Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

9 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

Lets see if Wilcox etc are better at picking a striker than Ankersen/Shields. 

Adams will be a big loss,  we won't get better while in this league

Shields didn’t pick any players. Yet again I repeat because Shields left Rasmus was given the job of recruitment without any preparation 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

They (plymouth) have 2  dominating CBs also. If we cant utilise movement, armstrong will be a non-event

I think he is really anyway, I actually think his skillset is strong for this division but just not in out system. He actually played better off the left as a support striker Saturday as his run’s weren’t tracked as effectively by Norwich BUT we do need somebody able to occupy the CBs imo

• Like 1

Cannot fathom anyone of us being upset by Che leaving. Decent player, good guy, maybe he would score the goals to promote us at this level but so bored of watching him and the majority of the squad that aren’t young players. Him, JWP, Stephens, Armstrong x 2, Bednarek, KWP and probably others too..cool if you stay but I’ve seen it all now and it’s not that good that it’s worth being upset about. 👋

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Fabrice29 said:

Cannot fathom anyone of us being upset by Che leaving. Decent player, good guy, maybe he would score the goals to promote us at this level but so bored of watching him and the majority of the squad that aren’t young players. Him, JWP, Stephens, Armstrong x 2, Bednarek, KWP and probably others too..cool if you stay but I’ve seen it all now and it’s not that good that it’s worth being upset about. 👋

It's not so much being upset at him leaving, as being worried that he is the first striker out the door with no signs of another coming in, leaving us with a massively weaker front line.

• Like 5

We’re doing a great job of patting ourselves on the back for selling all our best players. Hoping we’re as smart with recruitment to get us out of this league with all the millions we have…

For all the guff, we appear to only be interested in City kids and ex Swansea players. Massive coincidence.

Edited by LGTL
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

It's not so much being upset at him leaving, as being worried that he is the first striker out the door with no signs of another coming in, leaving us with a massively weaker front line.

Agree. The squad, even with our better players left in it, had become a bit stale and we know most of them aren't good enough for PL football. My concern, and Gillingham showed it, is that whilst we haven't been good enough in recent seasons it can get A LOT worse. Better to keep Che and be competitive in the league this year than to lose him for relative peanuts and have SR foul up getting a replacement. Would all be a bit more reassuring if the momentum of inbound replacements matched the pace of good players going out the door. With the caveat that I haven't watched his press conference, sounds like Martin starting to get a bit frustrated and, if so, that's a concern given he will have been expecting the departures. If all we get between now and the end of the window is a few loans, having pocketed this amount of cash, then I think fans right to be concerned.

Edited by James
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, LGTL said:

We’re doing a great job of patting ourselves on the back for selling all our best players. Hoping we’re as smart with recruitment to get us out of this league with all the millions we have…

Agree , I take no joy whatsoever in the millions coming in , all irrelevant if new signings are no good. Recent record in transfer market doesn't fill me with confidence. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

at the Fans Forum, I thought I heard Martin said there were lots of players wanting to come to Southampton, but we were having to wait for exits.

Surely its just the club being professional and not bandying names about.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, manji said:

Shields didn’t pick any players. Yet again I repeat because Shields left Rasmus was given the job of recruitment without any preparation 

Shields clearly picked Lavia and Larios

1 minute ago, Mr Saints said:

We want Cody Drameh from Leeds according to Romano. Right back who was on loan at Luton last season, they signed him to replace Bree!

Also says we are prepared to wait until January or next summer to sign him. If that's the case then let's hope he's not the sole target to replace KWP when he leaves. 

26 minutes ago, Pat from Poole said:

Alex Bloody Crook just said on Talk Sport to keep an eye on us making a move for Piroe when Adams leaves.

Almost as if the clueless halfwit reads this forum….

He does. I also heard him give a comment recently where he referred to circles close to Saints, trying to attach himself to the CoT. 👋🏼 Alex 🖕🏼 Alex 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Exactly, and it’s exactly what I said about Haaland. If you’re a team in control then opposing sides will play a low block and most teams will be able to defend what’s infront of them, or trying to find space

That becomes more difficult with a physical No9 that backs in, occupies and plays one twos…. Che, at this level, gives us that

I love you SS, you’re one of my forum favourites and have been for many years but can you please drop this modern football low block bollocks 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LGTL said:

For all the guff, we appear to only be interested in City kids and ex Swansea players. Massive coincidence.

