Saints 1-1 (p6-5) Sheffield Wednesday - Match Thread

Picard

18 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Selected Ratings:

McCarthy 5 - poor shot stopping in the first half, couldn’t hold anything, beaten at near post, good pen save but still poor overall.
Djenepo 5 - Bambi on ice, again, we never know what he’s going to do with the ball, nor do his teammates, nor does he. I’ll need to see the replay if that was actually a pen he won or whether he tripped up.
Caleta-Car 5.5 - thought he looked a bit out of sorts but better as the game went on.
Diallo 5 - kept losing the ball, exceptionally slow in the middle.
Perraud, Walcott and Stu Armstrong 7 - all made a huge difference when they came on, Walcott especially (maybe 7/8 for him)
Edozie 8 - he was excellent, very impressive dribbling, deserves more starts
Mara 5 - weak overall, completely outmuscled.
Adam Armstrong 5 - never has a player had more opportunities and sliced and panicked when having a passing or shooting opportunity

Overall tonight we were woeful. Fortunately Selles changed to four at the back and brought on the right players 👍🏻

Calleta Car was a rock at back not sure what player you we’re watching yet  you gave Walcott 7 or 8 for those misses strewth!

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 3

Same old issue No forward or focal point, absolutely no movement for the midfield to pass to even if they ever looked to pass forward. Aribo was abysmal, Mara has something if he had an Ings to play off some flashes there.

How Walcott missed those 2 chances scuffer. 
Says it all when best player was 90 year old Barry Bannen.

Was reading the match review on the OS which I never do but obviously difficult to follow the game today if you weren’t there ( can’t believe I no longer have an fm radio).

Anyway, was quite surprised at how balanced it was and was quite critical of Saints in the first half and said our youngsters need to learn to be more robust. Not sure if they are usually that balanced…

• Like 1

That was abysmal. 

Mara, Lyanco, Diallo, and Adam Armstrong are absolutely abysmal, shouldn’t be anywhere near a premier league squad, but here we are, part of the reason we are in so much trouble. 

• Like 2

Youngsters were outmuscled by bigger experienced defenders. First half was woeful - lucky to get a pen. Ref was poor. Diallo, Djenepo, Elynoussi and Walcott (those two misses🤦🏼‍♂️) shouldn't be anywhere near the squad. Better with Perraud and change of formation 1/2 time but just how bad are we in front of goal - definitely need someone upfront in January. Nathan Jones is all we deserve - at least he is a man manager and may be able to get this lot to perform - at least we got away with it for a change tonight - maybe it's a turning point!

7 minutes ago, Appy said:

That was abysmal. 

Mara, Lyanco, Diallo, and Adam Armstrong are absolutely abysmal, shouldn’t be anywhere near a premier league squad, but here we are, part of the reason we are in so much trouble. 

Agreed. Lyanco a liability. gives away so many cheap fouls by having his hands on the back of players. Diallo is a nothing player, can't even be bothered to describe how poor Mara and A Armstrong were. 

Well that was dreadful.. the more I watch this team the more I worry and the reality is we are just not good enough to stay in this league. The board are obviously prepared as they’ve gone for a championship manager with a 4 million release clause.. what?? Are SFC taking the piss. I’m all for giving Nathan jones a chance but just can’t see anything changing. Back to tonight’s game.Fair play to JWP.. all over the pitch tonight and doing all the work the others weren’t capable of doing.

Just back. Wow, that first half was something else. As bad as Chelsea first half last season. No one apart from Edozie got more than 3 out 10 for those 45 minutes. Dreadful everywhere.

Better second half (impossible not to be) but over 90 mins I’d say a draw was fair. Which about sums up our level - on a par to a league one side at our home. 
Utterly depressing.

And what on earth was that team selection and those substitutions about?? Was Ralph still there??? Nonsensical, players out of position, uninspiring changes, no youth. Admittedly they were made a bit earlier, but it was like nothing had changed.

I’d imagined there’d be some freedom, chains unshackled sort of response. Complete opposite, more of the same from the bench and the pitch.

Good luck Nathan, cos some of this sh1t seems seriously ingrained.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, angelman said:

Just back. Didn't stay for the penalties - can't stand them. We were utter ****. 

Just back myself,  awful game of football but at least we are in the hat, March to the arch continues 

• Like 2

Why oh why did I waste money to watch the same old drab rubbish?  Got a bloody parking ticket into the bargain too.😣

Really hoped Selles would try something a bit different, but other than making a few changes, it was the same old.  Shout out to Aribo, Mara and Ad Armstrong - truly horrendous, pointless performances in which they were were outshone by their L1 opponents. Game changed quite dramatically the moment Perraud came on and we went four at the back, then Stuey Armstrong came on to put an ounce of zing in our play.

But honestly, whoever the new Manager is they’ve got a massive job coaching these players in how to attack with the ball.  Wednesday were going for it with more pace and intent in the first half and for large parts of the second…you could be forgiven for thinking they were the Prem team. It really did remind me of the Lowe days - same feeling of despair and disbelief that we could be that bad. And we were THAT bad - still looking ready for the drop.

