Saints v Brentford - Postponed

ErwinK1961

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Weird take on the death of a 96 year old woman born into greater privilege and standing than any of us could ever imagine. Sorry if I want to get on with my life and enjoy it - I’m not sure what cancelling entertainment and sport does for anyone. 

It’s not just any old 96 year old is it?

Because you don’t understand respect doesn’t mean others do.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

It’s not just any old 96 year old is it?

Because you don’t understand respect doesn’t mean others do.

There are plenty of people who work tirelessly all their lives to serve others and we don't cancel everything for them. 

All this is is that she was the queen and people want to force us to respect something that doesn't actually mean anything. It's basically another religion except this one gets imposed on us way more than any other

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 8

Prince William allegedly in favour of the games going ahead (from one of these clickbait FB pages so I wouldn't take that as gospel) but can't help but feel like we might benefit from not playing until October. We have two winnable games coming up and Lavia has been one of our best players (possibly even our best) this season. The less games he misses the better.

8 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

There are plenty of people who work tirelessly all their lives to serve others and we don't cancel everything for them. 

All this is is that she was the queen and people want to force us to respect something that doesn't actually mean anything. It's basically another religion except this one gets imposed on us way more than any other

Are you completely stupid or have you been practicing?

This is not unique to the U.K. Whenever a leading figure be it monarchy or presidential etc pass away IN ANY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD there is a period of mourning. Everything gets cancelled as a mark of respect. In the more religious countries (India as an example) they go to lengths that will outstrip anything we see in the coming days.

Wether you like, approve, support  the Monarchy or not The Queen served this country for 70 years……70 years !!!

To put you out by cancelling a bloody football match which, if we didn’t win no doubt you would moan about for days, is small beer compared with the enormity of the event.

FFS.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, SambaMaverick said:

Trains / tickets / accomodation booked, small businesses will have done their orders, workers will be banking on the hours - can't stress enough what a poor and out of touch decision it would be to cancel games.

And that's before we get into the whole mourning debate.

Because no game has ever been cancelled or moved before. 
FWIW I am torn between 2 I am in favour of 1 min silence, black armbands and GSTQ and play games shows respect and unity.

However I do get that those that work at events and at clubs want the chance to mourn and show their respect too.

1 minute ago, Give it to Ron said:

FWIW I am torn between 2 I am in favour of 1 min silence, black armbands and GSTQ and play games shows respect and unity.

However I do get that those that work at events and at clubs want the chance to mourn and show their respect too.

Surely you can see the difference between one or two games being cancelled as opposed to every game across the pyramid?

• Like 1

If it's true that William is trying to get the games to go ahead, the cynic in me can't help but feel that he wants the games to go ahead because Villa have Leicester who are in a horrific run of form and he, as a (in fairness quite genuine and committed) Villa fan wants to capitalise on that. I'm sure that's not the only reason but I bet that's in the back of his mind...😂

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

None of us are getting any time off to mourn so, in that respect, sport will be no different to the rest of the country.

Any chance on some clarity so I can make adjustments to the next 8 days.

Its sad, but she's dead. She had some damn good inings. 

I didn't get her last bank holiday off, and I don't get her funeral off either. But for her to stick the knife in a screw up my beer plans takes the piss. 

My advice Charlie, draw a blue line and move on. Works for me........

I was due to be at Wentworth today but it was cancelled (and refunded) at the last minute !

Im staying with family so no cost implications but that’s not the case for many…

Players coming from around the world too so I’m really quite surprised that it’s happened !

Whatever happens within the sporting world, I’ll live with, but inevitably some people will have suffered financially as well as short term inconvenience !!

23 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Are you completely stupid or have you been practicing?

This is not unique to the U.K. Whenever a leading figure be it monarchy or presidential etc pass away IN ANY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD there is a period of mourning. Everything gets cancelled as a mark of respect. In the more religious countries (India as an example) they go to lengths that will outstrip anything we see in the coming days.

Wether you like, approve, support  the Monarchy or not The Queen served this country for 70 years……70 years !!!

To put you out by cancelling a bloody football match which, if we didn’t win no doubt you would moan about for days, is small beer compared with the enormity of the event.

FFS.

Why though? Just saying "that's what people do" isn't an argument for doing it.

Anyway, looks like hopefully sense is going to prevail and football is going ahead

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tamesaint said:

It says so much about her that she did her constitutional duty with 2 prime minister's just a matter of hours before she died.

On a lighter note,in my fridge I have a bottle of milk that has seen 2 Prime ministers and 2 monarchs!!

I wonder how Gordon Stachan's yogurt is these days?

Edited by Suhari
Giggidy.

The government has told the Premier League and other sports that this weekend’s action can go ahead but has left the final decision up to them.

It is expected that cricket and golf will be back tomorrow, with England’s third Test against South Africa resuming along with the PGA Championship at Wentworth. It also looks increasingly likely Sunday’s Great North Run will take place.

There is also an expectation that after the publication of official guidance, rugby league at all levels will also go ahead this weekend – including the Super League playoff on Saturday.

However it is unclear what football’s position will be, with the Premier League clubs meeting at 11am BST to discuss what to do.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/sep/09/sport-football-weekend-fixtures-queen-government

I reckon it'll go ahead

49 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

If it's true that William is trying to get the games to go ahead, the cynic in me can't help but feel that he wants the games to go ahead because Villa have Leicester who are in a horrific run of form and he, as a (in fairness quite genuine and committed) Villa fan wants to capitalise on that. I'm sure that's not the only reason but I bet that's in the back of his mind...😂

Can support a future King with that kind of decision making. 

So annoying. Whenever these games are postponed, they always seem to come back as mid-weekers which, from a selfish perspective, are far worse for me and the kids since we drive a fair way to them - often we have to miss them because of school nights etc. Silly decision IMO.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints v Brentford - Postponed

The British love nothing better than a good “mourn”. Stupid decision which will inconvenience many not to mention put a lot out of pocket. And what good will it do? Not surprised however the PL not one to put there head above the parapet and take on the likes of the Daily Mail. 
It never happened in 1952 so why now? 

The Queen did a fantastic job and I salute her service to the country but I just don’t see why a game of football can’t be played. The crowd could have paid their respects in public by having a minutes silence which would have been impeccably observed I reckon. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

The British love nothing better than a good “mourn”. Stupid decision which will inconvenience many not to mention put a lot out of pocket. And what good will it do? Not surprised however the PL not one to put there head above the parapet and take on the likes of the Daily Mail. 
It never happened in 1952 so why now? 

The Queen did a fantastic job and I salute her service to the country but I just don’t see why a game of football can’t be played. The crowd could have paid their respects in public by having a minutes silence which would have been impeccably observed I reckon. 

To be fair even the horse racing, which was her sport, have cancelled Saturday although they are starting up again on Sunday.  Maybe the Premier League could have kept the four games scheduled Sunday and Monday on the cards but I suppose the “big” clubs playing Saturday would have created about unfair fixture congestion which others haven’t got !!

9 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Bit over the top. How long is anything fun banned for?

They've even called off local kids games which is just bizarre.

On the other hand, live music is still going ahead so get yourself down Heartbreakers tomorrow night for the Japanese Television gig.