Everton 1-2 Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

Alcaraz should be available for Saturday. NJ said he had 50% win ratio and hoping to raise that. But told press conference journos that their questions were ‘very negative’. Quite spiky. Bit defensive. But emphasizing that he will put out a team to be positive and win a football match on Saturday. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DT said:

Alcaraz should be available for Saturday. NJ said he had 50% win ratio and hoping to raise that. But told press conference journos that their questions were ‘very negative’. Quite spiky. Bit defensive. But emphasizing that he will put out a team to be positive and win a football match on Saturday. 

He hasn't got a 50% win ratio; played 7 lost 4. ( Unless he isn't counting Liverpool ).

Edited by badgerx16

20 minutes ago, DT said:

Good on him,  journos do ask some lame questions along the way. Being a native English speaker there is no chance of their cobblers being lost in translation, and if he gets us dug out of our present situation hopefully he can start handing back some of the BS written about him in recent weeks. 

• Like 2

Hope he doesn't do the conservative thing and bring back Adams. When he came on the difference in energy, pressing and movement was absolutely stark.

He's just not a good enough target man to make up for the way he trundles around at 5mph.

And as others have said, no way he sees or makes Mara's run behind Walker yesterday, let alone finishes in that sliver between the keeper's glove and post.

• Like 4

4 points from the next two is a minimum and a must, Everton are beatable and Villa are no great shakes. 6 points and we’ll be in dream land but 4 would be acceptable and keep us in the race for survival. 3 would be borderline ok at a pinch, 2 or fewer and we’re still in big trouble. I’d say we should take baby steps in the league and normally 2 draws would be ok, but we need better than a point per game ratio now and we need to take our chances with the more beatable teams.

Hopefully the cup wins will give us the much needed confidence that we can actually play well if we work hard. Cut the mistakes out and we have a chance. I still think we’re going down but maybe, just maybe, there’s a glimmer of light that we’ve turned a corner and can fight our way to safety. We may be bottom with a poor points accumulation but the teams above us aren’t exactly far away and they’re not pulling up trees themselves. Everton will be tough but if Jones gets it right, with our new signings we can get a result and play Villa at home with a great chance of a win.

Im going for 1-1 at Everton, with fingers and toes crossed we can beat Villa after. Then we get to the cup games with, hopefully, another new recruit or two to come and renewed faith in Prem safety.

These next two games are so important together and in isolation;

Everton as they are so close and it’s immediately after the City performance; Villa because it’s at home and the bulk of unconvinced season ticket holders like me need to see a totally different team than that versus Forest 

We need at least 4/6 but for NJ’s sake 6/6

8 hours ago, DT said:

As someone noted - Jones doesn't need to be our pal.  It helps if you can warm to a Manager, but their competence is more important.    I don't warm to him, and I still doubt him but if he keeps Saints in the Prem he's a folk hero....of sorts.

Just watched both parts of his interviews and I liked what I saw from Jones. He can’t say ‘yep, we were fucking shit against Forest’, but I think he knows we were.

He is saying let’s draw a line and move on together, I like that. He took a much more conciliatory tone. He has shown what he is capable of last night with this team. He has given us something to get behind and believe in. 

He seems so determined to succeed here and is talking confidently, and quite well, about improved performances. He looks to have a real belief in what he is doing and confidence in achieving it.

What we have seen this week, both performance and new signings really is a massive boost. To go from where we were after Forest to where we are now has been crazy. One of the worst performances I can remember seeing to one of the best 90 minutes for some time.

3 points on Saturday with a similar performance and I am a born again Jones guy!

Edited by wooley7
  • Like 5

I work with an Everton ST holder and was speaking to him yesterday. From what he had heard fans were planning a sit in protest after the match (assuming they haven't all left after 18 minutes and 78 seconds...). Doesn't sound particularly organised...

Got a horrible feeling we'll drop the ball against these lot. The first 20mins are key - get in their faces like we did against City and their fans will start to quieten down. Until that point, they really will be the 12th man. There's a toxic feeling around there at the moment, but remember last season how the fans turned that into energy.

Just have a feeling that what'll happen is Lampard will eek out a point or three, and stay on until Potter's sacked, at which point Everton will take him. Until then, their fans will continue to go through the myre and our little burst of form will die off.  2-1 Everton, DCL getting them both and ending up the talking point on MotD.

But, I hope I'm totally wrong. Play like we did on Wednesday, and we'll finally break that Goodison curse.

On 11/01/2023 at 22:44, Pilchards said:

A massive, massive game this Saturday and you sense we will certainly take the game to them.

Shame Lavia will be missing as he was quality against City.

Jones must pick an attacking team and DONT give them too much respect like we did vs Forest.

Have I missed something? Jones said it his presser he's not injured and it was always planned for him to come off on 60 minutes.

