New Manager Thread v3

Dman

1 hour ago, Mr Nimbus said:

I've been thinking about this over the weekend. I have talked myself into thinking Gerrard wouldn't be the worst shout.

I can't even quantify how I have come to that, maybe it would be seen as a "name" appointment.

I think he would be a draw for players in the Championship. I also completely agree with those who have said we desperately need some experience. 

I think you only have to look at Villa today to realise that Gerrard is a failed manager, he'll never make it on his own.

This is the same crop of Villa players and they're pushing into 50 points after he was risking to relegate them in November, quite an incredible change and it doesn't really show Gerrard in a positive light what so ever.

He had his chance and he blew it, might get some ambitious L2 club giving him a gig, but he needs to re-build his rep if he wants to be a manager.

• Like 8

Surely they'll be decent options this summer. Given the SR investment, we should be a relatively attractive proposition (assuming Semmens fucks off, and Rasmus backs off a bit).

Which prem jobs will be up for grabs? Not many.

And there's quite a few candidates.

It could be good: assuming Rasmus shuts his laptop, parks his hipster shit and let's Wilcox earn his corn.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I think they will stick with Selles - they really are that much out of their depth (and pocket).

Christ if we continue with Selles I might have to tune out of next season. Bloke is a fraud, just as bad as Jones but speaks more politely and wears a polo neck. He is the only constant, from a coaching perspective, in this absolutely woeful season.

• Like 5

Surely there's no way Selles stays at the end of the season, particularly with relegation is confirmed as early as it's likely to be.

I'd probably aim for Cooper if he's sacked soon - his Championship record is 3 for 3 on at least getting into the play-offs. If Middlesbrough don't go up then Carrick has to be on the list, what he's achieved there has been phenomenal.

We'd be an attractive squad in the Championship - there'd be a degree of rebuild in defence and midfield as I expect we'll lose a lot of our squad there, but if we can hang onto some of the younger players and invest in experience, there's something exciting to work with there. It's going to be hard though, real hard, and we need to be proactive, decisive and quick as soon as relegation is confirmed (if it's still in doubt for anyone at the club already)

Don't pretend to understand our management decisions anyway.  Ralph wasn't all that great in his last months but we sacked him and appointed two absolutely useless idiots to do the job. We've gotten it completely wrong by trying to be clever, spent (or rather wasted) 110 million or so to boot,  now we need to clear them all out and start over with a completely new management team.

• Like 5

Not sure why anybody would be looking at Gerrard or Vieira. Neither deserve the job and their successors have immediately proved that they were both doing a poor job. Vieira perhaps less so, but the Palace fans I spoke to on Saturday were saying how Roy has just changed some "obvious things" Vieira was falling short on and now they're twice the team.

I'd be happy with Cooper if they get rid, and I'd also be looking at Carrick if Middlesbrough don't get out the play-offs. 

Don't trust them to get it right after Jones, so it wouldn't surprise me if we ended up with Wilder.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Not sure why anybody would be looking at Gerrard or Vieira. Neither deserve the job and their successors have immediately proved that they were both doing a poor job. Vieira perhaps less so, but the Palace fans I spoke to on Saturday were saying how Roy has just changed some "obvious things" Vieira was falling short on and now they're twice the team.

I'd be happy with Cooper if they get rid, and I'd also be looking at Carrick if Middlesbrough don't get out the play-offs. 

Don't trust them to get it right after Jones, so it wouldn't surprise me if we ended up with Wilder.

Why on earth would you look at Cooper if you disregard Vieira and Gerrard?

I m not at all impressed by Notts Forest play and style and they are on verge of being relegated.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

I m not at all impressed by Notts Forest play and style and they are on verge of being relegated.

Because I watched them play in the Championship in 21/22. The absolute shitshow that they've become this year is not a full reflection on Cooper, in my opinion.

There are little to no positives for the other two, unless Beale is holding Gerrard's hand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevy777_x said:

Not sure about Viera or Gerrard, but Cooper has very recent history of being brilliant in the Championship

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Forest’s downfall this season will be the scatter-gun transfer approach, high actually isn’t too dissimilar to ours.

And who else did that - Chelsea? Managers don't want loads of prima donnas to choose from. That said, there isn't much of a nucleus in our current squad that's worth keeping. Still don't want Gerrard, Vieira or Cooper anywhere near our club and Selles surely won't need paying off...I don't want failures but at the same time don't know enough of who's out there who can rebuild teams and motivate overpaid, privileged pri*ks.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, James said:

Christ if we continue with Selles I might have to tune out of next season. Bloke is a fraud, just as bad as Jones but speaks more politely and wears a polo neck. He is the only constant, from a coaching perspective, in this absolutely woeful season.

A fraud… judging someone after 9 games. Way to go Saints fans

1 hour ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

And who else did that - Chelsea? Managers don't want loads of prima donnas to choose from. That said, there isn't much of a nucleus in our current squad that's worth keeping. Still don't want Gerrard, Vieira or Cooper anywhere near our club and Selles surely won't need paying off...I don't want failures but at the same time don't know enough of who's out there who can rebuild teams and motivate overpaid, privileged pri*ks.

just goes to show ,at Chelsea it wasn't the fault of Potter,just the fact that team have seemingly put down tools and aren't willing to put a shift in for 90 minutes. Ours put a shift in ,but on the training ground.

