Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

Just now, Weston Super Saint said:

Odd.

Did we beat Brighton, Forest and Fulham then?

As I pointed out we were also shit in the first half against Palace. The improvement has been since then.

I've never said we will NEVER improve after the Lincoln game, just that we DIDN'T at that point.

Maybe it escaped you, but we actually got worse....

Season 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

You do know, you dont have to win a game to show you are getting better.

We were clearly improving v Fulham, defensively better v Forrest (apart from the brain fart), and better v Palace. Then we beat City - another improvement. And well, not sure if you heard, we just beat Everton away, first time since 1997 - think that is another improvement.

If it helps, you still got time to nip to Homebase and get a new spade for that whole your digging…

Anyhow - Im not sure I got any more posts left for today, and dont want to revel in your despair - have a great evening - we actually won a game!

20 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Some people can’t help themselves, you seriously think the pile on has made a blind bit of difference to the way he’s managing ? Dear god…

if you watch his interviews, it's clear that the criticism has got to him. I reckon he's wanted to silence the doubters if nothing else. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Odd.

Did we beat Brighton, Forest and Fulham then?

As I pointed out we were also shit in the first half against Palace. The improvement has been since then.

I've never said we will NEVER improve after the Lincoln game, just that we DIDN'T at that point.

Maybe it escaped you, but we actually got worse....

We played ok against Fulham(barring 2 set pieces), a team that has beaten Palace, Chelsea & leicester and sit 6th in the table.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Toadhall Saint said:

And I think he has. 

Yep. He has me. His enthusiasm and fighting spirit has clearly transferred to the players. Tactically he's not afraid to make changes that make a positive difference. He understands what subs are for, and how/when to use them. Credit where it's due. 

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Not sure that worked weston

Nathan Jones reveals on Wednesday two players came to him during the game against City and shared concerns about going to a back five. He says it's "absolutely" a positive that the players can feel comfortable in offering their advice.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Some people can’t help themselves, you seriously think the pile on has made a blind bit of difference to the way he’s managing ? Dear god…

It's true, we only won at Palace as our fans started singing Nathan Jones your football is shit, fans take all the credit for the turn around 👏 

Jones was clearly affected by the fans opinions, being the little aggressive man from a hard mining town, it would have driven him on. Well done the fans.

It looks like we are stuck with him for a while. Our only hope now is for Wales to sack Robert Page and offer NJ the job he can't turn down.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

ffs we’ve just won 3 games in a week, and the players are clearly playing for him. 

To be fair, I do think he was stung by the criticism. Am thinking he didn't realise just how broken this club is. Am  not a fan of his, but if he keeps us up, you can't really argue with the appointment. 

Players obviously like him and are playing for him.

I like that he has a bit of fight and character.

He has just won 3 games in 7 days against PL teams.

Defensively more solid.

Scored twice in 3 games in a row.

Excellent work from NJ who looks a great fit for what we need.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 6

40 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

ffs we’ve just won 3 games in a week, and the players are clearly playing for him. 

Please about the results obviously and pleased that it's settling down with the players, shows how professional the players are.

I don't like the bloke, he looks and talks like a alchie bench shouter that you find in a run down town centre. Responding to the fan chants was embarrassing and his hyped up actions after those wins is also embarrassing. His coaching team are tin pot and they will probably struggle to keep us up, and if he does is he really the man to push us on.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 3

45 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

To be fair, I do think he was stung by the criticism. Am thinking he didn't realise just how broken this club is. Am  not a fan of his, but if he keeps us up, you can't really argue with the appointment. 

I think when he heard the manager of Havant and Waterlooville was slagging him off he must have thought fuck this I'm going to prove a few people wrong , let's hope he does. I think it's a shame fans gone on his back so quickly, he'll always remember that 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Stud mark of doom said:

corner well and truly turned. 

Hopefully all the “out of his depth” nonsense & “your football is shit” pony will end. Some supporters and pundits clearly lost their heads and perspective. We can now get behind the side & Jonesy , creating a decent atmosphere against Villa, instead of the toxic one he could be facing. Both away wins we went behind & came back fighting. Although you never want to give away the first goal, it is great to see a Saints side that doesn’t crumble & fold when going behind. There’s no doubt Jonsey should take great credit for that aspect of the past week. I hope he enjoys the rest of his weekend, it’ll probably be the best he’s felt for quite a long time. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Please about the results obviously and pleased that it's settling down with the players, shows how professional the players are.

I don't like the bloke, he looks and talks like a alchie bench shouter that you find in a run down town centre. Responding to the fan chants was embarrassing and his hyped up actions after those wins is also embarrassing. His coaching team are tin pot and they will probably struggle to keep us up, and if he does is he really the man to push us on.

If he keeps us up he will have earnt the right to do so and fair play to him. He's really turned things around and now deserves time to show what he can do. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Hopefully all the “out of his depth” nonsense & “your football is shit” pony will end. Some supporters and pundits clearly lost their heads and perspective. We can now get behind the side & Jonesy , creating a decent atmosphere against Villa, instead of the toxic one he could be facing. Both away wins we went behind & came back fighting. Although you never want to give away the first goal, it is great to see a Saints side that doesn’t crumble & fold when going behind. There’s no doubt Jonsey should take great credit for that aspect of the past week. I hope he enjoys the rest of his weekend, it’ll probably be the best he’s felt for quite a long time. 