50 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Haven't won at Goodison Park since 1997, got walloped 7-1 in 1996, and before that we last won back in April 1992 in the old First Division.

Awful record up there

Time to turn it round then, I guess? Before Wednesday, Pep hadn't lost a single domestic Cup quarter-final.

Damn it, there I go again, making myself feel all optimistic before a game...

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, redsaints106 said:

Have I missed something? Jones said it his presser he's not injured and it was always planned for him to come off on 60 minutes.

That’s fantastic news as I added my comments on the day we played City in what many of us thought he limped off.

We click when he’s playing and I can’t believe he’s only 18 years old.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nta786 said:

Haven't won at Goodison Park since 1997, got walloped 7-1 in 1996, and before that we last won back in April 1992 in the old First Division.

Awful record up there

I was at the win in 1997, was live on sky on a Sunday we hardly had any fans there, Kevin Davies wonder goal.

Quite sad to think it's likely to be our last visit to Goodison, shocking record there but one of the few proper old fashioned grounds left at this level

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, JRM said:

I was at the win in 1997, was live on sky on a Sunday we hardly had any fans there, Kevin Davies wonder goal.

Quite sad to think it's likely to be our last visit to Goodison, shocking record there but one of the few proper old fashioned grounds left at this level

Top tier in the main stand looks like you fall out of it if you jumped out of your seat.

Just now, Toadhall Saint said:

And that gets said every year as well

as does the classic from MLG about how past results can have no impact on a game to be played in the future.

yet clearly something is wrong because we can never win at Everton 

1 minute ago, nta786 said:

as does the classic from MLG about how past results can have no impact on a game to be played in the future.

yet clearly something is wrong because we can never win at Everton 

I think we suffered the same against Coventry away for quite a few years. As for tomorrow- more than happy to be wrong and to go against the football gods.

A win is so crucial to keep a continuity going - currently more chance than a result against Villa too I feel. However not a happy hunting ground for us, so everything once again will need to click. But that’s where we are now - needing to pull rabbits out of hats over and over. Difficult to call - I reckon 1-1.

7 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Looking at the table this game seems to be a bit do or die really. If we can manage to get a win it is game on for the rest of the season. 

it’s a big game but it isn’t the last chance like i’ve seen a few people claim. looking at other teams and watching other games recently bar man city and possibly newcastle on their day, I don’t see stand outs of who are exactly anything to fear in this league despite our current position. A bit of quality, new signings and difference of fortune and we could turn this around even without a win at everton. 

Edited by SotonianWill

Ideally a win, but crucial we don’t lose as Everton would go six points clear of us.

Baz

Lyanco, DCC, Salisu, KWP

Lavia, Diallo

Djenepo, JWP, Armstrong (A)

Adams

I can’t believe I am proposing Diallo and Djenepo to start, but both were superb on Wednesday and am keen to keep things rolling.  So one change for me which is Adams back for Mara

Edited by Forester

I'd go with similar to what worked against City, but with Orsic instead of Armstrong (assuming he's ready). I just really, really hope he doesn't put Che in. Everton defenders will have him in their pocket, just like every other physical CB pairing he's come up against. Need pace against movement against their backline.

4 hours ago, Forester said:

Ideally a win, but crucial we don’t lose as Everton would go six points clear of us.

Baz

Lyanco, DCC, Salisu, KWP

Lavia, Diallo

Djenepo, JWP, Armstrong (A)

Adams

I can’t believe I am proposing Diallo and Djenepo to start, but both were superb on Wednesday and am keen to keep things rolling.  So one change for me which is Adams back for Mara

Yes, he really has to start with the same lineup if performance is to be rewarded.   Djenepo, Diallo and A. Armstrong deserve to keep their starting places as keen as Orsic and Alcaraz must be to get started.   Having said that I'd be happy with Adams to replace Mara, whose goal was superbly taken yet that  was his only real contribution on the night.  Proviso being that Adams isn't isolated....Armstrong in a wide roving forward role supporting him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, austsaint said:

Having said that I'd be happy with Adams to replace Mara, whose goal was superbly taken yet that  was his only real contribution on the night.

The difference is that Mara actually scored with his few contributions. He has a point to prove.
There is just no way in my view that Adams would have had the awareness and finishing ability to get that stunning goal against City.

Mara has to start.

Edited by BotleySaint
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

The difference is that Mara actually scored with his few contributions. He has a point to prove.
There is just no way in my view that Adams would have had the awareness and finishing ability to get that stunning goal against City.

Mara has to start.

Yep, agree with that. Che would never have had the foresight to make the run in front of Walker. And even if he had, he would most likely have just hit a tame shot straight at the keeper.

I remember watching Mara's highlights reel when he signed and the composure in his finishing really stood out for me. Until Wednesday he hadn't had much chance to show it because he had mostly been played out of position. If we play him as a proper striker I genuinely think we'll get more goals from him than we would from Adams.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Everton 1-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic