Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

I hope we hear something from Stuart Armstrong when he eventually leaves (likely this Summer to be fair). 

Ralph didn't seem keen on him towards the end and now NJ isn't using him either. He obviously isn't the best player in the world but I think 99% of this forum would agree he's better than what we've got. Emphasised by the biggest (only?) cheer on Wednesday night being when he was brought onto the pitch.

He must be an absolute ass, or just remarkably lazy in training, because it really doesn't make much sense. Especially when you watch who plays in front of him each week.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

I don't. Not one bit. Allegedly on £4m per year for 3 years. So after he's sacked for being the worst PL manager in history he'll probably walk away with close to £10m, for a couple of months work of being an abject loser.

As an abject loser myself I can confirm that is grossly unfair.

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, OldNick said:

Who would take a job, that basically is you have to take 18-22 year olds, make them better, play attractive football and oh as you build your team the better ones are sold.

Ok I wasnt over the moon us having NJ but boy do we make it harder for ourselves and the players by totally turning on him within a few games. Shame is that once people have made their mind up / listened to others and like sheep decide all is crap. Sometimes you get what you vote for and there you have Brexit

Total nonsense and to compound the illogical opinion given the kids playground tactics we have endured at every game under Jones you make a totally unrelated comparison with sheep and Brexit lol … 

Around 95% of supporters have seen enough of this Jones crap, if you think they are all just sheep you truly should make more critical analysis of all the evidence and not assume that everyone else is stupid.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, OldNick said:

Doswell saying that ABK gave up may look pretty stupid if the rumours that ABK has done his ACL!!!!

Agreed. As soon as I heard him say that I switched off.

I've seen a couple of similar mentions. Perhaps the same person or maybe just parroting what he said. Either way, I question how they came to that conclusion. I saw what happened and it was a nasty slip. He should have been stronger, then when he got a nudge he slipped awkwardly and it looked bad. He looked in real trouble.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badger said:

LGTL (SINCE EDITED)

I agree the appointment was a poor one, and doesn't look like ending well, but come on we don't have to plummet the depths to the character assassination and some of the spiteful comments made, some filtering from his time at Stoke. I'm sure many of us have taken a job and found within a short time that it was a mistake, I'm out of my depth, or not what I was expecting.

The culprits are the people who appointed him, and are removed from the front line of supporters abuse (or at least think they are).

Eh, the near-unanimous dislike is what I find interesting. When thousands of people highly motivated to pay close attention to you immediately decide you're a twat, chances are you're a twat.

Edited by verlaine1979
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gammon cheeks said:

Roberto Martinez anyone ?

Our defence is made for him.

Still have him here though. Always liked the way he comes across when interviewed and the way he wants to play the game. Hoping he would be another Strachan - learning from his mistakes - and turn us around.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

Agreed. As soon as I heard him say that I switched off.

I've seen a couple of similar mentions. Perhaps the same person or maybe just parroting what he said. Either way, I question how they came to that conclusion. I saw what happened and it was a nasty slip. He should have been stronger, then when he got a nudge he slipped awkwardly and it looked bad. He looked in real trouble.

You’d hope an apology is forthcoming if it is a bad injury. 

The injury was following a couple of errors,  Che Adams mis placed an incredibly easy pass and then ABK did a bambi  on ice impression…..

42 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

I don't. Not one bit. Allegedly on £4m per year for 3 years. So after he's sacked for being the worst PL manager in history he'll probably walk away with close to £10m, for a couple of months work of being an abject loser.

Where do you get that figure from? He was on approximately £350,000 a year at Luton. Why would SR pay him ten times that?

5 hours ago, Dman said:

The Eddie Howe stuff is 100% true. We had him all lined up, we pulled out last minute and stuck with Ralph. I think if I remember rightly we had a slight uplift in form. 

He then went to Newcastle and the rest is obviously history. 

To be honest, I’m still amazed it never happened, but things change quickly in football. 

Oh my. 

7 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

If you are going to call out a player like that - its a pretty damning accusation - firstly you had better have some justification, some evidence to support it and finally you need to be pretty certain. 

Unless he's a very good actor, the grimace on his face as he tried to walk it off, tells me he was in a fair bit of pain.

1 hour ago, Dark Munster said:

Is this naievity or do you truly believe that all football managers' contracts are paid out in full when they are sacked?

Is there no possibility that a clause could have been put in the contract that allows it to be cancelled based on the manager being shit?  Surely in a results driven sport something would be put in place to mitigate for poor performance....