11 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Just back. Wow, that first half was something else. As bad as Chelsea first half last season. No one apart from Edozie got more than 3 out 10 for those 45 minutes. Dreadful everywhere.

Better second half (impossible not to be) but over 90 mins I’d say a draw was fair. Which about sums up our level - on a par to a league one side at our home. 
Utterly depressing.

And what on earth was that team selection and those substitutions about?? Was Ralph still there??? Nonsensical, players out of position, uninspiring changes, no youth. Admittedly they were made a bit earlier, but it was like nothing had changed.

I’d imagined there’d be some freedom, chains unshackled sort of response. Complete opposite, more of the same from the bench and the pitch.

Good luck Nathan, cos some of this sh1t seems seriously ingrained.

We seemed to be playing old fashioned 3-2-5 a lot of the time esp in the first half,with Aribo playing deep in a front 5 !! It wasn’t a very good idea , and Aribo seemed lost in his role, though he wan’t the only one.

26 minutes ago, Appy said:

That was abysmal. 

From my perspective tonight A. ARMSTRONG was particularly poor , still looked out of his depth v league one Sheff Wed 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, teamsaint said:

The difference that Stuart Armstrong makes is immense. He actually has high level awareness and touch.

he is a defensive liability at times, but that surely has to be managed.

Agreed , a player who can actually run forwards with the ball, puts them on the back foot 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Why oh why did I waste money to watch the same old drab rubbish?  Got a bloody parking ticket into the bargain too.😣

Really hoped Selles would try something a bit different, but other than making a few changes, it was the same old.  Shout out to Aribo, Mara and Ad Armstrong - truly horrendous, pointless performances in which they were were outshone by their L1 opponents. Game changed quite dramatically the moment Perraud came on and we went four at the back, then Stuey Armstrong came on to put an ounce of zing in our play.

But honestly, whoever the new Manager is they’ve got a massive job coaching these players in how to attack with the ball.  Wednesday were going for it with more pace and intent in the first half and for large parts of the second…you could be forgiven for thinking they were the Prem team. It really did remind me of the Lowe days - same feeling of despair and disbelief that we could be that bad. And we were THAT bad - still looking ready for the drop.

Aribo was an absolute waste of a shirt. Embarrasing performance. Only ones to emerge with anything like credit were Caleta Carr and Perraud. Maybe S Armstrong too

That was a very fortunate win. Agree with most comments. Although I thought A Armstrong wasn't too bad, he did at least work hard.

Edozie was excellent, should be a regular part of the 1st team squad now. In contrast Mara failed to take advantage of his chance. So disappointing.

Perraud, S.Armstrong, and AMN. Came on and joined JWP in actually showing some class.

Those are the positives, the rest was pretty dire.

What on earth has happened to Aribo, he really seems to have deteriorated these last few weeks. No self respecting manager would select him at the moment.

Our new manager has work to do big time. We don't look like a Prem team at all.

However a win is a win, we're in the hat, so there's that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, macca155 said:

That was a very fortunate win. Agree with most comments. Although I thought A Armstrong wasn't too bad, he did at least work hard.

Edozie was excellent, should be a regular part of the 1st team squad now. In contrast Mara failed to take advantage of his chance. So disappointing.

Perraud, S.Armstrong, and AMN. Came on and joined JWP in actually showing some class.

Those are the positives, the rest was pretty dire.

What on earth has happened to Aribo, he really seems to have deteriorated these last few weeks. No self respecting manager would select him at the moment.

Our new manager has work to do big time. We don't look like a Prem team at all.

However a win is a win, we're in the hat, so there's that.

Edozie looks like he has a lot of tricks but end product wasn't quite there, might be because of the players he's got alongside him or needs time to develop his decision making, a good player in there but not necessarily a Premier league starter just yet 

• Like 1

Edozie, Perraud and Caleta-Car were decent.

I've seen Mara a few times now and he looks extremely lightweight and always just looks like he's jogging around. Can't hold it up at all either. He's no where near Che's level unfortunately. 

The less said about Adam Armstrong the better. 

• Like 3

Abject performance aside, if tonight wasn't the nadir of our support, I don't want to know how much lower it goes.

I'll stand up for our yoof all the time they bring the atmosphere.

Tonight? Silence in the stands - yet come half time they were giving it the big 'un in the concourse. Not least through bashing the divider to Block 43 (ooh, that'll spook them!)

Somebody even let off a flare down there, FFS.

Of course it was all phones in the air; got to record it for Instagram. 🙄

And once back out for the second half? Silence.

I'm far from an old fart, but I'm bloody jealous of those of you that got to experience the 'proper' version of this.

Wow that was poor. At least we had some pens excitement at the end to relieve the tedium. Pretty much agree with what’s been said, but for some reason I think there might be a player in Mara, hard to justify on tonight’s showing I know, but just gives me that impression. At the very least I don’t think he’s had enough game time to write him off…yet. 