No......thats what the media are saying. Lazy jornalism, Wilcox worked for City, Martin worked for Swansea. They do it all the time. It jus means the club are keeping their deals close to their chest. 

• Like 1

People moaning on here about Piroe and Grimes not being good enough for us. Although I’m a Saints season ticket holder I live in South Wales and watched the Swans 20 times last season so have some opinion on them both. Piroe is a proper goal scoring finisher who scores the chances our current “strikers” miss. Grimes is a proper midfielder in that quarterback role. Tidies up keeps the ball and consistently makes accurate passes. Only downside is that he doesn’t shoot enough. They both know Russell and both would flourish in our team. 

5 minutes ago, Appy said:

Has there been any real speculation? 

There was a bit but nothing concrete.

I hoped we’d get him but realistically can see why we haven’t. Martin has said the squad size needs to be reduced, so the absolute best we could hope for is 1-in-1-out at CM and reduce elsewhere. We shipped JWP, Lavia and Diallo from CM but we’ve seen those replaced by Charles, Smallbone and (hopefully) Downes. Martin has said we might need one more so, who knows. But I think we’ll need to do that in other positions first, and it looks slow going on the ones we really want to get rid of.

So no Adams, likely no Grimes or Edwards, Lavia gone, ABK likely gone, JWP gone, kwp likely going, all the dross still here and no incoming as yet. Two weeks to go of course but my confidence in success this year is diminishing. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 7
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

So no Adams, no Grimes, Lavia gone, JWP gone, kwp likely going, all the dross still here and no invoking as yet. Two weeks to go of course but my confidence in success this year is diminishing. 

Yep. It’s been a shite window so far let’s be honest. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

So no Adams, no Grimes, Lavia gone, JWP gone, kwp likely going, all the dross still here and no incoming as yet. Two weeks to go of course but my confidence in success this year is diminishing. 

bizarrely, someone on here was calling Wilcox a genius for our performance this window.

So far, we have bought another Man City kid and a free from Swansea...that is it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

bizarrely, someone on here was calling Wilcox a genius for our performance this window.

So far, we have bought another Man City kid and a free from Swansea...that is it.

Got to give them the benefit of the doubt and Wilcox does seem like he knows what he is doing. That said, seems we've left ourselves a hell of a lot to do in the last two weeks of the window. We must have known that the deals for Tino, JWP and Lavia would get done eventually and roughly how much would be brought in so its a bit odd to see us moving so slowly and that the players we are linked with are either loans (Downes, Holgate) or swaps (Paintsil). Given how slow we've been it makes even less sense that we spent big money on Shea Charles. Don't get me wrong, he might be very good for us, but if he's the major signing of the window it will definitely have been an underwhelming one. 

12 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

So no Adams, likely no Grimes or Edwards, Lavia gone, JWP gone, kwp likely going, all the dross still here and no incoming as yet. Two weeks to go of course but my confidence in success this year is diminishing. 

But it was known this was going to be a roller coaster ride of a transfer window. I think all of us are hoping by the end of the ride we have new players in the building which can help a promotion push. Still two weeks left. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

When does the transfer window close ? tomorrow? Oh no we have nearly two weeks, why not be patient and have faith in the recruitment? Its different than before, we have been told there are players we are interested in coming once we clear spaces. Can't the meltdown wait until the window closes? Probably answered my own question though every transfer window is the same meltdowns 2 weeks before it closes 😒

• Like 2

Just now, Saints4Prem said:

When does the transfer window close ? tomorrow? Oh no we have nearly two weeks, why not be patient and have faith in the recruitment? Its different than before, we have been told there are players we are interested in coming once we clear spaces. Can't the meltdown wait until the window closes? Probably answered my own question though every transfer window is the same meltdowns 2 weeks before it closes 😒

forgive me, but these exact words were uttered this time last year, and in January in fact.

in the meantime, we are leaking like a siv, despite having the ball most of the time...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Saints4Prem said:

Unfortunately we still have to play games over the next two weeks. We are now significantly thinner on quality and given our reserves got spanked by Gillingham and we conceded 4 at home with our so called best available XI it strikes me as though we could do with some recruits now rather than in two weeks followed by another few weeks whilst they bed in.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Doctoroncall said:

But it was known this was going to be a roller coaster ride of a transfer window. I think all of us are hoping by the end of the ride we have new players in the building which can help a promotion push. Still two weeks left. 

I don't think anyone wasn't aware it woukd be a roller coaster of a window and I acknowledged that there was two weeks left. I did expect more than two players in at this point though given the outgoings and rumoured outgoings. I remember well last summer when loads gave the window a 9 or a 10 rating and tried to claim that we'd addressed the lack of a striker by bringing in Mara. We do tend to talk a good game not necessarily backed up by actions. Let's hope so. 

Edited by hypochondriac

Just now, hypochondriac said:

I don't think anyone wasn't aware it woukd be a roller coaster of a window and I acknowledged that there was two weeks left. I did expect more than two players in at this point though given the outgoings and rumoured outgoings. 

It’s not 2 though. Smallbone and Tella have come in and all signs suggest the club wants to keep them, and Downes sounds like it’s pretty much over the line bar personal illness so its 5 new faces.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I don't think anyone wasn't aware it woukd be a roller coaster of a window and I acknowledged that there was two weeks left. I did expect more than two players in at this point though given the outgoings and rumoured outgoings. 

We keep being told the squad is bloated, but is it?

Willy, Tino, Orsic, Diallo, Theo, DCC, AMN, Mo, Lavia, JwP, Salisu (plus other fringe players) have already departed the first team squad, with only 3x coming in, and we are already stretched in CM and CB.

That is before the likelihood of Adams, Big Paul, KwP, AbK and Sully leave...along with the usual unexpected departure

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 2

I feel pretty relaxed about it all, must be an age thingy, and reckon we're in a pretty good place right now. We weren't getting players in before others were sold, it's no secret we're trying to trim a bloated squad. If some of the sales going out fell through and had already brought in new faces we could have ended up with an even more bloated squad and some big earners still around and in a bit of financial schtuk.

If no-one new in a couple of weeks then I might raise an eyebrow.

• Like 5

Players that have left:

Good

- Lavia

- JWP

- Tino

- ABK (certain, surely?)

- Sully (certain, surely?)

- Adams (pretty much confirmed)

- Salisu

Not good

- Diallo

- DCC

- Ely

- AMN

- Walcott

Players that have come in:

- Charles (not sure if good or bad, but seems to be the former)

- Manning (not sure!)

In summary, those of you who are feeling a bit apprehensive and pessimistic about transfers have reason to be. Let's be honest though, did we expect anything else? I'm sure we will get replacements (Tella and Smallbone are almost like new recruits) where we need them, but until we do I can understand the nerves.

Let's distance those nerves from our confidence going into games, though. There's a lot of positives to take despite the porous defence and midfield.

We'll get there.

Edited by sfc4prem
  • Like 1

Genius play would have been seeing evidence of planning and foresight. Deals don't happen overnight, those at the club would have known that Livramento, Lavia and Ward-Prowse would have brought in big fees at least a week prior to them actually leaving. However, our only incomings are still the two that came in before they left and we're now going into two games with a dodgy, overly attacking midfield and potentially no Adams to come off the bench and help us tomorrow like he has the last two games. I wanted to see replacements immediately following the big departures, rather than a few weeks after, giving them less time to bed into the squad and putting more pressure on the players to kick start right away. 

Now, clubs know we've got a lot of money that's just come in to play with, so they're going to ask for a bit more for their players. It would have even been better to sign the Lavia/JWP replacement before they actually left like we did with Charles. Now, that would have been a genius move, as I said every fan knew Lavia was going this summer, so his departure wasn't a shock, 75% knew JWP was going, so again his departure wasn't too shocking, Livramento's was a bit of a surprise, but we have KWP and Bree. So, if the clubs people weren't able to foresee their departures and get in suitable replacements before the inevitable then that's slightly concerning.

I know there's still plenty of time, but I've been burned by last summer's deadline day and all the talk of being relaxed prior - Caleta-Car, Edozie, Larios and Maitland-Niles when we were all certain a striker would be coming in and then the January window, where we again threw loads of matches because we acted at the last minute to get a striker, a not very good one in Onuachu and a young potential, but not immediate starter in Sulemana.

A lot of talk of the big squad also, but given all the money we've raked in, surely we can afford to start taking losses/loaning out the likes of Onuachu, Djenepo, Lyanco, Mara and McCarthy. I can't really believe there aren't any clubs in world football who wouldn't take a loan deal on these players. Looking at Turkey here.

Lets hope the club pull something out for once.

• Like 1