• Like 1

Callum Davenport has been sacked by St Johnstone.

He's a young manager, will be desperate to show them they were wrong and has unfinished business at St Mary's.

As a former player he'd fit right in and would have the fans right behind him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, The Cat said:

He's a young manager, will be desperate to show them they were wrong and has unfinished business at St Mary's.

Probably the worst centre half ever to pull on a Saints shirt. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, The Cat said:

When did he play for us 

40 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Do you mean Callum Davidson? He was the former PNE defender who rocked up as manager in the SPL.

Never played for us unless my memory is failing!

Would definitely take Cooper. He knows the Championship inside out and would get us promoted IMO. No way he survives past the end of the season at Forest.

Other then that, Mark Robins has done a steady job at Coventry over the last few years, and again knows the Championship. Michael Carrick would be another good shout but can’t see him leaving Boro. 

You can guarantee though we’ll appoint some dinlo and another relegation battle awaits. 

• Like 2

On 15/04/2023 at 19:40, Kenilworthy said:

We need to make the appointment now to give as long as possible to prepare for next season. I don't think the team we put out today would even win games in the Championship. It is a total reset we need.

Although I agree that we need a new manager, now is not the time. New manager comes in and we lose the rest of our games this season. New manager already on back foot.

48 minutes ago, The Cat said:

It’s Davidson. Completely different bloke. 

2 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

A fraud… judging someone after 9 games. Way to go Saints fans

Not really 9 games when he’s the only constant over the whole season from a coaching perspective. But, either way, are you saying you’ve seen enough in these “9 games” to give him the benefit of a doubt for next season?

We can’t score and we can’t defend and everything Selles describes in terms of tactics is the polar opposite of what is happening on the pitch. Either he can’t translate his ideas onto the pitch (he’s basically had a season’s worth of input in total) or his ideas are cr*p. 

Pretty surprised anyone who has watched us recently can conclude that anything other than wholesale change from a coaching perspective is what we need here.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, madge said:

Although I agree that we need a new manager, now is not the time. New manager comes in and we lose the rest of our games this season. New manager already on back foot.

We are already going to lose all our remaining games. New manager might get some points

11 hours ago, James said:

Agreed 100%

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Do you mean Callum Davidson? He was the former PNE defender who rocked up as manager in the SPL.

Never played for us unless my memory is failing!

Oh crap. I heard it on the radio yesterday and thought they said Davenport.

Oh well, maybe we should give this Davidson guy a shot, can't do much worse than the others.

36 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

What’s your thoughts about bringing in another manager as a last hope of survival?

Think the fans will like this temp gamble.

We could bring in Pep for the remaining games, we’d still go down. It’s far too late.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

What’s your thoughts about bringing in another manager as a last hope of survival?

4 managers in the one season, dont think even Watford managed that. We dont have a last hope of survival. Selles' appointment was sheer desperation but bringing in yet another manager would be tragic beyond belief. Plus who is there available at this stage willing to accept a relegation on their CV.

Hopefully all efforts right now are going into identifying the right manager for next season. They need to have had managerial success in a top league or at least achieved promotion from the Championship. Opting for somebody like Carrick if he fails to get Boro promoted is like appointing another Jones. His playing career has no relevance

9 hours ago, Pilchards said:

I’m already resigned to relegation. We’ve been soo bad, but somehow are still in touching distance, it just feels like everyone is doing their best to go down this season. 

Our only chance of staying up is bringing in a firefighter for the last few games. Pulis? Local to the area, will get us to grind out a result or 2, might play to big Paul’s strengths. 

I think the board are resigned to relegation as well though. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dman said:

I’m already resigned to relegation. We’ve been soo bad, but somehow are still in touching distance, it just feels like everyone is doing their best to go down this season. 

Our only chance of staying up is bringing in a firefighter for the last few games. Pulis? Local to the area, will get us to grind out a result or 2, might play to big Paul’s strengths. 

I think the board are resigned to relegation as well though. 

The board are not accepting relegation as we speak and I was told we are looking at a temp for the last few games.

Should hear something in the next few days if all goes well.

Fingers crossed.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Pilchards said:

The board are not accepting relegation as we speak and I was told we are looking at a temp for the last few games.

Should hear something in the next few days if all goes well.

Fingers crossed.

Presumably that would be the end for Selles here. He surely wouldn't go back to being a coach or assistant.

I am going to suggest a name that has been mentioned often on here for us next season in the Championship. 

I think Peter Bosz CDAJFU next season. He was linked to FC Twente recently but has been out of work since being sacked by Lyon. 

Bosz likes to play fast attacking football, something that would be suicidal in the Premier League for us, but in the Championship next season when we should have one of the biggest budgets and should be fighting for the top spot I think it would work. 

The problem with Bosz is that he does what he wants and won’t listen to the likes Ankerson or Semmens. Together with someone like Alfred Schreuder, who has a reputation to rebuild after a torrid time at Ajax, I think we could win promotion and be a joy to watch. 

It would cost a bit and take some persuading, but I recon with good recruitment and a big budget they would to the punt in joining us. 

• Like 1