• Like 1

Some really really awful performances. Namely Aribo, Mara, A Armstrong, Diallo, Lyanco.

Starting Salisu as a LB was certainly an odd choice. And we were much better with Perraud on the pitch. Agree with Edozie, he did ok. But really lacks an end product. You can certainly see why Ralph wasn’t started Edozie or Mara. Thought JWP had a relatively decent game, but he can’t do it all on his own. Especially when Diallo has been so poor. A frustrating evening. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

I think his back up coaches have to take the credit for that particular performance.

Talking of back up coaches I’d love to know what Kelvin, Dave Watson and the other scapegoats that got sacked in the summer make of all the recent goings on.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

Edozie, Perraud and Caleta-Car were decent.

I've seen Mara a few times now and he looks extremely lightweight and always just looks like he's jogging around. Can't hold it up at all either. He's no where near Che's level unfortunately. 

The less said about Adam Armstrong the better. 

Who the fuck thought Mara was worth £10m needs shooting. Added to the two extra City youngsters that hardly feature in the league and the over-priced keeper and that would have a bought a very decent striker. Feel sorry for Nathan Jones having to sort this shower of a squad and football club out. Won’t blame him for relegation and if the club are top half in the Champ next season he’s done well. Hope he’s less tolerant than Ralph was of the club bringing in bits and pieces players he doesn’t need. A stronger stand in the summer would have secured a couple of strikers and I’d have been saying so in the press if I had to front up for it all. Yeah fine, another City youngster etc but where’s my main striker/s I need?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JRM said:

Edozie looks like he has a lot of tricks but end product wasn't quite there, might be because of the players he's got alongside him or needs time to develop his decision making, a good player in there but not necessarily a Premier league starter just yet 

Yes his end oroduct certainly needs work, but he's young and will learn. However he needs someone on the end of his crosses.

Dejenpo can be equally tricky on the other side, although nobody has a clue what he's going to do. If we have those two players then it might be worth using them to pull defenders about a bit.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-1 (p6-5) Sheffield Wednesday - Match Thread

Going by the results elsewhere looks like nobody in the top flight had a breeze against lower opposition. 
Wednesday obviously saw it as a free hit and the way we were playing gave them the confidence to get busy. 
Edozie was about the only bright spark out, but had no one showing for him to unload to after his endeavour. Perraud coming on certainly added a bit of oomph , he needs to have word in Maras ear to tell him to stop being so French Ligue 1 - and get up to Premier League speed. Mrs JBS who as I have mentioned before has a damn good eye for football, uttered that he needs a kick up the backside as he just seems to waft about. 
As for Aribo someone must have switched his left and right boots about  as he looked like they were on the wrong feet. 

Overall there seemed to be an air of the school classroom when the teacher has been called away and there is no danger of being up before the headmaster in the morning. 

I thought it was interesting how quickly things improved with a back 4, particularly how much more offensively Perraud played going forward then with a back 3/5. I just don't think a back 3/5 works for us, hopefully Jones-y realises that pretty quick. We seem much more comfortable in a 4-2-3-1. ABK and DCC seem the best CB pairing at the moment, but I love Lyanco's jeopardy - he'll either do something absolutely spectacular or completely disastrous, and nearly had a heck of an assist!

Mara seems to still need time, but Edozie really impressed - he needs to strengthen in the final third a bit but there's a heck of a player in there! Still think, as heretical as this may be, that Prowsey needs dropping for a while. He's not showing anything in performance or leadership to guarantee his name on the team sheet each game, maybe Jones-y will be brave enough to look at the captaincy.

24 minutes ago, angelman said:

Penalty shoot outs.....

I hate them and actually never bother to stay to watch them, well at least not last night or the previous one we had. I thought that I was alone in this, but was surprised by the number of people who, like me, left at full time.

Chicken! 🤪

Penalties were pretty good last night, because they were fraught with danger as each Saints player who stepped up, aside from Prowsey, had shown in recent games that the couldn’t hit the goal from within 6 yards let alone 12. It was quite funny as each one stepped up the regulars around us were looking through there fingers.
When the first Wednesday penalty squirmed in under McCarthys arm you did think “was that the chance”. 

Thanks for heading home early as after watching the Liverpool penalties on the concourse TV with lots of others getting out of Southampton was very easy 😁

• Like 1

Don't think we really learnt anything new. Diallo, Adam Armstrong and Walcott are tragically bad and most of the rest of them aren't much better. First half was atrocious, second half a marked improvement but still so far off the level required. Good luck to Jones getting this rabble to play well and win games. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Southner said:

We can score penalties, so we just need to draw fouls in the box from here on, and we'll escape the drop. Simple.

I don't think we should be relying on Theo to get goals from open play. 

Nah, I mean, what can we expect of someone who is only paid 75k a week? You get what you pay for.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, saintant said:

Nah, I mean, what can we expect of someone who is only paid 75k a week? You get what you pay for.

True, and to be fair, if the defender wasn't there to clear the first of his two quick fire attempts off the line, he would've likely missed the target, so thankfully the defender spared his blushes. 

• Confused 1