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I needed to let some time pass after the Forest game before adding my feelings to this topic,  lest my post come across like one of Richard Chorely's rabid "open letters". Such was my fury at watching my beloved Club turned into a complete laughing stock on Wednesday night.

The appointment of Nathan Jones as the manager (I use the term loosely) of our Club bordered upon criminal negligence.

The moment rumours of his imminent left-field appointment began circling, the outcry from pretty much all Southampton fans everywhere was deafening. It was why I felt the need to start the original poll on whether anyone (other than his family members) actually wanted him here. To present a crystal clear visual representation on just how universally unpopular his appointment would be. Not that I actually believed it would make a difference, such has been the overriding arrogance and contempt shown towards our Club's own fanbase by our so called custodians for some time now. But still, in desperation, I felt I had to try something., to make the Club at least aware of how we felt.

Naturally, our unanimous voice fell upon the intentionality deaf ears of the arrogant self-important cunts that we now have running our Club (into the ground) who think they are so much cleverer than everyone else, that they know better what is best for our club than the United voice of It's supporters.

We all knew from the very outset that appointing Nathan Jones was one of the biggest disasters in our history, waiting to happen. And that is why, now, there is such an outpouring of anger and vitriol from us, as the resulting absolute and completely avoidable debacle that has since befallen us, has unravelled before our eyes, whilst we have been powerless to prevent it.

Obvious clusterfuck, was clusterfucking obvious. [Insert rolling eyes emoticon]

It is not just the horrendous results on the pitch, or the hideous monstrosity of the "football" being served up for us. It is that Nathan Jones was so very clearly wrong for us, in every imaginable  way. And yet some utter fuckwit went ahead and essentially ruined our beloved Football Club anyway, based on some unstated and nebulous "metrics". Because they were so much cleverer than everyone else, and so visionary as to see what a roaring success a no-mark hoofball merchant from Luton Town was destined to bring to an established Premier League football club (formerly)famed for our attractive attacking brand of exciting pressing football.

Absolutely everything about Nathan Jones was so visibly not right for us. From his lack of experience and gravitas, to the way he carries himself. His unprofessional appearance and demenor, his complete lack of media savvy, to his nailbiting nervousness. And all that without taking into consideration that anyone who publicly uses the term "daftee" is clearly an almighty bellend. :)

The longer this absolute trainwreck is allowed to continue smashing through the reputation of our proud Football  Club, the more serious and longlasting the damage will be, and the bigger laughingstock we shall  become. 

This debacle needs to end. It needs to end right now.

• Like 15

11 hours ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Nathan Jones is like the management equivalent of the Wealdstone Raider 😃

On this, did anyone else notice NJ’s assistant constantly eyeballing 1 of Forests coaching team for the final 30 minutes. He seemed a little unhinged about him after they initially squared up to each other. 

He then confronted him for a second time at the final whistle. 

Edited by Raging Bull

11 minutes ago, Raging Bull said:

On this, did anyone else notice NJ’s assistant constantly eyeballing 1 of Forests coaching team for the final 30 minutes. He seemed a little unhinged about him after they initially squared up to each other. 

He then confronted him for a second time at the final whistle. 

Is he also from a Welsh mining town? Be careful of so, hardest bastards on the world that lot

50 minutes ago, Rivers said:

I needed to let some time pass after the Forest game before adding my feelings to this topic,  lest my post come across like one of Richard Chorely's rabid "open letters". Such was my fury at watching my beloved Club turned into a complete laughing stock on Wednesday night.

The appointment of Nathan Jones as the manager (I use the term loosely) of our Club bordered upon criminal negligence.

The moment rumours of his imminent left-field appointment began circling, the outcry from pretty much all Southampton fans everywhere was deafening. It was why I felt the need to start the original poll on whether anyone (other than his family members) actually wanted him here. To present a crystal clear visual representation on just how universally unpopular his appointment would be. Not that I actually believed it would make a difference, such has been the overriding arrogance and contempt shown towards our Club's own fanbase by our so called custodians for some time now. But still, in desperation, I felt I had to try something., to make the Club at least aware of how we felt.

Naturally, our unanimous voice fell upon the intentionality deaf ears of the arrogant self-important cunts that we now have running our Club (into the ground) who think they are so much cleverer than everyone else, that they know better what is best for our club than the United voice of It's supporters.

We all knew from the very outset that appointing Nathan Jones was one of the biggest disasters in our history, waiting to happen. And that is why, now, there is such an outpouring of anger and vitriol from us, as the resulting absolute and completely avoidable debacle that has since befallen us, has unravelled before our eyes, whilst we have been powerless to prevent it.

It is not just the horrendous results on the pitch, or the hideous monstrosity of the "football" being served up for us. It is that Nathan Jones was so very clearly wrong for us, in every imaginable  way. And yet some utter fuckwit went ahead and essentially ruined our beloved Football Club anyway, based on some unstated and nebulous "metrics". Because they were so much cleverer than everyone else, and so visionary as to see what a roaring success a no-mark hoofball merchant from Luton Town was destined to bring to an established Premier League football club (formerly)famed for our attractive attacking brand of exciting pressing football.

Absolutely everything about Nathan Jones was so visibly not right for us. From his lack of experience and gravitas, to the way he carries himself. His unprofessional appearance and demenor, his complete lack of media savvy, to his nailbiting nervousness. And all that without taking into consideration that anyone who publicly uses the term "daftee" is clearly an almighty bellend. :)

The longer this absolute trainwreck is allowed to continue smashing through the reputation of our proud Football  Club, the more serious and longlasting the damage will be, and the bigger laughingstock we shall  become. 

You don't like him then? 

:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Chez said:

Our defence is made for him.

Still have him here though. Always liked the way he comes across when interviewed and the way he wants to play the game. Hoping he would be another Strachan - learning from his mistakes - and turn us around.

didnt mange to do anything with belgium and THAT SQUAD ................

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Chez said:

Where do you get that figure from? He was on approximately £350,000 a year at Luton. Why would SR pay him ten times that?

I think Radio Solent mentioned it. Why would they pay him that? ... maybe because they are the idiots who chose him in the first place?

Anyway, hopefully the figures are wrong, and he signed a contract that doesn't pay him more than a year if he's sacked.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rivers said:

I don’t disagree with you one little bit but you call the people who run our club “custodians”. I wish they were but unfortunately they own us and there is fuck all we can do about it. Custodians can be removed. 

7 hours ago, Roo1976 said:

didnt mange to do anything with belgium and THAT SQUAD ................

Fair point. They did take 3rd place in the 2018 world cup. In 2020 Euros they lost to winners Italy in the quarter final. Maybe they were past their best by 2022. 

If you follow Doswell's line, then its all about levels. And managing Saints might be his level. 

• Like 2

On 05/01/2023 at 22:16, FarehamSaintJames said:

The Havant & Waterlooville manager sees everything that we see 🤷🏻‍♂️

Good listen that and pretty damming. Interesting comments on Cortese, spending and the training ground. Confirms what I said at the time and everyone told me I was wrong, Cortese was just ambitious and ruthless 😇

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Soggy Bottom said:

He's not in any of the Orsic signing photos, is this a sign 🤞

Jones didn't feature in the accompanying 'behind the scenes' arrival video either. My recollection is that you usually see a welcome handshake from the boss in most, if not all, of these new player videos previously. Hmm, who knows...?

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Good listen that and pretty damming. Interesting comments on Cortese, spending and the training ground. Confirms what I said at the time and everyone told me I was wrong, Cortese was just ambitious and ruthless 😇

Yep. It shows me that he had info that wasn't in the public domain. Like you I got shot down for passing on info about Cortese. The bloke was out of control. That overspend on staplewood (from memory) was about £17m. I hadn't heard the £600 fish story though! 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, trousers said:

Jones didn't feature in the accompanying 'behind the scenes' arrival video either. My recollection is that you usually see a welcome handshake from the boss in most, if not all, of these new player videos previously. Hmm, who knows...?

Hopefully a positive sign of the Board coming to senses. 

6 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

I think Radio Solent mentioned it. Why would they pay him that? ... maybe because they are the idiots who chose him in the first place?

Anyway, hopefully the figures are wrong, and he signed a contract that doesn't pay him more than a year if he's sacked.

Whatever it is, it's going to hurt if we have to pay him off five minutes after paying off Ralph.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, trousers said:

Ankersen and co. must realise they've made a dud appointment.   There would be a lot of goodwill from most supporters if Jones was removed without delay.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Give him the game today if we lose or no improvement get him gone before more further damage is done. 

Bo Svenson 
Tedesco
Matthias Jaissle

Would be my pick even if we go down give them time to implement a style and identify 👍 

Shouldn't even be getting the opportunity of today put selles in charge... My worry is if he pulls off a cup result it will encourage them to stick with him even longer ala Ralph... Basically if even the Ralph out people had known this suicidal appointment was the alternative we would have stuck with the devil we knew! 