With JWPs two goals and decent aggressive playing style, maybe you can layoff the son-in-law 'pony'.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Weird

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Fan The Flames said:

1 prem win and everyone is a happy clapper 

Same could be said about the Forest loss, everyone was a bedwetter. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think the reason why both results gain so much emotional reaction is that they were massive games.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

It’s funny, because reading your post it sounds to me like you’ve just described yourself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Crab Lungs said:

Same could be said about the Forest loss, everyone was a bedwetter. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think the reason why both results gain so much emotional reaction is that they were massive games.

I think the problem was the fixtures. Had we had on paper three tougher games against the top 6, nobody would have seriously questioned if we had lost all three. The fact that the three games were kinder fixtures that we all thought we should get points, and didn't, meant that the pressure from the fans was on Jones almost straight away. 

2 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Not really - just not throwing trash comments at a man we do not know and is trying his best to improve the club we all care a lot about.

Trying his best is a minimum requirement for a manager, for any job. All our managers in the past got trash comments, read back the stuff written about Ralph.

• Like 1

To be honest, I quite like his prickly personality. I love the fact every other fanbase seems to hate him. It appears he's installed that fighting, "us against everyone else", mentality Luton fans were talking about like I hoped he would. His appointment was certainly underwhelming for me at the time but the more I read about him, the more I thought it could just work. I think if we'd got to 5PM today with his only win being against Lincoln, I might have started to turn against him but we're now seeing some real improvement so finally there's some positivity for us to build on.

As he says, he's not a miracle worker and there's a long way to go before things are rosy again but hopefully everyone can start pulling in the same direction now and we can give ourselves a chance of getting out of this mess.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 8
  • Sad 1

Today was excellent. Players are clearly with him. We also played pretty well and kept pushing. It has been awhile since that was the case. Forest was a shocker, but today was a team getting much better. Still need a couple more players mind. 

I wasn’t sure, had my doubts, but after the game I was more than happy to cheer him enthusiastically when he came over to us. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fan The Flames said:

Fuck sake Doswell, let it go son

• Haha 11

12 minutes ago, Simo is back said:

After 3 wins in a row (all against Premier league teams) if your not thinking its time to get behind him and the players for the rest of the season then you're a bit of a dinlo.

This really. Winning 3 games in a row, two of them being away and one being against one of the best sides in the world is a pretty good turnaround. Maybe he does just need a bit of time.

There is no reason why we shouldn't get behind the team and the manager from here on in because let's be honest, he isn't going anywhere. 

• Like 6

On 13/01/2023 at 16:42, AlexLaw76 said:

JwP on the radio earlier......

Stated that huge confidence from the last 2 games

Need to keep a loud goodison quiet as much as possible and believe we can get a result

We had become far too nice.  Nice club, nice games for away fans down on the coast, nice to play against, just nice all over

New manager demands that we are not nice, not nice to play against and make it a not nice experience for away teams at St Marys

New manager is shaping us up to be more resilient in defence as we were just not good enough

3 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

With JWPs two goals and decent aggressive playing style, maybe you can layoff the son-in-law 'pony'.

It wasn’t pony though was it? Even the boy wonder agreed with me, too nice, too easy to play against- his exact words. 

A very very small minority of us were prepared to give Jonsey time to get the aggressive playing style imbedded.  so I don’t think I’ll be taking any lectures from from one of the hysterical drama queens, who were calling for his head.  

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It wasn’t pony though was it? Even the boy wonder agreed with me, too nice, too easy to play against- his exact words. 

A very very small minority of us were prepared to give Jonsey time to get the aggressive playing style imbedded.  so I don’t think I’ll be taking any lectures from from one of the hysterical drama queens, who were calling for his head.  

Typical Duckie. You can tell it's Saturday night. 😁

(Mind you, I agree with a lot of what he is saying).

I'm sold. We're more aggressive than we've been for a very long time .JWP is thriving and that is all Jones. He's going to have his favourite players who we'll disagree with just the same as any other manager does. He's managed to do what many others couldn't,  win at Goodison. 

When we appointed him to say I was underwhelmed was an understatement.  The more I  read about him the more i thought maybe he's what we actually need. Then 1 st few results a d performances came in and it was nope 1st impressions were correct.  After the Forest result something definitely changed maybe clear the air talks or something.  Whatever it was its clear the players are behind him now . He looks quite adaptable to me. Makes changes alot quicker than Ralph(who I was a fan of).

I don't think he'll take to much shit from the players either. Reminding me more and more of Strachan. Let's hope he can go one better and actually win us a trophy 🏆

• Like 2

Credit where credit is due, we look a different team since half time in thr Palace game.. more pressing, less long ball and much less 5 at the back

Players look up for it all of a sudden, he is making positive changes when needed.. I didn’t fundamentally agree with him changing the winning side today but we got the job done

If we get a striker and he can sort out our terrible defence of set pieces then we’re on to something 

I have absolutely no qualms in being proved wrong

Yeah, might as well lock the thread because he’s obviously not going anywhere. Crazy turnaround since the forest performance- I don’t think anyone expected what we’ve seen. Fair play to Jones and the players. Just hope we can keep it up and it’s not just a new manager bounce!

He's taken the brunt of pent up frustrations from Ralph's tenure. He should have been prepared for that. With zero pedigree (from our entitled viewpoint) a poor start was always going to be tough for him.

His somewhat spikey responses haven't helped. That Forest game was terrible and he knows it but since then progress has been good.

He's won over the players and is learning fast. Fans trust will take longer but he's bought himself time.

Hell of a job to do still, but I bet Villa are more nervous about the upcoming game than Saints.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones
  • AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!