losing Mane will hit them more than they realise, they'll lose a lot of their fluidity in their attack and Nunez will require them to play totally differently. 

Man Utd will be Man Utd, they have so much shit and haven't done anything in the market to fix that. Ten Haag isn't going to make McTominay the next Pirlo or Fred the next Scholes, so until they get better players in their team they'll never really be in contention for the top 4. The ownership probably don't appreciate that though, so they'll probably pull the trigger on Ten Haag because a few players will go crying to the board because of his harsh treatment. 

Bottom 3, as it stands, Fulham, Bournemouth, Everton. I think Fulham are your typical yo-yo team, too good for the champ but ultimately a little short on quality for the PL. Bournemouth are just not good enough at all, they need to do a hell of a lot of work to be competitive. Everton could be real entertainment this year, I can see Dyche rocking up there in January or something. The place is in a mess, the squad is lacking quality and they've already lost their best player. Even now they don't seem to have the money to change that, but they really need it otherwise they're screwed.

Southampton....anywhere between 10th-17th. If we end up with Lavia, Mara, Bella-Kotchap, Bazunu coming in and exciting everyone then we could have a good season. Likewise if they struggle to adapt due to their age we will be in for a long hard battle.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Edmonton Saint said:

So how we feeling 2 weeks before the season starts?  I’m a pessimist and think we are going to struggle , the lack of creativity or goals as it stands is very worrying and I’m hoping the next two weeks sees much needed reinforcements 

I’m going to go all Dalek and think we will finish 17th.

This is pessimistic. We have had a 'window' with investment. We have a new coaching staff. We have a new Head of Recruitment , We have owners who are deeply involved and have a new vision. What's not to like? We will see  a fresh dynamism. It may take a while to settle but when it does we will be challenging for Europe. 9th or 10th this season, 6th next season

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Champions - Man City

Top 4 - Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea

FA Cup - Arsenal

League Cup - Liverpool

Relegated - Fulham, Bournemouth, Brentford

Saints - 16th, Ralph to last the season despite end-of-season collapse

Signing of the season / Golden Boot - Haaland

World Cup winners - Brazil

I think we will struggle first half of the season due to all the new faces needing time to bed in. I think we will also struggle in the second half of the season due to half of those new faces not being up to it. 

Relegation could be on the cards. 

I hope I am thoroughly wrong believe me. 

• Like 1

I can't see Ralph doing much as I'm not a huge fan of his style of play. I think we may have enough to stay up if we get the required offensive reinforcements. I'm going to go with 16th but maybe higher if some of our gambles pay off. Will probably be sacking Ralph though. 

I'm still not totally convinced by Ralph's tactics and game management but with this influx of decent fresh young players I am hopeful of more success. 

I will predict our finish to be somewhere between 11th and 15th. We may well benefit by the enforced break due to the World Cup and I can't many of ours being involved.

Premier League

Liverpool

Top 4

City Spurs Utd

Relegated

Fulham Bournemouth Leeds

FA Cup

Spurs 

League Cup

City

Champions: Man City
Relegated: Everton, Leeds, Bournemouth
Saints: 9th

Now Southampton are adopting my old Championship Manager strategy I can see no way it can go wrong. Am seriously excited about some of the players we're bringing in. This is the window I've been most excited about for years and I think (hope) we'll look back on it like Koeman's first transfer window.

That being said I can see it exploding in our faces but I'm an optimist.

• Like 2

City

Liverpool

Chelsea

Spurs

United

Arsenal

West Ham

F*** knows x 7

Forest

Everton

Leeds

Brentford

Bompey

Fulham

Pochettino to replace Brendan Rodgers

Vieira to replace Arteta

Liverpool to win nothing

City to win treble but fail in Europe again

United no better

I think we’ll be fine, a more exciting team with some good days and some really infuriating days. Think Ralph will see out the season and will be resigned.

England will have a bad World Cup. 

Truss will be PM

MLT will still be annoying everyone 

Turkish will bump the Rainbow Shirt thread every six weeks to try and snag a bite

And despite getting all of the above right, I will still fail miserably at predicting the lottery numbers.

Edited by Chewy
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Champions - Man City

FA Cup - Liverpool

League Cup - Man City

Relegated - Fulham, Bournemouth, Saints

Ralph gone by WC start. Lack of full back cover, creative midfielder  and proven striker will see us struggle…..unless addressed in next few weeks 🙂

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

Champions - Man City

FA Cup - Liverpool

League Cup - Man City

Relegated - Fulham, Bournemouth, Saints

Ralph gone by WC start. Lack of full back cover, creative midfielder  and proven striker will see us struggle…..unless addressed in next few weeks 🙂

Ralph will be gone but not because of the positions above

19 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

Ralph will be gone but not because of the positions above

I hope not. The Club is committed to a long term strategy, he has survived the bad days of no investment from owners, now begins the better part and he will reap the reward he deserves

• Like 2

Top 4 probably the same as last season, maybe Spurs ahead of Chelsea unless they sign a striker.

FA Cup - let's go for Man City

League Cup - Man City

Champions League - Man City

World Cup - Man City

Relegated - Fulham, Brentford, Bournemouth

Saints will start slow but pick up to finish 13th, get to one cup quarter final and suffer at least 1 heavy defeat to keep everyone happy.

• Haha 1

Rough start where we’ll pick up a point or two by being solid and uninspiring. Perhaps a heavy defeat thrown in. Then we’ll find improved performances and wind up 12th with much optimism surrounding our now experienced young talent.

Out of the league cup early, FA cup 1/4s where we’ll draw Liverpool or City  and none of the big teams will be drawn together.

16 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Champions - Man City

Top 4 - Liverpool, Chelsea, Man UTD

FA Cup - Man City

League Cup - Chelsea

Relegated - Fulham, Wolves, Brentford

Ralph loses his job by October and is replaced by the current Luton manager.

Nathan Jones? - that’s a bit left field…..

• Like 1

My prediction for 2022/23 is that I will definitely have increasingly brutal hangovers due to the ageing process.

Man City to win the title

Manure to hopefully finish 8th or below and the main news sites finally realise they’re aren’t the biggest club anymore and don’t deserve stories about their ball boys above other clubs activity. Looking at you BBC, you’re the nation’s service, not Man Utd website. 

Tottenham to hopefully be shite. 

Everton finally relegated. 

It’s basically Revel Roulette for us with Ralph. Could get an occasional toffee but mostly a duff packet with orange dominating.  We will probably get a weird parma violet flavour in there as well during the season. New coaches will hopefully be listened to by the rabbit house. 

We are still seriously lacking goals so give me 17th today and I would take it. I wasn’t far off last season being happy with the same thing and ending up with 16th. That said, a couple of strong signings and I’d revise to 12th to 15th. The new players are too inexperienced and surrounded by average squad for anything more.

It’s a rebuilding year as long as the foundations don’t collapse around us. 

From the limited amount I’ve seen so far of our new signings, I’m erring on the side of negativity. I think we are in real danger of getting relegated. Bazunu aside, I haven’t seen anything at all that makes me think we’ve signed anyone a good bit better than we’ve already got. We’ve got more players, which may well help, but I don’t see our first team level as having gone up very much since last term. Our form at the end of last term was a disaster and I’d hoped to see us become a bit more exciting going forwards, but three pre season games haven’t enlightened me there so far. I also think the 3 at the back doesn’t look like a particularly wonderful formation for us.

A proper striker will change us in a big way, so we’ll see what happens there, IMO right now it’s utterly crucial we get someone in who can get very close to double figures for the season.

Edited by The Kraken

Champions     Man City 

top 4               Liverpool,chelsea,manure 

5th.                  Spuds 

6th.                 Arsenal 

fa cup.            Chelsea 

league cup.    Man City 

relegation.     Cherries, Fulham , Everton 

12 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

Champions     Man City 

top 4               Liverpool,chelsea,manure 

5th.                  Spuds 

6th.                 Arsenal 

fa cup.            Chelsea 

league cup.    Man City 

relegation.     Cherries, Fulham , Everton 

So we don’t even feature? That’s even more pessimistic than my prediction, at least I don’t have us relegated before the season starts!

This is often the only time of year to dream big, to be optimistic, to be ruled by hope not fear, to see that glass as not just half full but overflowing.  We're a mystery side. Our owners have a cunning plan and seem to know what they are doing. It's a season with a massive break in the middle.  Ralph says we'll sign another striker. So I'm going to go for it and say 7th place, and a cup final.  

...waits for mass condemnation by fellow forum members.  I'm happy to be called deluded or whatever else you want to chuck at me.  That's my prediction and I'm sticking with it.  

As for everything else, I'm not interested enough to make a prediction.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, The Kraken said:

From the limited amount I’ve seen so far of our new signings, I’m erring on the side of negativity. I think we are in real danger of getting relegated. Bazunu aside, I haven’t seen anything at all that makes me think we’ve signed anyone a good bit better than we’ve already got. We’ve got more players, which may well help, but I don’t see our first team level as having gone up very much since last term. Our form at the end of last term was a disaster and I’d hoped to see us become a bit more exciting going forwards, but three pre season games haven’t enlightened me there so far. I also think the 3 at the back doesn’t look like a particularly wonderful formation for us.

A proper striker will change us in a big way, so we’ll see what happens there, IMO right now it’s utterly crucial we get someone in who can get very close to double figures for the season.

Agree with this. We are on track to be in the worst six teams in the league yet again, and right now feels to me we are closer to the worst three that we were even last season. That Christmas purple patch seems so far away now.

Can these kids handle it? A bunch of young kids on the back of four morale-sapping defeats early in the season and we could be a club in tailspin.