Edited by Mr X
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The injury was following a couple of errors,  Che Adams mis placed an incredibly easy pass and then ABK did a bambi  on ice impression…..

Another thing that he said that always annoys was 'did he play the game' re Ankerson. Apparently is a pro footballers eyes only players know the game.

Tell that to Mourhinho and Wenger, 2 of the most successful managers in World /PL football

30 minutes ago, egg said:

Yep. It shows me that he had info that wasn't in the public domain. Like you I got shot down for passing on info about Cortese. The bloke was out of control. That overspend on staplewood (from memory) was about £17m. I hadn't heard the £600 fish story though! 

Yeah I knew a bloke who worked on the project. He’s not really interested in football but told me quite a bit about what was going on. I also knew someone at the club in a fairly senior role so had a lot of inside info at the time. Our fans go on about how amazing he was because he told them what they wanted to hear. It’s a shame that the one time we have had a chairman that had a bit about him he was an narcissistic dwarf. 

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yeah I knew a bloke who worked on the project. He’s not really interested in football but told me quite a bit about what was going on. I also knew someone at the club in a fairly senior role so had a lot of inside info at the time. Our fans go on about how amazing he was because he told them what they wanted to hear. It’s a shame that the one time we have had a chairman that had a bit about him he was an narcissistic dwarf. 

My contact was loose lipped and his position meant that he knew all that there was to know. What was said about Cortese was frightening, and had the bloke stayed we would have been properly in the shit. Changing plans on the training ground on a whim, and after footings had been dug was unreal. It was an ego trip with someone elses money. That all said, it was fun while it lasted!! 

Edited by egg
  • Like 1

Just now, egg said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we knew the same person. My contact with him ended years ago, but he was loose lipped and his position meant that he knew all that there was to know. What was said about Cortese was frightening, and had the bloke stayed we would have been properly in the shit. Changing plans on the training ground on a whim, and after footings had been dug was unreal. It was an ego trip with someone elses money. That all said, it was fun while it lasted!! 

and we had good managers

8 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Another thing that he said that always annoys was 'did he play the game' re Ankerson. Apparently is a pro footballers eyes only players know the game.

Tell that to Mourhinho and Wenger, 2 of the most successful managers in World /PL football

Who did Cortese play for? 

Actually, who did Doswell play for? I’m not being funny, I don’t know. I tried to Google it but most results were about him being banned for racially abusing a German non league manager. 

It seems a bit weird that a non league manager would start throwing “did he play the game”, whilst commenting on a premier league set up. The logical extension of that is “who have you managed”. 

I don't really want to see anyone sacked or not given a reasonable chance to impose their strategy. Having said that, I am really struggling to warm to Nathan Jones - from his personal demeanour to the comments he is making to the press. He just doesn't come across as particularly likeable and I feel bad that I am thinking that.

Even Ian Branfoot had something about him. I went as guest of a sponsor to a Reading game when he was their manager and he came in before the game and gave a talk about his team selection and was warm and friendly (you could argue that he should have been with his players at that time). He also had his way of playing that he tried to impose - and didn't see "luxury players" such as MLT as part of that, which majorly contributed to his unpopularity and downfall.

• Like 1

I had someone come into my place of work effing and jeffing. I asked him what was wrong and he said ‘that little f()cking pr1ck has changed his mind again!’ - I asked him where was working and he said he was at Staplewood.

I dug a bit more and it was one of the contractors doing some of the interior work in the buildings. He’d ordered some 55k sliding doors, fitted them and NC said ‘take them down, don’t like them’ and refused to pay for the outlay. 

Not exactly what I wanted to hear at the time as I was a huge Cortese fanboi. Tbh, it’s a shame really as if you put the  evidently terrible stuff about Cortese aside (flippantly spending other people’s money, his attitude towards staff etc) he was pretty much what we all wanted in a chairman. He had a vision and was acting upon it, but sadly to the detriment of someone else’s finances and whoever stood in his way.

Edited by Crab Lungs

10 hours ago, Turkish said:

Is he also from a Welsh mining town? Be careful of so, hardest bastards on the world that lot

A lot of my family are miners from the valley. They’re the ugliest bunch of people I’ve ever clapped eyes on. Saw a picture of them when I was around 11 years old and it scared the daylights outta me. 

They looked like something out of the hills have eyes! 

Not sure how I turned out so pretty to be honest. Must be the southern air

Edited by Raging Bull
  • Haha 5

54 minutes ago, Chez said:

I wonder what the record number of consecutive defeats is for a new manager.

Has anyone considered that the owners are just really big Guinness book of records fans and want to earn as many as they can?

Biggest PL loss? Got it mate.

1 hour ago, trousers said:

I don’t know what the timings were with him actually signing and doing the media bit and I presume that Nathan and the squad went up to London after training yesterday afternoon? But you would have thought that he would have stayed behind for the unveiling of a key new signing.

18 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

I had someone come into my place of work effing and jeffing. I asked him what was wrong and he said ‘that little f()cking pr1ck has changed his mind again!’ - I asked him where was working and he said he was at Staplewood.

I dug a bit more and it was one of the contractors doing some of the interior work in the buildings. He’d ordered some 55k sliding doors, fitted them and NC said ‘take them down, don’t like them’ and refused to pay for the outlay. 

Not exactly what I wanted to hear at the time as I was a huge Cortese fanboi. Tbh, it’s a shame really as if you put the  evidently terrible stuff about Cortese aside (flippantly spending other people’s money, his attitude towards staff etc) he was pretty much what we all wanted in a chairman. He had a vision and was acting upon it, but sadly to the detriment of someone else’s finances and whoever stood in his way.

We might know the same person as I heard exactly the same story. He would also refuse to wear a high viz and hard hat on site, saying I’m paying for this I will wear what I want.

You’re right about him being what we’d want, ambition, plan, driven, had a bit of charisma about him. Unfortunately he was an absolute bellend who treated everyone like dirt. My favourite story about him was when he got himself banned from the coriander lounge, still make me laugh thinking about it 🤣🤣

12 minutes ago, Turkish said:

We might know the same person as I heard exactly the same story. He would also refuse to wear a high viz and hard hat on site, saying I’m paying for this I will wear what I want.

You’re right about him being what we’d want, ambition, plan, driven, had a bit of charisma about him. Unfortunately he was an absolute bellend who treated everyone like dirt. My favourite story about him was when he got himself banned from the coriander lounge, still make me laugh thinking about it 🤣🤣

I definitely think there’s some crossovers from the people we both know! This guy I didn’t know, but he’d been in a few times but I’d not spoken to him until then.

He was absolutely furious. This wasn’t the first time Cortese had changed his mind on something and then refused to pay once it was installed, apparently 😂

Oh do remind me of the Coriander Lounge story? Was it you also who mentioned he had a chef from there (or somewhere in town) make him his own food or something? 

I fully accept NJ start has not been the most impressive (understatement) but I firmly believe we need to give him a fair chance, the term fair being subjective of course and will differ for each of us.

Some on here didn't want him in the first place, some have given up on him and others, perhaps we are few, are prepared to allow him some time.

I wholeheartedly agree Wednesday nights performance was abysmal, I can't recall so much long ball, to the point I started to get a stiff neck.

Why do I say give him time?

The club seem to be supportive, we are recruiting players, indeed if you believe some of the posts on here, even some back room staff.

Why when you have players coming in, presumably based on NJs requirements, would you then jettison him before he has had a chance to implement his ideas using these new additions. Its not as though we were high flying under RH (who I would have had stay.

Get rid now and we would likely have another incoming manager cast their rule over these new arrivals and if unsatisfied then potentially go on another recruitment drive to fulfil his requirements? All precious time lost in my opinion.

My view is we see what he does in these next two cup matches and then scrutinise the team set and performance against the Toffee's. If by that time it remains hoofing it up to  our diminutive 'strikers'  and I use the term strikers loosely, then perhaps we will have to accept he is not the man for us and make a quick panic buy for a manager in the mould of a Dyche.

I hope of course that we will start to see the development of a cohesive team and a manager with a discernible way or style of playing - We can but hope!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Who did Cortese play for? 

Actually, who did Doswell play for? I’m not being funny, I don’t know. I tried to Google it but most results were about him being banned for racially abusing a German non league manager. 

It seems a bit weird that a non league manager would start throwing “did he play the game”, whilst commenting on a premier league set up. The logical extension of that is “who have you managed”. 

Dozzy was a Wessex League reserve player and played Sunday Premier League (which was a good standard back then).

2 hours ago, trousers said:

Hard nuts from the Welsh valleys don't do welcome handshakes.

• Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones
  • AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!