It's a lovely experiment to go for all this potential and youth but we fans could get to the world cup break collectively reflecting on how anyone thought that it could possibly work in the 2022 Premier League. A big gamble.

Edited by CB Fry

Unless the new coaches are some kind of miracle workers and can over ride some of Ralph's stubborn decisions I fear we are in for a struggle to rise above the bottom six. Whether that translates into relegation I'm not sure but maybe we are running out of lives. It's getting harder to compete with those who spend a lot more than we do so maybe our expectations should be low. We've shelled out a bit this summer but it will be hard to rely on so many untried youngsters especially if we make our usual very slow start to the season. Still time to bolster the squad with some proven class but not sure the owners are going to go down that route so it's all a gamble on unproven youngsters - be lovely if it works, if it doesn't prepare for a car crash.

• Like 2

For the first time in many years I am predicting relegation. Our form over the last few months of last season was atrocious and I don’t think RH is good enough even with better players at his disposal. I know a new season should bring optimism but I am struggling this year. 

14 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

For the first time in many years I am predicting relegation. Our form over the last few months of last season was atrocious and I don’t think RH is good enough even with better players at his disposal. I know a new season should bring optimism but I am struggling this year. 

Apologies, maybe I’ve missed it but can you remind us of a season when you were optimistic?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All the promoted sides will be shit and yes including Forest with their wonder manager. Lingard a very odd signing

Hard to say with Saints and consistency- the same side that looked world beaters against Spurs can seem bereft of any cutting edge against Watford at home. Going to be weird season with 2 month break but hinges on start. Poor start and Ralph will have to go. String start and won’t be too long to regroup and take stock although could say that with weak start so like a mini season. 14th

Edited by whelk

Just now, whelk said:

All the promoted sides will be shit and yes including Forest with their wonder manager. Lingard a very odd signing

Hard to say with Saints and consistency- the same side that looked world beaters against Spurs can seem bereft of any cutting edge against Watford at home. Going to be weird season with 2 month break but hinge on start. Poor start and Ralph will have to go. Sting start and won’t be too long to regroup and take stock. 14th

That’s where I’m at. In reality not much as changed. We’ve lost Broja but the first XI is pretty much the same that started last season, in addition we’ve lost a non scoring late sub plus a bang average keeper.  

This season we’ve got much more depth albeit a lot of them are untested kids. Early signs are that Bazunu looks a good capture so think he’ll start the season and I’d still expect Romeu and Ward Prowse to start the season as our central pairing with Lavia being eased through. 

the striker signing is going to be key, get someone in who can score 10 a season or more and things look promising. 

• Like 3

Think we looked like we miht have improved at the back.

In an attacking sense we are very weak and lack goals. It seems like we still have business to do in this area.

The mid-season break may help as the one recent time we had one(Covid), ralph managed to get the team to finish the season on a high rather than his more common lose every game approach.

I'll go optmistic and say 11th because the thought of another drab drip over the stay up line is too depressing for words.

With the influx of new coaching staff, the appointment of Bazunu to improve the keeper role and some much needed younger legs in defence and midfield, I was starting to get optimistic about the new season.  Unfortunately this optimism has been muted at this point by a lack of improvement in tactical nouse and performance in front of goal - yes, it's early days and we've got at least Mara to look forward to joining and others hitting form, but at this point there's little to demonstrate lessons learnt and a corner being turned.

Difficult to predict therefore how the season will end, but at the moment I see it going like this - early defeats will mean a significant upswell of anti-Ralph protests leading to a difficult decision by the Board.  Would they act early and try to convince Poch to come back and finish the project he started?  If we don't fix the lack of goal threat we saw at the end of last season, it will mean one thing - relegation - and I can't see the Board risking that eventuality with the level of investment made this summer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

We have better players so the manager who has kept us up with worse players will get us relegated? What?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Turkish said:

Apologies, maybe I’ve missed it but can you remind us of a season when you were optimistic?

Oh I’m never optimistic (less disappointment) but I haven’t predicted relegation for a long time. I honestly think Ralph has been rumbled (that’s an answer to Pamplemousse). 

8 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Oh I’m never optimistic (less disappointment) but I haven’t predicted relegation for a long time. I honestly think Ralph has been rumbled (that’s an answer to Pamplemousse). 

As do I, started with Norwich at home. We won, but you could see how Dean Smith had worked out how to nullify us. Yes we got two goals, before anyone brings that up, but we were very blunt from that day on.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Toussaint said:

If the window closed today we’d be gone. But it isn’t closing today so I haven’t a clue. 

Why? Many of the clubs around us have had much more disappointing or indifferent summers so far. We look stronger in several positions, we just need a replacement for Broja.

• Like 1

Champions - City

Runners up - Arsenal

3rd - Liverpool

4th - United

5th - Chelsea

6th - Newcastle

7th - Spurs

8th - Wolves

9th - West Ham

10th - Villa

11th - Palace